Chelsea consider fresh Modric bid

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 5K
We have someone who owned him in FA youth cup semi finals.. Ravel Morrison.. Just a matter of time before he sorts out his attitude, which he is improving and also Pogba.. ;)

He isnt ready to play yet, but if he can get his head together

So you watched Modric a lot when he was 18 now did you? Don't quite believe that...

Modric is more than capable of working in advanced positions as he has proved many times and he plays that role for Croatia a lot as well.

You frequently watched Dinamo Zagreb games 7 years ago to see what Modric was like then? :P

Just reports not actual viewings obviously.

He isnt ready to play yet, but if he can get his head together

Not yet ready to play full 90 mins but it will be better to give him few games, also to Pogba who is miles above others in the academy bar Ryan and Ravel.

And I dont agree with Modric not being Versatile. He started as Left winger, then played in advanced position now he is playing bit deeper, if thats not versatility then I dont know what is. Maybe Jacko is expecting Modric to cover every position like O'God..

We have someone who owned him in FA youth cup semi finals.. Ravel Morrison.. Just a matter of time before he sorts out his attitude, which he is improving and also Pogba.. ;)

Both are very good especially Pogba but im still enclined to believe Josh is at a higher level then both of them.

Both are very good especially Pogba but im still enclined to believe Josh is at a higher level then both of them.

Well you have to be as he played few mins for Chelsea as of now..

Nope, still not buying it.

You dont have too, Modric is worth more to Spurs than his actual face value. He has been very good the last year or two but the price we would have to pay is too much simple as that. Josh has the potential to be better than Modric and like i said i believe he can play the different roles better than Modric.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Well you have to be as he played few mins for Chelsea as of now..

In terms of ability etc.

You dont have too, Modric is worth more to Spurs than his actual face value. He has been very good the last year or two but the price we would have to pay is too much simple as that. Josh has the potential to be better than Modric and like i said i believe he can play the different roles better than Modric.In terms of ability etc.

Sigh, your just guessing now. Until we have seen McEchran play consistently in the prem and not just 20 minute cameo's when your winning then we can see his potential. No point arguing with you when your making silly predictions of your 'wonder kid'.

Last edited:
Pretty much all of it tbh. Saying that you would prefer an inexperienced teenager who must of played about 200 minutes of prem football of the bench over an experienced and highly regarded world class playmaker is just ridiculous. As for saying he would get more assists, I'm sure that if Spurs had as good strikers as Chelsea do then Modric would have had more assists, so we really can't judge that. What Chelsea need is Modric, not a teenager that has hardly experienced the premier league.

Also, regarding the price, Modric is likely to be above 35m for several reasons:

1) He's proven in the PL, unlike Sneijder.
2) He has 5 years left on his contract, unlike Sneijder.
3) He's younger than Sneijder, and you need youth with your ageing team
4) We REALLY don't want to/have to sell him, where as it seems Inter are willing to do.
5) Chelsea are our rivals and by selling, we weaken ourselves and strengthen you.
1) What is world class exactly, because Modric would be nowhere near my 'World XI' and I don't rate him above the likes of Sneidjer, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, etc. He is a great player, but is not as good as you make him out to be and I wouldn't pay £35m for him, although prices are inflated nowadays.
2) You talk about experience but how is McEachran going to get it if Chelsea sign a first team player, blocking his path. Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta were all given chances rather than Barcelona/Arsenal going out and buying a multi-million star. 3) Chelsea should go out and buy someone younger than Modric to compliment their ageing squad - maybe Pastore (if PSG hadn't got him)?
3) People make such a big deal about the Premier League being the roughest and hard to adjust to, but really, let's be honest Sneidjer is a lot better and would probably do well in the Prem too.
4) He has 5 years on his contract and 'Arry is so stubborn and stupid, in my opinion (I really dislike 'Arry), and overrates his top players. Bale (who has had 2, if not, 1 great season) for £50m? No thanks.
5) I don't believe in the 'selling to rivals strengthens them' bullshit. You get money from the deal to spend on other (maybe better) players, don't you? So there you go.
So you watched Modric a lot when he was 18 now did you? Don't quite believe that...

