Celtic But Not As You Know ‘Em

December 2023

Well this isn’t good! I am now overspending on my wage budget by £1,300 per week and will possibly have to offload some players ASAP to keep the board happy!

wage budegt.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 18
Farsley vs King’s Lynn Town

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, West, Wilson, Ritaccio (Hornshaw 63), McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney*

kings lynn.jpg

This Rodney fella ain’t bad. Not only did he score a hat trick, but he set the other 2 up as well.

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen a 10/10 performance during my management here.

ten out of ten.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 19
Farsley vs Barwell

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding*, Cogill, West, Wilson, Ritaccio, McFarlane, Reid (Noel 64), Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (O’Rourke 74)

barwell.jpg

Not quite so easy but another 3 points on the board.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 20
Farsley vs Nuneaton

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Ritaccio, McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney

nuneaton.jpg

Easy as you like!

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 21
Halifax Town vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Ritaccio, McFarlane, Reid (Noel 45), Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (O’Rourke 45)

halifax.jpg

It amazes me how we can go from playing so well in one game to so bad in another.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 22
FC United vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Ritaccio, McFarlane*, Reid (Salam 87), Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (O’Rourke 87)

fc united.jpg

More dropped points in a game we dominated from start to finish.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 23
Farsley vs Curzon Ashton

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Richards, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Ritaccio, McFarlane, Reid (Salam 64), Thompson-Sommers*, O’Rourke

curzon.jpg

We should have won by more than this. We had 13 shots to their 2, and controlled 63% of the possession.

Even though we don’t seem to have been playing at our best recently, we have still managed to muster up a 10 game unbeaten home run.

unbeaten home run.jpg

We seem to able to string together a good run and get to near the top of the table, before having a nose bleed and then getting a couple of bad results which is always just enough to put us back off the pace again.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Kamani McFarlane

mcfarlane.jpg

Because of his form, we’re not missing Maziar Kouhyar that much at all!

January 2024

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 24
Farsley vs Southport

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Slooves, West, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane (O’Rourke 45), Reid (Ritaccio 45), Salam (Thompson-Sommers* 45), Rodney

southport.jpg

Southport are decent, so this was good!

Going into the game with Guiseley, it was a top of the table clash and defeat would give our opponents a 6 point lead at the top of the table.

top 2 clash.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 25
Farsley vs Guiseley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding (Slooves 71), Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers (Salam 67), O’Rourke* (Rodney 76)

guiseley.jpg

Who are ya? Who are ya? Battered ‘em! Top of the league? You’re having a laugh mate!

Everyone will be talking about Fidel O’Rourke’s hat trick against Guiseley, but it’s the other goalscorer I’m going to give a mention to here. Graham Reid is the only player to come through my youth development system and into the first team since I’ve been here and that was his first senior goal for the club. He’s having a decent season for us recording 6 assists in 14 league appearances as well.

reid.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 26
Kettering Town vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe (Richards 87), Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw (Ritaccio 67), McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers (Salam 67), O’Rourke*

kettering.jpg

Fidel O’Rourke picked up where he left off against Guiseley as he booked back to back hat tricks and took his goal tally for the season to 16.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 27
Bradford PA vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw (Ritaccio 62), McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke* (Rodney 86)

bradford.jpg

Three hat tricks in a row!!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before!!! Legendary stuff from O’Rourke, made even better by the fact we only had 10 men for most of this game as well!

We sit at the top of the tree at the end of January, which means we’re probably due a bad run of form very soon if we follow our usual pattern. Three and a half years at this club has made me very sinical.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Fidel O’Rourke

o rourke.jpg

Honestly, was there going to be anyone else!

O’Rourke picked up the division’s Player of the Month award too.

player of month.jpg

Whilst I picked up my first one of these in a while.

manager of month.jpg

February 2024

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 28
Farsley vs Hereford

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson (Slooves 65), Hornshaw, McFarlane, Reid (Ritaccio 45), Salam, O’Rourke (Rodney* 65)

hereford.jpg

This was a massive win over a 5th placed Hereford. After they took the lead early in the 2nd half, I feared the worst, but my boys fought back with plenty of heart!

