Celtic FC - Not even Messi can Messi with Us (Part 2)

Reaction score
So after last years failure of not winning the CL in the 5 year limit (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...47-celtic-fc-not-even-messi-can-messi-us.html) and the release of the SPL kits download i am going to have another crack at it..... This one will be more of a challenge as i haven't played much of the new game and am still working it out. So i'm not predicting any major changes of the squad at this time. This is just a heads up that this story will be re-starting later tonight and hope you'll enjoy the follow.... Next post will be with all of pre-season details...

Hail, Hail

Can't wait to read, I'm a huge Celtic fan so I'd love to see Celtic win the CL :D

So here we are a year on, after last years great run, we unfortunetly didnt manage to achieve the goal of the 'Champion's League in the 5 years that were set.. We got very close, semi final once and a couple of quarter finals (off the top of my head). I won't be doing an in-depth finance, squad analysis as i had done last year and this is a follow on. This is by far going to be harder as unlike last year at this point i'm not very experienced in this years transfer market, and how my budget will work, but hey that makes it all the more interesting. The aim for this year is still to achieve the Champions League within 5 years, and hopefully will not hit the 'SPL Wall' as i like to call it. So if you were reading the thread last year, i hope you continue to enjoy and for all the newbies, come along and enjoy the blood, sweat and tears of being a Bhoy in Europe!!

Hail, Hail

Last season i went for the 4-4-2 Wingers formation as i thought it best suited the squad that i had and it was one **** of a tactic that i never changed throughout the 5 years. But this season, although that formation would still have fitted the squad perfectly, i opted for my favourite of all time 4-2-3-1, as we had lost Big Vic in the holding role, and i really don't feel Beram Kayal would do as good a job. Tom Rogic is an exciting player IRL that i would love to see progress in this game. And in the SPL i think can make a massive impression. So i feel i have a nice little backup for Commons in that 'Enganche' role. Ryan Gauld will get his appearances mainly in the league cup at this moment, unless he does something ******* amazing to change my find, and prove he is ready for 1st team action.

PRE-SEASON 2013

View attachment 458532

After all the summer sales i was really looking forwards to a nice healthy (by SPL standards) transfer and wage budget, but it was pretty much the same as last season, which was dissapointing. So ?2m to use in the market with around ?60k to offer on wages. By not really knowing this years market i was very limited as to where i was going to buy players and thought it would be best to just try and stick with the squad i inherited. I did manage to get rid of one player in particular that i am not keen on and that was Anthony Stokes... Unbelievably Fulham came in and offered him a chance in the EPL.. Tight bastards didnt offer me a full whack of the fee in one go tho opting for monthly installments, which i would generally refuse, but as it was Stokesy i was glad to see the back of him... Of the players i brought in i am very excited about... both John Souttar and Ryan Gauld (the SPL Lionel Messi). So i have started off with 2 homegrown players!!! which i never do! Antonio Adan and Franco Zucilini also came in to provide more depth... I am still looking for a backup LB but at the moment i really can't see how im going to finance that.

Friendly Results

Celtic 0-1 FC Bayern

Servette FC 0-5 Celtic
(Rogic, Forrest, Samaras, Pukki, Ambrose)

Arbroath 1-4 Celtic
(Izaguirre, Rogic, Balde, Samaras)

Celtic 10-1
T.N.S (CL Q.2 L1)
(Forrest, O.G, Lustig, Samaras, Pukki, Biton 2, Boerrigter, Balde, Kayal)

T.N.S 0-4 Celtic (CL Q.2 L2)
(Boerrigter, Balde, George, Ambrose)

Slovan Bratislava 1-1 Celtic
(Samaras)
Kayal S.O

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Georgios Samaras

View attachment 458519
For those of you that followed last season i had a massive love hate relationship with this guy. I think that may have stemed from my own IRL opinions of him as a player. But as a fan of Celtic FC i have learned to love this guy, and his pre-season games have only made that desicion more true. He has torn apart defences in 6 games that we have played scoring 6 and assisting 6 from the left wing position. I can already see him being a big part of our season, and have already offered a new contract as a host of clubs were sniffing around........

