Chris Ball - The European Journeyman

1609430153430.png

April 2024

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 40

SP Espinho vs Vilafranquense
Formation; 4-1-2-3 Wide, Mentality; Attacking
Lineup; E.Esteves, Maga, R.Correia, J.Silva, F.Vieira, D.Franzel, A.Ceitil, P.Estrela, J.Tome, A.Dias, D.Luis* (M.Tavares 83)

espinho.jpg

An emphatic victory over 3rd placed Espinho as we absolutely battered them and showed once again just how far ahead of the competition we are in this division!

And with that win, we are crowned champions of the Portuguese Third Division as I lift my 2nd league title in 4 years!

lifting title.jpg

With promotion secured, the board announce the budgets for next season, with a wage budget that has more than doubled!

budgets.jpg

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 41
Vilafranquense vs Louletano

Lineup; E.Esteves, Maga, R.Correia, J.Silva (P.Pinto 59), F.Vieira, D.Franzel, A.Ceitil*, P.Estrela, J.Tome, A.Dias, D.Luis (M.Tavares 59)

louletano.jpg

With the title in the bag, I was keen to just keep the lads focused as I really want that unbeaten season now! They listened to me pre-game pleas and duly delivered the win I wanted. A professional performance!

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 42
Marinhense vs Vilafranquense

Lineup; G.Filipe, Maga, P.Pinto, J.Silva, F.Vieira, D.Franzel*, A.Ceitil, A.Vieira, J.Tome, N.Reis, M.Tavares

marinhense.jpg

Well we made hard work of that against the club propping up the division! Only a penalty gave us the win in a surprisingly tight game!

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 43
Vilafranquense vs Uniao de Leiria

Lineup; G.Filipe, Maga, P.Pinto, J.Silva, F.Vieira*, D.Franzel, A.Ceitil (R.Sousa 70), A.Vieira, J.Tome (D.Luis 70), N.Reis, M.Tavares

uniao.jpg

Danilo Luis came off the bench to score the only goal of the game. That’s his 13th goal in 15 games for us since joining on loan mid way through the season! What an addition he’s been to the first team!

It’s all about keeping that unbeaten record now for the whole season! Three games to go to achieve an invincibles campaign!!

league april.jpg

Player of the Month
Felipe Vieira (Form; 6.8, 7.2, 7.3, 7.7)

A good, solid month from my left back who has improved with each performance. In fact he is one of the most improved players in the squad throughout this season!

vieira.jpg

All three of these sides will want to be the ones to stop us in our quest to go the entire season unbeaten, and all three have the capability to cause an upset on their day, so we need to be at the top of our game for just 3 more matches!

may.jpg

1609506797255.png

May 2024

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 44

Benfica e Castelo Branco vs Vilafranquense
Lineup; G.Filipe, Maga, P.Pinto, J.Silva, F.Vieira, D.Franzel, A.Ceitil, A.Vieira, D.Luis, N.Reis, M.Tavares

benfica.jpg

The fact that their keeper got man of the match despite conceding 3 goals should show exactly how dominant we really were in this game. A lot more so than I expected us to be if I’m honest! 1 down, 2 to go!

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 45
Vilafranquense vs Vitoria de Guimaraes B

Lineup; G.Filipe, R.Matos, R.Correia, J.Silva, F.Vieira, A.Ceitil, R.Sousa*, P.Estrela (A.Vieira 58), J.Tome, A.Dias, M.Tavares

vitoria.jpg

Vitoria’s 2nd string are sitting 6th in the division and definitely had the potential to upset the applecart here! However, I’m glad to say they didn’t and we are now just 1 game away from completing an unbeaten league campaign!

Another coaching course for me as I begin my Continental B License!

coaching badge.jpg

Portuguese Third Division – Matchday 46
Sporting Covilha vs Vilafranquense
Lineup; G.Filipe, R.Matos, R.Correia, J.Silva, F.Vieira, A.Ceitil, R.Sousa*, P.Estrela (A.Vieira 58), J.Tome, A.Dias (N.Reis 67), M.Tavares (D.Luis 67)

covilha.jpg

For the first time in a long time, we actually weren’t the better side in this game and were possibly lucky to come away with a draw!