Sam Fielding has now made more league appearances than any other player at the club.

fielding record.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 29
Farsley vs Alfreton Town

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding*, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane (Ritaccio 64), Reid, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke (Rodney 64)

alfreton.jpg

The scoreline didn’t reflect our dominance here.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 30
Gainsborough Trinity vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding (Slooves 70), Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, Ritaccio (Kouhyar 81), Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (O’Rourke 66)

gainsborough.jpg

I’m still baffled as to how on earth we failed to win this game.

I mean look at the stats!!

gainsborough stats.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 31
Darlington vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson*, Ritaccio (Hornshaw 45), McFarlane (Kouhyar 73), Reid, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke

darlington.jpg

Quickly back to winning ways with a good away win. Kouhyar continues his comeback from a broken leg.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 32
Farsley vs Stourbridge

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe (West 65), Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Ritaccio, McFarlane, Reid (Kouhyar 33), Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke (Rodney 45)

stourbridge.jpg

What the actual f*** happened here! We were utterly embarrassed by relegation battling Stourbridge! The only positive I could take from this game was seeing Kouhyar score his first goal since returning from his long layoff.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 33
Farsley vs Fylde

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Ritaccio (Noel 77), Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke

fylde.jpg

We had 3 times the amount of shots as they did. We should have won.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 34
Telford vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Thompson-Sommers, Kouhyar (Salam 71), Rodney*

telford.jpg

A massive win for us over 4th placed Telford! A much needed 3 points as well after 2 games without a victory.

With 12 games remaining, we’re top and 6 points clear!! Could this finally be our year?

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Sam Fielding

fielding.jpg

Record breaker.

March 2024

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 35
Spennymoor vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding (Slooves 68), Cogill, Gallagher-Allison (West 72), Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Thompson-Sommers (Ritaccio 68), Kouhyar, Rodney

spennymoor.jpg

Letting a 3 goal lead slip! Is this the start of the bottle job we have become accustomed to over the last few years?

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 36
South Shields vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Thompson-Sommers, Kouhyar (Salam 81), Rodney (O’Rourke 86)

south shields.jpg

More dropped points in the last minute of the game. This looks all too familiar!

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 37
Farsley vs York City

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe (West 71), Fielding*, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane (Kouhyar 80), Ritaccio, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke

york.jpg

A much more solid performance.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 38
Farsley vs Blyth Spartans

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe (West 68), Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Ritaccio, Salam (Kouhyar 78), O’Rourke (Rodney 78)

blyth.jpg

A terrible result in terms of the title race as Blyth sat 3rd at kick off and move to within 3 points of us.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 39
Altrincham vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Cogill, West, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane (Kouhyar 72), Ritaccio, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke*

altrincham.jpg

Altrincham came into the game in 5th place knowing that a win would put get them involved in the title race. However, we had other ideas! A big win!

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 40
King’s Lynn Town vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Cogill, West, Wilson*, Hornshaw (Reid 67), Rodney, Ritaccio, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke (Fewster 67)

kings.jpg

Jamal Wilson had a blinder in central midfield, getting 3 assists. He dominated the centre of the park and controlled the game for us.

Only six games to go and it looks like it might be down to us and Guiseley for the league title. This is the closest we’ve ever been!

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Kane Thompson-Sommers

sommers.jpg

One of the most consistent players of the season.

April 2024

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 41
Barwell vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Cogill, West, Wilson, Hornshaw (Reid 45), Rodney (Thompson-Sommers 72), Ritaccio, Salam (Kouhyar 45), O’Rourke

barwell.jpg

We are determined to make this title challenge as hard for ourselves as possible!

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 42
Farsley vs Gateshead

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe, Fielding, Cogill*, Gallagher-Allison, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Thompson-Sommers, Kouhyar, Rodney

gateshead.jpg

I asked the lads for a big performance and they delivered! Gateshead were 5th at kick off, so this was a massive result!

Probably our worst youth intake yet!

youth intake.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 43
Farsley vs Halifax Town

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Rowe (West 52), Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Hornshaw, Reid, McFarlane, Thompson-Sommers, Kouhyar (Noel 52), Rodney

halifax.jpg

We were battered 3-0 by Halifax in the reverse fixture, and again they got the better of us here. We dominated large parts of the game but just struggled in the final 3rd to create real clear chances.

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 44
Nuneaton vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Gallagher-Allison, Slooves, Cogill, West, Rowe, Ritaccio (Hornshaw 67), McFarlane (Kouhyar 67), Reid, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke

nuneaton.jpg

An absolutely shocking opening 20 minutes cost us the game!