So after the first month we find ourselves 4th in the table, which although isn't exactly how we would expect it, i don't mind too much... This month has been full of fixtures, with 3 CL games and 4 League games, so there has been alot of squad rotation going on. The main focus being that we did make it to the group stages of the CL, which if we didnt would of been a bit of a dent in my overall challenge. So the initial sweat is over. Apart from that i also forgot how much money the CL will generate over the season, and a nice ?7m just for reaching the group stages will make the chairman a bit happier, and maybe encourage him to give out a little bit for the transfer kitty. There were 2 players i was trying to bring in, but unfortunetly couldn't sell, or get an improved boost from the board to finish the deals. Firstly was a LB from FC Midtjylland Jesper Juelsgard, who my scouts raved about.... but i couldn't afford the ?1.8m fee, and the second player which would of significantly improved my AMC was Oscar De Marcos from Athletic Bilbao, but i was a bit ambitious thinking the board would fund the ?8m fee after not signing my LB. But a little bit inside me thought the board would stop being ****** and realise that this was a massive transfer for the club. Still on the AMC subject little Ryan Gauld, has instantly proved to me that he needs to be a familiar face in my squad, putting in some amazing performances and not only scoring on his debut, recieving the P.O.M aswell!!! So that instantly made we whack Kris Commons on the transfer list. I think a rotation of Gauld and Rogic is going to produce some classy little displays from the AMC position this season.

RESULTS

Celtic 3-0 Ross County
(Lustig, Balde, George)

Celtic 2-0
Slovan Bratislav (CL Q.3 L2)
(Brown 2)

Celtic 1-2
St. Mirren
(Ambrose)

Aberdeen
2-3 Celtic
(Pukki, Forrest, Gauld)

Celtic 5-1
Legia (CL champ p/o L1)
(Pukki, Gauld, Matthews, Samaras, Balde)

Celtic 2-0
Inverness Caley Thistle
(O.G, Pukki)

Legia 2-1 Celtic (CL Champs p/o L2)
(Samaras)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Ryan Gauld
View attachment 458316

To be honest, it could of been a few. With the stand out players being Teemu Pukki, Paul George (little surprising) and Big Georgios. But after thinking this little gem was going to be more on the bench this season, he instantly proved me wrong by scoring the last minute winner on his debut and recieving P.O.M. So i decided to start him the following game were he didn't only score again but also got an assist. Proving to me that i'd be stupid to not seriously consider him as a regular member of the squad. He stepped up at the right time as Kris Commons is playing like a ****, and between himself and Tom Rogic we are going to see some quality in the playmakers position. 3 games, 2 goals, 2 assists. Hats of to you, Ryan Gauld, keep it up pal.

So the end of August has just seen us drawn in the CL group stages as 4th seed. Something that always worries me, as sods law i will get the group of death. But honestly can say i'm not worried about this and am looking for progression to the knockout stages. Group is as follows; PSV (our dutch brothers), CSKA Moscow and of course it had to be Barcelona. Seriously think we can get home and away wins against both PSV and CSKA, and deep in my heart i think we have to concede 2 losses to Barca, but the Bhoy in me is telling me we can get at least 1 win (fingers crossed). So here we go people, the European journey begins!!!!!

[video=youtube;Cav4uLyKXqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cav4uLyKXqk[/video]

Hail, Hail

I think the Champions League is made so Celtic always get Barcalona... Anything in the knockout stages would be great, and since you don't have a hard group I think it would be possible. Good luck and win the Champions League with Celtic for me ;)

Reading these stories is a good way to scout players that you're interested in. If I get my way Ryan Gauld, Virgil van Dijk and Teemu Pukki could all be following Victor Wanyama to St Mary's soon in my Saints save. So to further enhance the good will between our two great clubs, here's a smart looking Celtic badge (creating by Yasin Demirkale for use in Pro Evo but formatted by me for FM):

View attachment 411745View attachment 411748 ID: 1569

2 things

1) Van Dijk and Gauld are ABSOLUTELY INSANE and at St Mary's van Dijk will fit in straight away and the Gauld in a few years or maybe next season.. Pukki i'm not sure if he can cut it though..
2) Can you ask this fantasic man who created that to make one for Aberdeen? 10/10 would use!