And you know what that means…

invincibles.jpg

An incredible season comes to an end with us winning 35 and drawing 11 of our 46 games!! I think this is the most impressive and successful season I have ever managed on any version of FM ever! No broken tactics, no dodgy signings….genuinely all my own hard work, tactical setups, opposition instructions, team talks and that gives me an extreme amount of pleasure and a massive sense of achievement!

final table.jpg

Nice to get a bit of recognition from one of my best players as well.

reis praise.jpg

Season Review 2023/24

All of the new arrivals played key roles in our title win! Danilo Luis turned out to be a pretty immense addition mid season and scored 13 goals in 17 appearances!! Paulo Estrela has easily become one of my favourite players and he made it to double figures on the assists front from his central midfield berth.

new arrivals.jpg

Again I can’t stress strongly enough how much of an amazing season it has been. Ultra consistent throughout and that unbeaten record will probably never be achieved again in this division!

season to remember.jpg

An impressive 7-0 victory over Sao Joao de Ver was our biggest of the season!

matches to remember.jpg

Finances were sorted with the sale of Antonio Lima this year and we managed to get ourselves out of the red with that piece of business. As far as the rest of the income, it was there or thereabouts with last season.

finances.jpg

Some really impressive performances all round this year from my favoured first eleven. Seven players maintained average ratings above 7.0, whilst Tavares finished up as top scorer with 18, but even more impressive was Joao Tome’s 22 assists from his advanced playmaker role in the right side of the pitch!

best team.jpg

Joao Tome’s efforts were recognised by the fans who gave him their player of the season award, whilst he also lifted the young player award too. Pleased to see one of my favourites, Estrela, picking up the signing of the season!

awards.jpg

I’ve won the players over now! To be honest, I’d be pretty p1ssed if I hadn’t!

dynamics.jpg

My old club Brechin City, survived relegation from the Scottish League One by the thinnest of margins.

brechin league.jpg

Excellent season. With the coaching badges got to be looking at bigger jobs again soon

I've just signed a new deal to stay here for at least another season and see how we fare at the higher level. After an unbeaten campaign in the third tier, we have to believe we can compete again at this level surely.

To everyone following this story, just wanted to say a huge thanks....I appreciate your support and time you take to keep up with my adventure! Just to let you all know that my writing style will change very slightly moving forward as I am finding it extremely time consuming to provide a match report for every single game and some of what I write, I fear may become repetitive. So the one change I'm going to make is to group together some match reports etc....rather than reporting on every single game. Naturally, some games will still get special attention. What this also means is that my posts won't necessarily be on a month by month basis either and will instead, just have a date stamp on them as the title of each post. Hope this is OK with everyone following this and doesn't put you off continuing to read.

1609513080641.png

1st June - 1st August 2024

The board announced their expectations for the upcoming season and naturally, they only expect me to keep us in the division after coming up last year. We will take part in the Allianz Cup this year, but are only expected to be competitive, but they do expect a bit of a run in the Taca de Portugal Placard, which might depend on who we draw in the early rounds.

expectations.jpg

A couple of players that had featured heavily over the past couple of years depart the club. Maga wasn’t interested in signing a new deal as he felt he needed a new challenge, whilst striker Marius Mouandilmadji copped the ump after a lack of first team football and was moved on. A few youngsters have gone out on loan to assist with their development. Joao Silva has been a massive part of my defensive line over the past 2 years, but couldn’t be persuaded to sign a new deal either and he left the club at the end of his contract.

transfers out.jpg

Now the first thing I needed to do on the incoming transfers side, was to keep hold of the players that had been brilliant for me on loan last year. Unfortunately though, Danilo Luis and Renato Matos weren’t interested in playing another season for us and felt they were good enough to compete for a place at their own clubs. On the plus side though, I did manage to renew loan deals for both Martim Tavares and Rui Correia.

tavares.jpg

correia.jpg

Incoming Loan; Rodrigo Correia (GK)
Signed From; Sporting, Monthly Fee; £0, Salary Contribution; £0

Also joining us on loan for the season is young keeper, Rodrigo Correia, who comes in from senior affiliate, Sporting! He will fill the number 1 slot between the sticks this season. I had tried to bring back Antonio Lima from Benfica on loan, but they weren’t willing to let him come to us (even though he seems to be their 3rd or 4th choice keeper!

correia keeper.jpg

Incoming Loan; German Meneses (CB)
Signed From; SC Braga, Monthly Fee; £0, Salary Contribution; £2.8k p/w

The next thing I needed to address was the signing of a key centre back and German Meneses is the man who comes in the fill the void left by the departure of Joao Silva. He’s costing us a fair wedge in wages, but should be well worth it in this division with the attributes he has to offer! Meneses actually played 28 times in the Liga NOS last year on loan for Belenenses SAD, so has plenty of experience at a higher level and is a massive coup for us!

meneses.jpg

Unfortunately, Edgar Davids leaves us after just one season on the coaching staff, as he is offered an Assistant Manager role with Nurnberg. We did get a nice £52k compensation package for him though!