With 2 games remaining, we’ve lost our advantage and now require a bit of luck as well if we are to win the title! Yet again we are choking when it matters most!

2 games left.jpg

It looks like we could be the subject of a takeover bid with more than one interested party looking to take over the club. It seems that one of them wants me out if they get control of the club too!

takeover.jpg

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 45
Farsley vs FC United

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Slooves, West, Wilson, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers*, O’Rourke (Rodney 75)

fc united.jpg

Possibly our best and most important performance of the season!

Would you believe it…Guiseley only went and lost which means we move back to the top of the league with a single game remaining! If we can beat 23rd placed Curzon Ashton in our final match, we will win the division! Is it time to finally win the division at the 4th time of asking, or will it be our biggest bottle job yet?

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Calen Gallagher-Allison

allison.jpg

Has been decent all season. Would love to make his loan deal permanent.

May 2024

Vanarama National League North – Matchday 46
Curzon Ashton vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wusiewicz, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Slooves (Cogill 76), West, Wilson*, Hornshaw, McFarlane, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke (Rodney 76)

curzon.jpg

WE’VE DONE IT!!!! It was a bit touch and go there for a minute when we went to half time at 0-0, but an outstanding second half performance ensures we get the final day win we needed so badly!!

The moment I’ve been waiting for! After 4 long seasons and over 200 games in charge, we finally lift the Vanarama National League North title! I can honestly say this is one of my greatest achievements of Football Manager because the 4 seasons has been gruelling, emotional, hard and in the end so, so satisfying! Now bring on the National League!

champions.jpg

Confirmation of the final league table!

league.jpg

The points tally was a new record as well.

record points.jpg

A much better performance all round by the entire squad this season. A combination of the right formation, the right players and the right mentality helped us to our first title win. Plenty of players maintained average ratings above 7.00 across the year. Our strikers scored goals, our midfielders got assists and our defenders did their jobs with relative consistency throughout. Basically, it all came together.

Fan’s Player of the Season = Sam Fielding
Young Player of the Season = Fidel O’Rourke
Signing of the Season = Kane Thompson-Sommers
Top Goalscorer = Fidel O’Rourke (26 goals in all comps)
Most Assists = Kane Thompson-Sommers (17 in all comps)

My Player of the Season = Kamani McFarlane
My Young Player of the Season (U23) = Fidel O’Rourke
Most Disappointing = Danny Rowe

squad.jpg

And here is my overall best eleven from our 4 years in the division. I think I’d probably agree at this stage, but there are a couple of players in the current squad that could easily edge their way in over the next season.

best 11.jpg

The money coming into the club is still not great.

finances.jpg

I have no idea where we are getting the money from for this, but apparently there’s plans to increase the capacity of The Citadel.

stadium.jpg

Ah that explains it. We’ve got new owners, who have sorted the finances out taken the bank balance from -£700k to over £200k in profit.

takeover.jpg

They’re not ready to turn us professional just yet though!

professional.jpg

However, they are willing to put some money into the youth recruitment.

youth recruitment.jpg

To round off the month, I am handed my biggest personal achievement of my career so far.

maneger of year.jpg

After all the turmoil I’ve been through with this club, I can safely say I’ll sleep well tonight!

June 2024

It seems the new owners want to keep me around. I should think so!

contract.jpg

I cut ties with Salford (who we actually had no players from last year anyway) and the new owners have managed to set up a link with Barnsley as our new senior affiliate.

barnsley link.jpg

It’s time to start building a squad that can compete in the National League. And we begin with the signing of a new keeper. 23 year old Brad Wade comes in on a free transfer from Rochdale. He was on loan with Guiseley last year and only conceded 12 goals in his 16 appearances.

wade.jpg

Next in was Kyle Hayde, again a freebie, from Tranmere. He hasn’t had the best couple of seasons for them, averaging a match rating of just 6.40 from 29 appearances, however that was in League Two and I’m hoping he may find this more his level. If only they played alongside each other as two centre backs or two centre mids, I could have called these two the 'Wade & Hayde' partnership. Just seems a bit weird to do it with a GK and AMC.

hayde.jpg

We took advantage of the recent partnership with Barnsley, by bringing in 17 year old Roger Carney. He can add a bit of aggression to the side and can play multiple positions on the pitch and his versatility if very welcome.

