MoarFootball

Reaction score
This FM story is about dragging Coventry from the depths of administration and league one to the heights of the Premier League, financial stability and beyond. This is my first FM story and thread on this website so, by all means, feel free to give me some tips. Anyways, hope you enjoy this thread and be sure to drop some feedback from time to time.

Thanks.

I will follow.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Friendlies and getting to know the side

View attachment 394093
Friendlies, 2013
So, the idea behind this save is to take Coventry to the Premier League and ensure that they become a stable club once again. The start of this season is quite bleak as the club find themselves starting the league season with -10 points, in administration and also playing in a stadium that isn't theirs. It's not all bleak, though. The club boast some exciting young players and most of the squad is homegrown. On that front, let's take a look at the friendlies and how we did:

View attachment 394092

I quite enjoyed our friendlies and felt as though I began to get a feel for the side's qualities. Friendlies are never an indication of how well you'll do in competitive games, but it was nice to have some high scoring wins and clean-sheets. I did feel as though the squad was lacking in certain areas so I went ahead and made three signings:
View attachment 394091

Both loanees arrived on 3 month deals which was the best we could do on a shoestring budget of ?0 and nearing -?400 p/w. The reasoning behind the signings was almost due to injuries alone. Danny Redmond, a predominantly left-sided midfielder, joined due to Denzel Slager's 9-week injury. The squad was quite bare, in terms of depth, in that position so Redmond would fill that hole until Slager's return. Rory Donnelly was a player who excited me massively and the only one on the list who did not join due to injury. His ability to play on the right hand side and up-front meant that he would be a key player for our side - squad versatility is key when you cannot afford to constantly purchase players. The final signing was Maik Taylor on a free. Taylor was an odd one which I nearly regretted due to his age, but it had to be done. Murphy, our first choice goalkeeper, suffered a 6-week injury and I loaned out 2nd choice goalkeeper, Burge, because he was not good enough for this level (albeit, he is 20 and has decent potential). Taylor joined as a player/goalkeeping coach, at the age of 41, and would be our first choice goalkeeper until Murphy's return. His experience will prove to be invaluable over the course of this season. Our outs were players who needed some loan moves to develop.

View attachment 394090

So, this is how we're lining up this season. Apologies for the screen not showing the goalkeeper but my skin (Scorpio v2) covers up the goalkeepers name. I have found this formation to be both great, and frustrating. Most of the time, it has been great and I wouldn't change it considering where I am at the moment with the save. The side you are seeing is my 1st team. The idea behind this formation is to control the game, and possession. Usually at this level, I feel as though possession based football isn't always a necessity due to the fact that teams don't boast players who are as good as your Ramsey's, Carrick's etc. But it works for me. John Fleck is excellent with the ball at his feet, as is Moussa. As the story progresses, you will see exactly why I love this formation. *hint* it's due to my centre-forward pairing.

Anyhow, that concludes the friendlies and getting to know the side. Let me know what you think. Expect a run-through the month of August over the coming hour.

August! The season begins... With -10 points...

August was a month where I found myself not expecting much from the side, yet I was pleasantly surprised with how we performed. Starting with -10 points was a massive drawback but its great that I was already plucking points off sides that I knew would be in that relegation battle (Carlisle, etc.) Without further ado, let's look at the fixtures and how we did:
View attachment 394089

As you can see, we only suffered one loss in the month. Okay, maybe two if you count being knocked out on penalties by Leeds (whom we played off the park). That's a brief look at the fixtures, let's start with Crawley win and see what happened:

View attachment 394088

I didn't expect much going into this game. Certainly not a win. I looked at Crawley's side and thought I would be happy with a draw and, up until the 62nd minute, we found ourselves looking at a 1-1 scoreline which I would have been quite happy with... Until we received a free-kick from 28-yards out. Our star player, John Fleck, scored a wonderful goal from the free-kick (he later went on to win goal of the month with that effort) and our side grew in confidence. Nathan Delfouneso doubled his tally for the day, heading in a delightful cross from John Fleck. That goal sealed the three points; three massive points. We were now on -7 points and looking forward to our Capital One Cup opener against MK Dons:

