Joss

Reaction score
"Dial Square" is to be my first venture into FM11 stories. Obviously playing with Arsenal isn't the biggest challenge you'll face on the Football Manager series, but it is a little more difficult when you're trying to emulate the real-life tactics used by Arsenal, and Arséne Wenger for the 2010/11 season!

This story will cover my career as Arsenal manager, staying there for as long as possible - or until the blogs come out!

Screenshots:
Fairly obviously, the key player is the captain. Cesc Fabregas has scored 32 League goals in his career, and managed 15 in just 27 appearances last season. Playing higher up the pitch than two years ago, or even last year, he'll be the playmaker, dropping deep and pushing forward to score and assist in numbers.

9Y6Kr.jpg

Arguably the second best player in the squad, and Arsenal's best striker since Thierry Henry graced us with his presence in North London: Robin Van Persie has a huge role to play if he can stay fit and will look to play the False Nine role his former Dutch counterpart Dennis Bergkamp filled so well for so long.

d9Rds.jpg

The squad is a young one and players like Jack Wilshere can find themselves fighting for a first team place at a young age. In Jack's case, at just 18. The tenacious midfielder had a successful loan period at Bolton last season, and will be looking to establish himself in pre-season or he could be joining Owen Coyle and co. again.

Djjv9.jpg

The midfield is incredibly important to the way Wenger likes to play football. All of the midfielders are built on the model of the perfect footballer. Passing ability, versatility, and intelligence on the football pitch. Arguably one of the most important roles is the ball-winner which was occupied by Patrick Vieira and Gilberto Silva so well. Cameroonian Alex Song is a good player, but can't hold the fort on his own and investment may be needed to provide competition.

nP6gT.jpg

Lastly, a high defensive line and suspect positioning at times leaves Arsenal incredibly vulnerable at the back. With no top-class keeper at the club, there's plenty of competition, especially from 20 year old Pole Wojciech Szczesny. For the moment though, Fabianski is number (twenty) one and will try and prevent any Arsenal manager spending in the Summer. Mark Schwarzer and Shay Given have been linked.

jNvK0.jpg

Additional Info:
- Edited database, including attribute changes for Arsenal players (both up and down) and the cancellation of the link between Boreham Wood and Arsenal, which SI still haven't included..
- The Real Arsenal 4-2-3-1 tactic can be found at www.mantralux.com - It is in no way a tactic exploiting the match engine. It has strengths and weaknesses, just as the tactics used by Wenger do and has had a lot of work put into it (by Mantralux and me, who tested them =P)
- I'll be playing the game as realistically as possible - Focusing on youth, looking to control matches with 60%+ and at least 75%+ statistics.
- I've also loaded a large database, with plenty of individual countries and leagues loaded so I should be able to scout for talent all over the world!
- Think that's it, enjoy!

Last edited:
I see you couldn't wait for the blog system ^^) I will be following as always Joss. Good luck

Good luck Joss. :)

Real Arsenal = Great story.

good luck Joss i'm sure you will pwn :)

Thanks Calum, fingers crossed ;)

I see you couldn't wait for the blog system ^^) I will be following as always Joss. Good luck

I'll start a real story, similar to Golyam Oblak (if I don't just continue that..) when it comes out, but no I couldn't! Thanks for the support mate.

Good luck Joss. :)

Real Arsenal = Great story.

Thanks Chris, hopefully I can a little better than the Real Arsenal have been doing lately =P

EDIT: Oh and the OP has been updated with screenshots, and another point or two in the spoiler!

Thanks Calum, fingers crossed ;)

I'll start a real story, similar to Golyam Oblak (if I don't just continue that..) when it comes out, but no I couldn't! Thanks for the support mate.

Thanks Chris, hopefully I can a little better than the Real Arsenal have been doing lately =P

EDIT: Oh and the OP has been updated with screenshots, and another point or two in the spoiler!

You'd hope so. :D

I've tried the tactics. They're great!

If this is half as good as what I've seen from you previously everyone is in for a treat. *subscribes*

How come I missed this!? Great OP, pointing out the main factors of Arsenal's squad. All the best, subscribed ^^)

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! Will have one up tonight!

Looking forward to this much anticipated update Joss, Great OP and should make for interesting reading :)