carney.jpg

Now to the players that have been released from the club. Danny Rowe was bitterly disappointing, as was Matteo Ritaccio and neither of them justified their salaries so were allowed to leave. The rest are mainly players that I think we can get better replacements for so were released to free up the wage bill to allow me to get some more players in. It’s obviously left the first team squad very thin on the ground, so next month will be a busy one in the transfer market.

released.jpg

This season’s expectations are exactly as expected. Battle bravely against relegation.

expectations.jpg

Pre season to get out of the way first though and our first friendly finished with a comfortable 4-0 win over lower league Berkhamsted.

berkhamsted.jpg

July 2024

We become a parent club for the first time as we set up an affiliation with local side, Glossop.

glossop.jpg

We made Calen Gallagher-Allison’s stay a permanent one as he signs from Chester. He was decent for us last year featuring 41 times with an average rating just below 7.00.

allison.jpg

I tried to keep Kamani McFarlane on loan for another season, but Port Vale were having none of it. So I needed another right winger and that man is L’Varn Brandy who joins on a freebie from Chesterfield.

brandy.jpg

I also tried to keep Jamal Wilson at the club, but was unable to secure another loan deal for him. So with reinforcements in the central midfield area required, welcome Joe Levey to the club who signs from Crewe. He hasn’t made a competitive appearance yet, so we’ll have to see what he can do.

levey.jpg

Another player joins us from new parent club Barnsley. Rudi Pache isn’t the greatest and probably won’t be a first team regular, but he’ll provide essential cover at centre back.

pache.jpg

One player that is a major upgrade and will be one of the first names on the team sheet is new right back, Henry Culkin. The 18 year old joins on loan for the season from Preston and looks like a very good youngster who should thrive down at this level.

culkin.jpg

We required cover in the opposite full back position and I’ve brought in Harry Milne following his release by Airdrieonians. He will compete for a starting berth and looks to have the potential to have an impact for us in this division.

milne.jpg

I’ve got two strikers who smashed it in the league below last season, but there’s no guarantee that they will do it at the higher level. So I’ve brought in a lad who looks like he could be f***ing amazing! Adie Robinson could probably have got a loan deal at a better club than us, but I’m not going to tell him that!

robinson.jpg

My final loan signing of the pre season is Jared Bird who comes in from Boston United. It might seem weird to take a player on loan from a club in a lower division (Boston were relegated from the National League last season), but he was after a move to a bigger club so this deal works out for everyone as we couldn’t afford to buy him and I’m sure Boston didn’t want to lose him on a perm deal and this way he gets to play in the National League again.

bird.jpg

And my final permanent signing of the Summer is Ollie Muldoon – another bolster to the central midfield area. Nice to sign a player that has previously been at Gillingham (the club I support) even if he did only make 4 appearances for them.

muldoon.jpg

Pre season is complete and all in all, it was a decent set of friendlies with some good results.

friendlies.jpg

August 2024

As we take a look at the season preview, we are expected to struggle although the bookies don’t reckon we’ll finish in the bottom 4. We kick off the season against a Barrow side expected to finish at the foot of the table, so it will be a good measure of where we are at.

preview.jpg

Vanarama National League – Matchday 1
Barrow vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Muldoon (Bird 64), Hornshaw (Levey 82), Kouhyar, Hayde*, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (O’Rourke 64)

barrow.jpg

Welcome to the National League!! If every game is like this one, it’s going to be an exciting season!!

A perfect debut for new AMC Kyle Hayde as be bagged 2 assists!

hayde debut.jpg

Vanarama National League – Matchday 2
Hartlepool vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin (Carney 76), Fielding, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Hayde (Levey 70), Thompson-Sommers*, Robinson (O’Rourke 65)

hartlepool.jpg

Wow, I didn’t expect this! Hartlepool are one of the bigger sides in the division, but we absolutely trounced them on their own turf!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 3
Farsley vs Aldershot

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Carney, Fielding, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar (Brandy 73), Hayde (Levey 73), Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (O’Rourke 45)

aldershot.jpg

A stoppage time penalty ensure we make it 3 wins from 3! Who’d have thought?!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 4
Chelmsford City vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Carney (Culkin 61), Fielding, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Levey, Kouhyar*, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (O’Rourke 61)

chelmsford.jpg

The most shots I’ve ever seen us record in a single game here with 32!! So when we went 1-0 down, I thought it was going to be one of ‘those’ games! Luckily it wasn’t as we turned it on it’s head to take all 3 points!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 5
Eastleigh vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Carney, Fielding, Pache (Cogill 74), Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar*, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (Robinson 74)

eastleigh.jpg

5 wins from 5! What is actually happening? This is an unreal start to the season that I did not expect in the slightest!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 6
Farsley vs Chester

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin (Sent Off 87), Fielding, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Levey, Kouhyar, Hayde (Carney 87), Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke (Robinson 87)

chester.jpg

Our first dropped points of the season and it really shouldn’t have been as we completely dominated the entire game, but just couldn’t find that winning goal.

