Chris Williams: My football management career.

28th November 2009

Well my first month as manager of Kettering went OK. We picked up a couple of good results and moved up a place in the league.

My first match in charge was against Cambridge. It was really dull and both teams didnt really look like scoring. It was one of those games that needed a flasjh of inspiration or a mistake for the game to be won. And with the game nearing the end Cambridge's keeper Danny Potter had the ball bounce off the post into his back and in the net.

The second match was at home to Kidderminster. The game started well for us when Marna socred in the 4th minute. Kidderminster equalised on the brink of half-time and no-one could find the winner in the second-half.

The third match was our first loss of the season. Hayes and Yeading continues their fine form with their fourth game on the trot. Marna scored and I started getting excited for an unbeaten run but in the second halfthey cameback to win 2-1.

The final match of November was against Altrincham. Another bore draw but I am actually really happy with this match. The sole reason being that we had 2 players sent off. Also Marna socred for his third game in a row.

So yeah, the month went ok and I am hopeful of staying away from relegation. View attachment 89602

btw, This story might stop if I start a Joint Story with matyfatymole

Last edited:
I see why you resigned as Orient but good luck at Kettering!

28th December 2009

December was much better than the previous month moving up a couple of places in the league and securing a couple of good results.

Our first game of the month was at Luton. I went for a defensive tactic but Luton had too much. They won 1-0.

Our next match was at home to Salisbury our fellow relegation candidates. I thought it was a lot more impotant to beat Salisbury then Luton so went a bit more attacking. It seemed to work as we cameback from 1 goal down to win 2-1. The best goal being from Boucard when his shot from range hit the crossabr and went in. Lowndes also scored.

Next was a match against Hinckley in the FA Trophy. It was an easy match as we dominated from start to finish and won 2-0. Marna and O'Connor scored.

Back to the league and we succumbed to a 2-0 loss against Gateshead, another team fighting for survival. They were just too good for us is starting to become a normal saying for me.

We got our revenge though when we beat yet antoher team fighting to stay afloat, this time in the form of Tamworth. We won 2-0 and I was incredibly pleased with the boys. "Well done boys! Thats what we needed to restart our season! Well done!" Was the team-talk at full-time.

Our final match of December was against play-off chasing Histon. It was very boring and unsurprisingly ended 0-0.

Very happy with the way the team are playing but it could be improved. However, I have got three singnings that will be coming straight into the first team and one for the future so I am quite content.
View attachment 89731

31st January 2010

We seem to be improving every month as we had another great month in January. A couple of surprises were just what we needed to get further away from the relegation battle.

In the first match we played Tamworth again in the league and this time we wre not to beat them. It looked as though we might for most of the match after Mongin scored but Nick Wright scored late on for Tamworth to level the game.

Next we visited Leek in the FA Trophy. We were expected to win comfotably and we once again dominated from start to finish and won 3-1. I was dissapointed to let in that goal though.

Back to the BSP and next up were Rushden. We looked down and out after we went down 2-0 in the first half but we cameback superbly and William Grigg, a new signing,scored a brace to level. 22 minutes of nervous football later a corner was swung in we had a header saved but then... GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!! Alton Thelwell scored on the rebound. The match finished 3-2.

We then played Cambridge at home and once again we had a boring game but this time they were no mistakes or flashes of inspiration could settle the game. 0-0.

Then we played Stevenage away. It was a repeat of the Rushden result jut the other way round. We went 2-1 up but then they killed us off late on to win the game 3-2.]

Crawley were next to visit us and we played well but couldnt find that final goal and the match finished 2-2. William Grigg scored an excellent goal from long-range and Mongin also scored.

The final match of January was the third round of the FA Trophy against Rushden. There wasnt a repeat of the close game in the league though as this time we beat them 3-1 with new loan signing Jamil Adam scored a brilliant hattrick and the Rushden defence couldnt cope.

Transfers:
In:
William Grigg - £1,000 - Walsall
Luke Potter - £10,000 - Barnsley
Andrew Callaghan - Free
Lloyd Macklin - £2,500 - Swindon
Jamil Adam - Loan - Barnsley

Out:
Darren Wrack - Free - Grimsby

View attachment 89812

Nice pace to be six points away from relegation spaces.

28th Feburary 2010

February was even better seeing an unbeaten run come to the team and a rise up the table.

We started the month with York fans travelling to our 6100 capacity stadium and we made sure we sent them back home disappointed. William Grigg scored the best goal for us when he got past 2 people and finished low into the net. Jamil Adam also scored in our 2-1 win.

We then visited Ebbsfleet and we played very well once again and Hadfield scored an excellent free-kick and Mongin doubled our league. We held on to our lead and a clean sheet to win 2-0.

