Cracking the top 4

• Thread starter Thread starter SaintMotbot
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 754
  • Views Views 243K
View attachment 990315
View attachment 207111
View attachment 207110
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Van Dijk, Tete, Fede, Slattery, Insigne, Hesketh, Lucas, Martial.

Not the most convincing performance of the season but a good win nonetheless as Lorenzo Insigne poached us the only goal of the game late on in proceedings. We probably shaded what was a very close game and had the better efforts but we were nowhere near at our best. Another tough ground out result.

View attachment 990329
View attachment 207098
View attachment 207097
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Van Dijk, Tete, Maia, Slattery, Insigne, Gotze, Lucas, Martial.

That was the most ridiculous game of football I have ever seen in my life. At 6-2 down, we looked dead and buried and in for an absolute bashing in the papers the next day but we came back superbly with some wonderful goals and brilliant attacking player. Unfortunately we fell just short and City won the match, but we can be seriously proud of our attacking football. Our defence on the other hand was an absolute shambles from the very beginning. Not good enough. Another two goals for Martial is a positive while Lucas continues his amazing run with a further two goals. Van Dijk was the other man to get on the scoresheet.

View attachment 990344
View attachment 207086
View attachment 207085
Starting XI - Horn, Whiteman, Van Dijk, Barta, Chambers, Maia, Slattery, Grealish, Gotze, Lallana, Martial.

A clinical performance from a slightly rotated side as we saw off Fenerbahce at St Marys to claim the perfect 6 wins out of 6 in our Europa League group and qualify for the knockout round effortlessly. Calum Chambers put us a head with a tap in following a well worked corner and then Jack Grealish grabbed our second as we saw the match out with barely any difficulties.

View attachment 990412View attachment 207025
View attachment 207024
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Bartra, Chambers, Maia, Slattery, Insigne, Gotze, Lucas, Martial.

Much better! A superb win against Liverpool lifts us back to the top of the Premier League table. Mario Gotze and Lucas Moura ran the show in midfield with Gotze claiming both goals and Lucas with both assists. Anthony Martial also continued his superb run with yet another goal. A fantastic result considering we were behind fairly early on.

That Manchester City game was insane! Great result against Liverpool aswell, shows how capable your team is. I definately have faith in a top 4 finish this season maybe even more... great to hear that you have extended your contract at the club as you've done a fantastic job so far!

Wow.....just wow

And I'm still only in my first season with Brighton :P but what a cracking story so far, Could very well win the Best game on here :P

Wow.....just wow

And I'm still only in my first season with Brighton :P but what a cracking story so far, Could very well win the Best game on here :P

That Manchester City game was insane! Great result against Liverpool aswell, shows how capable your team is. I definately have faith in a top 4 finish this season maybe even more... great to hear that you have extended your contract at the club as you've done a fantastic job so far!

I have just written that City game off as a freak incident.. not gunna dwell on letting in 6 goals :P its so hard to keep grounded and not let our hopes get too high. Would be so easy to go off on one about winning the league.. which I really dont think we are capable of.

View attachment 990456
View attachment 206992
View attachment 206991
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Bartra, Chambers, Maia, Slattery, Lallana, Gotze, Lucas, Martial.

Goals from arguably our best two players, Lucas Moura and Anthony Martial fired us past a Wolves side that put up previous little resistance. Lucas came out of nowhere for the first goal to tap in when he really couldnt miss. Martial then peeled off his defender and made a superb run before dinking over the keeper for his 23rd goal in 22 matches. Amazing stuff from the Frenchman.

View attachment 990486
View attachment 206964
View attachment 206963
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Chambers, Tete, Maia, Slattery, Grealish, Gotze, Lucas, Martial.

I really thought that we had gone and thrown this one away as we were 3-1 down with just 5 minutes left to play. I hadn't counted on just how stubborn this team we have are. First Callum Slattery popped up to score a stunning volley from the edge of the penalty area and then Lucas Moura broke the offside trap, ran through and beat the keeper deep in injury time. Our first goal of the game was of course scored by Martial who had put us in front fairly early. Defending against the big teams seems to be a sore spot for us, still.. greatly relieved to be walking away with a point!

View attachment 990505
View attachment 206946
View attachment 206945
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Chambers, Tete, Maia, Hesketh, Insigne, Lallana, Lucas, Martial.

The last game of the calendar year was a great success. Lucas Digne chose a great moment to open his scoring account for the club at a time when we were just beginning to look lost for ideas. Adam Lallana then doubled our lead right at the death to ensure that we will be top of the table over new year.