If you’d have said we’d be unbeaten in our opening 6 games, I’d never have believed it! This is a remarkable start to the season for us in the higher division, but we won’t get carried away just yet as there is still a long way to go.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Maziar Kouhyar

kouhyar.jpg

How we’ve managed to keep hold of him for this long, I’ll never know!

September 2024

Vanarama National League – Matchday 7
Farsley vs Gateshead

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Levey (Muldoon 63), Brandy, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers*, Robinson (Rodney 63)

gateshead.jpg

A solid win over a team we are a lot more familiar with. L’Varn Brandy came in for Kouhyar who is on international duty and bagged himself a goal on his first start for the club.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 8
Dag & Red vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Brandy (Kouhyar 66), Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (Rodney 66)

dag and red.jpg

We taste defeat for the first time this season. Frustrating as we were the better side.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 9
Farsley vs Dover Athletic

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Hayde (Muldoon 59), Thompson-Sommers, Rodney* (Robinson 82)

dover.jpg

Devante Rodney grabbed his first goals of the season in style here to get us back to winning ways immediately.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 10
Harrogate Town vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Cogill, Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar*, Levey, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (Robinson 66)

harrogate.jpg

Harrogate were probably the better side until our 2nd goal went in, before they completely folded and we ended up recording a scoreline that didn’t entirely reflect the true nature of the game.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 11
Farsley vs Chesterfield

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Muldoon, Kouhyar (Brandy 70), Levey (Hornshaw 67), Thompson-Sommers, Rodney

chesterfield.jpg

A tight game which could have gone either way.

We remain in the top 3 after another 5 games and I think it’s now safe to say we won’t be relegation battlers this year. It remains to be seen whether our great start will filter out, but for now I’m delighted.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Sam Fielding

fielding.jpg

Proving he can still command the back line in this higher division.

October 2024

Vanarama National League – Matchday 12
Woking vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Carney, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Levey, Kouhyar (Brandy 74), Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (Robinson 74)

woking.jpg

The worst we’ve played this season.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 13
Mansfield vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird*, Hornshaw (Muldoon 62), Brandy (Kouhyar 78), Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (Rodney 62)

mansfield.jpg

We gave the league leaders a decent run for their money here and deserved our point.

L’Varn Brandy has been a decent stand in for Maziar Kouhyar when he has been away or injured, but we’ll now be without the winger for 6-7 weeks as he recovers from a broken arm.

brandy.jpg

Vanarama National League – Matchday 14
Farsley vs Boreham Wood

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Muldoon, Hornshaw, Kouhyar*, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson

boreham.jpg

The scoreline doesn’t reflect how easy we found this. Boreham Wood are easily the worst team we’ve played this year.

Maziar Kouhyar has now become the club’s record league goalscorer as well. He’s achieved the feat in 119 appearances so far.

kouhyar record.jpg

Marcel Wusiewicz has been my number 1 keeper for the past 3 seasons, making 127 appearances for the club. However, with the arrival of Brad Wade this season, he has found himself down the pecking order and so decided to leave the club.

wusiewicz.jpg

So I needed to move quickly to bring in a second goalkeeper and the man who joins us is Bradley Foster, who had failed to find a new club since being released by Derby in the Summer.

foster.jpg

FA Cup – 4th Qualifying Round
Farsley vs Stourbridge

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Carney, Fielding, Cogill, Milne (Gallagher-Allison 6), Muldoon, Hornshaw, Rodney*, Levey (Hayde 60), Thompson-Sommers, Robinson

stourbridge.jpg

After last year’s promotion, we enter the FA Cup at 1 later stage than normal and took on a club from our previous division. Both our previous encounters with Stourbridge had ended in goal fests with very contrasting results (7-2 to us and 4-1 to them). This game, however, was the complete opposite and we made hard work of getting through to the next round.