davids leaves.jpg

On the plus side, the club managed to tie me down for another couple of years, with a pay rise to nearly £4k p/w for me. My earnings have improved significantly since the £400 p/w I started on at Brechin.

new contract.jpg

We drew another team from the Portuguese second tier in the first phase of the Allianz Cup.

allianz cup draw.jpg

And in preparation for that, we had 4 friendlies which went pretty well, with a well earned draw against La Liga side, UD Las Palmas, being the highlight.

friendlies.jpg

The first phase of the Allianz Cup gave us an opportunity to test ourselves against another team in the same division as us and the game went to pens after a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes!

draw allianz cup.jpg

It was 5-4 to them after 9 perfect penalties and time for Almeida to step up to keep us in the tie...

almeida scores.jpg

Which he did as he slotted past the keeper with confidence to take us to sudden death. Five more penalties were tucked away before Yuri Adorjan missed his, striking straight down the middle at their keeper.

penalty shootout.jpg

The pressure got to the youngster who at the age of 16, can’t be blamed, as he was only playing due to a shortage of defenders available to me for this game. He had to come off the bench as Pedro Pinto picked up an injury during the 2nd half.

adorjan.jpg

In all fairness, the match should never have even reach penalties when you look at these stats. It’s actually quite hard to believe we are out of the competition after such a dominant showing…

match stats.jpg

To help me get over our cup exit, I signed the club's new best player!

mendes.jpg

I snapped up Papou Mendes who immediately becomes the highest paid player! He is a central midfielder who was released by Lille in the Summer (so joins us on a free) and he has to be seen as an immense signing for us and could control the middle of the park in games for us this season! And if he turns out to be a flop, we can at least make half a million quid on him I reckon!

1609546175329.png

2nd August – 16th September 2024

I still didn’t have a recognised right back in the squad, with the season just around the corner, so I quickly added two to the team.

tavares.jpg

bandarra.jpg

Goncalo Tavares comes in from Cova de Piedade for a fee of £105k as I spend majority of my transfer budget. He looks decent enough though and should prove to be worth the outlay! Meanwhile, Miguel Bandarra comes in on a free after being released by CD Tondela in the Summer and he can definitely push tavares for his spot in the starting eleven. Just like that, I’ve sorted the main problem position I had on the field.

I was offered the opportunity to join Estoril, taking over a side in the top tier of Portuguese football.

estoril offer.jpg

But what’s this…

talks broken down.jpg

I contemplated it for a long time, weighing up my options but decided the timing just wasn’t right. I’d have to go straight in and play my first game on my first day in charge, no time to get my squad to gel or used to my tactics and with a side that are predicted to struggle and finish plum last in the division, I didn’t fancy it. They only offered me a very small increase on my current salary too. I think if I can make a have a good first few months of the new season with Vilafranquense, then with my new coaching badge as well, I feel like there will be bigger opportunities than this one later this season.

Season ticket sales have doubled on last year with our promotion!

season tickets.jpg

Let’s have a look at this season’s preview. Despite only being promoted last year, we are still predicted to finish in the top half of the table this season and are only 16/1 to win back to back titles. On loan centre back, Rui Correia is once again in the media dream 11!

preview.jpg

Our first league game in the 2nd tier ends in a bore draw against a side predicted to finish just above us in the division. Not a bad way to start the season I guess.

mafra game.jpg

Although it was a shocking result when you consider how much we dominated the game!

mafra stats.jpg

Three wins and a draw followed including a massive 5-1 victory over one of our fiercest rivals, Alverca, which will have sent the fans home happy!

4 games after 1st.jpg

The fans aren’t the only ones that are happy after our positive start to the new campaign.

board happy.jpg

Transfer deadline day had arrived and I still only had one real striker in the first team in Martim Tavares. I was off hunting for a new front man to bring in!

1609546865405.png

The man I turned to was 22 year old, Andre Liberal, who joins for a fee of £58k from Liga NOS side, GD Chaves. He played 15 times for them in the top tier last year, scoring 3 goals, and I’m hoping he can produce a few more down in the 2nd tier as hopefully he’ll find this more his level.

liberal.jpg

We draw lower league opposition in Lank FC Vilaverdense in the Taca de Portugal Placard, and it should be an easy path through to the 3rd round.

cup draw.jpg

Next up we played the side that were apparently 1-91 on to win this league….must be a glitch in the game that!

clara odds.jpg

But we made light work of them!

cd santa clara.jpg

Which leaves us top of the league after a 6 game unbeaten start! Best attack and best defence in the league so far.

league.jpg

Martim Tavares has taken to this league like a duck to water with 5 goals in 6 games!

tavares form.jpg

1609615596450.png

17th September – 2nd December 2024

Another league win followed by progression in the cup after a comfortable win over our lower league opponents.