View attachment 394085

This was one of those games where you truly see how much Football Manager takes you on a roller-coaster of emotions. This game was jam-packed with drama and our equaliser had me celebrating as though my beloved Arsenal or Deportivo de La Coruna had scored in real life. As you can see by the scoreline, we won on penalties. But even that wasn't the most dramatic moment. Loanee Rory Donnelly scored his first goal of the season, three minutes in, but we would go on to be dominated by MK Dons for the majority of the game. Izale McLeod prospered from a defensive blunder as he equalised on the 64th minute. In extra time, after 99 minutes, I had already admitted defeat in my head. Dominic Samuel scored from a corner and I was devastated. The clock ran down, nothing happened. The 4th official signaled 2 minutes of added time; the 2 minutes ran out, nothing happened. The clock struck 123 minutes. We had a corner. I corner I was certain would be cleared out, leading to the referee calling an end to this pulsating game. Danny Redmond whipped the corner in and, much to my amazement, Danny Seabourne towered over an MK Dons player and headed the ball in. I went bonkers, as you could imagine. The penalty shoot-out was intense as neither side intended on missing. Eventually, Dominic Samuel had his penalty saved by Maik Taylor and Danny Redmond scored the winning penalty in sudden death the take us through to the 2nd round. An amazing tie which ensured that I would become emotionally invested in this save. Moving on...

View attachment 394082

Our incredible start to the season continued as we beat Bristol City, a side whom I believed would be around the play-off positions at the end of the season. This game lacked chances, we defended excellently and reduced Bristol City to long range shots which hardly troubled Maik Taylor. Jordan Clarke, in the 56th minute, volleyed home from a John Fleck corner and we found ourselves well on our way to running out of the bottom of the table. -4 points from two games meant two back-to-back wins, something I did not expect when going into the Crawley game. Our side plays some delightful, yet efficient football.

View attachment 394078

Now this, this was a phenomenal win. We outplayed a side, away from home, who would be around the relegation zone/bottom end of the table. These results are crucial early on because it means you can begin to climb over the sides around you. Where do I even start? This is where you guys will begin to see something that has excited me heavily in this save: the Rory Donnelly-Nathan Delfouneso partnership. I rarely ever play FM with two centre-forwards as I find it to be a rigid way of approaching the game (yeah, I know) but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the two aforementioned strikers linked up. They weren't just scoring, but they were assisting each other too. To compare it to modern day football, it was almost like the Sturridge-Suarez partnership. Goals, assists. They both have it and play excellently in unison. Delfouneso's two goals were assisted by Donnelly, and Donnelly's only goal was assisted by Delfouneso. An impressive result that put us on -1 points.

View attachment 394070

This result was annoying, to say the least. Twice we took the lead, twice we were pegged back. But a point is a point. John Fleck was sublime, once again. He scored twice and ensured that we overturned our 10 point deficit. We were now on 0 points - something I did not expect to achieve in the 1st four games.

View attachment 394067

Another dramatic cup game, another penalty shoot-out. But this time it was frustrating on our end. We scored first, were pinned back in the 65th minute, and then fell into the trap of extra-time again. I thought this was going to be a cup scalp after Callum Wilson scored in extra-time. This was it... Or was it? With two minutes to go, Leeds broke through our defence and Samed Yesil had the audacity to nonchalantly lift the ball over Maik Taylor. I was shattered. Penalties came and we were dreadful. Two missed penalties meant that Leeds only had to score four to win it. And they did. What added insult to injury was Franck Moussa's injury. He is one of our best penalty kick takers.

View attachment 394066

This game was so f*cking painful. 2-0 up, 3-1 up, 4-3 down. We were abysmal defensively and Danny Seabourne's ridiculous own-goal typified that. A win would have dragged us out of the bottom of the table, but I can't complain. There's work to be done defensively - we drop a lot of leads but that's sometimes due to my reluctance to switch to a counter-attacking game. I hope I've learnt my lesson. Anyways, August ends with us cutting the -10 points - I'm extremely happy with that.
View attachment 394056

Here's the table for proof.

View attachment 394054

This is the man-of-the-month: John Fleck. He enables us to execute this possession-based game quite comfortably. He racked up 3 goals and 2 assists in the league alone as well as earning the goal of the month with his free-kick against Crawley. Without Fleck, we wouldn't find ourselves celebrating a good month.