Barrow were next at their ground in a match we were expected to lose. Jamil Adam scored in the 10th minute and from then it was a very tight affair with Barrow attacking and giving us **** but we held on and the match finished 1-0.

Next we played Grays at home and once again we beat a team fighting for survival to further help our bid for suvival. Adam and Kelly scored to put us 2-0 up and Grays couldnt fight back and it finished 2-0.

In the Fourth Round of the F.A Trophy we played Wrexham at home. Both teams played well and Wrexham scored early to put our position in the Trophy under pressure but Jamil Adam once again starred and after Luke Potter's long range effort found the net, Jamil Adam netted twice to put us 3-1 up. Wrexham scored late on to set up a nervy ending but we held on to go through to the semi-final where we will play Cambridge.

The final game of Feburary was against Rushden for our away game against them. We surprised everyone and managed to thrash them 4-1. Four different players scored:
Adam (continuing his fine form); Mongin; Hadfield; Grigg (him and Adam seem to have a good partnership)

View attachment 89931

So we are up to 11th and look set to stay away from relegation. My aim now is to get into the top 10.

feel free to leave a comment as they are much appreciated

30th March 2010

March saw us lose our winning streak ab]nd get knocked out of the F.A Trophy. Despite these negatives we did get, in my mind, our best result of the season. We also stayed where we were in the league table aswell.

The first match saw Chester travel to Rockingham Road. Jamil Adam and Grigg both scored and we held onto to win the macth 2-0.

We then travelled to Oxford and what was expected to be a tight affair turned into a 3-0 win for Oxford United. We played really poorly and had two of our midfielders injured.

In the F.A Trophy Semi-Final 1st leg we were visited by Cambridge. Due to the injured midfielders and another one being suspended we could only play one cental midfielder and he was a youth player. It ended up being a tight affair which I was surprised about but we lost 1-0 . We had to improve in the second leg.

But before the second leg we had another league match. This time it was Forest Green to visit Rockingham Road and Adam had another great game by scoring the only goal of the game to win 1-0. We had one of our midfielders back and it showed as we didnt have enough creativity to go on and get some more chances.

Now then the second leg of the F.A Trophy against Cambridge. Needing a two goal win to go through i went out attacking. Cambridge took the lead and then went 2-0 up. I got even more attacking and we quickly got bakc into the match through Jamil Adam and then he got his second on the brink of half-time to equalise. But just as I was getting optimistic their young right winger Robbie Willmot scored and we didnt have a reply. They won 4-2 on aggregate but it was a good effort from my lads.

Our final game of March then came against Mansfield at home. Mansfield were leading the league table and it felt soooo good when we took the lead through Jamil Adam. But Mansfield swiftly broke into a 2-1 lead. Just on the brink of half-time once again Jamil Adam managed to score and at half-time it was 2-2. And in the 67th minute we sealed our win when Jamil Adam got his second hattrick for the club and we held on to win 3-2.

View attachment 90067

So we stay 11th and have sealed our survival.

thanks flamindamon and chriss.

yeah i was hoping for top 10 finish

quick update:

View attachment 90094

Excellent form our loanee, he's got 22 goals in 15 games now for us. I mean WTF! Too good for BSP in every sense.

Last edited:
27th April 2010

April was the final month of the season and it went excellently once again as we recorded some really good wins to finish our season strongly.

The first match we played was away to Grays. This is where Jamil Adam scored his five goals but I was disappointed to see us concede two as the match finshed 5-2.

We then went on to play Histon at home where we once again showed our superiority as we outclassed Histon and went on to win the game 3-0. Jacob Walcott scored his forst goal for the club since he joined on loan. Adam once again scored along with Marna who ended his goal drought with a brilliant goal from the edge of the area.

Chester were next at their place and it was harder then we first thought. Although we took the lead through Adam again! Chester equalised well and neither team could find a winner.

Next up was Eastbourne Boro at home and we managed to scrape a victory 1-0 with Adam scoring yet another goal.

Adam also scored twice when we travelled to Salisbury and we won the game 2-0 and Salisbury got relegated.

I will do the league table in the end of season update.

End of Season Report

This season at Kettering started off at 20th, 1 place off relegation but since then Kettering made a steady climb with some good signings coming in from anywhere. Jamil Adam waqs a particular highlight.

League Table:

View attachment 90121

So we finished 8th which was excellent considering where I came in at. Mansfield surprised everyone and were crowned champions while Oxford won the play-offs against Stevenage. Mansfield picked up the best signing award through David Winters on a free who finished top-scorer in the league. We picked up worst signing of the season through Lloyd Mackling who was injured when I signed so he didnt get too many games anyway.