For the 2nd time in 6 months, the owners agree to invest some money into the youth recruitment at the club. I’m liking these new owners!

youth recruitment.jpg

Vanarama National League – Matchday 15
Farsley vs Stockport County

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin (Carney 60), Slooves, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (Robinson* 60)

stockport.jpg

With Sam Fielding missing through suspension, it definitely felt like we missed our captain, but just about managed to sneak a cheeky win against the bottom side.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 16
Farsley vs Dartford

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Muldoon, Hornshaw (Levey 68), Kouhyar, Hayde, Rodney, Robinson (Thompson-Sommers 59)

dartford.jpg

Not good enough.

We’ve dropped one place to 4th over the past month, but I’m still amazed at how well this season is going. We’re 16 games in now, so have proven it wasn’t just a few flukey results and that we can hold our own in this division. At what stage do we look at it and think the playoffs is a realistic target up at this level?!

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Maziar Kouhyar

kouhyar.jpg

Having his best season yet!

November 2024

Vanarama National League – Matchday 17
Southend vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache (Cogill 61), Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Hayde (Levey 61), Thompson-Sommers (Rodney 61), Robinson

southend.jpg

Southend might be running away with this division, but that doesn’t excuse our dreadful showing here!

FA Cup – First Round
Farsley vs Sunderland

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Hayde*, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (Rodney 67)

sunderland.jpg

Oi oi! We managed to knock out the League One leaders in the first round of the FA Cup in front of a full capacity crowd. It wasn’t a smash n grab either as we matched them in all areas of the pitch and were good value for the win.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 18
Sutton United vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache (Cogill 87), Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Hayde, Rodney (O’Rourke 57), Robinson

sutton.jpg

A big game for both sides as 4th played 5th and we share the spoils, although it feels a little like defeat for us after conceding the equalizer so late in the game.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 19
Farsley vs Barnet

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Levey, Kouhyar* (Robinson 64), Hayde (Reid 64), Rodney, O’Rourke

barnet.jpg

What an opening 20 minutes!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 20
Torquay United vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne (Gallagher-Allison 65), Bird, Levey (Muldoon 75), Kouhyar, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke (Robinson 65)

torquay.jpg

We were missing creativity here and lacked ideas in the final 3rd. Unfortunately, Torquay were clinical in front of goal and took their chances well.

I signed a new deal with the club, with my salary edging ever closer to that £1,000 per week mark.

new contract.jpg

FA Cup – Second Round
Ebbsfleet United vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves (Cogill 66), Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Levey, Rodney (Kouhyar 69), Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (O’Rourke 45)

ebbsfleet.jpg

Despite playing lower league opposition here, we were not the favourites coming into the game, most probably because Ebbsfleet were on a run of 7 straight wins in all competitions. They made it 8 and were the better side so deserved it too. We didn’t really turn up, which is bitterly disappointing with a place in the 3rd round and potential massive tie within our grasp!

Despite going out of the FA Cup, we still go pretty well in the league maintaining our place in the playoff positions. Southend will be tough for anyone to catch this season!

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Maziar Kouhyar

kouhyar.jpg

Another month where my star man was on fire!

December 2024

More investment into the youth at the club as the junior coaching budget is increased.

junior budget.jpg

Vanarama National League – Matchday 21
Chorley vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Levey, Kouhyar, Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, O’Rourke

chorley.jpg

We’re developing a really bad habit for conceding late goals!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 22
Dulwich Hamlet vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Slooves, Pache, Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Rodney*, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (O’Rourke 67)

dulwich.jpg

What a great turnaround from the lads! Dulwich came out of the traps fast, but we composed ourselves well and showed our character to fight back and win the game.

FA Trophy – Third Round
Brackley Town vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Slooves*, Pache, Milne (Gallagher-Allison 64), Bird (Levey 64), Hornshaw, Brandy, Reid, Rodney, Robinson (O’Rourke 71)

brackley.jpg

We made light work of our lower league opposition in our first venture into the FA Trophy this year.

Vanarama National League - Matchday 23
Farsley vs Hartlepool

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Slooves, Pache, Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Brandy*, Reid, Rodney, Robinson

hartlepool.jpg

A big win over one of the better sides in the division. It brought to an end a 6 match unbeaten run for Hartlepool as well.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 24
Aldershot Town vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Slooves, Pache (Gallagher-Allison 65), Milne, Bird, Hornshaw, Brandy (Kouhyar* 65), Reid, Rodney (Thompson-Sommers 65), Robinson

aldershot.jpg

Not quite sure where we pulled that result from! We were on fire!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 25
Farsley vs Chelmsford City

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Culkin, Slooves, Pache, Milne, Fielding, Hornshaw, Brandy (Kouhyar 60), Reid, Rodney (Thompson-Sommers 81), Robinson*

chelmsford.jpg

We look really good at the moment!