View attachment 990519
December Review

View attachment 206933
Yet another superb month with the only blip being the loss against City in what has to be one of the craziest games every played.
View attachment 206932
Top of the table at Christmas, top of the table over New Years. The signs are looking very very promising as we sit at the top of the pile, already 9 points clear of Chelsea in 5th. It is massively important that we keep ourselves grounded and dont get too carried away with our expectations. One game at a time. Very close at the bottom with just 4 points separating the bottom 8.

View attachment 206930
Real Betis are the test that awaits us in the Europa League first knockout round. Very happy that we will be playing the deciding leg at home.

View attachment 206928
Huddersfield. ****** Huddersfield! Getting really quite tired of playing them in cup competitions.

Player of the Month
View attachment 206927
Lucas has just phenomenal all season and edges out Martial this month in our own player of the month award. He has also been good enough to win the actual Premiership Player of the Month award, with Martial coming in as runner up! well done guys!

View attachment 206926
Also worth a mention is that young Player of the Month award for Callum Slattery!

View attachment 206925

January Preview
View attachment 206923

View attachment 206921
Somewhat unsurprisingly Messi has won the Ballon d'Or again. What is slightly more surprising is that neither Martial or Lucas were even in the discussion.

View attachment 206920

View attachment 990541
I just wanted to take a moment to show off the two brightest sparks in the team.

View attachment 206911
Lucas's stats are what is most impressive. 22 games played, 14 goals, 8 assists and an average rating of 7.99!? he has been insane!

View attachment 206910
Martials stats are just as impressive. 24 games, 24 goals, 8 assists and an average rating of 7.85. You take either Martial or Lucas out of the side and we look so different and not for the better.

Ever since the start of this story you have been doing some impressive work and it looks like you are finally reaping the rewards. I agree that you shouldn't be getting ahead of yourself but a 9 point gap between you and the 5th place is very impressive and increases your chances of finally getting a top 4 finish by quite a big margin. Here's hoping that you can continue your form into the next year!

View attachment 990561
View attachment 206891
View attachment 206888
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Chambers, Tete, Maia, Slattery, Gotze, Hesketh, Lucas, Martial.

We are really starting to land some major blows on our top 4 competition. This time it was Tottenhams turn to roll over and have their bellies tickled as Anthony Martial scored both goals to give us such a massive win. We are now 17 points ahead of Spurs in the table. If they drop many more points then they will be out of the race for the Champions League.

View attachment 206874
View attachment 990579
View attachment 206873
Starting XI - Horn, Whiteman, Tah, Chambers, Tete, Maia, Slattery, Lallana, Hesketh, Grealish, Williamson.

Poor. Do I regret rotating the side so much? No. The FA Cup is not a priority for myself this year. All of our energy is going to be driven into the Premiership and then perhaps the Europa League. Young striker Mike Williamson made his debut for the clu but ended up missing a penalty. This is going to knock the kids confidence but I am keen to stick with him, he has a very bright future ahead. The extra fixture is going to be a real pain in the *** though, and who do we have next in the Premiership? Huddersfield.

View attachment 990581
View attachment 206872
View attachment 206871
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Bartra, Tete, Slattery, Hesketh, Insigne, Gotze, Lucas, Martial.

Better. Huddersfield are such an annoying side to face, they dont give up on a single pass or tackle and they pushed us all the way again despite us dominating chances. Lorenzo Insigne got us into the lead right on the brink of half time, always a superb time to score. Lucas Moura then doubled our lead mid way through the 2nd half and despite Mackie getting a goal back for them, we held out for the win.

View attachment 990589
View attachment 206864
View attachment 206863
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Van Dijk, Tete, Fede, Slattery, Insigne, Gotze, Lucas, Martial.

That was painful to watch as Chelsea landed a major body blow to our recent form. They played us off the park for the entire match and we were found entirely guilty of not having a plan B. Eden Hazard ran riot by scoring two of the goals and then assisted Cesc Fabregas for their 3rd. Improvement needed, we need to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and go again.

View attachment 206852
View attachment 206851
View attachment 206534
Starting XI - Horn, Whiteman, Tah, Van Dijk, Chambers, Maia, Slattery, Grealish, Gotze, Moura, Williamson.

An efficient performance ensured that for the third time in a month, Huddersfield left with nothing as we knocked them out of the FA Cup to advance into the 4th round. The ever reliable Lucas Moura opened the scoring for us just before half time and then a second half brace from Jack Grealish consigned the hosts to defeat.

Last edited:
Back