Man. City won the Prem, West Brom, Newcastle and Middlesborough returned to the premier league, Coca Cola league 1 was won by Norwich, Leyton Orient got relegated to League two (i feel that was my fault). The F.A Cup was won by Chelsea, The Carling by Arsenal, the Johnstones Paint Trophy was won by Charlton and the F.A Trophy by Luton.

Best Eleven:

View attachment 90122

Jamil Adam deservedly was the best one by a long way.

All in all I am very happy with the season and look forward to next year!

Last edited:
6th August 2010

Pre-season went OK with a lot of games against better opposition. We lost most of them but got acouple of good results.

Our first fixture was against my former club Leyton Orient. I was expecting us to lose but I thought it would be much closer than how it turned out to be. They raced into a 2-0 but I got hopeful when we got one back through new signing Radoslav Vasilev. But they got another two goals and it finished 4-1.

We then played Championship side Swansea and we upset the odds by getting a nice 1-1 draw. Trialist Michael Proctor equalised with a a header in the second half.

Next to visit Rockingham Road was Walsall. In another match where we were expected to lose in a tight affair we once again were overpowered by a Football League Club. 3-0 loss was not on the agenda.

West Ham also came down to our place and we performed much better to bag two goals but West Ham scored four. We put in a good effort and I am happy in the end with this result.

Next up were Nottingham Forest. We put in another good performance but once again we lost 1-0. It was really unlucky.

Woves were the next big team to come down and they smashed us 3-0. We just didnt have a reply to their attacks.

The Glenn Hoddle Academy visited us in a macth to see if they had any good players to sign. We were'nt expected to win but we did very well and came away with a 2-0 win. New signing Doolan got a goal and so did other new sing Matt Hamshaw.

Ellon Utd were the last team we were to play and in a match we expected to win comfortably but we seemed to struggle. A 1-1 draw was not the best result and couldnt have done anything helpful to our confidence.

So a slightly disappointing pre-season but I was still up beat about our chances in the league.

Yes! Brilliant end to the season, I thought there was only 42 games but I was wrong and you've done very very well to get them that high at 8th! Good luck for next season, try and break that! ;)

Yes! Brilliant end to the season, I thought there was only 42 games but I was wrong and you've done very very well to get them that high at 8th! Good luck for next season, try and break that! ;)

Tah for the comment and I think I could do better this season. Reason for you thinking there is 42 games is because the league had 24 teams not 22 like the Screenie showed

Quick brain teaser for you to think about (part of my next update):

Couldn't resign ***** **** on loan but managed to get someone else!

Guess the name of the person I couldn't sign

Correct, my friend...

You're reward you ask? Hmm... I'll be generous and I'll give you a lowly peanut.

Sorry Chriss!!!

31st August 2010

Kettering 1-1 Altrincham
Kettering made a steady start to the brand new season with a draw at home to Altrincham. New signing Kris Doolan scored in the 12th minute to put Kettering into the lead. Chris Denham equalised 6 minutes later and no club could find the winner. There was also an injury worry for Kettering as goalscorer Kris Doolan picked up an injury in the 76th minute.

Eastbourne Boro 1-3 Kettering
Kettering managed to improve on their performance against Altrincham with an excellent 3-1 over Eastbourne Boro. Loanee Nikola Saric shone in this match and got two goals either side of an Eastbourne goalto go to 2-1 up at half-time. Louis-Georges Mongin scored to complete the scoring.

Kettering 2-1 Rushden
Kettering continued their fine form with a solid win but Rushden didnt make it easy for the Poppies. Nikola Saric scored the fastest goal in Kettering's history after just 15 seconds. Rushden equalised through Lee Tomlin just 3 minutes later. It took Nikola Saric the rest of the game but he finally got his brace and made sure Kettering got another win over their rivals. Nikola Saric has now scored 4 in 3 games.

Newport Co 1-2 Kettering
Kettering collected their third win on the trot with a good win against newly promoted Newport County. Kettering took the lead when Zane Powell scored after Saric put him through. Newport County just before Half-Time through Mark McCulloch. Nikola Saric capped a grear performance with a goal of his own to put Kettering back into the lead and send the Poppies fans into raptures.

Stevenage Borough 0-1 Kettering
Kettering exetended there winning streak to five game and their unbeaten streak to 6 with a win over Stevenage. The only goal of the game came from Radoslav Vasilev in the 38th minute with a powerful effort from the edge of the area.

An excellent month and I hope we can keep this run going in september.

Transfers:
View attachment 90279

Some good transfers there. Saric has been very impressive as well as Ollerenshaw and Lathrope. Peterborough is my parent club so that's why they are highlighted in blue.

League Table:
View attachment 90280

Topping the table feels so great doesn't it...