• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 4K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Eric Cantona syas Manchester City should concentrate on developing their academy to challenge Manchester United for major honours.

More...

they should do, I think every club in the football league should produce more young talent, certainly in the Premier League but sadly some clubs would rather splash £30mil on someone than give a youngster to prove themself.

It is one thing im glad Chelsea did, our acadamy has greatly improved and Roman has put alot of money into it but i dont see City doing this.

It is one thing im glad Chelsea did, our acadamy has greatly improved and Roman has put alot of money into it but i dont see City doing this.

City actually have a very good academy, you're profiting from one example with Sturridge, but it seems to have been forgotten amongst all the spending

City actually have a very good academy, you're profiting from one example with Sturridge, but it seems to have been forgotten amongst all the spending

Couldn't you argue the case that Studge came from Cov/Villa and City gave him his first team break? I'm not really clear on what the rules are on 'making' a player but yes City do have a good academy.

I dont think Cantona have heard of Citys recent plans regarding the academy.

Consultation process for development of the Etihad Campus at the Etihad Stadium begins. - Manchester City FC

• A new Academy for up to 400 young players with classrooms for 200
• On site accommodation for junior and senior players
• 16 football pitches, up to 12 of them dedicated to players aged from 8 to 18
• A state of the art first team building with changing rooms, gym, refectory and injury and rehab centre
• A 7,000 capacity stadium for youth matches
• Staff offices and a dedicated media centre
• A bridge linking the site to the Etihad Stadium and the rest of the Etihad Campus

City have always had a good acedemy tbh. Players like Richards, Onouha, Ireland, Sturridge...

City have always had a good acedemy tbh. Players like Richards, Onouha, Ireland, Sturridge...

As Mike. said, they seem more likely to buy foreigners than bring through their own young talent. Richards gets played, yes, but Onuoha can't get in, neither could Ireland or Johnson.

Couldn't you argue the case that Studge came from Cov/Villa and City gave him his first team break? I'm not really clear on what the rules are on 'making' a player but yes City do have a good academy.

He's been at City since he was 13 IIRC, so i'd put the bulk of the credit on them

Last edited:
He's been at City since he is 13 IIRC, so i'd put the bulk of the credit on them

Aah I thought he was only there for a short time as he played for the Cov and Villa youth teams.

as an (ex) scholar of city's academy, i can say its around the same levels as what i've seen if uniteds. great academy

yeah ive always thought city to have a decent academy, true, not a lot of the recent ones actually play for man city now, but they have churned out a good amount of talented players, albeit not the players man city were wanting long term.

theres a kid called kieran kennedy coming through, was a year younger than my bro and used to play against him and dominate the games, plays for the reserves at 17 bright future!

Except city already have a very good academy, thats just extra gloss, but you seemingly have little intention of bringing them into the first team

For now...because there aren't any very good players close to coming through the academy now. Only Boyata and maybe Weiss.

City need to spend less every year because the squad is very competive and young. Next summer for example...i dont think City will need any players, unless some players leave...they will need to replace them. While City have signed a few promising kids this summer.

Mancini has to think more short-term and keep the squad competive at present. He doesn't care if there is a 16-year old promising kid coming through because he wont be any use to him for the next 4 years...you know. He could leave or get sacked by then.

It's the club that has to think long-term and the academy is part of the long-term plan. And hopefully the academy will produce and train some good players who can replace some of the first-teamers in the future.

For now...because there aren't any very good players close to coming through the academy now. Only Boyata and maybe Weiss.

City need to spend less every year because the squad is very competive and young. Next summer for example...i dont think City will need any players, unless some players leave...they will need to replace them. While City have signed a few promising kids this summer.

Mancini has to think more short-term and keep the squad competive at present. He doesn't care if there is a 16-year old promising kid coming through because he wont be any use to him for the next 4 years...you know. He could be sacked by then. :D

It's the club that has to think long-term and the academy is part of the long-term plan. And hopefully the academy will produce and train some good players who can replace some of the first-teamers in the future.

There are plenty of promising players coming through, one thing city used to do is give them the chance, that has changed dramatically.

Mancini has to think long and short term, thats his job as the manager. Thats no excuse.

You have had Onuha and the like break through, they are certainly good players, and you've swept them aside, willing to sell them off

theres a kid called kieran kennedy coming through, was a year younger than my bro and used to play against him and dominate the games, plays for the reserves at 17 bright future!

Until he finds drink, drugs and *** lol.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Yer i mean even before they got bought they had a good acadamy but they seem to be fazing these next line out i.e Boyata, Schmeichel, Weiss and Sturridge etc.

There are plenty of promising players coming through, one thing city used to do is give them the chance, that has changed dramatically.

Mancini has to think long and short term, thats his job as the manager. Thats no excuse.

You have had Onuha and the like break through, they are certainly good players, and you've swept them aside, willing to sell them off

No, i dont think there are any CLOSE to coming through. Boyata and Weiss yes. Onuoha is decent. But he is not good enough to start for City. But i dont think he would be a worse squad player than someone like O'Shea or Brown was for United.

Then again....i think Mancini wants to get ridd of him because he slagged Mancini off last season publicly in some ******* Soccer AM interview lol. And thats something unacceptable.

But seriously...can't think of any other players who is close to the quality to play for City now. Some promising 16-18 year olds yes.

No, i dont think there are any CLOSE to coming through. Boyata and Weiss yes. Onuoha is decent. But he is not good enough to start for City. But i dont think he would be a worse squad player than someone like O'Shea or Brown was for United.

Then again....i think Mancini wants to get ridd of him because he slagged Mancini off last season publicly in some ******* Soccer AM interview lol. And thats something unacceptable.

But seriously...can't think of any other players who is close to the quality to play for City now. Some promising 16-18 year olds yes.

Actually that came after Mancini decided to shut him out for the entire season, even though he was good enough t be in the first team cover, and steadily improving.

what he said: "It was good to see the club be so successful because I've been there for so long, but I almost feel like I was taking a backseat to a lot of the action," he added.

"When Mark Hughes lost his job, the new manager came in and I don't think he liked me, to be honest.

"I kept myself fit and I was being very professional but, in the end, it just wasn't to be."

"Just because you've got money it doesn't mean you have to spend it, but if you are to spend it, spend it well," he said.

"Make sure it's a player who is going to fit into the team and help the team go forward, as opposed to one who changes the total dynamic of the club."

In that respect Cantona' orginal words is bang on, City have hugely turned away on their policy of youth when most sides would kill for the kind of young talent they have

Last edited:

Mancini has to think more short-term and keep the squad competive at present. He doesn't care if there is a 16-year old promising kid coming through because he wont be any use to him for the next 4 years...you know. He could leave or get sacked by then.

what you really need to do is to trim down your squad size selling off players such as Bridge and Shaun Wright Philipps and then giving your promising youngsters a chance instead of leaving the quad as it is

Back