Chris Williams: My football management career.

CW13

Reaction score
7th July 2009

Woke up this morning thinking "Football Managment sounds like my cup of tea". Went downstairs to have my breakfast wich my wife had prepared for me.
"Thanks Donna, smells great!"
"Your welcome darling" she replied. "By the way, I have some stomach pains, so take it easy on me today ok?"
"Ok, darling"
Switched on the TV and went to Sky Sports news. I am a big Leyton Orient fan and was shocked to see that Geraint Williams had been sacked. Tears came into my eye but I then thought "OPPURTUNITY!!". I immediately drank my tea, burning my tongue a little, and grabbed the phone.
"Hello, Leyton Orient Football Club, how may I help you?" the secretary asked.
"Hi, I am Chris Williams and wish to apply for the vacant manager's job." I replied.
"Ok, Mr Williams I will make the appointment. Does 10.30 sound good?"
"Yes that's fine thanks."

I arrived at the stadium at 10.15 giving me a bit of time to relax and see who else is looking for this job. Not to my shock only a couple of people showed up. One of them I recognised, Russell Slade. He had been rumoured to be interested in the job before Geraint's sacking. The other I had no idea about.

The secretary showed Russell in. 10-15 minutes later he came out and had a smile on his face. I then thought to myself " Oh my God! What if he doesnt like me?!" and had a sudden nervousness about me.
I was ushered in by the secretary and the chairman looked, in my mind, exhausted. I sta down on the comfy, black leather chair and the chairman introduced himself.

"Hi, I am Barry Hearn. Welcome to Leyton Orient football club."
"Thank you, Mr.Hearn. I'm Chris Williams". I replied, shaking his hand. "I am a very big fan of this club and believe I have the potential to bring this club up the football ladder."
"Interesting." Hearn replied. "Do you have any managment experince?"
"Well, I manage my local sunday league team if that counts." He didnt look impressed. "We won our league last year under my management by a resounding margin." I slid a paper with the league table printed on it over the table. He took a look.
"Hmm... interesting. I shall consider your application and will get back to you within the next 24 hours. Goodbye." I picked up my things and left.

On my way home I started thinking "Well, that went well. I could have a shot but Russell has much more experience then me so he'll probably get it."

I got home and rested on the couch. No one else was home so I made myself some lunch.
Few hours later my wife got home. "How'd the interview go sweetie?"
"Alright. I told their chairman about my sunday league team and he seemed impressed. But I wont be expecting the job."
"Well, I am happy that it went well and I will be hoping on your behalf you get the job."
Half an hour passed. The phone rang so I immediately picked it up.
"Hello?"
"Hi is that Chris?"
"Yes."
"Hi! It's Charlie here could I speak to Donna?"
"Yeah, sure." I gave the phone to Donna.

I switched on the laptop. Went to the BBC Sport page and at the top it read "Breaking News! Leyton Orient appoint unknown manager Chris Williams as manager.

The phone rang a couple of minutes later. I knew who it was.
"Hello, Chris?"
"Yes?"
"Its your new boss. Hello gaffer."
"Thank you so much Barry! See you tommorow for the press conference!"

I was so happy. I ran upstairs instantly."Donna! I have great news! Your looking at the new manager of Leyton Orient Football Club!"
She screamed. "Well done! But I have some bigger news!"
"What could be bigger than this?!"
"I'm Pregnant."
I almost fainted. "Thats great honey!"

Last edited:
Thanks, Guys

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

8th July 2010

Still buzzing after the news. I had a talk with Donna in the morning.

"Hey darling, how you feeling?"
"I'm good thanks. How are you?"
"Still buzzing"
"Good, good."
"I've got my first training session and press-conference today so will probably be out for most of the day."
"Ok, you go have fun and be careful what you say"
"Will do"

Arrived at the training ground and was greeted with a huge cheer from fans and players. Training went well with everyone just trying to get back to fitness. We have got a game against our reserves and I gave a brief talk on what I expect from them.

"The match tonight is not just for me to see what I've got here but alsoto get you used to my style of football. That is also going to be what our future training sessions will be about. Do you understand?!"
"YES COACH!!!" They screamed.

Barry Hearn called me into his office. "Yes boss?"
"Lets talk budgets."
"I'm getting a budget?!"
"Yes Chris. Anyway, I want you to get a safe mid-table position this year and therefore am willing to offer you £100,000 to spend on transfers and a wage budget of £23,000."
"Deal."

