Chelsea FC - A Samillyroy Legacy Returns for FM13

Premier League Matchday 7
Stamford Bridge, London

320641d1363697607-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelsea-logo-icon.jpg
CHELSEA40SUNDERLANDView attachment 320963
Mikel (16, 21)
Azpilicueta (36)
Marin (56)

Britain-Soccer-Premier-League_12.jpg

Marin celebrates his first goal for Chelsea.

Chelsea rounded off a great week with victory over a poor Sunderland side, with three players scoring their first Premier League goals.

Mikel stepped up to take a penalty after just 16 minutes when Fernando Torres was felled in the area, calmly slotting past Mignolet, before stepping up to blast an exquisite free-kick just 5 minutes later to give Chelsea a two goal lead.

The Blues were dominating proceedings, playing some excellent football and really forcing Sunderland into submission. But they were thrown a curve ball when Oscar was substituted with what looked to be a serious injury in the first half. He was replaced by Marko Marin for his Premier League debut.

But it was full back Cesar Azpilicueta who was next to score just before half time, racing from right back towards the goal before slamming home a beauty from 20 yards.

Marin then tucked home a Hazard cross early in the second half to seal what was a deserved victory and Chelsea sat back to seal the three points. Fletcher went close with a couple of chances late on but Sunderland rarely threatened.

Sam Illyroy said:
Finally a scoreline that reflects our dominanace, we were brilliant today. I am dissapointed to lose Oscar to another injury but Marko came in, took his goal and looked very lively so that just shows that we have a number of options to keep things lively.
The international break has come at a great time for us really because we played 4 games in the past week and we're ready to relax for a bit before coming back for that huge game against Manchester United.

View attachment 320966View attachment 320967

Manchester United v. Chelsea
Premier League Matchday 8, Old Trafford

KEY PLAYER - ROBIN VAN PERSIE (9 Apps, 9 goals)
View attachment 320970
Robin van Persie is Manchester United's new talisman. Arrived for over 20 million pounds from Arsenal over the summer, but has quickly repaid that faith with some exquisite goals and displays. May miss out on this match if his red card against Tottenham is boosted to a 3 match ban. That would be quite a boost for Chelsea.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea welcome back John Terry into the fold and were delighted to learn that Oscar's knock against Sunderland was not a serious one, though it is still doubtful he will take part. Paulo Ferreira is out for 3 weeks.

Manchester United will potentially be without key player Robin van Persie through suspension, pending a decision to be made this week. On top of that Rio Ferdinand, Chris Smalling and Danny Welbeck will all miss out with injury.

MATCH PREVIEW

Chelsea are ahead of Manchester United in the table, after United drew against Tottenham before the international break. That said, both have had decent starts to the campaign and will regard this as a real test of their title credentials. If Manchester United are without Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck for this match, then that could be a big blow for them, but Alex Ferguson is confident they have enough quality to cope.

Sam Illyroy said:
We can't focus on who is out for them, we can only focus on the players that we have available, and that is pretty much a full strength squad. I am really excited about this game and I think that we can go there with a game plan and really cause them some problems.

Premier League Matchday 8
Old Trafford, Manchester

View attachment 320971MAN UTD01CHELSEA
320641d1363697607-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelsea-logo-icon.jpg
Lampard (3)
franklamparddembabacelebvwhufc20130317_640x360.jpg

Lampard's early strike was enough to secure a vital victory.

Chelsea put on a big display to see off Manchester United at Old Trafford this afternoon and move them top of the Barclays Premier League. Frank Lampard's finish after 3 minutes was enough to claim victory.

Illyroy sprung a surprise with his team selection, opting to drop Juan Mata in place of David Luiz and going for a three man midfield of Mikel, Lampard and Luiz. And it was Lampard who struck the vital blow after three minutes, arriving from deep to slam home Demba Ba's knock down.

Chelsea sat back from there and looked to create on the counter-attack, allowing the likes of Marek Hamsik and Wayne Rooney to start creating for Manchester United. In the first half alone, United hit the crossbar twice.