2 wins.jpg

Which came even after making 8 changes to the starting lineup as I rotated the squad.

8 changes for cup match.jpg

A tough draw for us against Liga NOS opposition in the next round, although we do have home advantage so we’ll fancy ourselves to give them a game!

cup draw.jpg

Then the unthinkable happened…

unbeaten run ends.jpg

Yep, our 48 game unbeaten run in all competitive competitions since 1st October 2023, comes to an end at the hands of UD Oliveirense!

oliveirense loss.jpg

We had 15 days before our cup tie with Rio Ave to get over that feeling of defeat! And in a cup game where everyone though we’d get trounced, we actually did ourselves proud taking the top tier side all the way to penalties. We lost the shootout but there was no shame in this performance!

rio ave.jpg

Stoke City are currently struggling in the English Championship and have recently parted ways with manager, Paul Clement. I threw my hat in the ring, not expecting an interview, but the board have agreed to give me the opportunity to speak to them.

stoke interview.jpg

I also take a short trip over to Spain for an interview for the vacant managerial role at CD Tenerife who are currently lying 17th in the La Liga Smartbank (Segunda Division).

tenerife interview.jpg

The Stoke job went to Eddie Howe!

stoke hire howe.jpg

Whilst I didn’t get the Tenerife job either! Ah I remember that sweet old smell of rejection.

tenerife rejection.jpg

In all honesty though, I’m not desperate to leave my current role and am enjoying life at Vilafranquense, but I will keep an eye on jobs of interest that might give me a significant step up. And now I have a Continental B License, I might be taken a little more seriously too.

coaching badge.jpg

And I immediately get to work on my A license, after convincing the board to fund it for me. It’ll be a whole year until I’ve completed this one though.

continental a license.jpg

The Huddersfield job comes up which is also of interest, so I throw over my CV. Within only hours I’m requested to attend an interview.

hudders interview.jpg

The urgency around the situation has drawn some interest from the media, although I’m apparently only an outsider for the job.

huddersfield media.jpg

But the fans want me!

hudders fans.jpg

And it appears the board do too as I am offered the job, which would more than double my current salary!

job offer.jpg

In amongst all those interviews, it’s worth noting that I had recorded another 3 wins and a draw in the league.

4 league games.jpg

Which means that if I take the Huddersfield job, I’d be leaving Vilafranquense top of the Portuguese Second Division.

league.jpg

I say ‘if I take the Huddersfield job’….well of course I’m going to take the job. It gives me the opportunity to go from a club with an estimated value of £2.28 million, to a club worth over £95 million! That’s a significant step up in anyone’s book!

hired at hudders.jpg

Upon leaving Vilafranquense, I reflect on what has been a happy time in Portugal. A 68% win percentage with only 7 losses In 73 games is one of the most successful spells I’ve ever had anywhere on any version of FM. I delivered a league title and promotion with it for the club and I’m sure the fans and board alike won’t begrudge me going on to bigger and better things.

vila stats.jpg

1609618176514.png

New Club; Huddersfield

So the situation I find myself in is a 19th placed Huddersfield with 19 points in the Championship. Only 2 points above the relegation places and 11 off the playoff spots.

championship.jpg

The club were playing Premier League football back in 2017/18 and 2018/19, but since their return to the Championship, it’s been pretty poor with the club even being relegated to League One, although they did manage to return at the first time of asking last season.

league histroy.jpg

It was, in fact, a double winning season last year as the club won the Papa John’s Trophy as well. Other than that though, trophies have been few and far between in the club’s history. Right now, the focus has to be on re-establishing ourselves in the Championship and ultimately getting back to playing Premier League football.

honours.jpg

I take over the reigns from Robbie Fowler. The board here are going through managers like I go through Gregg’s sausage rolls! I’m their 5th permanent manager in the past 4 ½ years, with two managers managing to last less than 200 days!!

huddersfield managers.jpg

I can't help but feel like I’ve hit the big time a little bit, as I join a club with some excellent facilities, over 11,000 season ticket holders and a value of nearly £100 million!

club details.jpg

Talking of money, there is nearly £10 million in the bank, and nearly £4 million for me to spend in the January transfer window. However, we are currently over spending on the wage budget by a massive £29k per week, so this will need addressing before anything else.

