Defoe 'best finisher in England'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 4K
I must say I was thoroughly impressed by Jermain Defoe yesterday (coming from a life-long Arsenal fan mind), but you can't judge him after scoring 5 in one match. If this happened to, let's say, Shola Ameobi, I bet you wouldn't hear Chris Hughton saying that he's the best finisher in England, because - admit it Toon fans - he's not. The best English finisher is without doubt Wayne Rooney. The best finisher in England, in my opinion, is Didier Drogba. Well, against Arsenal anyway lol

But no-one has ever stated that he was the best finisher before. In the past I reckon Shearer and now maybe Rooney or Torres.

I think it's players currently playing so that rules andy cole out. He is probably if not the best near the best english finisher.

I can't mention every good finisher but he was good too.

Hang on Gatid did you call Andy Johnson a good finisher....

Yes why? Ive always thought johnson was a ok finisher at everton anyway. Not sure while hes at fulham aint seen enough of him.

Is he that ****? my bad lol.

When you mention finishers you can't look further than Torres he gets one chance and wraps up a match (Arsenal Champions League 2008 comes to mind) but Defoe spurns too many chances to be considered the best finisher, Van Nistelrooy (love him or hate him (and I hate that former manc)) is the best finisher the premiership has ever seen simple as he can't spell long range shot but he can spell 30 goals a season every season.

Defoe was transfer-listed by the Tottenham in my game.. I know it's just a game, but i would say a player with the calibre of Defoe would deserve better right? anyway I'm still looking out for options for my England team. I have Rooney and Owen.. Should also include Ashley Young, Defoe and Bent right? or anyone thinks Andy(Andrew) Johnson is a better option?

OMG.. think i went out of point.. lol..

On topic: Rooney seems to be the best finisher in England right now.

it'd no doubt be rooney at the moment. but they're both deadly as individuals. the main issue is weather or not they can link up at the world cup?

Not sure if I rate Rooney as a finisher yet, not really seen much of him this season so he may of changed, but in the past he's always seemed to try too hard to score something special instead of simply putting it into the net.

Shows harry is losing his marbles. Not the best finisher in the Prem Bent is the man for that, I also feel that this notion that Defoe can get you goal when you need it laughable yes he has scored 16 goals this season in the Prem (I think clarify please) and 8 came n games where Spurs were on top and the oppostion poor( 3 at Hull and 5 versus Wigan). Yes he does score put I reckon put any striker n the postions he had aganst those teams and they would probably score as well. He only scores when his team carve open the oppostion not whne your chasing a game for an equaliser aganst a better team. Bent can grab a goal on a poor team i.e Sunderland. Bent s best finisher shut your trap 'Arry

Back