So that concludes the month of August. A fixture-heavy month, not the last we'll see of one of those. Expect a September update later today. Don't forget to feedback! Thanks!

Great results there, fleck looks like a beast.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Great read so far mate, loving this :) Fleck and the Donnelly and Delfouneso partnership are certainly going to help you fly up the table, looking forward to the next up date...

Donnelly was great for me at Swansea first season so thats a good acquisition!

September - Struggling for consistency

View attachment 394015
September, 2014
September was an annoying month. We had a couple of good wins but some results were just silly and could have been easily amended had we adjusted our game plan. Without further ado, let's take a look at the results:

View attachment 394014

As you can see, we had some high scoring wins which were great for morale and to catapult us up the table, but we also picked up three losses. Including another penalty shoot-out. Our third in 2 months. On that note, let's see what went wrong against Oxford first:

View attachment 394013

This result was painful. We had 17 shots to Oxford's two. We also dominated possession. Profligacy cost us and, to be fair to Oxford, they restricted us shooting from improbable range and angles. Delfouneso scored, and would continue to do so for the entire month in quite majestic fashion. When the penalty shoot-out arrived, I was confident of winning it because I felt as though we had the better-equipped side for it. I was wrong and an injured Cyrus Christie missed his penalty in sudden death. The least said about this result, the better. Let's move on...

View attachment 394012

This game was just... I don't even have any words for it. It was atrocious. Christie's own goal put Colchester in the lead, despite our dominance. With 18 minutes to go, we had turned the game around. Delfouneso picked up another goal and we prospered from a fortuitous own-goal. I was confident we would go on to win this. I even switched to a counter-attacking game. But, once again, we struggled to hold onto a substantial lead. Wright equalised in the 77th minute (I would have been annoyed for a while but it would have been a decent point) and then Massey scored from a corner in added time. I was livid. This month was proving to be extremely tough and I was having doubts about the side's overall quality.

View attachment 394011

We needed to hit back and begin to register some points in the league. Those two results were buried. We moved on. I actually wasn't looking forward to Gillingham as my "bounce-back" game because they were quite high up the table and had a strong side with the likes of Chris Whelpdale (who did f*ck all in this game). I dropped a few players after the two losses: Joe Murphy came back in goal for Maik Taylor, Baker replaced Danny Redmond and McGeouch got a few minutes ahead of Thomas. It paid off. Delfouneso scored his 3rd and 4th goals of the month after two assists from Donnelly (the two continue to be in sensational form). Danny Seabourne scored again - he is deadly in the air from set-pieces. I braced myself for another monumental ****-up from the side, but we hung on and were rewarded with another own-goal. Three precious points meant that, for the first time this season, we jumped out of 24th place.

View attachment 394010

Now this game, this game was excellent. Goals galore, defensive ****-ups. It was entertaining to watch. When Tom Pope opened the scoring after Clarke gifted him the ball, I thought we'd go on to get absolutely thrashed. Quite the opposite, eh? We were rampant from there-on out and ended the 1st half 5-1 up. Delfouneso scored another two, both assisted by Donnelly, and Donnelly scored two - one of which was assited by Delfouneso. Franck Moussa stole the show in this game as he scored once and picked up two assists. His goal was from a cross-come-shot which had me chuckling. This game was fun. And it even had us breaking league records!

View attachment 394009

8 goals in one game, a League 1 record!

View attachment 394008

I wish I could brush this result under the carpet and not comment on it, but I have to. Brentford steam-rolled us, and they're running away with the league title (where I'm currently on). Christie's volley from a corner filled us with hope but Stuart Dallas quashed those hopes in the space of two minutes. There was nothing we could do about this result. They were, simply put, sublime.

View attachment 394006

So the month ended with two league wins only. At least we have climbed out of the bottom and are beginning to charge for a promotion place. To add insult to injury, Danny Redmond's 3-month loan expired and we could not afford to renew it (Wigan wanted us to cover more of his wages). Bummer. He was a decent squad player and ended with 3 assists - all from corners. Thanks for the 3 months, Danny!