Firstly, would just like to apologise for not updating all week, but work and daughter commitments meant i couldn't spend good time updating and getting on with the season like i would wish to. So regular updates will happen from Sunday-Tuesday... Then will be a bit quiet til the following sunday.

So it's pretty safe to say that i am pretty ****** off with my squad over these last 2 months. Very irregular results have stopped me from reaching top spot in the league for the first time, and its now the start of November. This month made me question my managerial ability as the SPL should be nearly in the bag now, especially with the squad i have in comparison to the other teams in our league. CL games also have been unlucky, with the exception of the PSV game were we just played like a bunch of idiots (politely put). As you can see we are sitting bottom on 1pt in the group stages, but on the bright side, we now have 2 home games to come, against teams i expected to beat at the start of the season, then a run around the Nou Camp, trying to keep our respect. Still confident of qualification, but i will also add, after the last 2 months i think i'd still be happy to take a 'Channel 5 Cup' spot, which you will never hear from me again!!! I don't really have much to say as obviously not in a good mood after this run, but i'll just post the results up, sign off, and hope to write up a complete change of events come the end of the upcoming month.... Early days still!

RESULTS

Dundee United 1-0 Celtic

Hearts 1-3 Celtic
(Forrest, Gauld, Balde)

CSKA Moscow 2-2 Celtic (CL Group)
(Forrest, Gauld)

Celtic 1-3
St. Johnstone
(Samaras)

Celtic 0-2
Cowdenbeath (LC 3rd)

Kilmarnock 2-3 Celtic
(Samaras, Biton, Boerrigter)

Celtic 2-3
Barcelona (CL Group)
(O.G, Izaguirre)

Celtic 4-2
Motherwell
(Balde, Gauld, Forrest, Ledley)

Hibernian 1-1
Celtic
(Samaras)

PSV 3-1 Celtic (CL Group)
(Balde)

Partick Thistle 1-4 Celtic
(Balde 2, Boerrigter, Lustig)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

September: Giorgios Samaras

October: Mickael Lustig

So a shocker few months and we have to get back on track asap if we are seriously going to contend for a spot in the next round in the CL. Im putting this down as our bad run in the season and hopefully we can move on quickly and keep the European nights banging down Celtic Park this year. Wish me luck

As a leaving part, PSV may have whooped us in CL but i do forgive them.
[video=youtube;g7BKkLXe98g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BKkLXe98g[/video]

Hail, Hail

Well November was a complete turn around from the last 2 months, putting in the results when really needed. We made it 100% victories this month, which we hadn't managed to do yet. This included all 3 competitions that we are currently left in. Main highlights have to be the 2 home wins in the CL to take us from bottom to 2nd, and within a shout of the knockout stages.. Just unfortunatly for us CSKA beat Barcelona 1-0 which leaves CSKA on level points with us, going into the last group game... Which had to be Barcelona... AWAY. So the realistic option for us to qualify is for PSV to beat CSKA as to be fair, were not going to beat Barca, at the Nou Camp. So the 'Channel 5 Cup' may still be on the horizons. League wise, we managed to take 3 points from every game, but on the downside we couldn't keep a clean sheet in any of those games. So come January i think the defence needs a bit of polishing up. The board finally pumped some money into the transfer budget, but i am struggling to find someone that can help with Europe for anything less than ?3m, and the board gave us ?2.7m....

Other news, 'The Traitor' is back from his loan at Elfsborg, and i may have to use him, as the suad depth isn't to great. If he can bag us a few goals, then great, if not, i have absolutely no hesitation on letting the back stabbing ******* leave.....

RESULTS

Celtic 2-1 Dundee United
(Boerrigter 2)

Celtic 2-1
PSV (CL Group)
(Ambrose, Balde)

Ross County
1-3 Celtic
(Balde 2, George)

Celtic 4-2
Aberdeen
(Balde, Ambrose, Souttar, George)

Celtic 1-0
CSKA Moscow (CL Group)
(Biton)

Celtic 6-3
Ayr United (WH SC 3rd)
(Balde 3, George, Boerrigter, Van Dijk)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Paul George

View attachment 455191
This little nippy winger was only included in the squad as at the start of the season i didn't have cover for James Forrest, but when used either as a sub or starting 11, he's been an integral part of our goals. Just this month he has scored 3 games in a row, and made another 3 assists. Not bad for a wee man that is just bench warming. With the way the first team had been performing, seeing this little gem put a smile on my face. An accidental descovery really as he would of been in the reserves for the whole time, had we had cover for Forrest.

Next up is the biggie... The match that determines our CL for this season.. If we fail, thats one year down with 4 to go. I would rather have the crack now. But it is Barcelona, and as good as they are, playing at the Nou Camp is only going to make it 50 times harder... I won't say a 100, because we could still get the result, football is a funny game. With this squad we will not win it this year, that is a given, but we sure as **** can have a good run (if we make it out of group)... A nice run this year could potentially open the market up a bit more for us next season. So we have to see this year, as a year of making oppurtunities for the future.

Hail, Hail

Great month, looking good for European football after Christmas, as long as you have luck on your side

quick question, how is van dijk progressing on this years version? i did 10 years at FC groningen last year and he ended up been absolutely world class as a libero and dutch captain, anything similar and he'll be a certainty to be signed by me when i get FM14 after christmas

He's not doing to bad, him and Efe Ambrose are my 2 main CB Van Dijk is average 7.04 and Ambrose 7.14... I wouldn't say he's been a stand out performer, but he's playing good enough. I had noticed alot of people talk about him on the forums, but as i mentioned, he's not doing anything special at the moment, but playing nicely.John Souttar is the defender im looking most forwards to. Due to the importance of my recent games i haven't been able to give him much of a run out, but hopefully come April i can play him more regularly.

quick question, how is van dijk progressing on this years version? i did 10 years at FC groningen last year and he ended up been absolutely world class as a libero and dutch captain, anything similar and he'll be a certainty to be signed by me when i get FM14 after christmas

Thought i had replied to you, but it didnt post for some reason. VAn Dijk is doing well, nothing exciting or spectacular but is putting in the performances when needed. Him and Efe Ambrose are my main CB's with Van Dijk averaging 7.04 and Efe av. of 7.14..... At this point the best way to describe him is 'solid'... But it is still early days. I had read alot about him in various forums, and he has had alot of rave reviews. So personally keen to see his progress, and if he does turn out the way everyone is saying, will try and keep him, even if big bucks are offered. The player im most excited about at the moment is John Souttar. But due to the importance of recent games i havent been able to give him a run out. Maybe nearer the end of the season i can play him more

Boooooooom, CL knockout here we come... Now we didn't qualify by a glourious defeat of BArcelona at the Nou Camp, oh no, far from it... We got torn a new one 4-0, but at the last hurdle, our Dutch brothers PSV managed to pull off an amazing 3-0 win away to CSKA which left us level on points with the Russians, but allowed us to go through on goal difference! I knew it was possible but the way we qualified was totally out of our hands, and i had accepted Channel 5 Cup after the final whistle was blown... So we achieved the 'nearly' unachievable, what lies next for us. Only 2 ties against fackin' CHELSEA, oh FFS. We are due a spanking there as my defence is really a problem for us at the moment, and with funds and reputation low, i can't see us pulling anyone good enough to correct this area for us. Alot of hard work is in order in the run up to these games. But got to have faith, as thats all we can wish for in this massive game. On the league front, we have managed to take the top spot which should of been ours a long time ago, and have reached a 9 point gap, leaving us nice and comfortable going into the second half of the season. Something we should of done earlier i know, but better late than never, and never looked a possible situation at one point. We didn't have a 100% record this month but i'm still buzzing. A couple of dodgy results but we've come out with the best results season wise for this point of the year, taking september and october in to consideration. Bring on Chelsea!!!!!!!! my early predictions are 1-1 at home and a 3-0 loss away, let's see if my Bhoys can prove me wrong!!!!

RESULTS

Motherwell 3-0 Celtic

Barcelona 4-0 Celtic (CL Group)

Celtic 2-0
Hibernian
(Balde, Forrest)

Celtic 4-4
Hearts
(Balde 3, O.G)

St. Johnstone
0-1 Celtic
(Balde)

Inverness Caley Thistle 1-2 Celtic
(Balde 2)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Amido Balde

View attachment 454882

This guy has not got the recognition he deserved all through the season. Was trying not to put the guy that scored the goals as POM as that is too easy, but Balde has been an absolute beast all through the season. But this month he was totally the standout player, 7 goals in 6 games, which too his season tally up to 23 goals out of 25. With Teemu Pukki not performing, this is exactly what i need, and with a new signing on the way in, i can afford to give 'The Beast' a well needed rest...

So Cl knockout in the bag, top of the league by 9 points, and actually managed to make it past the Scottish Cup 3rd round (*****), the season is still looking very bright. Realistically this year, the double is my goal, but if we can (flukely) get a result which takes us past Chelsea, then anything else is possible!!! I'm in a good mood so i'll leave you with something quite beautiful

[video=youtube;tBdxU-iINio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdxU-iINio[/video]

HAIL, HAIL

January, another impressive month. Taking 4 wins out of 5, and keeping the month loss free. Haven't really been banging the goals in, whilst conceding still.... Ever since my praise of Amido Balde, his form declined, but luckily one of the new boys that i brought in Stevie May, has picked it up. Unfortunetly didn't manage to sign a strong defender, but i did manage to vastly improve my midfield and front line. In fact made some big signings i wouldn't of expected to have obtained so early in the game.

View attachment 454837
There was only one permanent transfer, in Stevie May, 3rd signing of Scottish Nationality this season ( which i never do).. The rest were all on loan Abou Diaby, Oscar Hiljemark, Lucas Andersen and Lucas Ocampos. All of which i feel are great signings for a club like Celtic, and exactly the kind of names i would like to boost the side for the Champions League. I am most excited about Hiljemark and Ocampos. Oscar Hiljemark was one of my main players in the same story last season, and if he is the same in this game as the last, i am going to have a world class player in my midfield. We have the option of buying him for 6m, which i will try and find a way of funding. 2 other players that were close to signing were Raul Garcia of Atletico Madrid, and Diego Buonanotte from Granada, but they fell thru at the last moment.

RESULTS

Celtic 1-0 Partick Thistle
(Gauld)

St. Mirren 0-2 Celtic
(May, Commons)

Celtic 1-1
Kilmarnock
(Boerrigter)

Celtic 2-1
Motherwell
(Kayal, Boerrigter)

Hibernian 0-1 Celtic
(Forrest)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Derk Boerrigter

View attachment 454835
In actual fact 'The Boer' has been a stand-out performer keeping Samaras out when coming back from injury, but other players had just eclipsed his performances, but this month the boy will get his recognition for his work.... There was only 2 goals from him, but his constant threat from the left wing, shows how important he is especially the way he is playing. Although wee James Forrest has been getting a few goals from the right, out main plays are coming from Boerrigter down the left hand side. If he keeps it up we may see Samaras on the transfer list come the end of the season, as we need a cash boost!!!

So were approaching our first leg of the CL knockout stages, and i am more confident with a decent result now that i have managed to pull in an extra 5 very decent players. The squad depth has got alot better and i can start moving un-wanted/un-needed players to the reserves. As well as signing a few players we manageed to get rid of a couple. Kris Commons is off to Bolton at the end of the season on a free and we managed to Get 2m for Teemu Pukki who was just playing like an absolute tool!!!! I failed to mentioned these departures in the above transfer update, but just proves how important they were in this seasons challenge for silverware... I basically forgot that they went!!!! So keep tuned, we have the Chelsea games coming up and hopefully next months update will come with a draw for the next round of CL knockout.

HAIL, HAIL

Just going to point out.. Hearts would be 2nd if no points deduction.. it's wierd in my Aberdeen season they didn't even strike as half a worry for staying up!