In the second half, Manchester United hit the bar two more times and had a goal disallowed as they searched for that all important equaliser but without their talisman Robin van Persie, missing through suspension, they clearly lacked that clinical touch and Chelsea held on for the 3 points.

Sam Illyroy said:
I went with an XI that I thought could be disciplined enough but still offer something up front. I think we were stunted by the formation in the second half and really struggled to create much but defensively we were very sound and I am delighted with the win.

View attachment 320974View attachment 320975

BATE Borisov v. Chelsea
UEFA Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 3
uefa_champions_league.jpg

KEY PLAYER - PAVEL NIAKHAIYCHIK (25 Apps, 5 goals)
View attachment 320981
Pavel is a home grown player for BATE and is something of a fans favourite. A tricky left winger, he is arguably BATE's biggest threat for Chelsea and could cause their full backs some problems.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea are without Paulo Ferreira but have no fresh injury worries following the weekend's clash with Man United.

BATE are likely to be without former Arsenal midfielder Aliaksander Hleb though they're hoping that he may have some part to play in proceedings. Other than that they have a full squad.

MATCH PREVIEW
Chelsea's draw on their last trip in Europe leaves them top of the table but on goal difference. Their opponents are bottom of the table after two defeats to Basel and Benfica respectively. That leaves Chelsea as firm favourites to secure their second Champions League win of the season but there can be no room for complacency.

Sam Illyroy said:
We want to finish top of this group and to do that we need to get a couple of results away from home. We played okay against Basel but I'm looking for a better European performance this evening, and if I get that then I'm sure we can get a victory.

UEFA Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 3
Dinamo Stadium, Minsk

View attachment 320984
BATE BORISOV

CHELSEA
Cech o.g. (22)
Torres (11)
Moses (34)
Mata (53)

908716-15140421-640-360.jpg

Goalscorers Moses and Mata celebrate their first goals of the season.

Chelsea took a big step towards qualifying from their group in the Champions League with victory over Belarussian side BATE Borisov. Torres bagged his first goal in 8 games, before Moses and Mata made sure of victory with their firsts of the campaign.

It didn't take long for the away side to get into their stride, but their plans were interrupted by an injury to Ramires after just 8 minutes. He was replaced by Eden Hazard who came on to set up Torres for the opening goal.

BATE Borisov equalised shortly afterwards as a header came off the bar and hit Cech to go in for 1-1, but Chelsea soon took the lead again as Victor Moses found space in the box to slam home.

In the second half, Chelsea really pushed on with Oriol Romeu impressively dictating the tempo, and Juan Mata weaved past a couple of players before slamming home for his first of the season - Chelsea fans will be hoping that it is the first of many.

Overall, a pleasing third match in Group G which leaves the Blues top and 2 points clear of second placed Basel who were held to a draw by Benfica.
Sam Illyroy said:
I'm pleased again with our display and to get our first away victory in the Champions League this season is vital. I thought Moses was particularly impressive and I'm hoping to see more from him as the season goes on. Ramires' injury will be assessed over the next couple of days but we're hopeful that it is not as bad as first feared.
View attachment 320985View attachment 320986

Chelsea v. Swansea
Premier League Matchday 9, Stamford Bridge

KEY PLAYER - JOHN OBI MIKEL (12 Apps, 3 goals)
View attachment 321012
John Obi Mikel has become a key player in Chelsea's team this season, even managing to get on the scoresheet in the past few games. The big Nigerian has become incredibly important for controlling the midfield for Chelsea, crucial in their recent victories.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea will be without Ramires who picked up a knock against BATE Borisov, whilst Paulo Ferreira remains out for the rest of the month.

Roland Lamah, Dwight Tiendalli, Itay Shechter and Darnel Situ are all missing for Swansea, potentially important injuries for them.

