King Sid

Reaction score
OK so I've just taken over Chelsea at the end of the 2011/12 season after moving from Portsmouth. I've strengthened my attack and midfield but could do with some advice for me defence.

I'm looking for young-ish players to replace Ashley Cole and Branislav Ivanovic as Cole in particular is getting on a bit and I feel could be a weak link. Here's a screen of my team, all recommendations welcome.

I'm guessing you would want an attacking full back as Cole is very good going forward and Srna on the opposite side suggests your attacking width comes from your fullbacks.

Dodo
Fabian Monzon
Filipe
Michel Bastos
Juan Vargas

Also if you still have Tomas Kalas at the club then keep hold of him, he becomes a great CB. If not try:

Sebastian Coates
Darnel Situ
Mateo Mussachio
Phil Jones

Yer I like attacking full backs, Srna was there when I arrived though. The players I've signed are Pato, Hulk, Hamsik and Sissoko. Only had Torres, Drogba and Sturridge for ST when I arrived.

Cool I'll take a look at them then thanks.

Kalas is still with me but on loan at Wolfsburg at the moment, I can re-call him though if I need to. Yer I was thinking of Phil Jones, we're going to need some English players for Europe. Only in the Europa League though, finished 5th before I took over. Why I've spent so much lol.

As Srna must be in his 30s on your save maybe someone you could look at to replace him at RB is Sime Vrsaljko. He is a wing back and I signed him a couple of seasons in on my Real Madrid save to compete with Sergio Ramos and he has been very good for me. Also he is croatian like Srna and will still be very young on your save so maybe Srna can tutor him ;).

Cheers Jake, I'll take a look at that thread.

As Srna must be in his 30s on your save maybe someone you could look at to replace him at RB is Sime Vrsaljko. He is a wing back and I signed him a couple of seasons in on my Real Madrid save to compete with Sergio Ramos and he has been very good for me. Also he is croatian like Srna and will still be very young on your save so maybe Srna can tutor him ;).

Yer I've been looking at RB as well slightly and he cropped up. I'd heard him mentioned before so had my scouts take a look at him. He's 20 so your right would be good to have him tutored by Srna. Only downside is though is he's at Inter and will cost around £35m and I thought that may be a tad expensive. If he's worth it though I'll go have another look.

Cheers Jake, I'll take a look at that thread.

Yer I've been looking at RB as well slightly and he cropped up. I'd heard him mentioned before so had my scouts take a look at him. He's 20 so your right would be good to have him tutored by Srna. Only downside is though is he's at Inter and will cost around £35m and I thought that may be a tad expensive. If he's worth it though I'll go have another look.

I think I only paid around 16 million when he was 21 on my Real Madrid save as he was still at Dinamo so I think 35 mil may be a bit too much. You never know in a few more seasons or something he may become unhappy or something and you might be able to pick him up for cheap lol.

I think I only paid around 16 million when he was 21 on my Real Madrid save as he was still at Dinamo so I think 35 mil may be a bit too much. You never know in a few more seasons or something he may become unhappy or something and you might be able to pick him up for cheap lol.

He's unhappy at Inter at the moment lol so I've just released a comment and made a bid of £15m lol we'll see how low Inter are willing to go.

Would Jack Robinson be a good signing for LB? I bought him for Portsmouth at the start of last season, supposedly he can become a leading PL player. Here's his screenie:

He becomes very good if your willing to wait, do you still need another player? If you need a RB, I recommend Seamus Coleman

I guess Cole has probably got another couple of seasons in him at the moment so I could get him and let him develop.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look. I'm not sure whether I'll get a RB this season yet but I'll keep the guys mentioned in mind and see how they get on if I don't opt to buy one.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Any luck with Vrsaljko mate?

Nah they rejected my £15m but they just signed Zapata as well. I'll release some more comments and see if I can get them down.

CB: Phil Jones (a must), Musacchio, Munoz, Galeano, Rafael Toloi, Alberto Botia, Zapata
LB: Coentrao, Bale, Alex Sandro, Marcelo

Just signed Phil Jones, now turning my attentions to my full-backs.

Inter have rejected up to £25m for Vrsaljko so far and now he's saying he's optimistic :(. Coleman I've released a couple of comments about and he's largely ignored them, I'll see how much Everton want in a minute.

I think I'm going to go for Robinson for LB. Thanks for all the other advice but I think I someone else English and he seems as good as the rest mentioned or has the potential to be. Pompey want £15m though, can't decide whether it's worth it.

Dude, you don't need a replacement for Cashley if you still have Ryan Bertrand...

Dude, you don't need a replacement for Cashley if you still have Ryan Bertrand...

Is Bertrand good enough though for a title challenging team? I didn't think he was but I may be wrong.

IMO yes. On my longest save, he didn't just come in and keep Cole out of the Chelsea team, he became England's first choice left-back too. He certainly turns out better than Jack Robinson imo.