Darren Trott's Managerial Journey!

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 272
  • Views Views 53K
View attachment 200909
A chance to secure promotion. Accrington Stanley aren't having a great season and are near the bottom, but well clear of relegation. Not much to play for, I guess. We, however, have a whole to play for.

I wanted an early goal to put pressure on the home side. But the players started like a bunch of sloths and it took us over 10 minutes to get the ball anywhere close to the opposition half. The rest of the first half followed the same tone. Stanley were happy with the way things are going, but I was far from pleased. The lack of intent from the lads was shocking. We're playing for promotion, goddamnit!

I gave a half time teamtalk with lots of anger. My face turned slightly red and I went on a crazy rant. Some were inspired, while some were a bit taken aback.

The second half started off where the first one ended. Slow start with very few chances. Eddie Nolan (RB) and Coulson (AML) were the only bright points in the first hour. And those two combined well to put us ahead in the 68th minute. Nolan crossed from deep and found Coulson making a run to the far post. 1-0 after 68 minutes.

The next 16 minutes were absolute drama. Our goal suddenly woke up the sleeping giants in Stanley as they swarmed forward in numbers. My worst fears came true when Buxton equalized for Stanley. Buxton's run was not picked up at all by our defense. A bit disappointing. 6 mins later, Stanley scored again. Very similar to their first - a ball squared across goal to the runner at the back post.

View attachment 2009062-1 down! But within just 2 minutes, the match experienced another twist as we equalized. Lester crossed from the right wing and just when it looked like the ball was about to evade everyone, Coulson leaped high and headed home brilliantly.

Sadly, that was the last action of the game. The last 5 minutes were largely even between the sides and neither side was able to get the winning goal.

View attachment 200908
One point gained, or two points lost? I don't know. What I do know is that Plymouth won their game today and cut down the gap to 4 points with 2 games left. A chance missed today!
View attachment 200905

View attachment 200870
York vs Bristol: Pre-Match

A lot of people gathered for this press conference. A win in this game would guarantee promotion. There were so many questions about my tactics, how I motivate the players, and such.

I wanted to turn the attention away from the players and make a rather strong statement that'll keep the focus on me. What better way than saying this:
View attachment 200869
I went onto say that there'll be a huge party if we get the promotion. The questions that followed were exactly what I expected: Isn't it a bit too soon to think of celebrating as promotion is not guaranteed...
blah blah blah.

As long as they don't ask about players' form and motivation, I don't particularly care.

View attachment 200868
A chance to secure promotion in front of our home fans! There was significant hype prior to this match. I badly wanted a win to avoid any tension on the last match day of the season.

Bristol started the game very cautiously, and had 5 people at the back. The initial stages of the match proved very frustrating for us as Bristol were resilient in defense. A taste of my own medicine really, as I like to focus on tactics that rely on a tight back line.

We were getting closer to half-time but the scoreline stayed at 0-0. Our midfield build-up just wasn't cutting it today and I asked the players to exploit the wide areas and try pumping the ball into the box to bypass their rear line. A few misplaced crosses later, we struck gold. Chris Lester cut inside from the right and chipped a ball into the box. Reece Thompson beat his man and volleyed the ball into the net. The goal came just minutes before the half-time. At half-time, the score remained 1-0 in our favour,

The second half was a different story though. Briston altered their shape and brought on an extra man in the midfield. Our defense was tested a bit more than in the first half. 10 minutes into the half, we conceded cheaply. Our defense was caught napping as Quinn made a lovely run into our box to equalize.

Back to the grind! After equalizing, Bristol went into their defensive shell once again. Our players were visibly frustrate. I was signalling to the players to calm down and just keep their focus. I made a few changes and passed on a few team instructions - mainly to use the wings a lot more.

View attachment 200866Chris Lester, who assisted the first goal produced another wonderful cross in the 72nd minute. Hugging the touchline on the right side, Lester floated a beautiful cross into the box. Summerfield made a clever run from the midfield and tucked it away from close range. Woohoo, 2-1 up!

I was anticipating a Bristol reply, just like they did after going down the first time. I was right - the next few minutes saw us pinned down in our own half, trying to clear our lines. But a few changes to our our pressing and marking style put the brakes on Bristol attacks and the game became more balanced.

We made sure to see it through till the end. We won the game, and secured promotion.

View attachment 200867

The players were ecstatic and there were wild celebrations on the field. The crowd went equally wild. I was pumped but not as much as the players or the supporters. After all, I have been here only for one season.

There will be a party tonight, that's for sure. A party without rules!!

Last edited:
Very good season for you!! :) This is my fav story! :D So I hope you're doing a looooong save ;) Hope you can avoid relegation :)

thank you for a great story and getting my home town club promoted...championship soon when you get promoted again

Well done mate - good luck in League 1!
Cheers mate! Looking forward to League 1.

