Clichy: We must win the title

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 3K

Calum

Reaction score
GAEL CLICHY insists Arsenal will have no excuses if they fail to win the Premier League this season.

The French full-back is the only surviving member of the Gunners squad that lifted their last championship in 2004.
Boss Arsene Wenger has strengthened his squad by signing striker Marouane Chamakh and defender Laurent Koscielny.
And Clichy, who turned 25 yesterday, said: "I remember a few years ago saying it was time for Arsenal to win and still nothing happened.
"I really hope this year can be a good one and now we cannot hide behind anything — the age or the experience.
"We have everything to do it — so let's do it.
"It is always at the end of season that we are not that far behind and Arsenal had a good season but we didn't win anything.
"We have to ask ourselves the right questions, do we want to be a good team or to win trophies?
"To win trophies we have to be the best and that is what we are trying to do from now on.
"We want to show the fans that we believe in ourselves."
Clichy and his French colleagues Bacary Sagna and Abou Diaby have been relishing life back with Arsenal.
France crashed out of the World Cup in the group stages after the players had boycotted training in protest.
Diaby said: "At some point we try to forget what happened at the World Cup.
"People expected more from us. Now they want us to show what we can do so it is a really important season.
"We really need to get ready for the season and start strongly

I think he is putting presure on the team to win it

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3071354/Gael-Clichy-Arsenal-must-win-the-Premier-League.html#ixzz0uu9GAKrV

They always have excuses though, the squad is always too young :)

He has every right to say this, but so does everyone else on the team. Arsenal has to be an even stronger team this season, and with Chamakh and a fit van Persie week in week out will hopefully get us some more goals. If Fabregas (if he stays!) can keep up his good goalscoring and assists record, then feeding those two up front will be deadly.

But we still have challenges from United, Chelsea and Man City. And Tottenham are pressurizing us too.

Well at least he seems to believe. A confident player is better than one lacking in confidence.

fair play to him but i just cant see it. i think its gone too long that arsenal have forgot what winning trophies is like.

Can't seem them coming in the top four next season, which is a shame because they do have some great players.. Look at their central defenders and striking options though, not good enough to win against Chelsea and Man Utd or challenge for the title imo.

Not this season, not for a while, City will put a better challenge than them, maybe in 10 years when the likes of Sanchez Watt and Craig Eastmond have hit their peak.

we have to win something
after all the effort Wenger put in

I swear they just keep replacing their youngsters, with more youngsters ergo they are always too young

Another Centre Back and a world class goalie, and we're set.

Don't think they'll win the league, although I think they'll finish top four again.

If RVP can avoid injury, anything can happen.

This.

We went so long without him last season and that really crippled us. I wish we had sufficient depth up front but we do not. So best we can hope for is an injury-free season for RVP.

i dunno why but i can actually see arsenal winning a trophy next season even if its just the carling cup its a start and arsenal fans will propberly be happy with the carling cup after 5 years without a trophy

yer van persie would improve them but essien improves chelsea and a fit rio ferdinand improves man utd etc.

Indeed, doesn't change the validity of his initial statement though. RVP is our greatest attacking outlet, and we all know goals win games - I personally feel he is a bigger/more vital player for us than Ferdinand is for Manchester United and evidently Essien is for Chelsea (as they managed to win the League without him.)

If RVP can avoid injury, anything can happen.

Yeah, he could score more own goals than Jamie Carragher and cost them the title, or he could injure his own players, Heskey style with the same result.

On a serious note though, if Torres avoids injury, then anything can happen for Liverpool too.

Yeah, he could score more own goals than Jamie Carragher and cost them the title, or he could injure his own players, Heskey style with the same result.

On a serious note though, if Torres avoids injury, then anything can happen for Liverpool too.

Indeed, doesn't change the validity of his initial statement though. RVP is our greatest attacking outlet, and we all know goals win games - I personally feel he is a bigger/more vital player for us than Ferdinand is for Manchester United and evidently Essien is for Chelsea (as they managed to win the League without him.)

Back