We’re sitting pretty in 3rd place at the end of the calendar year, with 2 games in hand over Southend and Mansfield above us. If we could win both of those, we would be within just 6 points of the runaway leaders on the Essex coast.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Adie Robinson

robinson.jpg

7 goals in 6 games for Adie who is coming into some great form.

And that form was enough for him to win the Young Player of the Month in the division as well.

young player of the month.jpg

January 2025

Vanarama National League – Matchday 26
Barrow vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade*, Carney, Slooves (Bird 60), Cogill, Milne, Fielding, Hornshaw, Brandy, Reid (Hayde 60), Thompson-Sommers, Robinson

barrow.jpg

We rode our luck at times, with relegation battling Barrow hitting the woodwork 3 times in this game. We might have got away with one here.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 27
Farsley vs Bromley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves, Pache, Gallagher-Allison*, Bird, Levey (Sent Off 12), Kouhyar, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (Hayde 61)

bromley.jpg

Considering we had to play 78 minutes with 10 men, this has to be seen as a decent result.

FA Trophy – Fourth Round
Hartlepool vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Carney, Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison (Milne 71), Fielding, Hornshaw, Brandy (Kouhyar 27), Hayde, O’Rourke, Robinson

hartlepool 1.jpg

We were dominated for large periods of this game, so getting a replay is decent and hopefully we can be more competitive at home.

FA Trophy – Fourth Round Replay
Farsley vs Hartlepool

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin (Sent Off 4), Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Hornshaw, Kouhyar, Reid (Carney 4), O’Rourke (Thompson-Sommers 81), Robinson

hartlepool 2.jpg

The early sending off threw my game plan right out the window. It was a brave effort from my lads considering the circumstances and we can hold our heads high despite going out of the competition.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 28
Chester vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster*, Carney, Slooves, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Levey (Muldoon 70), Kouhyar, Reid, Thompson-Sommers (Rodney 70), Robinson

chester.jpg

We have our keeper to thank for the win here…he was fantastic and made some massive saves throughout the game. This was a huge win for us too as Chester came into the game in 4th place.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 29
Farsley vs Eastleigh

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Fielding, Slooves (Cogill 68), Gallagher-Allison (Milne 68), Bird, Levey, Rodney*, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson

eastleigh.jpg

Good enough, without being great!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 30
Gateshead vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Carney, Muldoon (Sent Off 87), Kouhyar, Hayde (Levey 88), Rodney*, Robinson

gateshead.jpg

Defensively solid again and that is proving to be our biggest strength so far this season.

We’ve record some massive wins this past month over some of the teams sitting just behind us in the league and it has made our cushion down to 8th much more comfortable. With 16 games of the season remaining, we should really be looking at finishing in the playoffs as a very realistic target now.

league.jpg

Our good form this month was enough for me to lift the National League Manager of the Month award for the first time.

manager of month.jpg

Player of the Month
Bradley Foster

foster.jpg

Our newest keeper has been crucial this past month, only conceding 4 goals in 6 games. He’s made a total of 27 saves during those games too.

February 2025

Vanarama National League – Matchday 31
Farsley vs Dag & Red

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Carney, Slooves, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Bird (Levey 69), Kouhyar, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (Rodney 69)

dag & red.jpg

Manager of the Month curse? Bogey Team? Not sure what the excuse is but Dag & Red completed the double over us. Two missed penalties didn’t exactly help our cause!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 32
Dover Athletic vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Fielding, Pache, Milne, Bird, Levey, Rodney, Reid, O’Rourke (Thompson-Sommers 59), Robinson (Kouhyar 59)

dover.jpg

Back to back league defeats. First time that’s happened since the start of October!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 33
Farsley vs Harrogate Town

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Fielding*, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Muldoon, Kouhyar, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney

harrogate.jpg

We had a much needed 10 day break before this game! We came back refreshed and looked a strong unit again as we recorded an important win over another of the playoff contenders.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 34
Chesterfield vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Fielding (Slooves 19), Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Bird, Muldoon, Kouhyar, Reid (Levey 45), Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (Robinson 45)

chesterfield.jpg

Nothing short of f***ing dreadful!!

