Choosing A Levels

• Thread starter Thread starter CalumE5
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 4K
My college offers a pure accountancy course, do you have one like that maybe? Would definetly be useful to finances :)

No, we don't, but that would definitely interest me. As well as the 4 I mentioned originally, I'm considering Economics and Physics, but our first choices are due in Friday, but not confirmed until March!

If Business Studies is anything like Higher Business Management in Scotland, then I'd advise you not to touch it with a bargepole. Make sure you pick reputable subjects for you A-Levels.

I'm in Scotland, so I'm doing Advanced Highers, but I think they're pretty similar to A-Levels. I've applied to study Maths, and I've taken Maths, Applied Maths (Statistics) and Geography (**** knows why, it's horribly irrelevant for what I want to do) as my Advanced Highers. Doing 2 types of Maths was necessary for me to apply to English universities as they look for Maths and then another Maths course. Check out some entry requirements to get a better understanding of what universities are looking for.

Don't do politics at A-level. Try to stick to base subjects like Physics, Maths, English etc. Universities prefer these subjects in comparison to Politics, Business Studies, Accounting.

If you want to go into finance your probably best doing:
Further Maths
Phsyics
(Whatever, I'm guessing you like History)

Also if you're really looking to go into finance, doing a degree in Mechanical Engineering may be an option you would like to look into, employers love people with engineering degrees, especially finance employers.

What if I was to take the ones I mentioned, but then drop Politics for A2? Would that "work" so to speak?

No, we don't, but that would definitely interest me. As well as the 4 I mentioned originally, I'm considering Economics and Physics, but our first choices are due in Friday, but not confirmed until March!

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

Then drop Economics/Physics at the end of Y12 imo. Or History over Economics if you really like History. Physics is a far more interesting and challenging course at A-level than GCSE as well, especially the Quantum unit. :D

First of all which Unis are you looking at going to? The only ones that really care what subjects you do are the ones that want AAB etc.

Business studies, accounting and the like may be regarded as mickey mouse subjects but if they are relevant to what you want to do at Uni then it doesn't matter, the unis will still look at your application and depending on your grades at AS level, they will give you an offer.

Maths is a given if you want to do financing of some sort, accounting may also help you with this. Maybe do accounting for AS to pick up some UCAS points, the more of these you get the better and 50 or 60 from your first year wouldn't go unnoticed.

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

Then drop Economics/Physics at the end of Y12 imo. Or History over Economics if you really like History. Physics is a far more interesting and challenging course at A-level than GCSE as well, especially the Quantum unit. :D

So what does the physics course involve? Would I enjoy it considering it isn't my best/favourite subject? I kind of want to be persuaded into doing it because it goes well with Maths.

I think Politics is a definite for me, to AS level at least, because I need to develop more self-confidence and the debates would be a good way to do it, plus I enjoy politics as a whole, and I'm told it is generally quite an academic course.

What if I was to take the ones I mentioned, but then drop Politics for A2? Would that "work" so to speak?
Yeah it would, a science along with your Maths would be optimize your chances though. Physics is hard though, so if your not interested in it, its not worth doing. Maths is the main thing for finance and they'll love you with a further maths A-level.

First of all which Unis are you looking at going to? The only ones that really care what subjects you do are the ones that want AAB etc.

Business studies, accounting and the like may be regarded as mickey mouse subjects but if they are relevant to what you want to do at Uni then it doesn't matter, the unis will still look at your application and depending on your grades at AS level, they will give you an offer.

Maths is a given if you want to do financing of some sort, accounting may also help you with this. Maybe do accounting for AS to pick up some UCAS points, the more of these you get the better and 50 or 60 from your first year wouldn't go unnoticed.

I'm pretty clever, so my top options currently are Durham, Nottingham and Manchester, with a Cambridge place a long shot but my maths teacher says I shouldn't rule it out. I think I'd be doing a Maths course at university, as it leaves more options open.

Accountancy isn't offered at my school, but in terms of politics, although irrelevant, is that seen as a Mickey Mouse subject?

History is a great course if you know your stuff.

Do not do Business Studies though as it is seen as a doss course. If you a serious, choose Economics over it. All Business Studies has offered me so far is eternal boredom.

Personally I don't see any A level as a mickey mouse subject. If you've got the mental capacity to study 4 A levels, **** even 3, you're doing something right. But then again I'm not a uni haha.

If you're looking for Oxbridge then id imagine you need to pick proper academic subjects if you want them to take your application seriously. Maths and further maths are a definite - you could even try to do your maths A level in one year, leaving you to finish off further maths in A2. My friend did that and he's at Durham now studying Law, finished his A levels with AAAB. Not bad, eh?

Physics will help with your Maths, and a science a level is always held with very high regard no matter what you want to study at Uni. It's worth having a look online at prospectuses for your desired universities, see what they want you to have.

ICT could be an option, it would be useful because most things to do with finance etc are done online now, i think :S

But note to everyone dont do Allied ICT, to put it simply i has ****** my life up :'(

Maths and further maths are a definite - you could even try to do your maths A level in one year, leaving you to finish off further maths in A2.
I may be wrong, but I think that's just how Further Maths works. You fast track your Maths A-level in the first year, then do your Further Maths A-level in the second year. That's how we did it in my sixth form anyway..

