Capello "Rio did not turn up"

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 3K
I wish people would stop saying that it does not matter. For me, captaining your country is the ultimate honour.

I wish people would stop saying that it does not matter. For me, captaining your country is the ultimate honour.

This. If I was captain of my country, it would be the pinacle of my career-it would give me so much honour and pride. Its more than just an armband, it's leading YOUR country into battle against another country (in footballing terms). Just an armband is garbage. I'd give my left arm to be captain of the 3 Lions.

I know what you mean, there are so many leaders in the team so an armband doesn't really matter.

Having said that - if i was captain of my country, I would be so proud. To have that right taken away from you like it has been done is silly, I'd be disappointed and upset. Captaining your country has got to be one of if not the biggest honour for a player.

This, while i think we obsess too much, to captain you country is an honour and a massive deal, just read the opinions of any england captain, in any sport (met Nick Easter about it and he was almost in tears over the pride of being captain)

We have fans who are so passionate about the arm band then have to wonder how Rio will be feeling when it was taken off him.

Arm band is not just an arm band. It is you are representing/Leading bunch of superstars. Like ajt09 said, i would give anything to captain my country in the major tournament. It would be an honor and the best moment of the career.

Sorry for multi quoting

I don't think we obsess with it too much at all, you look up to the captain and the country looks to the captain. It must mean so much to lead our your country on a big stage, to represent the country as you come together as a community for a game of football.

I say this because just look at Martin Johnson when we led England. When he won the World Cup - they say a picture speaks a thousand words or whatever it is they say.
I meant in a media sense, but I agree that its such a big deal for any player

this is england, we spend more time talking about snoods, girlfriends and armbands, than tactics, formations and performances sadly

exactly. it's pathetic. Should be a 'radio silence' when England play, the media should be banned.

I'm sorry, but how does an armband make any difference?
You don't suddenly put it on and become a leader do you?

A fully fit England side will have at least 3 club captains, (Stevie, JT, Rio) and I bet Stevie and JT/now Rio were just as big an influence without the armband as they were with it. Gerrard's actually better when he isn't captaining the side.

It's a burden more than a plus imo.

exactly. it's pathetic. Should be a 'radio silence' when England play, the media should be banned.

A fully fit England side will have at least 3 club captains, (Stevie, JT, Rio) and I bet Stevie and JT/now Rio were just as big an influence without the armband as they were with it. Gerrard's actually better when he isn't captaining the side.

Jones, it does make a difference, like i said i was lucky enough to speak to Nick Easter, and he talked about how it lifts you and seems to make you determined to lift your game. If you are a natural leader, getting the band just seems to give you that edge

Jones, it does make a difference, like i said i was lucky enough to speak to Nick Easter, and he talked about how it lifts you and seems to make you determined to lift your game. If you are a natural leader, getting the band just seems to give you that edge

Surely it has to be different depending on the person. Someone like Terry would thrive off of being captain whereas maybe another person wouldn't want the hype and pressure that surrounds the captaincy. No doubt it would be an honour for them, but it might hinder some players.

Surely it has to be different depending on the person. Someone like Terry would thrive off of being captain whereas maybe another person wouldn't want the hype and pressure that surrounds the captaincy. No doubt it would be an honour for them, but it might hinder some players.
yeah i agree, thats why i mention about being a natural leader, for those players in enhances their game,

Although many believe the armband nothing i think it means more to Terry than it does to both Gerrard and Ferdinand. Lets get something straight here both Terry and Ferdinand have not fallen out and have no reason to do so. Capello's decision is not a poor one but the way he handled the whole situation has been poor. Terry thrives on wearing a captains armband and i believe it makes him a better player.

yeah i agree, thats why i mention about being a natural leader, for those players in enhances their game,

Gerrard is a natural leader?
yet always performs better without the arm band...

This is so, so childish of both Terry and Ferdinand. Both great leaders but the squabbles about a pretty pointless armband are stupid. It clearly means more to Terry for whatever reason although when you sleep with your mates ex-girlfriend's do you really deserve it?

Rio rang Terry to congraluate him.....

England manager Fabio Capello has confirmed that there was a chance for him and Rio Ferdinand to meet. He said they had a chance at Manchester United's Champions League game against Marseille last week and he did not turn up. Capello said he was in the directers box and Ferdinand did not show up so thats why they didnt talk.

Rio is obviously ****** off about it (not that I blame him). But for god sake it is only an armband.

This is why he didnt meet him.....

You've missed something quite important out though. Capello was at the back of a director's box; do you really think a crowded box, in the middle of a match, is a suitable place for a high level and important discussion? Rio was probably a little hurt that his captaincy held so little value for Capello that he couldn't make time to talk to him about it one on one.

Squabbling over a pointless armband is childish. I know you hate me making references about myself however if I was dropped as captain for whatever reason, I'd respect the manager's decision and just get on with it. It doesn't make you any less of a leader or any less important.

The manager made the decision about the armband long before he went to a crowded directors box to speak to Rio, infront of god know how many people, Rio probalaly didnt talk to him because he didt want to make a scene by saying how he really felt... On that note, what the **** is capello doing in the Utd directors box, he aint welcome.

What's Capello actually done to upset Ferdinand? From what I have read, Capello arranged to meet Rio and he failed to turn up..

He didnt arrange nothing, His assistant told Rio he was still captain of England, then a media link a week later stated that Capello would re-hire John Terry. Which capello wanted to EXPLAIN the decision to Rio rather then Inform.. He let him know via the ******* News of the world.

I haven't said anything about the meeting. I don't see how Capello has handled it so badly? Sure he expected to meet Rio at the Marseille game but it is only a switchover of the armband. It's not like he's forcing him into retirement or anything.

There has been numerous reports from the media about Rio being upset or whatever about it. I don't see why, what's the big deal about an armband?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9424957.stm

Well there's the first one I could find, I could find more but I cannot be arsed. I don't see why? Rio is injured, he had nothing to do with the game.

There is nothing from Rio in them though is there. I be ****** too, but he isnt starting some sort of public feud with Terry or Capello, He has rang terry to congraluate him.

Gerrard is a natural leader?
yet always performs better without the arm band...
eh? considering how gerrard had actually played better WITH the armband for england recently cant see how that works,

I know its nowhere near the same level - but Mike is right, I used to captain my local rugby team when I was 15. Spurred me on to no end and losing just wasn't an option anymore, I wanted to make my team look up to me. Just the sense of pride you get from being a captain, no matter how small the level you do it at.

I know its nowhere near the same level - but Mike is right, I used to captain my local rugby team when I was 15. Spurred me on to no end and losing just wasn't an option anymore, I wanted to make my team look up to me. Just the sense of pride you get from being a captain, no matter how small the level you do it at.

I agree with that, Being a new captain at my local cricket club last year, was such a great feeling, I am naturally a loud bloke anyway, who use to bang orders around in the field and be the main source of encouragement, but the small things, like meeting your opposite number, being the team representive in most situations, people asking you for directions, is such a great feeling and it is something that really spurs you on.

Tell that to David Beckham

YouTube - Beckham vs Greece(H) 2001

Back