View attachment 394004

Hey, it's not all doom and gloom. Look back at this month's post and count how many goals Delfouneso scored! Those goals were enough to
put him on 10 goals in 12 appearances. 9 in the league - top scorer. He was rewarded for that as, not only our player of the month, but league player of the month. Congratulations, Nathan!
View attachment 394003

That wraps up the month of September. It gets better from here-on out. I think I might get cracking on writing 'October' after this. Thanks to all for the views and replies on my first ever FM Base, FM story. This is quite fun!

October - Unbeaten!

View attachment 393991
October, 2013

October saw us go unbeaten for a full month for the first time, and not the last, this season. We worked hard for these results and outplayed the opposition even when the going got tough, to use the cliche. Blair Adams got injured at the start of the month (4 weeks) meaning he only played 65 minutes of October. But who could replace our 3 and a half star, first name on the team-sheet, left-back? None other than Ryan Haynes. The youngster with one star current ability to his name. Let's say I expected to concede a lot of goals from his flank. Let's see how the kid got on...

View attachment 393983

Those were the results. Now let's see how they came about:

View attachment 393987

October started off with a bang, away at play-off chasing Stevenage. Denzel Slager made his debut, after a lengthy time out due to injury, and scored 18 minutes into it. Other than that, this game was pretty dull. Both sides cancelled each other out and Peter Hartley's own-goal secured the three points. Blair Adams' injury was annoying, he would go on to miss 4 weeks of football.

View attachment 393985

This game nearly killed. As you would have seen with previous games in this thread, we have a knack of going 2 goals up and throwing the leads away. It's quite annoying and we have been looking to iron this out of our game. As you can see here, John Fleck ran riot against a strong Wolves side. Our main man scored from the penalty spot, and later from a 27 yard free-kick, to take us to half-time with a two-goal cushion. This couldn't be happening; Wolves are the best team in the league and should be destroying us. Or so I thought. I switched to a counter-attacking game as the second-half began. Worst. Mistake. Ever. Wolves scored two in ten minutes and, with 20 minutes to go, I thought we were on course to lose embarrassingly once again. The game quietened down up until the 83rd minute. Cyrus Christie ran down his flank, played a one-two with Fleck, and whipped an unorthodox cross into the box. It was cleared out to Donnelly who, from a good 25 yards out, struck an absolute thunderbastard past the Wolves goalkeeper. I went mad. Genuinely, rip-roaring mad. A crazy result against the best side in the league.

View attachment 393979

Oh, look. We did it again. So much for the ecstatic nature of the previous result. 2-0 up after 24 minutes and we were cruising to another win. Callum Wilson stepped in for the fatigued Rory Donnelly and scored. Delfouneso hasn't really stopped! Orient pegged us back and left us with eggs on our faces. Whatever, we'll move on...

View attachment 393976

We nearly did it again. It all became hilarious after Walsall pulled one back. I could see it happening again, but it didn't. Their goal was their only shot on target in the whole game and left-back Ryan Haynes scored his first goal for the club. It was sensational and would later go on to win goal of the month. Essentially, little Ryan Haynes scored a header, from outside the box, which looped over Walsall's goalkeeper. Oh, he also assisted Jordan Clarke's goal and got a man-of-the-match award. Lovely stuff. Another 3 points - keep 'em coming!

View attachment 393974

What a result against another side who are up there as promotion chasing candidates. Two goals in one minute saw the game end one goal apiece but I was overjoyed with the result. Why? We defended superbly. Ryan Haynes made two sensational interceptions inside the box and even cleared the ball off the line. I suddenly forgot who Blair Adams was. Haynes may well get a run in the team even when Adams returns. Anyhow, Seabourne scored a header from a corner, again. Ryan Flynn scored a wonderful free-kick which Murphy could do nothing about. Purely unstoppable. A point against one of the top sides will do.

View attachment 393973

Step by step, we're crawling up the league table. 14th now, 5 points off the play-offs. An unbeaten month has the squad morale sky-high and everyone is performing well.

Time for our player of the month:

View attachment 393972

What a month Ryan Haynes had. He scored a sensational goal, picked up an assist (masterminding a win against Walsall) and was the best player against a Sheffield United side which played as though they were targeting him all day; trying to exploit his inexperience. He made us forget who Blair Adams was and that, in itself, is high praise indeed.

