City unveil 80-acre academy plan

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 4K
Funny thing was, there wasnt even any city hating going on. But C'est la vie

I know it's ridiculous. I used to find it very annoying, now I admittedly I just mentally mock. I mean for gods sake, if someone can't handle any rational observation, well it's pretty much a lost cause. Everybody else can handle it. It's just basic observations than BAM! Fly off the handle. Time for a major dismount of an epically high horse I feel.

I know it's ridiculous. I used to find it very annoying, now I admittedly I just mentally mock. I mean for gods sake, if someone can't handle any rational observation, well it's pretty much a lost cause. Everybody else can handle it. It's just basic observations than BAM! Fly off the handle. Time for a major dismount of an epically high horse I feel.

Same old same old. Hoping the plans are successful, it will be a great boost to the area

Re: FFPR, I actually dont care if City pass or fail, I genuinely have no agenda with them, other than wanting them to lose on the pitch, and even then i would like them as a British club to do well in Europe ( and **** off Platini immensely), i just base my views on how the rules are, and what their current financial state is.

Speaking of which, got something for you read re: Everton, will put up in the morning. Not gonna lie, its not good stuff, but it is important to hear on the financial side

Same old same old. Hoping the plans are successful, it will be a great boost to the area

Re: FFPR, I actually dont care if City pass or fail, I genuinely have no agenda with them, other than wanting them to lose on the pitch, and even then i would like them as a British club to do well in Europe ( and **** off Platini immensely), i just base my views on how the rules are, and what their current financial state is.

Speaking of which, got something for you read re: Everton, will put up in the morning. Not gonna lie, its not good stuff, but it is important to hear on the financial side

Oh ****. Each time I see the F word it's gives me nasty feeling. Can't surely be any worse than what's happened. Though admittedly I've heard very, very little recently. Oh well. Here we go again.

Ok i haven't been on this forum for months so i've not really been able to know what you guys do or indeed don't know about City in terms of Sponsorship and development etc.

First off no Joel i'm affraid you're wrong. Don't take my "lack of research" comment as a personal attack on you, it may have been in a response to one of your posts but it wasn't directly aimed at you. But ironicly enough it appears you are actualy miss informed as to the structure of the City/Etihad Sponsorship deal. You seem to believe that the deal covers only the Shirt sponsership and Stadium naming rights. This simpley isn't the case, This deal is unprecidented in sport and covers a vast area of land which will be known as the Etihad campus, Not just the shirt and Ground naming. Indeed they are the smallest parts of the deal by far. The campus will house the youth and training facilities that this thread shows but also a College, a Call Centre, a media suite and various other facilities. In short it will be worth a fortune and the income it will generate will be huge. This is why the sponsorship deal is on such a scale.

I could have sworn I mentioned the campus, shirt and stadium all together and differentiated between them.. And it isn't just the monetary value of the deal, it's the firm investing it. This is a firm, that has never posted a profit of any kind, is only hoping to break even for the next financial year, but suddenly they have £400m to splurge on sponsoring a team, that has very little market pull compared to the big boys, and are entering into a highly saturated market. Barca, Inter, Milan, Juve, United, Liverpool, Madrid etc. all have vivid, rich histories of famous matches and trophy wins. An FA cup in 3 decades isn't going to stand a chance next to those teams, no matter how much money you throw at it. It will be years before City can build that sort of attraction in a single continent, probably after the Etihad deal is even done, so where on Earth is the economic justification - which is the crux of the matter here - in Etihad investing so much, apart from the fact of their close relations? This firm, in a free market decision, would not be making a sponsorship of this size in a million years, it therefore fails to meet FFP criteria.

Why is the Etihad campus justification? It's going to be known around Manchester, it doesn't have global attraction, it's not like shirts and the stadium where fans will constantly see and hear the brand on their TV, and just walking around the streets. You can't use your key player to market it for you as you can shirts, and although Manchester is a big city, it's minute when you compare it to the European, American and Asian markets that the aforementioned teams have sewn up. Yes, it's a great thing, but it's not something that will generate hundreds of millions for sponsors, which is what you're claiming.