So what does the physics course involve? Would I enjoy it considering it isn't my best/favourite subject? I kind of want to be persuaded into doing it because it goes well with Maths.

I think Politics is a definite for me, to AS level at least, because I need to develop more self-confidence and the debates would be a good way to do it, plus I enjoy politics as a whole, and I'm told it is generally quite an academic course.

The AS year for me was Quantum phenomena and Electricity for Unit 1, and then Unit 2 was Mechanics and Waves. Electricity was really boring for me, but the other 3 were really interesting.

I'd say you may well enjoy it, there are many in my class who don't particularly care for Physics compared to Maths, but they still excel in it due to the strong mathematical links, and I think the problem solving aspect is enjoyable in the same way the Maths part is.

I actually find it better than Maths, since Maths you are working in theory and the problems you solve don't necessarily apply to a situation, but the Maths covered in Physics are all real world problems and solutions, and it's more satisfying to solve a problem and realise the effects that there are in the real world.

The most interesting parts for me were the modules such as particles, including working out the motion and energy levels of them, the photoelectric effect; where matter emits electrons as they absorb energy, depending on the energy they absorb they release electrons with a specific wavelength and colour. And also the De Broglie wavelength/wave-particle duality, where every particle has wave like properties and every wave has particle like properties, for instance at a high enough velocity a cricket ball could diffract through the wicket without moving the wicket!

Warwick and Lancaster are meant to be reasonably good for maths according to the guardian, and Imperial is obviously excellent for it. Bristol's good too.

I'd take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then possibly another science subject if you're looking to get into Cambridge.

yeah if u are interested in Politics then go for it, rather do something u like than suffer, but I strongly recommend Physics, in my school its compulsory to take atleast one Science for ur A Level which is ******* but I already got a good idea what subjects I plan to take for A Levels according to which I have dropped a few GCSE Subjects:

Physics
Maths
Further Maths
Economics

I plan to study Economics and I heard that loads of Uni's who offer Econs value Physics, Physics is a pretty diverse subject, it holds value in many fields such as Engineering etc. too thats why it is highly recommended everywhere​

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

The AS year for me was Quantum phenomena and Electricity for Unit 1, and then Unit 2 was Mechanics and Waves. Electricity was really boring for me, but the other 3 were really interesting.

I'd say you may well enjoy it, there are many in my class who don't particularly care for Physics compared to Maths, but they still excel in it due to the strong mathematical links, and I think the problem solving aspect is enjoyable in the same way the Maths part is.

I actually find it better than Maths, since Maths you are working in theory and the problems you solve don't necessarily apply to a situation, but the Maths covered in Physics are all real world problems and solutions, and it's more satisfying to solve a problem and realise the effects that there are in the real world.

The most interesting parts for me were the modules such as particles, including working out the motion and energy levels of them, the photoelectric effect; where matter emits electrons as they absorb energy, depending on the energy they absorb they release electrons with a specific wavelength and colour. And also the De Broglie wavelength/wave-particle duality, where every particle has wave like properties and every wave has particle like properties, for instance at a high enough velocity a cricket ball could diffract through the wicket without moving the wicket!

haha seems really interesting, I am pretty much a Physics Geek and I love anything that involves Maths and numbers and stuff so will definetly take Physics for A Levels

I'm in the same boat.
Thinking of:
History
Goverment & Politics
Sociology
Media

Went for an open evening at the best college around, the other day. Need mostly A's and B's, but my targets are all A's, muhahah :P

Sociology and Media are two of my favourite lessons !!!

Sociology is great cause you can slag off the chav's etc ! And our field trip will involve going to a prison and asking criminals why they committed the crime :P

Sociology and Media are two of my favourite lessons !!!

Sociology is great cause you can slag off the chav's etc ! And our field trip will involve going to a prison and asking criminals why they committed the crime :P

seems interesting, what else does Sociology involve, is it basically like examining different groups of people and stuff like that?

Physics is my 5th choice at the moment, but I've been told you should only really take it if you are really into physics, which I'm not to be honest.

Accountancy/Maths/Acturial Science are the top 3, but Maths would be better generally. My reasoning behind politics is that a lot of teachers say I'm quite which could be a problem when applying to top universities, so it would consist largely of debating and help me speak out more. I shall have a look though. Plus, there's a trip to Washington DC on politics :P

I'm doing a maths related degree (Computer Science with Maths) at Leeds University, after doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing at A Level. I would say that doing both Maths and Further is a good idea if you intend to do maths of some kind at university since it is good preparation for doing maths at degree level (keep in mind that good universities tend to demand at least an A in maths at A level for maths courses, and some grade in A level maths for maths-related courses).

Economics is also one of the best subjects you can take imo, since it provides a great insight and understanding into the majority of decisions our government takes, which is a pretty invaluable skill to have.

seems interesting, what else does Sociology involve, is it basically like examining different groups of people and stuff like that?

Basically yeah, I could give you more information through pm if you want as right now I cbf to type loads of stuff :)

Back