Del Piero offers to sign 'blank' contract

I'm pretty sure most city players play for the money, even when they're not playing. (no disrespect)

Legend he is, fantastic player.

I cant see what the problem is about a player publicly admitting he only plays because he is good at it and it's a job like BAE stated. The way Wayne Rooney acted recently only proves he is in it for the money, so what.

I have no passion for my job but it brings in a good wage and I live fairly comfortably from it.

As for Del Piero the real truth of it is Juventus probably wanted to release him on a free but he compromised with the blank cheque so he could stay there. Win Win situation for both.

I cant see what the problem is about a player publicly admitting he only plays because he is good at it and it's a job like BAE stated. The way Wayne Rooney acted recently only proves he is in it for the money, so what.

I have no passion for my job but it brings in a good wage and I live fairly comfortably from it.

As for Del Piero the real truth of it is Juventus probably wanted to release him on a free but he compromised with the blank cheque so he could stay there. Win Win situation for both.

It is not as if Del Piero can't find a new club. He can and earn much better. But he is not interested as he love Juventus.

All credit to Del Piero.

However, I have no problem with footballers admitting they are in it for the money. Football is great and I would love it professionally but the money they earn would be much more of an incentive for me to play. Can set up your rest of your life by playing 15years. BAE was just telling the truth.

Sure Del Piero wouldn't have done this 10 years ago.

Have you actually properly read the article? If you have, then you will see that he speaks a lot of the truth and talks a lot of sense.

"If I play football with my friends back in France, I can love football," he says. "But if I come to England, where I knew nobody and I didn't speak English … why did I come here? For a job. A career is only 10, 15 years. It's only a job. Yes, it's a good, good job and I don't say that I hate football but it's not my passion.

A large proportion of foreign players come over for the very same reason, and if anything I respect BAE for his honesty and aslong as he gives 100% in the spurs shirt then I dont care what his passions are.

El Hadji Diouf?

There's lots tbh.

My point is that you're getting defensive over a Spurs player for no reason... I didn't single him out because he plays for my club's rivals.

To be fair, you don't have 40,000 people in a ground watching and supporting you every week, but I completely agree - Rooney is another example & it's so disappointing that money is taking over football along with super-agents etc.

All credit to Del Piero.

However, I have no problem with footballers admitting they are in it for the money. Football is great and I would love it professionally but the money they earn would be much more of an incentive for me to play. Can set up your rest of your life by playing 15years. BAE was just telling the truth.

Sure Del Piero wouldn't have done this 10 years ago.
Very true, dont see why BAE should be demonised by some about it. Its a job to him as he admits, but one he tries to do at his professional best

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

My point is that you're getting defensive over a Spurs player for no reason... I didn't single him out because he plays for my club's rivals.

To be fair, you don't have 40,000 people in a ground watching and supporting you every week, but I completely agree - Rooney is another example & it's so disappointing that money is taking over football along with super-agents etc.
You tried to single him out as if what he is doing is wrong

Very true, dont see why BAE should be demonised by some about it. Its a job to him as he admits, but one he tries to do at his professional best

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

You tried to single him out as if what he is doing is wrong

I'm not "demonising" him at all. I'm just using him as an example of why it's so disappointing that players play for money, and that Del Piero's example is one to follow & CJ got on my back because he (with no base for his argument at all) that I was basically just trolling because he's a spuds player.

But i have peoples lives in my hand so that makes a big difference than to 40,000 people to entertain.
If anything you should of picked out Cashley Cole than singling out BAE. The way you pointed it out was only going to cause a Spurs fan to challenge you on it.

Last edited:
I'm not "demonising" him at all. I'm just using him as an example of why it's so disappointing that players play for money, and that Del Piero's example is one to follow & CJ got on my back because he (with no base for his argument at all) that I was basically just trolling because he's a spuds player.
How is it disappointing? He has every right to view as a job. Football is a professional game now.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

If anything you should of picked out Cashley Cole than singling out BAE. The way you pointed it out was only going to cause a Spurs fan to challenge you on it.
Well said.Cole jumped ship for more money, while talking about loving the fans etc. BAE never hid it, and made his views and intention quite clear

Have you actually properly read the article? If you have, then you will see that he speaks a lot of the truth and talks a lot of sense.