You 've done great there my friend !!
Thank you.

Very good season for you!! :) This is my fav story! :D So I hope you're doing a looooong save ;) Hope you can avoid relegation :)
Thank you for the kind words. :) Right now, this is my only active save in FM 16 and it'll keep going for quite a while!

thank you for a great story and getting my home town club promoted...championship soon when you get promoted again
Thank you for your continued support. Next season should be interesting.

View attachment 200749

There has been a lot of press activity around Bootham Crescent following our success in achieving promotion. Everyone involved with the club was interviewed.

The board was pleased:
View attachment 200748
Club legend Andy McMillan was 'over the moon'
View attachment 200747
Club captain Russ Penn came out and voiced his support of me. Penn has been my whipping boy this season and I'm glad that he is behaving professionally by not letting minor issues like that interfere with the larger picture.
View attachment 200746

View attachment 200742
Hang on a minute..

Amidst the celebrations, I've completely missed a very important matter. While our win against Bristol got most of the focus on the last match day, games involving Portsmouth and Oxford didn't get a lot of attention.

Portsmouth and Oxford lost their games (Plymouth lost too, so we would've secured promotion regardless of our result against Bristol).
View attachment 200741
This puts the League Table in an interesting situation with one game left.
View attachment 200740
Any of the top three could still win the league. If Oxford lose, Portsmouth drop points and we win our game, the title would be ours thanks to our superior goal difference. Too many things need to go in our favour, but it is mathematically possible. :P

Although, I'm not counting on it since Oxford and Portsmouth will be playing at home on the final matchday where as we'll be travelling to take on Morecambe. I thought about giving some youngsters a chance on the final day but not anymore. As long as it's mathematically impossible, I'm not ruling anything out. ;)

Final matchday fixtures
View attachment 200739

Last edited:
View attachment 200508
We have to win this one, and hope for Oxford to lose and Portsmouth to drop points in order to win the league. We have a much better goal difference too! The games in focus (besides ours) are:
Oxford vs. Wycombe and Portsmouth vs. Northampton

Before the start of the match, the top three are
Oxford (88 pts)
Portsmouth (87 pts)
York (85 pts)

All right, here we go!

5' Oxford 0-1 Wycombe
Gozie Ugwu puts Wycombe ahead. Good! But the other two games are tied.

19' Morecambe 1-0 York
Careless defending by the lads here. A good cross from our left but no one picked Miller at the far post and he heads it into goal to give Morecambe the lead.

19' Oxford 1-1 Wycombe
******* it! In one minute, two goals go against us. Oxford equalize through their midfielder Callum O'Dowda.

31' Oxford 1-2 Wycombe
A lifeline! Garry Thompson restores Wycombe's lead. The away side are in front.

34' Morecambe 1-0 York
Glorious chance for Coulson but he shoots wide from 10 yards out. He is disappointed with the miss, and so am I. He really should've put it away.

38' Oxford 1-3 Wycombe
Ugwu scores his second and doubles Wycombe's lead. This result is going perfectly for us but we're shooting ourselves in the foot by making costly mistakes against Morecambe. Sigh!

HALF TIME!
Oxford 1-3 Wycombe
Morecambe 1-0 York
Portsmouth 0-0 Northampton

To be honest, we should be level. Coulson and Thompson missed easy chances after Morecambe went ahead. The other two results are in our favour but we're not doing ourselves any good with some poor football. As things stand:

1. Oxford (88 pts) GD: 24
Portsmouth (88 pts) GD: 18
York (85 pts) GD: 32

Half-time teamtalk: I'm off to give the lads a wake-up call. We must turn the game around!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 200479
SECOND HALF

The players reacted positively to my strong half time team talk. I told them to give it all as this is the last game of the season. The whistle is blown, and the second half is underway...

46'
Oxford 1-3 Wycombe
Morecambe 1-0 York
Portsmouth 0-0 Northampton

55' Portsmouth 1-0 Northampton
Hmmm! That's not good. Portsmouth have put themselves in a great position here by securing the lead. With Oxford and us trailing our respective games, Portsmouth are temporarily leading the table.

60'
Morecambe 1-1 York
Reece Thompson with the equalizer! Our first shot on target in the game and it took an hour to produce that. Timely, I must say. Lester turned brilliantly on the edge of the box and his reverse pass found Thompson who placed the ball perfectly.

A draw isn't sufficient for us. Then again if Portsmouth win, our result doesn't matter. But 30 mins of normal time left; anything can happen.

65' Portsmouth 1-1 Northampton
Lawson D'Ath, who scored a wonder goal against us has equalized for Portsmouth. Dramatic stuff.

