Charge For Honour! 2-4-4-0 testing with Crystal Palace & Real Madrid

molochicken

Reaction score
Overload 2440 Version 1.4

View attachment 205465

Important attributes for AMCs (Descending):First Touch, Off the Ball, Passing
Important attributes for Wingers (Descending): Crossing, Off the ball
Important attributes for Central Defenders (Descending): Tackling, Quickness
Sweeper keeper could make this better. If you don't have one, Ordinary Keeper is also fine.
For other positions, just fit them to the role.

Where do the goals mainly come from?
Early Cross to the other side of the pitch--> half chances for wide players against goal keeper at narrow angle
Crossing by-line--> Clear Cut Chances for players on Far post

Counter 2440 Version 1.2

View attachment 205466

Important attributes for AMCs (Descending):First Touch, Quickness, Finishing/Composure
Important attributes for Wingers (Descending): Crossing, Decisions
Important attributes for Central Defenders (Descending): Tackling, Quickness
Sweeper keeper could make this better. If you don't have one, Ordinary Keeper is also fine.
For other positions, just fit them to the role.
Where do the goals mainly come from?
Early cross from inside forwards to AMCs --> Clear Cut Chances for AMCs having 1 on 1 with keeper
Crossing by-line--> Half Chances for AMCs and winger

Counter 2440 could be improved. Any comments are welcomed!

OIs are common for both tactics:
View attachment 206952
I don't believe in regular OIs for wingers and strikers. Of course marking instructions for Walcott and Giroud would be different. I set it every time by myself.

When to use which?
Overload 2440 is for maintaining immense attacking pressure. Counter 2440 is for applying a more conservative approach. I used Overload 2440 most of the times. Counter 2440 are only used for away games against superior teams and knock-out phase in later stages of cup competitions.

It would also be great to set an Attacking tactic as a starting option with shorter passing and normal tempo. For the purpose of testing I did not do that.

Tactical thoughts behind:

I had been using 2440 since 15 and it had been a great success. It's probably the time to post it out now in 16.

The idea of 2440 is to press immensely to get the ball, attack with high speed ball movement, and try to make clear cut chances. The mentality could be Overload, Attacking or Counter. Possession isn't a consideration. After losing the ball, the team shall push high up the field and try to get the ball back with very tight marking, which a lot of tactics already does in 16.

The difference of 2440 is the pressing of the AMCs. While both strikers and AMCs will press the opposition Centre Backs, AMCs will retreat deeper than striker,which I see as more effective pressing in Mid-Field and picking up 50/50 chances of getting the ball.

I observed three Dominating Factors in FM 2016: Pressing, Crossing and Dual Strikers(or triple strikers if you can manage). The problem of dual strikers is in order to provide enough through balls or crossing for them, you won't be able to defense as well. I try to maintain the three in this 2440 with the AMCs doing partly what Dual strikers should do. There could be many ways to achieving the 3 aims, 2440 is one of them.

The Testing Result with no Save/Loads:

I picked Crystal palace to test for bottom half table teams with a possibility of relegation. My Crystal palace have the worst heading in the league. 2440 can end up with better results!

3rd in place with 70 points, managed to grab 92 goals with crystal palace(the most in the league), which I considered as a mid-high number for player controlled Crystal Palace.

View attachment 206953

And I won the Capital One Cup!
View attachment 206955

Transfer History:

View attachment 206957
Sadly, I could not find avoid-relegation teams that fits the tactics perfectly. I can guarantee that from the start to the end of the season, no player's CA exist 150(highest ca is Cabaye's 150 which is not transferred).

P.S. Transfer of players such as Canales which would not be willing to enter contract negotiations can be done by giving the staff responsibilities of negotiating contract to another staff, and they will sign a contract! And yes, Rugani is willing to come to crystal palace!

Weaknesses:

Yes,there should be weaknesses for every tactic.
- You will get a lot of yellow and red cards(counter 2440 pick up less cards)
- You will be beaten by very fast strikers with overload 2440. On the other hand, its quite save to use overload 2440 against slow strikers except those in the tactics below
- You will lose up a lot of stamina, although not necessarily faster/more than you opponents

2440 is vulnerable against:
View attachment 206958View attachment 206959
352 (especially this form) & 442

352 narrow is very difficult to break down. I considered it as one of the most balanced well-performing tactic.
442's crossing is very difficult to stop, even with 2 DMCs and wing backs with tight marking on, they will just score from crossing.
Others tactics should be used to face these two. Any ideas on how to beat them will be appreciated!

***********Update***********

I managed to do a test with Real Madrid, no transfer, until 1st Jan with no Save/Load:

View attachment 206401
Overload 2440 is used in every minute. Not even changed it once. Played every match with no stimulation.

View attachment 206430
1st, 57 goals in 17 matches, conceding 16

View attachment 206432
25 matches Unbeaten in all competitions with every mtach. 12 won in row

View attachment 206435
184 shoot on target, while Barcelona only having 105 ( Player instructions include not taking long shots/shoot less!)