I could almost, almost justify this deal if we were talking a huge firm that was posting £800m profits consistently, year on year. But we're not. We're talking about a firm with strong links to your chairman, that has never posted a profit, and isn't even close to posting substantial ones.

Cute. I wish I lived in your world where rich businessman all play by the rules and never do anything wrongly, that they'd never enter into something for fear of investigation. Oh wait, there are multiple instances of this happening with some of the most successful businessman. It's such a cool justification by Chelsea and City fans "This man has made billions, he is therefore infallible!!".

I dont know much about these FFPFRPRPFPRFP rules, but I know thats alot of ******* mowing!

Heard about his lot earlier from City fan, very impressive plan. Heard that they will have some 400 odd young players in their academy and all.

Point is if they can make use of it then they will be benefited a lot, but Madrid do have one of the best academies and churn out very good players, but they rarely use them. They want instant success so they discard their youth to buy someone who is better.

City do have one of the best academy in the league though, this looks like few levels upgrade on existing one.

Oh again FFP in City thread :P

has everyone forgot that they stole this from fc united? or was it not mentioned?
i normally stick up for city but fc united were going to make a stadium and they hijacked the plans to do this.
i doubt fc will ever get there whole stadium because of this, they could have easily found another site, we can't.
[/RANT]

has everyone forgot that they stole this from fc united? or was it not mentioned?
i normally stick up for city but fc united were going to make a stadium and they hijacked the plans to do this.
i doubt fc will ever get there whole stadium because of this, they could have easily found another site, we can't.
[/RANT]

I'm guessing it would be easier for FC United to find another site if all they're building is a stadium.

I'm guessing it would be easier for FC United to find another site if all they're building is a stadium.
yes but we can't afford other places, it was the only place within 4 miles of manchester far enough from housing not to have to buy houses off residents. they could easily afford to buy houses off the council/ people

yes but we can't afford other places, it was the only place within 4 miles of manchester far enough from housing not to have to buy houses off residents. they could easily afford to buy houses off the council/ people

Mark the plan for FCUM to build a stadium in Newton Heath was turned down because local residents along with the council didn't want it. Ten Acre Lane is a 2 minuite walk from the Etihad Stadium and Fixture clashes were just too real a risk to allow it to happen. The site We are building on has nothing to do with it.

Indeed FCUM are building their own Stadium on Broadhurst field in Moston which is right behind my house... How do you not know this?

Below is a pic i have just taken of a booklet that came through my door a couple of weeks ago from FCUM stating exactly what their plans for the new stadium are (any FCUM fans out there who want it can PM me an address and i'll send it them)
23hrg9d.jpg

i do know that, obviously, but would rather be in bury than moston, mind you i'm a tough guy to please ;)

They're building more than just a £30m a player super squad, they're trying to build a legacy that will last and prosper for the next 50 years hopefully securing City's long term future as an elite club. Can't understand how any negative point can be made on this, glad it hasn't, since these sort of facility upgrades/non footballing costs are totally exempt from the break even FFP calculation. People will argue this is a mirror copy of what Real Madrid did when they built their super academy (Not quite as 'super' as this project) to compete with La Masia. This is just a fantastic project and really the only way a club can match Barcelona (Or attempt to) in consistent and constant club-philosophy driven youth production is throw a load of money at it and get the best of every training complex around the world and integrate it into one big super complex. I think this complex really will look a site when it's complete, absolutely streets ahead of the FA's 'elite development centre' at Burton that's being built.

Yet another fantastic thing that has started just this month at City is the History tour that all our Academy lads will now be taken on. MCFC historian Gary James and club ambassador Paul Lake will take our young players around all the historic places where our club began and the key areas that made us into who we are now.

NO other club on the planet does this. It builds pride and empathy in the Academy players by showing them the roots of this club they are with.

Manchester City FC - Manchester City FC

Back