MATCH PREVIEW

Swansea are in their second season in the Premier League now, and under the management of Michael Laudrup they have started slowly. His new signings are taking some time to settle in but with no pressure on them in this game, it could be one to kick start their campaign. Chelsea will be very tough opposition though, currently on a 4 match winning streak in the Premier League and their manager was in no mood for a let up.

Sam Illyroy said:
The fans will be expectant today and so are we, we know we need to keep up this good form. To go to Old Trafford in the last game and get a win was important but it's just as important that we follow that up with a good home win.

The teams really starting to hit a bit of form now and even Mikel is scoring so you must be doing something right haha :p

Premier League Matchday 9
Stamford Bridge, London

CHELSEA00SWANSEAView attachment 321028
swansea-chelsea_2460402b.jpg

Eden Hazard struggled to break through the Swansea backline.

Chelsea were held to a draw at home against Swansea this morning, seeing their winning streak brought to an end due to a lacklustre attacking display.

Coming off the back of a good performance in Europe midweek, Chelsea fans were hoping the Blues would pick up from there for this match, but unfortunately the likes of Juan Mata and Demba Ba were anonymous throughout.

In fact in the first half, it was the visitors who had the better of the opportunities, Luke Moore twice breaking through the Chelsea backline to test Petr Cech, but he found a worthy adversary.

In the second half, Chelsea started to ask more questions with Demba Ba giving Vorm something to think about with a stinging drive from 20 yards which the Dutchman just managed to claw wide.

It will be two points dropped in the eyes of the Chelsea manager though as his side struggled to keep up their good form.

Sam Illyroy said:
It's frustrating because of the good performances we've put in of late and I really think that we should be winning this sort of game at home. But full credit to Swansea who really gave it a good go and they were worthy of a point.

View attachment 321029View attachment 321030

haha indeed, I don't know where that came from. Blasted home a free kick from 25 yards, I was stunned. Yeah we're playing well now so just about keeping that momentum going :D

Chelsea v. Watford
Capital One Cup, Fourth Round
320955d1353759017t-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-capital-one-cup.jpg

KEY PLAYER - MATEJ VYDRA (16 Apps, 10 goals)
View attachment 321031
The young Czech is on loan from the Pozzo's Italian side Udinese, and he is in lethal form in the Championship with 10 goals in his opening 16 games. Could cause Chelsea problems if they allow him time in the box because he is a natural goalscorer.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea are still without Paulo Ferreira but Ramires could feature. Gary Cahill is expected to be rested for the fixture.

Watford are without Nathanial Chalobah who is ineligible against his parent club whilst Filip Sebo, Cristian Battochio, Jack Robinson, Neuton, John Eustace and Jordan Bowery make up a long list of injured players for the Championship side.

MATCH PREVIEW

Chelsea come into this game having beaten Arsenal 2-0 in the last round, whilst Watford saw off Torquay, Charlton and most recently, Newcastle United. Gianfranco Zola, Watford's manager, returns to the ground where he spent a number of happy years and is adored in these parts, so expect some rapturous applause for him. The Chelsea manager is focused on business ahead of sentiment though.

Sam Illyroy said:
I look forward to seeing Gianfranco but as soon as that whistle is blown it's business as usual. We need to stay calm and play the football we know we can and I'm sure we'll get the victory.

Capital One Cup, Fourth Round
Stamford Bridge, London

CHELSEA00WATFORDView attachment 321038

Chelsea win 4-3 on penalties
1-21-2013_155531_l_akb.jpg

Lampard buries the winning penalty to send Chelsea through.

Chelsea needed penalties to see off their Championship opponents this afternoon as they went a second game without scoring thanks to some top saves by former Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia. Lampard stepped up to score the winning penalty after two fine saves from stand in keeper Ross Turnbull.

Chelsea put out a changed side from that which drew with Swansea at the weekend, with Moses, Benayoun, Torres and 18 year old Nathan Ake coming in to the side, and it showed in a disjointed first half display.