October was a superb month. There will be more months like these. Trust me. As for now, I'm about to load up the game and play January. I don't think I'll make any signings but there may be a few outings. Thanks all for the views and replies!

Enjoying this so far, some great results, and the points deduction has been annihilated already.

Keep it up.

November - Strolling up the table

View attachment 393692
November, 2013

November was a decent month where we discovered that our defenders are better than first thought. Here are this month's results:

View attachment 393691

As you can see, we kept three clean-sheets out of six games played and the goals we conceded were due to good play from the opposition rather than any defensive blunders. What's important is that we continue to score goals and haven't dried up. Delfouneso and Donnelly are animals. Let's take a look at each game in depth:

View attachment 393690
This was a superb way to kick off the month. Goals galore. Again. Donnelly's injury in the 6th minute meant that we would be without him for the rest of the month. Callum Wilson would step in for the loanee. We were efficient from set-pieces as Seabourne headed in twice from John Fleck corners - a recurring theme which I was beginning to enjoy. Fleck bagged from a free-kick and ensured that he'd win goal of the month with one, again! It was good to see Franck Moussa grab a couple of goals as he has been lacking end-product all season despite putting in average ratings of 7 every game. Nonetheless, this was a great result as we accumulated another 3 points.

View attachment 393688
The FA Cup makes its first appearance of the season. We started in round 1 as the big boys join later on. Drawing Lincoln meant that I could rotate the team and rest a few key players. We won comfortably as Delfouneso, Wilson and Connor Thomas scored. Lincoln gave us a couple of scares but nothing substantial. We're through to round 2! The Wembley dream is alive!

View attachment 393686

There's not much to say regarding this game other than we were clearly outplayed. We created little and actually defended quite well up until their first goal. A bad day at the office, but we tried to move on...

View attachment 393684

Same ****, different day? I guess so. Outplayed once again. Ryan Lowe tore us a new one. We've struggled massively without Donnelly. Delfouneso doesn't have the same partnership with Wilson as he does with Donnelly.

View attachment 393683

Guess who's back. Back again. Donnelly's back, tell a friend! ****** ****, we'd missed him. 31 minutes into his return and he was already firing on all cylinders. Two first-half goals, assisted by Fleck and Delfouneso, sealed the game. A great way to bounce back following two dreadful results prior.

View attachment 393682

It was now Delfouneso's turn to bag a double. We should have scored a bucket load in this game but the curse of hat-tricks in FM returned. You know what I mean? Your striker is on two goals and then does everything possible to miss each and every single chance presented to him. It's annoying. Regardless, the partnership just continues to blossom. Delfouneso goal, Donnelly assist and vice-versa. Those two are going to carry us into the Championship. And the sad thing is that they are both on loan.

View attachment 393681

And there we are. Little Coventry climbing up the table month by month. 3 points off the play-offs in November. Also, take a look at how many goals we've scored (45). We've the ability to outscore almost every side.

View attachment 393680

Our player of the month is Danny Seabourne. We kept three clean-sheets and he scored twice this month. He and Fleck have made us deadly from corner-kicks. He provides us with a different goal scoring outlet.

December - Christmas Gifts!

View attachment 393679
December, 2013

December was a jolly old month. It's Christmas, spirits are high and Santa hasn't forgotten about little Coventry. Before we look at the results, look what Santa got us for Christmas:

View attachment 393678

Best present ever. I know. After Redmond left a few months ago, I was scared that Swansea would opt to keep Donnelly due to his amazing form. But we've tied him down for another three months. Let's get into the fixtures and see what happened in December:

View attachment 393677

Unbeaten again. Fun times! Progressing through to the FA Cup 3rd round where we begin to encounter the big boys and continuing to amass points in the league. This campaign is going by well. Let's have a break down of what happened in each game:

View attachment 393676

We rotated for this game against Barnet, whom I underestimated. The score says otherwise but, trust me, they were all over us until our late flurry of goals. Our midfield tends to get outnumbered quite often and Barnet were able to exploit gaps. Delfouneso's injury meant that we wouldn't see him for a while this month but the good thing is that we were able to score often without neither he or Donnelly in the pitch in this particular match. Moussa is starting to score, which is great. I was beginning to wonder if I should play Baker ahead of him. Maybe Moussa read my mind.