finances.jpg

So let’s see what I’m working with. The squad doesn’t look too shabby on first impressions, although it’s clear to see that most players aren’t reaching their full potential this season with only Jacob Sorensen maintaining an average rating about 7.0. There is a serious concern about the right back position for me and this will need addressing ASAP, and I’d like to improve my attacking options when possible too.

squad.jpg

I’m not working with a bunch of players in complete disarray either as there is a half decent dressing room atmosphere about the place and my support from my new players isn’t anywhere near as negative as it was when I took over at Vilafranquense.

atmosphere.jpg

That might have something to do with the fact the boy’s have won 2 of their last 3 games though.

last 3 games.jpg

Looking over my top 3 players at the club, Jacob Sorensen definitely stands out. As I look to implement the same style of play that was so successful for me in Portugal, Sorensen is going to be playing my DM heartbeat of the team role and is going to be so important for me!

sorensen.jpg

Another midfielder that looks to be one of my key players is Juninho Bacuna, especially as he can play through the middle, or down either flank.

bacuna.jpg

The other player worth mentioning is Jack Walton. I do like having a solid keeper between the sticks and he seems to be doing a good enough job at the moment. Not sure about his ability for the long term, but for now he is one of the better players in the side for sure.

walton.jpg

The message from the board is loud and clear….STAY UP!

expectations.jpg

I’d be stupid not to start things off with the tactic I created that produced a 48 game unbeaten run in Portugal right? As I did with Vilafranquense, player roles are adapted to different players strengths and weaknesses, whilst the opposition instructions will also be adjusted game by game depending on our opponents and what they have to offer in their attacking arsenal.

tactic.jpg

I’ve got 5 days to work with the lads in training before we invite Bristol City to The John Smith’s Stadium for my first game in charge.

1609695057884.png

3rd December 2024 – 3rd January 2025

My first taste of the English FA Cup will be against Leicester City.

fa cup draw.jpg

A great way to start my reign at Huddersfield as we beat Bristol City in my first game in charge. It was a pretty even one, but we took our chances and they didn’t and that was the difference on the day.

bristol city.jpg

I gave right back, TJ Eyoma, jis debut against Bristol City and he turned in a decent performance and bagged an assist. New boss having an impact already?

eyoma.jpg

Two more wins in quick succession followed meaning we’d taken maximum points from my opening 3 games in charge.

2 more wins.jpg

After that Barnsley game, it seems I’m making my first enemy in the game in the form of John Coleman. He was giving it ‘the biggen’ before the game and after as well, so I simply told him to ‘shut his mouth’ as the press so kindly put it.

coleman beef.jpg

Now looking at the preview of the youth coming through, it would suggest that we have plenty to be excited about. I’m always sceptical about these things though so I won’t hold my breath!

youth preview.jpg

Finally, my Assistant Manager, Physio and Fitness Coach that I wanted to bring with me from Vilafranquense have their work permits approved and join the club.

work permit approved.jpg

I gave Angelo Oliveira his first job in coaching and my right hand man was by my side through that 48 game unbeaten run, so it was important for me to bring him to England with me.

oliveira.jpg

I also tried to raid my old club for two players….Paulo Estrela and Andre Ceitil and had transfer fees agreed with the club, only for both players to have their work permits rejected ☹

estrela work permit rejected.jpg

Next up in the league was Preston and a certain TJ Eyoma got his first goal for the club…

eyoma goal.jpg

…in a 4-2 win over the side now managed by David Moyes.

preston game.jpg

This kid doesn’t have the greatest attributes and my assistant only rates him 2 stars. But he is fast growing on me I’ve got to say and after my first 4 games in charge, he is top of the form table!

eyoma form.jpg

As always, I asked the board to go find me an affiliate when I joined and they have delivered….we now have Liverpool as a senior partner and I’ll be looking to their youngsters in January to see if there is anyone worth bringing here on loan for the rest of the season!

liverpool link.jpg

The Christmas period wasn’t the greatest, suffering our first defeat under my management, before only getting a point against Fulham. We then quickly put that behind us as we kick started the New Year with an excellent win over playoff chasing West Brom.

xmas and new year period.jpg

We’ve shot up the table since my arrival and now sit 12th, just 6 points off the playoffs, with 20 games remaining. Not expecting us to get into the top 6, but at least we have something to go for!

league.jpg

The January transfer window is now open and it’s time for me to get to work trying to improve my team. As part of a mini clearout I’ll be looking to have, Michael Duffy is the first player to leave the club as he joins Shamrock Rovers for £44k.

duffy.jpg

Attachments

• eyoma goal.jpg
    eyoma goal.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 31