Darren Bent v Edin Dzeko

timmsy123

Reaction score
With these 2 players joining Aston Villa and Manchester City respectively for sums around £20million just which club has got the better deal?

I know all FM players will come in straight away saying how amazing Dzeko is, yes he may be on your FM sim, but in reality how good is he? I assume many of us have never seen him play, and those that have will no doubt be few and far between.

Darren Bent's big money move to Villa a couple of days ago raised a few eyebrows within the footballing world, and certainly within England as many felt it was a very over-inflated transfer fee. Darren Bent has moved 3 times in recent season's with large sums of money exchanging hands each time making him one of England's most expensive strikers (accumulatively). People may argue that teams have paid over the odds for the player simply because he is English, but what makes City's purchase of Dzeko such a good buy at £27million when he is unproven in the Premier League. Since his move from Ipswich to Charlton, Bent has scored 81 goals in 186 games averaging a goal every 2 games or there abouts.

Edin Dzeko's record is not too dissimilar to Bent's scoring 93 goals in 211 career appearances although arguably in weaker leagues.

So who has got the better deal?

Goal Count (Games):
Dzeko 0 (2)
Bent 1 (1)

Last edited:
Personally, I think Dzeko will score more because he has a much better team around him. Bent will continue to score goals though.

I don't think either Man City or Aston Villa got the best deal ,
I think Sunderland did.

I agree fully with Jack Fulham. With that being said, however, I believe Bent is the better finisher and he is already a proven goalscorer in the EPL as mentioned in the OP.

Man City needed Dzeko to hold the ball and bring everyone into play. Especially someone like Tevez who likes playing off big target man,

Aston Villa needed striker like Bent whose sole purpose on the field is to put the ball behind the net.

So i would say both teams got what they wanted.

I don't think either Man City or Aston Villa got the best deal ,
I think Sunderland did.

Did they? £20million now is much less than they'd receive in the future if Bent's goals had fired them in to Europe. They're replacing him Ricardo Fuller, hardly a prolific goalscorer at this level and they're other striking options are Gyan who is still adjusting to the PL and Welbeck who has talent, there's no disputing that but he is still a student of the game.

And on the other hand for Villa if Bent's goals keep them in the PL and allow them to push on up the table then he will have saved them the potential losses that come with relegation.

In the long term I think Dzeko will be the better deal but it may take him a while to settle into the PL and score regularly while Bent should continue to score

i've watched dzeko play and he is top class. he should be able to cut it in the prem, cos hes physically good, and surprisingly good technically. will need more time to settle in though than bent because he's coming from a different league. i think he'll be worth it in the end though

Darren Bents goals to games ratio is very good, I did'nt realise how good it was until I saw his stats on Sky Sports news. Impressed

Dzeko is fantastic player but I don't think that he can come to EPL and score goals in his first games.need some time to gel in,Bent is good striker but I will go for Dzeko any time no matter that he is from my country

Personally, I think Dzeko will score more because he has a much better team around him. Bent will continue to score goals though.

Do you not think that may have the opposite effect on him? At Wolfsburg he was the pinnacle of there attack, the big fish in a small pond. At City this is not the case, he is not not so much a big fish in a much bigger pond. Tevez has scored the majority of City's goal this season and I think this will continue, wouldn't surprise me if Dzeko's assist's out weigh his goals come the end of the season.

Bent, not for the goal on his debut but for all the goals he's gonna score.
he's a 20+ a season player and they come at a premium- £24million will be worth it in the long run

just as Rio Ferdinand wasn't worth £30million but in the long run he has more than returned that fee

Well are you saying that assists are less valuable to team than goals? Xavi says hi.

Well are you saying that assists are less valuable to team than goals? Xavi says hi.

No I didn't say that and I'm not saying that, I just stated an opinion I didn't say whether it was a bad thing or not.

N.B - Just seen the 'Edin Dzeko' highlights at half time on ESPN and he has looked off the pace so far, but I guess he's got to adjust to the English game.

I think its hard to say right, but they both offer things to the clubs that they didnt have before

I think its hard to say right, but they both offer things to the clubs that they didnt have before

What does Dzeko offer them that Santa Cruz or Adebayor couldn't? They're all target men in roundabout way.

(These aren't necessarily my opinions, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate ^^))

Last edited:
Did they? £20million now is much less than they'd receive in the future if Bent's goals had fired them in to Europe. They're replacing him Ricardo Fuller, hardly a prolific goalscorer at this level and they're other striking options are Gyan who is still adjusting to the PL and Welbeck who has talent, there's no disputing that but he is still a student of the game.

And on the other hand for Villa if Bent's goals keep them in the PL and allow them to push on up the table then he will have saved them the potential losses that come with relegation.
I am pretty sure if they move for Fuller he is just a squad replacement, not start elevn replacement. I dont think there was a place for a Welbeck, a Bent or a Gyan on a bench in a team like Sunderland. I also think that when Welbecks loan is finished I think they'll be forced to invest.

Do you not think that may have the opposite effect on him? At Wolfsburg he was the pinnacle of there attack, the big fish in a small pond. At City this is not the case, he is not not so much a big fish in a much bigger pond. Tevez has scored the majority of City's goal this season and I think this will continue, wouldn't surprise me if Dzeko's assist's out weigh his goals come the end of the season.

During the title winning season under Magath, him and Grafite shared a similar amount of goals so he's more than capable of playing with Tevez. I would hope that the introduction of Dzeko would take some off of the pressure of Tevez to score all the goals as he does. I think they will be a thriving partnership to be honest. However, it will take a while him to adapt to new team mates and new surroundings, unlike Bent who has already played these teams week in week out (except when he bench warmed for Spurs) for Sunderland, Spurs and Charlton.

What does Dzeko offer them that Santa Cruz or Adebayor couldn't? They're all target men in roundabout way.

(These are necessarily my opinions, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate ^^))
Dzeko is a much more complete player, on and off the pitch. he is much better with the ball at is his feet thank rocky, less selfish than Adebayor