Benayoun was Chelsea's biggest threat as he cut some nice passes through for Fernando Torres and the Spaniard had a couple of chances in the first half only to be denied by Almunia.

Up the other end, Watford were having some joy on the counter attack with Vydra their main threat and he was denied brilliantly by an on-rushing Ross Turnbull to keep Chelsea in the game.

Into extra-time, Chelsea had corner after corner but were unable to force the win so it went to penalties. Despite Eden Hazard missing their first, Ross Turnbull denied Geijo and Abdi to give Lampard the chance to send Chelsea through which the captain for the day did with aplomb.

Sam Illyroy said:
Well first of all, we're through which is the most important thing, but it was nowhere near our best today and I'm not best pleased. We'll have to improve in the next couple of games.

View attachment 321081

OCTOBER REVIEW
320561d1363684046t-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelseafc-logo-420x200.jpg

7 matches over the course of this month sees Chelsea through to the 5th Round of the Capital One Cup, top of their Champions League group and 2nd in the league table. All things considered it has been good with some excellent performances against the likes of Manchester United and Sunderland, setting us up well for a tough November. The manager was philosophical going into the winter months.

Sam Illyroy said:
I've been pleased with our form so far this season but this is the acid test now. November, December and January are critical stages of the season and if we can navigate our way through these months without too many injuries then I back us to finish well.
October has been good for us and I look back with immense pride at that result against Manchester United and our performances in the league in general. I hope we can continue that in the coming month.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH FOR OCTOBER
View attachment 321083
JOHN OBI MIKEL
Mikel will be a big miss when he leaves for the African Cup of Nations as he has become a bedrock for Chelsea. Some excellent midfield displays have finally been combined with goalscoring which only bodes well for the Blues.

TOP GOALSCORERS ALL COMPETITIONS
Ramires (4 goals)
Demba Ba, Eden Hazard, John Obi Mikel (3 goals)
David Luiz, Frank Lampard, Fernando Torres (2 goals)

NOVEMBER PREVIEW
November brings with it three league derbies against West Ham, QPR and Arsenal, and Chelsea will also close in on the last group match of the Champions League. 7 more matches will once again test the strength of this Chelsea squad and their fitness.

Seems Benayouns doing pretty decent for you. I have never given him a chance usually sell him straight away when I start Chelsea saves but does not seem like a bad player on you're game tbh.

CHELSEA TO PLAY MANCHESTER CITY OR WEST BROM IN CAPITAL ONE CUP QUARTER-FINAL
View attachment 321085View attachment 321086

Chelsea's reward for beating Watford in the 4th Round of the League Cup is a trip to either the Etihad or the Hawthorns to fight for a semi-final clash in January. The two play each other this week to decide but the Chelsea manager said that he would like to see his loan star see off Manchester City.

Sam Illyroy said:
As Champions of England, Manchester City obviously pose the bigger threat and we're hoping Romelu can do us a favour and knock them out of the competition! But in all seriousness, we are ready for whoever we play against - if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best!

well he's not in my best XI but he's a very useful player to have on the bench because he always puts in a decent shift and he's popped up with a goal and a couple of assists so I'll let him see off his contract! great squad player with the amount of games I'm playing.

Stoke City v. Chelsea
Premier League Matchday 10, Britannia Stadium

KEY PLAYER - PETER CROUCH (9 Apps, 2 goals)
View attachment 321087
Peter Crouch is still hopeful of getting a place in the England squad and he's done his chances no harm with performances this season, bagging 2 goals and proving a general nuisance to opposition defences. Chelsea will have to be alert to stop him this afternoon.

TEAM NEWS

Paulo Ferreira is still recovering but is back in full training. Other than that, it's a full squad for Chelsea.

Stoke on the other hand are without Brek Shea, Jonathon Walters, Steven N'Zonzi, Kenwyne Jones and Michael Owen through injury, leaving them fairly short staffed.

