Choosing A Levels

• Thread starter Thread starter CalumE5
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 4K
Well thanks for all the advice so far everyone, I think it has changed my mind a little bit, thinking now of going with:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Politics

Economics is now my 5th choice, seem to have discarded History now!

You took 5 AS levels? What's the workload like? And I do have an interest in politics, stayed up til 4am on election night and even wrote my own manifesto :L

Not an overload of work. Media is mainly editing my footage atm. ICT is all about creating a site, makng databases and stuff like that so not too much. The others take up alot of time though.

Not an overload of work. Media is mainly editing my footage atm. ICT is all about creating a site, makng databases and stuff like that so not too much. The others take up alot of time though.

BTEC or AS ????

Got open day tomorrow at the sixth form i'm most likely to go to.

Thinking of..

Media
English
ICT
Psychology
Geography
Philisophy.

not sure yet, will have a look tomorrow.

I never realised people put so much thought into this sort of thing, I remember just turning up to the college one day and just picking my subjects then and there.

I never realised people put so much thought into this sort of thing, I remember just turning up to the college one day and just picking my subjects then and there.

Good to see I wasn't the one one !

I got a booklet from the college a week after finishing my GCSEs. Read through it, chose my subject, and travelled to college and enrolled. Simples.

Got open day tomorrow at the sixth form i'm most likely to go to.

Thinking of..

Media
English
ICT
Psychology
Geography
Philisophy.

not sure yet, will have a look tomorrow.

I'm guessing this is like your shortlist, 6 lessons?!?! :P
Philosophy is just like RE, isn't it?

Sociology and Media are two of my favourite lessons !!!

Sociology is great cause you can slag off the chav's etc ! And our field trip will involve going to a prison and asking criminals why they committed the crime :P

Yeah, when I went to the College's open evening this woman really got me interested in it, and since I'm such an opinionated person... :p
Plus my sister got A* in it, and my cousin's in Uni doing it :D

Plus, on the open evening...There were SO MANY sexy girls, like no chavs...I like, creamed... Now I want to go there, so badly. :@

Got to apply soon, most of my mates have had their interviews, I'm thinking of taking something along the lines of IT, a sport course to help me out when I do a coaching course in a few years, and something like Maths, but just the number side of it, like adding etc, not **** like algebra.

Anything science related. Much easier to get a job if you've got a degree from uni that's science related, and choosing A level subjects to take you in that direction is a pretty good choice.

I

Plus, on the open evening...There were SO MANY sexy girls, like no chavs...I like, creamed... Now I want to go there, so badly. :@

My teacher is a legend, he really makes it interesting / funny. He rips the **** out of the chavs who left last year and will sometimes randomly blurt out their chavvy little sayings. Sociology ftw ! :wub:

Im in Year 11 aswell and have nearly made my decision:

Applied Business or Business studies
Economics
Sociology
Histroy

Got to apply soon, most of my mates have had their interviews, I'm thinking of taking something along the lines of IT, a sport course to help me out when I do a coaching course in a few years, and something like Maths, but just the number side of it, like adding etc, not **** like algebra.

A-level Maths is all Algebra pretty much, unless you're planning on some GCSE level numeracy course?

A-level Maths is all Algebra pretty much, unless you're planning on some GCSE level numeracy course?

Yeah there's no getting away from Algebra completely but if you fancy something different try and do Discrete (Decision) Mathematics if you have the option.

I actually enjoyed that in college. Game Theory, algorithms, probability etc. :wub:

Yeah there's no getting away from Algebra completely but if you fancy something different try and do Discrete (Decision) Mathematics if you have the option.

I actually enjoyed that in college. Game Theory, algorithms, probability etc. :wub:

Decision has to be my least favourite unit from all my courses at college, i'd prefer it with things like game theory, but afaik that's all in Statistics.

Im in Year 11 aswell and have nearly made my decision:

Applied Business or Business studies
Economics
Sociology
Histroy

If you're wanting to get into a uni and you really want to do business, I'd go with business studies over applied, as applied is meant to be less academic or something. It's also more coursework based though so if you want a break from exams that's the one for you.

Back