View attachment 393675

Slaughter, slaughter. There's been a slaughter! What a performance. Donnelly bagged a brace, something he is becoming quite familiar with, and Fleck did his usual set-piece double (penalty, free-kick). Fleck is a machine and this performance of his had me salivating. Two goals, three assists. He, single-handedly, dismantled Crewe's defence and was the catalyst to this thrashing. He is, without a shadow of a doubt, our best player. Seaborne scored from a corner, again, and Slager continued his great goal scoring form.

View attachment 393672

This was a decent result. Swindon were flying in the league and we were away from home without our top scorer. We made a complete turn-around after being 1-0 down but then lost our one goal lead with 11 minutes to go. I wasn't too disheartened because Swindon were the better side. Donnelly scored again and Clarke headed in yet another Fleck corner. It's not 3 points, but it's a point. That's what matters. We continue to climb up the table.

View attachment 393669

A great turnaround after Peterborough scored 33 seconds into the game. We were caught sleeping and I felt as though we would be facing an uphill task but we were comfortable after that goal. Donnelly's goal was a superb curled effort from outside the box and his strike partner, Callum Wilson, benefited from a poor defensive clearance to score with an open-goal. The second half saw us dominate possession, and nothing else more.

View attachment 393668

Another game where the points are wrapped up by the time the whistle goes to draw an end to the first half. Donnelly can't stop scoring and it's truly entertaining to watch. He oozes confidence and is extremely deadly in one-on-one situations. Cyrus Christie's goal came after he made an excellent run, skinning two Oldham players, and fired the ball in off the post. Carl Baker, making one of his very few appearances of the season, scored after Callum Wilson squared the ball to him. We had a mini scare when Clarke-Harris scored in the second-half but we would, again, go on to dominate possession and shut up shop. What a win!

View attachment 393666
What an outstanding month. Unbeaten, one point off the play-offs. One! We started the season on -10. My target was to be near the play-offs by February but we've done it two months in advance. This side is awesome. Moving on to January, don't expect any signings but there will be outs. We need to free up the wage bill and therefore will be chopping off some unneeded players from the squad. Cyrus Christie and Fleck are two players whose contracts I really want to renew, but we lack the funds. I would hate to see them leave on a free.

View attachment 393665

Well, I think that image tells you who my player of the month is. Donnelly stepped up in Delfouneso's absence and really impressed, so much so that he won the league Young Player of the Month award for December. Having him extend his contract and scoop this award was the best Christmas present we could have got. Now, it's time to cut down on those extra pounds put on from Christmas dinners and move on to January where the plot thickens!​

Do you guys want to see January today? Some tasty results in January, I have to say...

January - Sustaining a good run!

View attachment 393409
January, 2014

It's that time of the season where the plot thickens, games start piling up and injuries begin to wipe out half of your squad. Some clubs are able to protect themselves from this by dipping into the transfer market. We don't have that luxury, so we went ahead and sold a player to take him off the wage bill and we terminated Mark Marshall's contract:

View attachment 393408
Adam Barton was a decent player who didn't really fit into the squad this season due to his position (DM) which isn't used in our formation. He freed up a few thousand from the wage bill, as did Mark Marshall. Marshall was a player who could only really play at Skrill Premier level and didn't have the potential to improve. Kicking him out of the club freed up the wage bill and the compensation paid came out of Adam Barton's transfer fee. Anyways, let's look at January's fixtures:

View attachment 393407

A hefty period of games with only one loss overall and two wins in the FA Cup which put us in the 5th round. We were swinging with the big boys now. This month was superb as we racked up a high amount of points considering how stretched our already thin squad was. Let's take a look at the Rotherham game:

View attachment 393405

This result was great, away at an in-form Rotherham side. Our two centre-forwards did the job as Donnelly was rested. Delfouneso added another to his already great goal scoring tally and Callum Wilson continued to do well whenever called upon. The two combined well and delivered the three points.

