City must develop youth - Cantona

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 4K
I think City would do well to listen to King Cantona's advice. We gave the youngsters a chance. remember the impact Rooney had against Arsenal when he first appeared? And who can forget the impact Dan Gosling had against Liverpool? And Coleman certainly had an impact last season. Some clubs really should give them a chance, rather than spending, quite frankly, sickening amounts of money, with the risk that player may not even adapt to their style of play, and flop spectacularly. I don't know if some clubs are scared to risk it or what, but as we have demonstrated, it can be worth the risk sometimes. Not that I'm bragging about it or anything lol

I think City would do well to listen to King Cantona's advice. We gave the youngsters a chance. remember the impact Rooney had against Arsenal when he first appeared? And who can forget the impact Dan Gosling had against Liverpool? And Coleman certainly had an impact last season. Some clubs really should give them a chance, rather than spending, quite frankly, sickening amounts of money, with the risk that player may not even adapt to their style of play, and flop spectacularly. I don't know if some clubs are scared to risk it or what, but as we have demonstrated, it can be worth the risk sometimes. Not that I'm bragging about it or anything lol

Did you leave out Rodwell intentionally so that no one will bring up some rumor? lol..

Yeah, the reason I like Everton is Moyes and the way young players get their chances..

Did you leave out Rodwell intentionally so that no one will bring up some rumor? lol..

Yeah, the reason I like Everton is Moyes and the way young players get their chances..

Don't know what you mean *cough* lol

That's what I don't get. If Moyes can do it with results, why can't other managers do it too. Fergies done it aswell, and it's paid off. If they're not going to use them, at least sell them to a club where they will get the development they need to be successful players. Would just be a shame to see them never get the training and playing time they need, and just never reach their potential. Hate seeing that happen to promising youngsters.

Our academy is already very good, Jim Cassell is one of the best youth coaches around, if it wasnt for him and his expertees bringing the likes of ireland, onouha, SWP, Richards etc through then i dont think we would be where we are now, survival would have been very unlikely in those days when we were struggling.

In all honesty i find a few comments hypocritical, MisterStubbs said on the first post its sad that clubs would rather go and spend a lot of money on one player than bring youth through, sort of like Utd just did with De Gea, Young etc then, and what you have done for years with the likes of berbatov, rooney, ferdinand etc.

Our academy is already very good, Jim Cassell is one of the best youth coaches around, if it wasnt for him and his expertees bringing the likes of ireland, onouha, SWP, Richards etc through then i dont think we would be where we are now, survival would have been very unlikely in those days when we were struggling.

In all honesty i find a few comments hypocritical, MisterStubbs said on the first post its sad that clubs would rather go and spend a lot of money on one player than bring youth through, sort of like Utd just did with De Gea, Young etc then, and what you have done for years with the likes of berbatov, rooney, ferdinand etc.

except united have constantly brought the youth through, and not blocked or discarded them

Last edited:

Yet we still have the likes of Rafael, Fabio, Jonny Evans, Danny Welbeck, Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverly and Darron Gibson all involved with the first team after coming up through the youth set up. Not forgetting up to recently having Paul Scholes, Wes Brown, John O'Shea and Gary Neville who again all came through the youth ranks. Of course we spend money, every club do but Sir Alex blends in a lot of youth season after season so not sure how you can find my comments hypocritical but of course your entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
The point here is balance, and City have lost that,which would be understandable if they had a poor academy; but they dont, they have a terrific one that shouldnt be ignored

Who are you lot to say its being ignored, i dont think you guys have any idea how much mancini and cassell are doing with the academy. Stop acting like a know it all Mike.

