pkingara

Reaction score
Any tips advice for converting clear cut chances (and half chances)? I am averaging around 4 a game, but probably taking less than one of those.

Some games it seems that the same chance is missed over and over too: a player is put through one on one and then misses the goal entirely.

Any tips/advice really, really appreciated!

Well mate you're creating the chances so other than that I'm not really sure what you can do, other than take a long hard look at the guy who's failing to bury them! Maybe you need somebody more clinical at centre forward, with high level of composure being essential.

- Finishing
- Composure
- Concentration
- Decisions

Your attackers should have these attributes as high as possible if you want see them scoring the most of their chances

I'm having the same issue. Totally dominating games with over 20+ shots, but only converting 1 or 2, sometimes non at all. I have Kane up front, 2 inside forwards and Alli as an attacking midfielder, with work ball into box and look for overlap, playing fairly wide, a quick tempo and fluid movement. I don't know what else I can do.

I'm having the same issue. Totally dominating games with over 20+ shots, but only converting 1 or 2, sometimes non at all. I have Kane up front, 2 inside forwards and Alli as an attacking midfielder, with work ball into box and look for overlap, playing fairly wide, a quick tempo and fluid movement. I don't know what else I can do.
Post your entire setup. The number of shots means very little. The quality of them do.

Last edited:
Post your entire setup. The number of shots means very little. The quality of them do.

I can't access it at the moment. But part of the problem is most of my shots are from just outside of the box. I struggle to get players to thread a pass into the box. But even when I do my players are not putting them away often enough. I have Kane up front, sometimes one inside forward on attack and the other on support. I recently had both IF's on support and they were brilliant, but the next few games they were both useless. I figure that I need to play with plenty of width to stretch the defence, high tempo to catch them off guard, and more fluid to get the players moving around off the ball. I've tried almost everything.

I can't access it at the moment. But part of the problem is most of my shots are from just outside of the box. I struggle to get players to thread a pass into the box. But even when I do my players are not putting them away often enough. I have Kane up front, sometimes one inside forward on attack and the other on support. I recently had both IF's on support and they were brilliant, but the next few games they were both useless. I figure that I need to play with plenty of width to stretch the defence, high tempo to catch them off guard, and more fluid to get the players moving around off the ball. I've tried almost everything.
Sounds like a poor choice of TIs, but again, you need to post all the info.

2 inside forwards , playing fairly wide

I see some of your problem hear. You are asking 2 players to play as inside forwards but you are asking them to tactically play fairly wide. That is extremely contradictory instructions. You need to look at all your tactics and see what you are doing that may be causing your team to self-destruct. Maybe less instructions all together.

I see some of your problem hear. You are asking 2 players to play as inside forwards but you are asking them to tactically play fairly wide. That is extremely contradictory instructions. You need to look at all your tactics and see what you are doing that may be causing your team to self-destruct. Maybe less instructions all together.

This was just something I tried out. Generally I have my IF set to normal, but I tried them out wide and inside to see if it helped. I've attached some screenshots of my usual tactics.

View attachment 91967View attachment 91966View attachment 91965

Struggling to see who's consistently going to score here? Looking at only roles and duties, it should be the wide men, but you've turned them into providers, so who are they feeding for you to score goals? Also seems like you've edited every single position, so who knows what they're doing.

Struggling to see who's consistently going to score here? Looking at only roles and duties, it should be the wide men, but you've turned them into providers, so who are they feeding for you to score goals? Also seems like you've edited every single position, so who knows what they're doing.

Good point. I usually have 2 players on attack, the rest providers. What do you mean by editing every single position?

Good point. I usually have 2 players on attack

You have one, but even he has been blunted a lot, so he's going to be acting a lot more like a Support player and your Support player more like a Defend duty, or Support with Hold Position.

the rest providers. What do you mean by editing every single position?

Your one pic shows a lock icon next to every player, meaning that specific player has special instructions for that position.

You have one, but even he has been blunted a lot, so he's going to be acting a lot more like a Support player and your Support player more like a Defend duty, or Support with Hold Position.

Your one pic shows a lock icon next to every player, meaning that specific player has special instructions for that position.

Ok, I didn't know that. The thing is, going back to the title of this thread, I am creating a lot of good chances which aren't being taken.

I see what you mean. The way I see it, every player is different, so I edit every player depending on their strengths and weaknesses. Are you saying I should have them all set to the same settings for each position? If so, why?

Last edited:
I see what you mean. The way I see it, every player is different, so I edit every player depending on their strengths and weaknesses. Are you saying I should have them all set to the same settings for each position? If so, why?
I was saying that your 2 screenshots give some idea of how you're playing, but you've left out half the information needed to form a complete picture.

I haven't had time to get some screenshots, it's a pain doing it from my iPad. But I took onboard what you said about Player Instructions. I turned them all off and now the goals are flowing. I find it a bit annoying that PI's can affect the players so much, as I don't feel my instructions should affect them at all, but happy I'm winning again. Thanks for your advice.

I haven't had time to get some screenshots, it's a pain doing it from my iPad. But I took onboard what you said about Player Instructions. I turned them all off and now the goals are flowing. I find it a bit annoying that PI's can affect the players so much, as I don't feel my instructions should affect them at all, but happy I'm winning again. Thanks for your advice.

General rule of thumb is that less is more when it comes to TIs/PIs. Aside from the most basic things, only add them after you've played with a tactic and have some experience of what is and isn't working well.

Lol I had the same issue for a long time with Tottenham. I played very narrow with 3 AMCs because the team has no good wingers but good technical players with good movements. I didnt manage to penetrate the defense though even though I had all AMCs moving into channels.
My Solution:
Striker MUST be a false nine! He needs to hold up the ball and come deep so he opens up space for channel movements. Deep lying Forward or any other does hold up the ball but loses it most of the time. False 9 does hold up by dribbling away from the defenders and passes directly in the space behind him. Use Kane for it.
Play on VERY fluid, more direct passing/route one, very narrow, control/attack, roam from pos., be more expressive, if defense very tight, have the extra Player Instruction roam from position for every AMC. Always have PI roam from position for F9.
One AP the other two AMCs should be attacking mids SU as they move the ball quicker.
All AMCs should have 15+ off the ball, first touch, passing, technique, good flair and vision.

Im still figguring out though how to convert clear cuts. Im having so many 1 on 1s with this strategy but they all miss. I actually never score from a direct angle, even though Kane has 20 finishing. It sucks. Mostly score from crosses...I suppose I should try the Place shots PPM.

Hope these tipps will help!

Last edited: