Central Defender on Cover Duty problems.

Whatever they can do, you can do too.

Have you also considered the attributes of the Cover defender pushing up? Does he have poor decisions? High aggression?

Yeah nothing to note, good decisions and average aggression. Although it bugs me, i'm over it now and will just have defensive duties attached to my middle two when in a 4231 from now on.

Thanks for you time and points in the discussion though - I never mean to sound argumentative I just sometimes can't let something go before I full understand why something is happening.

Yeah nothing to note, good decisions and average aggression. Although it bugs me, i'm over it now and will just have defensive duties attached to my middle two when in a 4231 from now on.

Thanks for you time and points in the discussion though - I never mean to sound argumentative I just sometimes can't let something go before I full understand why something is happening.
No I don't mind. If you believe something to be the case, there's no issue. With enough information/evidence/whatever we can all look at the same thing.

By the way, I'm not a Cleon etc so I can't really tell you if it's right or wrong here. I'm just saying that this is how the game works. That much I know. To me it seems acceptable behaviour to want to engage the threat immediately in front of you, but maybe there should be special cases - cover duty defenders or very low closing down etc.

By the way, I'm not a Cleon etc so I can't really tell you if it's right or wrong here. I'm just saying that this is how the game works. That much I know. To me it seems acceptable behaviour to want to engage the threat immediately in front of you, but maybe there should be special cases - cover duty defenders or very low closing down etc.

Don't get me wrong I am fairly football knowledgable, and agree that if a striker is in space, he should be closed down - however like you said I do feel there should be exceptions.

I am going to send a pkm of a match a while back.

View attachment 174432

If you look at the first goal they score, you'll see the ball spread out to their left winger, and my right back will be marking him and my central defender will leave his man and sprint over to the guy on the ball.

This is why I feel it's not got much to do with the support duty in MC, because I have had many 4231s which haven't had this issue - which would indicate it is an individual problem with the player but I honestly have scanned him over and there's nothing to indicate he should close down aggressively.

Don't get me wrong I am fairly football knowledgable, and agree that if a striker is in space, he should be closed down - however like you said I do feel there should be exceptions.

I am going to send a pkm of a match a while back.

View attachment 1026665

If you look at the first goal they score, you'll see the ball spread out to their left winger, and my right back will be marking him and my central defender will leave his man and sprint over to the guy on the ball.

This is why I feel it's not got much to do with the support duty in MC, because I have had many 4231s which haven't had this issue - which would indicate it is an individual problem with the player but I honestly have scanned him over and there's nothing to indicate he should close down aggressively.
That's a completely different situation to the one you showed in the screenshots though. This is in the box. There's a trigger in the ME that does this. Used to be worse in previous editions. This one does seem worthy of a report as there is a defender on the attacker.

That's a completely different situation to the one you showed in the screenshots though. This is in the box. There's a trigger in the ME that does this. Used to be worse in previous editions. This one does seem worthy of a report as there is a defender on the attacker.

I do get that it's completely different situation, but there have been multiple scenarios where the same player will close down aggressively like above. I play 4231 a lot on football manager, and I never see anything like this in my 4231s, and they are all fairly similar tactics, as I do have a few philosophies - so I think it's odd that this happens.