"If I play football with my friends back in France, I can love football," he says. "But if I come to England, where I knew nobody and I didn't speak English … why did I come here? For a job. A career is only 10, 15 years. It's only a job. Yes, it's a good, good job and I don't say that I hate football but it's not my passion.

A large proportion of foreign players come over for the very same reason, and if anything I respect BAE for his honesty and aslong as he gives 100% in the spurs shirt then I dont care what his passions are.

El Hadji Diouf?

There's lots tbh.

Thats pretty harsh on Diouf, he's one of the most passionate players i've seen.

Players like Del Piero/Totti are once in a generation players for a club, where they stay there entire career, its an incredible achievement that he's 36 and still playing well.

How? Just because he's a Spurs player? I remembered the interview and mentioned it..

How is it disappointing? He has every right to view as a job. Football is a professional game now.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Well said.Cole jumped ship for more money, while talking about loving the fans etc. BAE never hid it, and made his views and intention quite clear

It's disappointing in general, that money is taking over a sport we all love. Fair play to BAE for admitting it, but I made him an example for no other reason than that I remembered the interview. I didn't say anything about Spurs, and I don't think I said it in a particularly provocative way..

Cashley is another example, as is Rooney, as are numerous others.

How? Just because he's a Spurs player? I remembered the interview and mentioned it..

It's disappointing in general, that money is taking over a sport we all love. Fair play to BAE for admitting it, but I made him an example for no other reason than that I remembered the interview. I didn't say anything about Spurs, and I don't think I said it in a particularly provocative way..

Cashley is another example, as is Rooney, as are numerous others.
Money took over the sport the moment it turned professional, thats how it works. BAE has always tried to play at his best, there are players out the who "love the club" etc while shirking their responsibilties. In some ways i admire his honesty. No false platitudes, he just gets on with it and works as hard as he can, givving 100%. I dont see how anyone can be disappointed in that

P.s Rooney still loves playing for the club, but he screwed the pooch buy listening to people who dont have his best intentions at heart, that deal would have made stretford millions

I'm not going to "demonise" anyone here, but some time ago players would play for the fans, for the club, for glory, for the mere colours of their shirts. I understand your point and it's a good one, probably the right one at the moment, too. But I'd certainly prefer that romanticised version of a footballer, who didn't play for a living, but lived to play. And it's good to see Del Piero doing this, it's like taking a look at those times of old, even though I doubt he'd had done this ~5 years ago - although he does state he's earned enough in his life.

I'm not going to "demonise" anyone here, but some time ago players would play for the fans, for the club, for glory, for the mere colours of their shirts. I understand your point and it's a good one, probably the right one at the moment, too. But I'd certainly prefer that romanticised version of a footballer, who didn't play for a living, but lived to play. And it's good to see Del Piero doing this, it's like taking a look at those times of old, even though I doubt he'd had done this ~5 years ago - although he does state he's earned enough in his life.
fair enough, though your last sentence is particular important. he has earned enough so he can afford to do this. like you say he wouldnt have done it 5 years ago.

The are plenty of football who play for the club and the passion, the fact that they get paid for it is a brilliant extra bonus

Rooney still loves playing for the club, but he screwed the pooch buy listening to people who dont have his best intentions at heart, that deal would have made stretford millions

Which brings me back to my point about super-agents & money really taking over football, and perhaps ruining it at times.

I understand your point, but I still don't get why everyone randomly got on my back because I picked out a Spurs player. The example may be wrong, but not because I support Arsenal, or because he plays for Tottenham.

Many players play for money rather than Shirt. That is why players like him are rare breed. So only he deserves all the respect.

He can afford to do so, but in contrast he could have moved out to one of the Arab countries and raked in millions sipping champagne by the pool, like Cannavaro and Radoi etc.