View attachment 393404

If I had to sum this game using only one word, it'd be the following: drama. The curse of the two-goal lead returned but, not for the first time this season, we scored extremely late into the game to win. Carl Baker, making one of his rare starts, opened the scoring after some great combinations with Fleck and McGeough in the build up. Delfouneso continued to score, nothing new here. League two Chesterfield hit us with two goals before the 60th minute and I began to dread the possibility of extra-time, not only due to the fact that we could lose on penalties but also that we cannot be playing 120 minutes+ with the high amount of fixtures this month. As I awaited the whistle to blow, we received a corner in the 94th minute. I expected it to be cleared out and the referee to draw an end to normal time... Fleck swung a corner in and, much to my amazement, Jordan Willis fired in an incredible first time volley past the Chesterfield goalkeeper. And, with that, we were through to the fourth round! My dream of drawing a top club didn't quite come to fruition. Kidderminster took Birmingham to a replay and beat them in extra team. Another Skrill team awaited in the 4th round... We were jumping for joy.

View attachment 393403

This was a good result considering how many players were low on fitness. We rotated a tad and set out to play on the counter, a more reserved style to conserve fitness. I aimed for the draw and that's what happened. Our first 0-0 of the season. Nothing much happened.

View attachment 393402

We've done the double over Crawley! We beat them 1-3 in the first game of the season and now 3-1 in our second encounter. Donnelly returned to the first team after a prolonged rest and scored 19 minutes into his return. Another incredible finish, served on a platter to him by Delfouneso. Squad player, Denzel Slager, picked up a start and didn't let us down. Whenever called upon, Slager has been consistent and dependable. John Fleck completed the rout in the 66th minute with a tap-in from a Cyrus Christie cut-back.

View attachment 393401

This is the part of the month where Delfouneso and Donnelly explode into goals and assists galore. A huge win, breaking another record for highest scoring League One game ever - the previous highest was our 6-2 win over Port Vale earlier in the season. We love breaking records! Delfouneso noted his first hat-trick of the season and even went on to assist both of Donnelly's goals. His stats this season are looking unreal. The pick of the bunch was his second goal where he took on two Preston players and poked the ball past the on-rushing goalkeeper. Donnelly's two goals were tap-ins from Delfouneso cut-backs and Moussa's goal was an excellent finish from an acute angle. This result was immense as we continued to climb up the table!

View attachment 393397
One of our best displays this season in terms of goals scored. All of our goals were superb. Delfouneso's was a simple finish after an outstanding passing display in the build-up. Moussa completed destroyed the opposition net with a 30-yard strike. Callum Wilson made it 3-0 with just over ten minutes on the clock with an incredible curled effort and Donnelly skinned two players before slotting the ball past the goalkeeper. I was gobsmacked at this display of goals. It felt as though we were top of the league by 20 points and able to just take the **** against the opposition. Carlisle pulled two back but weren't able to do the unthinkable.

View attachment 393400

Two hat-tricks in seven days for Nathan Delfouneso as we ran rampant on Kidderminster with 26 minutes to go. Our first goal was in the 29th minute but it was very much against the run of play. Kidderminster dominated throughout but, as they got more tired, I decided to unleash Fleck who came on the pitch with 30 minutes to go and assisted two goals as well as taking the shot which Gowling turned into his own net. Fleck and Delfouneso have, single-handedly, carried us up the table this season. Absolutely immense players. We were through to the 5th round and we got our wish of playing a big club. I'll keep it a secret until I write up the February update! ;)

View attachment 393398

We were due a loss, weren't we? Almost two months without a loss and then this sprung on us. Twice we had the lead, twice we lost it. I was fuming. Orient beat us fair and square and played us off the park. A sour way to end the month but let's not forget the impeccable results we had this month.

View attachment 393396

We're in the play-off places! I genuinely still struggle to believe that we have made it there so quickly. Delfouneso, Fleck and Donnelly have dragged us from that club rooted to the bottom with -10 points to the club who are looking to get promoted. Let's hope we can stay in the top 6 for the rest of the season.

View attachment 393394

Donnelly won the Young Player of the Month award, again, as he notched four goals in six appearances this month. He wasn't our player of the month, but he was certainly up there. Our Player of the Month was none other than Nathan Delfouneso. The loanee scored two hat-tricks in the space of seven days and nine goals overall in the month. He's becoming quite the hero in Coventry and one of the best players I have used at this level in Football Manager.

That wraps up January. I'll write-up February later on in the day; February includes our big game clash in the FA Cup and a few great results. Until then, be sure to leave some feedback and comments on the story. Thanks!