So I walked away to meet the Press Officer at the end of the corridor and he took me to the press-conference.
Journalist: As a big fan of Leyton Orient, I'm sure you are delighted to take te reigns here?
Me: Yeah. Im absolutely delighted. This club has a great history I cant wait to be a part of it.
Journalist: What is your preffered tactical style?
Me: I prefer to play possesion football with long, slow build up up for attacks. Safe and simple.
Journalist: Most new managers overhaul the club with new signings and the selling of players. Are there likely to be any changes here?
Me: Its unlikely. If I do make changes they will only be people who I consider dead wood leavin or only a potentially great signing coming in.
Thanks for your time guys the press-conference is now over.

My wife called me a few minutes after the press conference.
"How'd it go?"
"It went well thanks. Anyway, how are you feeling?"
"Really good, thanks. Only stomach pains giving me a little grief."
"Ok, happy your feeling alright. Bye"
"Bye"

Leyton Orient 4-0 Leyton Orient Reserves

The first goal came on 30 mins when Leyton beautifully worked a counter attack which led to Jonathan Tehoué being left with an easy finish past Bygrave. Then on 41 minutes there was more delight as McGleish scored a header from Smith's flick on. On 54 minutes I made all my substitutions. On 57 minutes Scott McGleish added to his tally with his second goal after Jason Demetriou put him through. And McGleish bagged his hattrick on 72 minutes after a great pass from Chambers found him in the box to hit home.

Really happy with the way the team played. They really clicked and switched on after that first goal. Excellent.

Next Update will be rest of pre-season, views and transfers

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:14 PM ----------

5th August 2009

Pre-Season went well enough. It saw us play a variety of clubs and helped the lads get used to my regime and buil match fitness.

It was very packed with 10 fixtures being played. The first was against our reserves which I told you about in the previous post. We then played SPL side Hibernian and they completely outclassed us, beating us 4-0.

Next we travelled to debt-ridden Chester. It finished 3-0 and Jason Demetriou scored an amzing goal from around 20 yards on his weaker left foot. Adrian Patulea and Charlie Daniels also scored.

Next we played Dag & Red at their place. In this london derby luck was not on our side. We lost 2-0. We played incredibly ****** and I had a little word with my players afterwards.
"What in the name of bollocks was that?! There was no passing moves, no possesion, no attacking threat! You lot really need to shape up otherwise some of you may not be playing for this club on the 8th August!!!"

Hoping that my players had understood the message I focused on the next game. They certainly showed me they had learnt their lesson as we beat Cray Wanderers 4-0. Chris Benjamin, a youngster brought into the squad from the U18s, played excellently and grabbed a brace.

Lincoln were next up at Sincil Bank. Jimmy Smith scored in the 27th minute to put us ahead. But Lincoln didnt give up and were persistent in trying to score the equaliser but couldnt do it and we held on to win 1-0.

Newcastle then came down to our place and the geordie fans were all thinking" There is no way Leyton Orient are going to beat us. We'll win this easy." The geordie's were almost right, although they did win we proved to be a much sterner test than they expected and despite battling hard we succumbed to a 2-1 loss in the summer heat.

We got our revenge though. St.Albans city visited Brisbane Road for their footballing lesson. The first goal came in the 27th minute from the left boot of another U18 player Harry Beautyman. His long-range effort hit the underside of the bar before going in. Sean Thornton Doubled the lead shortly after half-time with his own strike from long-range. Anicet Adjamossi, a new left-back, scored with a real pocher's effort to put The O's 3-0 up. 5 minutes later Orient had a fourth as St. Albans fans started leaving. Ben Chorley scored as he let leash a 25 yard shot into the top corner. Another 5 minutes passed and Thornton secured his brace with as he unleased another beauty strike. To complete the rout, Anicet Adjamossi almost added his second but the keeper saved only to see Adrian Patulea slot home the rebound.

Glenn Hoddle and his academy turned up and played a match which resulte in a 3-1 win for my side. Jonathan Tehoué with the best goal from 20 yards. It seems we are having no trouble scoring from long-range which is nice to know.

