Carling cup thread 2011/12

luke797

Reaction score
The draw for the first round is tomorrow morning at 10am.
Im not normally interested in this tournament as we always seem to go out in the first round but because we finished in the top half of league 1 we are seeded so will hopefully have a good chance of making the 2nd round! :p
The first round includes all teams in the football league(except birmingham) and is split into north and south as follows...

North (Seeded): 1.Barnsley, 2.Blackpool, 3.Burnley, 4.Carlisle United, 5.Coventry City, 6.Derby County, 7.Doncaster Rovers, 8.Huddersfield Town, 9.Hull City, 10.Leeds United, 11.Leicester City, 12.Middlesbrough, 13.Nottingham Forest, 14.Preston North End, 15.Rochdale, 16.Scunthorpe United, 17.Sheffield United

North (Unseeded): 1.Accrington Stanley, 2.Bradford City, 3.Burton Albion, 4.Bury, 5.Chesterfield, 6.Crewe Alexandra, 7.Hartlepool United, 8.Macclesfield Town, 9.Morecambe, 10.Notts County, 11.Oldham Athletic, 12.Port Vale, 13.Rotherham United, 14.Sheffield Wednesday, 15.Shrewsbury Town, 16.Tranmere Rovers, 17.Walsall

South (Seeded): 1.AFC Bournemouth, 2.Brentford, 3.Brighton & Hove Albion, 4.Bristol City, 5.Cardiff City, 6.Colchester United, 7.Crystal Palace, 8.Exeter City, 9.Ipswich Town, 10.Leyton Orient, 11.Millwall, 12.Milton Keynes Dons, 13.Peterborough United, 14.Portsmouth, 15.Reading, 16.Southampton, 17.Watford, 18.West Ham United

South (Unseeded): 1.Aldershot Town, 2.Barnet, 3.Bristol Rovers, 4.Charlton Athletic, 5.Cheltenham Town, 6.Crawley Town/AFC Wimbledon, 7.Dagenham & Redbridge, 8.Gillingham, 9.Hereford United, 10.Northampton Town, 11.Oxford United, 12.Plymouth Argyle, 13.Southend United, 14.Stevenage, 15.Swindon Town, 16.Torquay United, 17.Wycombe Wanderers, 18.Yeovil Town

What do you think of your teams chances and who do you want in the first round? for me i wouldnt mind a local home game against plymouth,torquay or yeovil :)

stupid cup :(:'(

lol still feels bad

hope we go all the way and win it this time!

and birmingham get knocked out early ;)

Last edited:
Ahhh, it feels good not to be in the 1st round anymore!

stupid cup :(:'(

lol still feels bad

hope we go all the way and win it this time!

and birmingham get knocked out early ;)
well birmingham get a bye for winning it but maybe you might knock them out in 3rd round ;)
did you go watch the final last year?

well birmingham get a bye for winning it but maybe you might knock them out in 3rd round ;)
did you go watch the final last year?

last year?!

i thought it was February ;)

and no i didn't go thank god

AFC Wimbledon/Crawley, Barnet or Aldershit Away Please...

This is the one cup I dont really care about. Well I do start caring about it more once Chelsea reach about the semis.

Last edited:
Why do people not care about this cup? You get into the Europa League for winning it.

I hope we get either Bradford or Sheff Weds and smash them :D

Why do people not care about this cup? You get into the Europa League for winning it.

Most teams probably see it as a distraction to the league i guess :S mainly the big teams who put out a weaker team. i think it would be better if first rounds wernt seeded as it would give lower teams more of a chance of making later rounds like in fa cup but then they would probably be too similar... who do you support?

There's a chance we might get wednesday in the first round which would make things interesting.

But tbh we never do well in this competition and furthes we have ever been is tothe semis.

City, Reading, Brentford or West Ham please

It's generally the fans of the big sides that don't care about it (me included, if you can call Arsenal that), so 'Getting into the Europa Cup' is a pointless venture, considering those teams usually qualify for the Champions League anyway.

Just sayin'.

It's generally the fans of the big sides that don't care about it (me included, if you can call Arsenal that), so 'Getting into the Europa Cup' is a pointless venture, considering those teams usually qualify for the Champions League anyway.

Just sayin'.
Yes I think that's probably the reason but surely teams still want to win as many cups they can(especially arsenal :p) even if it isn't the most prestigious.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

The Football League | News | Carling Cup News | Carling Cup News | Carling Cup Round 1 draw highlights
Rochdale v Chesterfield
Port Vale v Huddersfield Town
Rotherham United v Leicester City
Hull City v Macclesfield Town
Hartlepool United v Sheffield United
Leeds United v Bradford City
Doncaster Rovers v Tranmere Rovers
Walsall v Middlesbrough
Barnsley v Morecambe
Accrington Stanley v Scunthorpe United
Derby County v Shrewsbury Town
Oldham Athletic v Carlisle United
Bury v Coventry City
Sheffield Wednesday v Blackpool
Burnley v Burton Albion
Preston North End v Crewe Alexandra
Nottingham Forest v Notts County
Brighton & Hove Albion v Gillingham
AFC Bournemouth v Dagenham & Redbridge
Ipswich Town v Northampton Town
Cheltenham Town v Milton Keynes Dons
Bristol Rovers v Watford
Plymouth Argyle v Millwall
Oxford United v Cardiff City
West Ham United v Aldershot Town
Southampton v Torquay United
Charlton Athletic v Reading
Portsmouth v Barnet
Stevenage v Peterborough United
Southend United v Leyton Orient
Wycombe Wanderers v Colchester United
Hereford United v Brentford
Exeter City v Yeovil Town
Bristol City v Swindon Town
Crystal Palace v Crawley Town/AFC Wimbledon

Happy with that. local home game v yeovil :)

Yes I think that's probably the reason but surely teams still want to win as many cups they can(especially arsenal :p) even if it isn't the most prestigious.

The Problem is the money for winning it is nothing compared to the Champs league or League, so the bigger clubs competitiin for them, arent going to be too fussed at not winning it, as the more games they play in it, tiredness, injury comes into effect.
Sad state but the FA cup will head tht way as well soon.

Millwall at home...

I don't think we should bother putting back those seats Exeter Fans ripped out, they won't be there by the end of the night! Suppose it only means £££ for the policing bill.

Sods law suggests a gate of under 5k, a large policing presence, and a Jimmy Abdou hatrick as we lose 3-0. Good old Carling Cup!

Will proberly go to West ham v Aldershot as I usually do go to West hams cup games with a few mates.