Oxford are losing, Portsmouth are dropping points. We must find a goal now. It's in our hands now...momentarily, atleast.

71' Morecambe 1-2 York
Voila! Michael Coulson nets us ahead. A typical Coulson goal. Nolan's cross from the right finds Coulson's run to the far post. Coulson makes no mistake and makes amends for his embarrassing miss in the first half.

As things stand, the title is ours.

80' With 10 mins remaining, I brought an additional midfielder to shore up our midfield. We must hold onto our lead here.

82' Morecambe 2-2 York
NO! What did you do, Flinders? Flinders failed to hold onto an easy cross and Miller pounced on the rebound to score. Flinders has been solid all season but he dropped the ball at the worst possible moment. He may just have dropped the title too!

Hyde and Bellamy came onto the pitch. We switched to an ultra-attacking 343 formation now. Everybody was told to push forward.

88' Oxford 1-4 Wycombe
Oxford were being torn apart by Wycombe here. Ugwu gets his hat-trick and Oxford are definitely losing the game.

The Portsmouth game is still level. Unfortunately so is ours with 2+2 mins left.

90+1'
Morecambe 2-2 York
Bellamy appeals for a penalty. The ref waves his protests away. The clock is winding down and I think the title is heading to Oxford despite being hammered by Wycombe.

FT Morecambe 2-2 York
FINAL WHISTLE! Devastated. We had the game in the bag but an 82nd minute equalizer by Miller, who capitalized on a Flinders error ruined our day.

FT Oxford 1-4 Wycombe
FT Portsmouth 1-1 Northampton
Both these results went our way but we failed to make it count. Oxford win the title on goal difference. We finish third. We were celebrating exactly a week ago but now, it's mixed feelings.

Last edited:
View attachment 997894
7th May 2016: Results

View attachment 200467A dramatic end to the season. Oxford players, staff and supporters must have had their hearts in mouths as the games entered the final stages. Fair play to them, they have been consistent for most of the season and won the key games.

The League Table:
View attachment 200465
Our home form and away form look quite similar, which is a good thing. We had the best defensive record in the league and are just one goal behind Plymouth in the most goals scored category.

Overall, it's been a good season with the exception of the final day.

Such bad luck there :( Still did brilliantly to get promotion! :)

Ya, the promotion is great. Considering that it was my primary goal, I am pleased.

To lose it in such fashion...ugh...time to move on, I guess. :)

Great drama mate!! Might not have been the result/s you wanted but it made for one **** of a read!!!

View attachment 200391
York End of Season Awards

View attachment 200390
Russ Penn, James Berrett and Luke Summerfield feature in the midfield and those three have been instrumental in our success this season. I'd have gone with Vadaine Oliver instead of Jake Hyde at the top but Hyde deserves the plaudits too!

Michael Coulson tops the goalscorers list for the club. Of the 19 goals he scored, about 10 of them shared a similar theme. Playing as the inside forward on the left flank, Coulson managed to get on the end of a cross from the opposite flank and scored several goals.

James Berrett has been the unsung hero. He may have won the most player of the match awards, but he never really got the recognition he deserved during the season. Now, people will start to take him more seriously.

Russ Penn never disappoints when it comes to bookings as he picked up 23 yellow cards and 3 red cards. He has been fined twice, warned over a half a dozen times. I guess the amount of hardwork and determination he has comes at a price.

Last edited:
View attachment 997996
Playoffs & League Awards

View attachment 200387
Plymouth win the playoffs and secure promotion. They'll join Oxford, Portsmouth and us in the League 1 next season.

View attachment 200383
Now that the playoffs are over, League 2 has officially ended. The players' Team of the Year has been announced and it features two of our players. Keith Lowe has been a rock at the back for us and Berrett has been our main creative force in midfield.

View attachment 200382
James Berrett has won the Player of the year award, which is very pleasing.

View attachment 199899
Elsewhere in Europe

Time to turn the attention towards the bigger leagues for a moment. Having played majority of my playing time in the Premier League, I've been following it very closely. Man City won the EPL very comfortably, winning by 10 points.

Premier league:
View attachment 199897

Here are the title winners in some of the other popular leagues:

Serie A:
Juventus won the title with almost 2 months to go. Spectacular dominance by the Old Lady.
View attachment 199896
La Liga:
As expected, Barcelona and Real Madrid finished quite a bit ahead of the others. Barcelona did the double over Real, which proved to be the difference in the end.
View attachment 199895

Bundesliga:
No surprises here. Bayern's star-studded side dominated.
View attachment 199894

Champions League:
View attachment 199893
Man City have finally done it. All that spending over the past few years has paid off. The Champions League draws were very interesting. Five fixtures saw clubs from the same country take on each other. Madrid got revenge over Barcelona by knocking them out.

Back