The final match was another inter-club match this time against the Under-18s. We once again found out shooting boots hidden in someone's locker and won 3-1. Adrian Patulea (2) and Jonathan Tehoué were on the scoresheet.

Very pleased with these results and cannot wait to the start of the season.

Here are my tranfers:

In:
Anton Jongsma - Free
Anicet Adjamossi - Free
Joe Bennett - Middlesborough: £40,000
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas - Arsenal: Loan
Kevin Amankwaah - Swindon: £55,000

Out:
Stephen Purches - Peterborough United: £26,000

Last edited:
Thanks mates.

Comments are very much appreciated!

ok, so my computer decided to shut down unexpectedly after I had a great start to the season. ******* laptop. :mad: Have to restart game at first game of season

Also if anyone wants to join this story they may.

Last edited:
that is bad **** that i was really enjoying the story now itll probably change

xvfg9 by first game of season i meant first league game so I dont have to change anything. :)

Awesome story so far mate, really enjoying it. Should have made the interview slightly longer though, as it didn't seem to go that well to the audience. Or was that just me?

Haha, it's not a criticism, mate, more of a piece of advice. Keep the story up and I'll certainly follow.

29 August 2009

Today I resigned as manager of Leyton Orient. It was after a poor run of results and I know I should have stayed longer but I felt I couldnt do anything.

Here are my results:

Bristol Rovers 0-0 Leyton Orient

Q.P.R 1-0 Leyton Orient (aet)

Leyton Orient 3-0 Oldham
Mkandawire; Tehoue; Jarvis

Leyton Orient 0-1 Charlton

Yeovil 3-1 Leyton Orient
McGleish

Leyton Orient 1-2 Carlisle
Thornton

I just wasnt happy at the club. Sorry if I dissapointed anyone.

The story will keep on going though as I will be looking for more jobs. Again really sorry!

Sorry Eds... I really just felt that I couldnt do anything with the club. Really really Sorry!!!

P.S I know im an idiot

You didn't even give yourself any league games, and your pre-season results weren't even that bad.

The games above your "What?!" post where League Games plus the league cup sorry should've pointed that out in the post

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

30th October 2009

Sitting on the beach in California thinking "Man, when is my agent gonna call me saying I got a job." Went back to my hotel room and took out me laptop. No e-mail. Went on the internet to see how Leyton Orient were doing as I am still a fan of the club. They had appointed John Trewick as manager and were lying 18th. Their Top Scorer was

Felt bored so went to the gym. Lifted some weights then got a text from my wife. It read,"Baby started kicking today!"
"Really!? That's amazing! How are you anyway?
"Im good feeling really happy. You?"
"Yeah I'm good. No job offer yet but I am enjoing myself."
"Cool. Well I got to go. Bye"
"Bye"

Was smiling to know that the baby was kicking. The baby should be coming sometime in may.

Also checked wahts been going on everywhere else in England. Chelsea were in the lead at the top of the prem from Man.Utd, Man.City and Everton.
In the Champonship West Brom are top followed by Bristol City and Newcastle are currently 7th.
League 1 is being topped by Millwall with Norwich second.
In League 2, Chesterfield have surprised everyone and lead at the top on GD and in the other promotion spots are Morecambe and Notts County.
And finally the last league. The BSP is...

Sorry, just got a call from my agent.

"Chris, good news. Kettering in the BSP have offered you a job. They are offering a three year contract on £550 p/w."
"Tell them I'lltake it! I'll come to England now."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st November 2009

Came back to England this morning. I had an appointment with Imraan Ladak at 11.00.

"Hey Chris. take a seat." I sat down on the bean bag chair.
"Good morning. I am proud to be at this club."
"Good. What is your ambition so we can talk budgets?"
"Well my first aim is to keep this club in this league."
"Ok, how about £20,000 for the transfer budget and £8,000 for the wages?"
"That sounds good mate, yeah."
"Good. Well go meet your new players."
"Thanks boss."

Went down to the training ground and met the players. Saw Alton Thelwell, a former Leyton Orient player.

"Ok! Lets get down to business. You guys need to shape up in this league otherwise you'll find yourselves relegated and I dont want that happening!"
"Yes boss!"

I immediately noticed the club need a new left mid so I quicky went into the market.

Thanks for following guys! Update at end of November!

Good luck at Kettering hope it turns out better than Orient, I've been Kettering though and it is quite fun