Modric is more than capable of working in advanced positions as he has proved many times and he plays that role for Croatia a lot as well.
Modric is probably better in advanced positions, but McEachran has more potential (in my opinion) and you don't have to watch Modric at 18 to know, you can just tell by his assists, goals and probably what club he plays for/caps for his country.

Still, you are being very biased towards Modric. I agree he is a great player (better than McEachran currently) and Spurs should keep him, but I think he is worth £35m max and McEachran should be given a chance to prove how good he is in the Premier League - he scored against Aston Villa in Asia, didn't he?

Plus, Villas-Boas seems willing to give the Chelsea youth a chance and should be able to lead them to the Premier League title without any new additions to the squad.

This whole 'McEachran is more versatile than Modric' stuff is complete bullshit. Modric can play deep in midfield, behind the striker, and on either wing - indeed the latter is where he used to be played by Redknapp IIRC. I doubt you can say McEachran will definitely be better than Modric as well. He's promising, but Jeffers was promising once.

Modric started as Treq, then left wing, before playing CM. Hugely versatile player. That said, not sure i would spend 35m while I had a player like Josh

Sigh, your just guessing now. Until we have seen McEchran play consistently in the prem and not just 20 minute cameo's when your winning. No point arguing with you when your making silly predictions of your 'wonder kid'.

Well considering his best performances has been when we wearn't winning or from starts thats false.

1)
2) You talk about experience but how is McEachran going to get it if Chelsea sign a first team player, blocking his path. Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta were all given chances rather than Barcelona/Arsenal going out and buying a multi-million star.

Well Barca bought Ronaldinho, Deco, MVB and many other players but later shipped out.

Not arguing, just pointing out ;)

This whole 'McEachran is more versatile than Modric' stuff is complete bullshit. Modric can play deep in midfield, behind the striker, and on either wing - indeed the latter is where he used to be played by Redknapp IIRC. I doubt you can say McEachran will definitely be better than Modric as well. He's promising, but Jeffers was promising once.

Jeffers. i rofld hard. i tripled myself.

it 2 years from now, McEachran will be a diamond, just wait and see fellow 'football professors'.

Why not rave about him?? If i remember correctly you have never been too hot on him anyway. Just because Jeffers was promising and didnt reach the hights expected of him dosent mean McEachran wont and we are living for the moment and at this moment in time McEachran is one of the most talented young footballers in this country.

Jeffers was a Legend tbh.. Made Wenger to pay 8 Million in 2000s says a lot ;)

Completely agree with Modric point, I said the same few posts earlier. Modric is very versatile..

Completely agree with Modric point, I said the same few posts earlier. Modric is very versatile..

Was versatile, was very quiet in England until he found this deeper role and this will be his role until he retires.

Was versatile, was very quiet in England until he found this deeper role and this will be his role until he retires.

Not true, not true, not true. It was his ability to dictate play from wide that got him moved central to have a bigger impact

Why not rave about him?? If i remember correctly you have never been too hot on him anyway. Just because Jeffers was promising and didnt reach the hights expected of him dosent mean McEachran wont and we are living for the moment and at this moment in time McEachran is one of the most talented young footballers in this country.

For the love of...

Look, McEachran is very promising, I said that above. And you remember incorrectly - I really rate him. However, I'm preaching caution, not that that we should call him ****. You said earlier that he 'will be better than Modric' and we don't know that, however highly rated he is. All I'm saying is it is ridiculous to be saying stuff like that when he can still fail. More to the point, statements like the ones you were making is one of the reasons our youth sometimes don't perform. The pressure on them is enormous, and with statements like that you're only fuelling the fire.

That was before Wenger had to spend low, but the point remains. ;)

Not really. He was very good playing from left wing. He can still play in any of his previous role. Dont know what you meant by WAS versatile. This is like saying Messi is a false 9 and cant play from Right wing as he didn't play there last season..

Back