View attachment 206433View attachment 206434
57 goals including 11 goals from corner

View attachment 206436
157 crosses completed, while Barcelona only had 105( Barcelona DO cross in FM 16)

View attachment 206431
The most funny of all: Ranked 18th in Pass completion Ratio! (That is part of tactics)

View attachment 206417
Beaten Barcelona by 5-2
I also managed to get 17 offside in 1 match against Atlético

These are all done with no Save/Load, Ronaldo, Varane and Bale each out for a month.
I would say that the tactic is very successful at this point. I will carry on until the end of the season!

***The power of the tactic remain in Overload 2440. Use overload most of the time! ***

Last edited:
This tactic looks like a lot of fun but to be honest, i dont see the point in trying it with Crystal Palace when you've signed players for £75 mil. I mean, its a great result for you and all, but I would have prefered to see you trying it without spending so much money

Looks good!! Most tactics posted here so far are defensive minded and just boring.

I wonder how many goals this tactic would produce with a big team. Have you tried with any?

I'm seeing some incredible football been played with this. The pressing high up the pitch and quick ball movement results in lots and lots of CCCs. It's beautiful to watch. Well done molochicken!

This tactic looks like a lot of fun but to be honest, i dont see the point in trying it with Crystal Palace when you've signed players for £75 mil. I mean, its a great result for you and all, but I would have prefered to see you trying it without spending so much money

I manage to do a save with Real Madrid with no transfer, if that satisfies you

Last edited:
Looks good!! Most tactics posted here so far are defensive minded and just boring.

I wonder how many goals this tactic would produce with a big team. Have you tried with any?

I Just updated with Real Madrid!

Looks a lot of fun indeed, I'll give it a go with Arsenal and post the results.

Update: Just saw my first team smash the Reserves 14-2, biggest win I've ever seen at this stage already.

Last edited:
Looks a lot of fun indeed, I'll give it a go with Arsenal and post the results.

Update: Just saw my first team smash the Reserves 14-2, biggest win I've ever seen at this stage already.

Remember to train tactics familiarity! Most teams I tried have low initial familiarity with 2440.

Oh absolutely, I duplicated it 3 times to speed up familiarity. Won CShield against Chelsea with a 2-0 scoreline. In truth, Cech won us the game with a 9.2 Man of the Match rating.

Update: Lost 2-1 to Swansea, hit the post 4 times and Flamini decking someone on the edge of their box in the 20th minute to get a red card didn't help.

Update 2: Annihilated Bournemouth 7-2. I can already see where this tactic is getting it's strength from (and also some weaknesses in defence). Firstly, the wingers are literally tearing teams to shreds. Sanchez bagged 5 goals, 3 of which were in swinging crosses to the back post from the right hand side. The ball is zipping around with ferocity and I think that takes advantage of this match engine that favours the crossing. There is also what some would consider a corner bug (not that I really buy into that), with the ball being fired towards the deep sitting ACM (in my case, Cazorla) who is opting to play it through the lines to a player, thus often scoring a close range goal. The 2 man defence is cut open most of the time, Per's speed simply will not work in this formation. Might be worth going with a sweeper keeper role to help out, but when overloaded, the back 6 do amble backwards at a fairly slow speed compared to the opposition who just blitz past them.

Still, I recorded the biggest win I have had on this ME, so that's a plus. Definitely of the outscore your opponents cloth that this tactic is cut from.

Last edited:
Oh absolutely, I duplicated it 3 times to speed up familiarity. Won CShield against Chelsea with a 2-0 scoreline. In truth, Cech won us the game with a 9.2 Man of the Match rating.

Update: Lost 2-1 to Swansea, hit the post 4 times and Flamini decking someone on the edge of their box in the 20th minute to get a red card didn't help.

Lol Premier League is hard. As long as you are having more CCCs than your opponents the tactic has achieved its goal. I'd say its early in the season and familiarity should still be around competent. Try my updated version 1.4!

Is there a way to check for CCC's? I'm going on the assumption that it refers to Clear Cut Chances.

The tactic is now at Fluid, that's 2 games into the season (ignoring the CShield), has 1.4 just been released?

Update: Lost 5-2 to City with the Counter tactic (at Competent). I don't think it's so indicative of the tactic, Aguero is just ridiculous in this game. He scored 4, 2 were rebounds, one was gifted to him (defenders seem to play the ball to quick in the tactic, leading to sloppy possession) and one he broke through my high line and rounded Cech in a one on one.

I am seeing Santi (playing as one of the AMCs) often spreading the ball out wide in the hopes of finding Sanchez, probably seen him do it around 8 times in total, succeeding in one completed pass.

Last edited:
I have Mesut/Santi taking my corners. Essentially, it's the player lurking outside the box who you want to have long range shooting setup on. Or vision and passing to play through the lines.

By looking at the corner setup, I'm gessing it's the AMCR, because he is the only one with a generic "Go Foward" instruction.

I have Mesut/Santi taking my corners. Essentially, it's the player lurking outside the box who you want to have long range shooting setup on. Or vision and passing to play through the lines.

Early days, first 3 games of the season, but look at the number of chances created... and the style of play is so fast and furious...