Also enlighten me: how is Bangura a 'traitor'?

Just going to point out.. Hearts would be 2nd if no points deduction.. it's wierd in my Aberdeen season they didn't even strike as half a worry for staying up!

Also enlighten me: how is Bangura a 'traitor'?

Yeah the SPL can be a bit random can't it. So random, it took me til november to take top spot!!! Bangura, was loaned out to Elfsborg at the start of the season... And we both met in the Champions League qualifiers. Bangura was given the option to decide for himself if he was going to play or not being Celtic was his home club. And with this game deciding the fate of his home club and risk knocking us out he chose to play against us anyway. Although he didn't score (which he nearly did), he did make a few naughty tackles, and words were said several times between him and ledley and mulgrew also. So for that reason, he is a traitor.

Hail, Hail the Celts are here!!!! Booooooom Chelsea game (both legs) didn't go as i anticipated. I was proved wrong, and finally it was good! Granted 1st leg they had a man sent of, but i never expected to get 3 goals, let alone in the space of 9 minutes... As for the second leg, well what can i say. The boys did what they had to do and in doing so not only are we one step closer, we have an extra ?2.9m in the bank!!! I was so into this save that i even forgot that i had passed February and went into March! Next leg is against another London team, Arsenal... In fact the first leg is tomorrow at Home, so i want to get this done asap and get back onto it!!!! Beside all this European fun, we won the league away to the ever changing 2nd place team, this time being Partick Thistle. A win there secured the league with a 23 point league and still 6 games to go. A feat which looled very unlikely back in September/October, as the team were plainly, just *****!!! So one trophy down and 2 to go, c'mon Bhoys!!!!

RESULTS

Aberdeen 0-1 Celtic
(Brown)

Hibernian 0-2 Celtic (SC 5th Rd)
(Lustig, Bangura)

Celtic 3-0
St.Johnstone
(O.G, Izaguirre, Balde)

Hearts 1-2 Celtic
(Balde, Ocampos)

Celtic 3-1
Chelsea (CL KO 1)
(Boerrigter, Diaby, Van Dijk)

Celtic 2-2
Inverness Caley Thistle
(Balde 2)

Celtic 2-1
Aberdeen (SC q/f)
(Boerrigter, Andersen)

Kilmarnock 2-0 Celtic

Chelsea 1-1 Celtic (CL KO 1)
(Gauld)

Celtic 1-0
St. Mirren
(Balde)

Partick Thistle 0-3 Celtic
(Balde 2, Gauld)

Celtic 1-2
Ross County
(May)

SEASON ROUNDUP

I haven't done a monthly review of April and May, as we had already won the league, and depending on the next round of the CL i decided i would holiday to the end of the season, as all the work was done. Unfortunetly our quater final games against Arsenal, didn't go to plan. The 1st leg at home we managed a scrappy 3-3 draw after going 3-1 up! Typical, as I knew what would happen. On the return leg at the Emirates we got smashed 3-0 and never looked like a threat. All in all tho i was very happy with our European campaign, firstly with the squad that we had and secondly because we had such a dodgy first 3 games, progression to the group stages never looked possible. One downfall of my holiday was i completely forgot we still had the Scottish Cup final against Hearts, which once i looked back, saw that we had lost the tie. So only one piece of silverware this season, and a European run to make the board and fans proud.

AWARDS

Player of the year - Emilio Izaguirre

Goal of the Season - Paul George

U-19 Player of year - Ryan Gauld

PFA Young player of the year - Stevie May

So first season over with, and i'll try to keep this short (mainly as it's been a few days away from save, can't remember) but i'm very proud and happy looking back at the season we had, was very rocky, at times, but the bhoys had there heads on when really needed to. This season the board have been really generous, and have given me a ?10m transfer budget with 200k wages!!!!!! SO i've been doing a bit of wheeling and dealing and have pulled of some outstanding signings, which undoubtedly will boost our European chances. These names will be revealed in my next post and hopefully more once the pre-season has finished!

HAIL, HAIL