MATCH PREVIEW

An away trip to Stoke is always a date for the diary, and Chelsea can be sure of a really tough game tonight. The manager is expected to start with Demba Ba up front to cope with the defensive physicality of Stoke but should Chelsea get to grips with that then they shouldn't have problems seeing off this mid-table side. With Tottenham going top after the last group of games, the Blues need to get back to winning ways and quickly.

Sam Illyroy said:
We won't shy away from the fact we need a victory today and we'll be going all out to get it. Stoke is a really tough place to go but we have a plan to combat their physicality.

Premier League Matchday 10
Britannia Stadium, Stoke

View attachment 321100STOKE11CHELSEA
Cech o.g. (90)

Ramires (26)

Juventus-v-Chelsea-Petr-Cech_2863894.jpg

Cech's last minute fumble of Whitehead's shot saw Chelsea drop 2 vital points.

Chelsea looked to have secured a vital away victory at Stoke this evening only for Whitehead's last minute shot to go in via the post and Cech to ****** an unlikely point. Ramires had given Chelsea a deserved lead in the first half but the Blues then took their foot off the gas.

Chelsea stormed into the first half with Oscar, Hazard and Mata causing numerous problems for the Stoke defenders. Oscar put in his best performance to date but it was Juan Mata who set up Ramires early on to give Chelsea the lead.

Chelsea looked to move on from there in the second half but with just 10 minutes gone Shawcross' wild lunge saw Demba Ba crippled and he had to be replaced by Fernando Torres. The Spaniard soon had a chance to double the advantage but was denied by Asmir Begovic.

With the game drawing to an end, Chelsea seemed to be settling for the 1-0 but Stoke pressed harder, as Michael Kightly struck the bar when through on goal.

The goal eventually came in the third minute of stoppage time when Kightly's hopeful ball found Whitehead at the back post and he struck the ball goalwards only for Cech to parry it onto the post and then back in off himself. A nightmare for the big Czech as Chelsea drop points in the title race.

Sam Illyroy said:
It's not a disaster but to come so close to victory only to lose it to a long ball like that is very dissapointing, especially as we had coped so well up until that point. We're also very dissapointed with Shawcross' challenge on Demba Ba and can only hope it isn't as bad as it looked.

View attachment 321101View attachment 321102

DEMBA BA OUT FOR 2 MONTHS WITH TOE INJURY
3672021514.jpg

Following Ryan Shawcross' poor challenge in the game on Saturday, Chelsea medical staff have confirmed that Demba Ba has suffered multiple broken toes, meaning he will be out of action for the next two months, potentially ruling him out of the Club World Cup. Chelsea's manager was not pleased:

Sam Illyroy said:
It's a bitter blow to our chances. Demba has been brilliant for us so far this season and we don't have too many more options to come in for him. We're very unhappy with the challenge and we look to the FA to take some retrospective action. In the mean time Milan Lalkovic will join the first team set up for the time being as his replacement.

Chelsea v. BATE Borisov
UEFA Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 4
uefa_champions_league.jpg

KEY PLAYER - PAVEL NIAKHAIYCHIK (27 Apps, 5 goals)
320981d1363778798t-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-1405102a238.jpg

Once again, BATE's key threat. The winger was subdued in the last game but will be hoping to cause more problems this time around. Chelsea will have Azpilicueta at right back for today's game and he will be in for a stern test.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea are without Demba Ba for the next two months but he is the only player missing for this game.

BATE have a clean bill of health.

MATCH PREVIEW

Chelsea can move a big step towards qualification for the knockout stages of this competition with a win tonight. Following their dissapointing draw with Stoke at the weekend, they will be looking to go all out for the win but Demba Ba could prove a big loss. The manager is keen to stress the opportunity provided for Fernando Torres.

Sam Illyroy said:
Fernando has struggled at the start of this season but this his chance now, he will get a decent run of games and if he starts getting the goals then we won't even notice the loss of Demba. I hope he can start that tonight.

Torres chance to bag a lot of goals now with Demba out lets hope he takes it!