At least the players stepped up and did the right thing by the fans!

fans repaid.jpg

Despite losing 3 of our 4 games this month, we managed to hold onto our 2nd place berth in the table. Southend are now pretty much out of sight and we are playing for 2nd/3rd to avoid the extra playoff game.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Rudi Pache

pache.jpg

The best of a very bad bunch!

March 2025

Vanarama National League – Matchday 35
Farsley vs Woking

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin*, Fielding, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Muldoon, Bird, Kouhyar (Brandy 60), Hayde, Thompson-Sommers, Rodney (Robinson 60)

woking.jpg

Not sure how we only won this 1-0 after we had 23 shots at their goal!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 36
Boreham Wood vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Carney, Hornshaw, Brandy, Hayde (Reid 74), Kouhyar (Thompson-Sommers 90), Rodney (Robinson 65)

boreham#.jpg

A really bad result against a side who look destined for the drop!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 37
Stockport County vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Carney, Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Hornshaw, Brandy (Kouhyar 79), Reid, Thompson-Sommers (Rodney 79), Robinson

stockport.jpg

More points dropped against one of the struggling sides in the division.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 38
Farsley vs Mansfield

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves (Carney 65), Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Fielding, Bird, Kouhyar*, Reid (Levey 65), Rodney, Robinson

masfield.jpg

2nd vs 3rd! Massive game! Massive result!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 39
Farsley vs Southend

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin (Fielding 75), Slooves, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Carney, Bird, Brandy (Kouhyar 75), Reid (Levey 75), Rodney, Robinson

southend.jpg

2nd vs 1st! Massive game! Decent point!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 40
Farsley vs Sutton United

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Fielding, Slooves (Milne 70), Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Muldoon, Bird, Kouhyar, Reid, Rodney, Robinson (O’Rourke 70)

sutton.jpg

We love a 1-0!

Vanarama National League – Matchday 41
Dartford vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Fielding, Slooves, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Muldoon, Levey, Brandy, Reid (Hornshaw 76), Rodney (Kouhyar 62), Robinson (O’Rourke 62)

dartford.jpg

Just rubbish!

Just 5 games remaining to secure that 2nd/3rd spot to avoid an extra game in the playoffs and give us home advantage as well.

league.jpg

Player of the Month
Maziar Kouhyar

kouhyar.jpg

He’s just awesome!

Our youth intake was pretty bad again this year, although there is one player who has some potential.

youth intake.jpg

ameskamp.jpg

Last edited:
April 2025

I start my National A License coaching badge.

coaching badge.jpg

Vanarama National League – Matchday 42
Farsley vs Torquay United

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves, Pache, Gallagher-Allison, Muldoon, Bird, Kouhyar, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson (Rodney* 60)

torquay.jpg

We should have scored more here, but a win’s a win.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 43
Barnet vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Slooves, Pache, Milne, Muldoon, Hornshaw, Brandy, Reid, Thompson-Sommers, Robinson

barnet.jpg

A thriller for the neutrals, but one we were on the wrong end of.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 44
Farsley vs Chorley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Carney, Fielding, Cogill, Milne, Muldoon, Hornshaw (Levey 67), Brandy, Hayde, Rodney*, Robinson

chorley.jpg

We quickly bounced back from the defeat against Barnet, in the best possible way.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 45
Bromley vs Farsley

4-2-3-1 Wide; Foster, Culkin, Fielding, Cogill, Gallagher-Allison, Muldoon, Hornshaw, Brandy, Levey (Hayde 45), Rodney, Robinson (Thompson-Sommers 45)

bromley.jpg

Our form is really up and down at the moment, which doesn’t bode well for the upcoming playoffs.

Vanarama National League – Matchday 46
Farsley vs Dulwich Hamlet

4-2-3-1 Wide; Wade, Carney (Sent Off 61), Slooves, Cogill, Milne, Muldoon, Hornshaw, Brandy, Hayde (Fielding 61), Grayson, Tal

dulwich.jpg

With a top 3 finish already secured, I took the opportunity in our last game of the season to rest some of our key players.

Confirmation of the final league table! Southend were winners a long way out, but our 2nd placed finish is exceptional for our first season up at this level and even if we fail in the playoffs, the campaign must be viewed as a resounding success.

final league table.jpg

Player of the Month
Devante Rodney

rodney.jpg

He’s had a decent campaign up at the higher level.