I'm not saying it's being ignored. Just saying the players that come through are being under-utilized and always being moved about on loan. And I'm not saying it's just Man City that are guilty of doing this. There are other clubs that have done it too

Who are you lot to say its being ignored, i dont think you guys have any idea how much mancini and cassell are doing with the academy. Stop acting like a know it all Mike.

lets see, you have shipped or blocked off most of your youth players, and have shown little intention of promoting any, a complete volte face from what city used to.

first of all we have richards, balotelli, hart, guidetti, boyata, Weiss, Cunningham, Razak, Weiss all around the first team squad. We are raising these players because we know with these new rules we cant go out and buy a new team every summer like Mark Hughes did. I dont think we are ignoring it at all and i think in time we will bring these youth in, no need to rush is there :)

I'm not saying it's being ignored. Just saying the players that come through are being under-utilized and always being moved about on loan. And I'm not saying it's just Man City that are guilty of doing this. There are other clubs that have done it too

Its defintely not a City specific problem, too many clubs are doing the same, not good for football at all in the long run, but too few people care about the long run

Mike, im not an idiot believe me, i understand we have to have a good youth, but im annoyed because you sit there and say we are ignoring it which just isn't true. You are right a lot of the time but now i honestly believe you are wrong.

first of all we have richards, balotelli, hart, guidetti, boyata, Weiss, Cunningham, Razak, Weiss all around the first team squad. We are raising these players because we know with these new rules we cant go out and buy a new team every summer like Mark Hughes did. I dont think we are ignoring it at all and i think in time we will bring these youth in, no need to rush is there :)

I would hardly count balotelli as your academy, you're trying to shift weiss off again, guidetti was out of contract and was almost off to twente (though i hear forest may yet take him on loan).

Razak seems set to be around, not sure about cunningham

Mike, im not an idiot believe me, i understand we have to have a good youth, but im annoyed because you sit there and say we are ignoring it which just isn't true. You are right a lot of the time but now i honestly believe you are wrong.

Joe look back the last 5-6 yeras at what city did with the youth and look now. No one is saying they shouldnt spend, but i'm not sure how you can deny they have lost the balance between the two

I would hardly count balotelli as your academy, you're trying to shift weiss off again, guidetti was out of contract and was almost off to twente (though i hear forest may yet take him on loan).

Razak seems set to be around, not sure about cunningham

And Joe hart was bought when he was 19, which was one of the best buys city have made.. Very good goal keeper..

I believe someone pointed it out already, but City needed to buy some players to compete in the league and champions league. They wouldn't off been able to compete with just their youths. In 1 or 2 years they should be giving youths a chance once they can challenge for the Premier League and their team is gelling well.

Balotelli is a youngster and one of the best in the world, but i do see your point. You said we were ignoring youth completely and to be honest balotelli is youth. Weiss is a superb winger and will get better if we send him out on loan, hopefully to the SPL again because he is a class apart up there. Guidetti is very young and a loan move will do him good, especially to forest because steve mcclaren knows what he is doing. We also have a young spaniard called Juan Angel Roman who looks immense from what ive seen of him, hes like a mini david silva. Loaning out youth is a good idea, utd did it last season with Welbeck, Cleverley and Macheda.

Yet we still have the likes of Rafael, Fabio, Jonny Evans, Danny Welbeck, Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverly and Darron Gibson all involved with the first team after coming up through the youth set up. Not forgetting up to recently having Paul Scholes, Wes Brown, John O'Shea and Gary Neville who again all came through the youth ranks. Of course we spend money, every club do but Sir Alex blends in a lot of youth season after season so not sure how you can find my comments hypocritical but of course your entitled to your opinion.

Fabio and Rafael were picked from Brazilian clubs. But credit for developing them. Evans is ***** IMO. Gibson is garbage. Welbeck wont be a starter, squad player at best. Probably same with Cleverley. Ryan Giggs...(taken from MANCHESTER CITY'S academy).

Gary Neville..fair enough. Same with Scholes. Wes Brown and John O'Shea...good squad players. See....United have produced a few top players, but the players who play regulary are big money signings.

The best way to get into a top team is to go out on loan and play regulary in a top league. And do well...you can't expect a team like City to give every decent player from the academy many chances in the league.

Back