Dial Square - Joss' Arsenal Story

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 19K
bit unrealistic imo. 20 is only reserved for Xavi and a select few. Iniesta and Alonso are restricted to 19?!

This is exactly the reason why I don't download custom databases.

But other attributes have been decreased to try and balance it out. The 19/20 passes for every player is not to make their attributes more realistic but to achieve the high possession and pass completion rates in-game. Otherwise you simply cannot achieve 65% possession and 80% pass completion as Arsenal do on a regular basis IRL. Other attributes contribute to things like making amazing through balls like decisions, creativity etc. Passing just makes it more accurate to achieve those percentages.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:55 PM ----------

headernf.png

Gunners complete solid pre-season

Joss Bennett's Arsenal side have completed a solid pre-season, playing 8 games and managing to score 21 goals, and winning all but one game. A training ground friendly with some of the club's youngsters in the Reserve side gave Bennett a good opportunity to assess his player's early fitness, and scout some of the hot prospects at the North London club's notorious academy. Club Captain, Fabregas gave Arsenal the lead before debutant Chamakh added the second and last goal of an uneventful game. Standard Liege were to pose Bennett the biggest threat and that match ended in a 2-2 draw.

Arsenalps.png

So with pre-season out of the way, the first test for Bennett's 4-3-3 was to be a relatively easy fixture against new boys Blackpool at the Emirates. A 2-0 win was more than justified for the Gunners, but their free-flowing football only found the breakthrough after half-time. Robin Van Persie scoring after some far from convincing Tangerine defending, firing home having intercepted a pass across the defence. Bennett's confidence in winning the match showed with his bench. Van Persie, starting on the right with Chamakh up front was trusted ahead of Walcott who failed to make the bench. Instead, big man Jay Emmanuel Thomas took the 7th seat on the bench and repayed his manager's faith with a fine team goal on the counter attack to seal victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IBTJpu5_0

Arsenal's final fixtures of the month looked to be far more tricky. A tough away fixture against the blue side of Manchester ended in a 1-1 draw. Nasri put the away side in front with a deft finish following brilliant build up, but Arsenal legend Patrick Vieira smashed home an equaliser which came off the underside of the bar and beat a bewildered Lukas Fabianski. He refused to celebrate. Arsenal faced another former Gunner in Robert Pires and his new side, Aston Villa at Home. The game ended in a 2-0 win for Bennett's side as Fabregas found the net for the first time with a tap in from a Van Persie freekick and Walcott proved the impact player, coming off the bench and bagging a goal late on with a chip which deflected over the advancing Friedel and into the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9jD7ZJSSTI

I'm happy with the way we're playing football. The players are gelling very well and I think it's easier for them to play this kind of football. They're all very technically gifted and we have young players like Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who can come in and do a job for us, so there is no shortage in depth. I've been very happy also with Fabianski, it was a difficult decision to play him ahead of Almunia but he is hard-working and has been playing well in goal.

The new Gunners manager has impressed pundits and fans alike early on despite his inexperience. Bennett has only been at the helm for just less than two months after the man he described as a "legend" and "Arsenal's greatest manager" stepped aside in July to take the position of Director of Football. Wenger said at the time that Arsenal Football Club was very close to his heart, Arsenal fans are sure to be delighted that the frenchman's best years were spent in North London and that he is remaining at the club in a supervisory role for the new manager.

Arsenalaugust.png

Last edited:
Good results Joss.. I :wub: Arsenal stories XD ... Good luck mate

headernf.png

Mixed September for Gunners

Arsenal played six games this month and clearly struggled with fitness and consistency as they crashed out of the Carling Cup in extra time and got their Champions League campaign to a somewhat uneventful start. A tough fixture against a physical Wolverhampton Wanderers side finished in a 0-0 draw as neither side were able to make the most of their chances.There were some positives for the Gunners, however, as Bennett looked to rotate the squad but Squillaci and Denilson looked more than capable filling in for rampaging CB Thomas Vermaelen and Cameroonian ball-winner, Alex Song.

Arsenal got off to a fine start in the Champions League against CFR Cluj as hard-working winger Theo Walcott again came off the bench to devastating affect, scoring a goal with a fine finish before defender Laurent Koscielny doubled their lead. Cadú scored a controversial penalty after Lacina Traore hit the post and Song was deemed to have fouled his man going for the rebound.

An unusually experienced Arsenal side went out to two extra time goals at Molineux in the Third Round of the League Cup before Bennett's side rounded off the month with a 3-1 win against Everton thanks to a Fabregas penalty brace and another Walcott goal, finally earning a start ahead of Chamakh who is yet to score as Van Persie was moved more central. Valencia managed to hold the Gunners to a bore 0-0 draw at the Mestalla, but Bennett praised his team's defensive performance and the opposition keeper.

Arsenalsep-1.png

The best viewing however was to be seen at the Reebok Stadium against former "bogey" side Bolton Wanderers. Arsenal took the lead through captain Cesc Fabregas but were pegged back by Martin Petrov's fine header before Walcott and Wilshere saw the game out. Elmander scored late on but the visitors held on to ****** an important victory.

Arsenal v Bolton - Bitesize Match Highlights

The team are playing with real confidence, I think it is easy for them because this way they enjoy their football. We play a very fluid system meaning that players always have two, three options when they look for the pass and lots have players are contributing with goals and assists. Jack Wilshere has been outstanding, and I am very pleased with Walcott's determination and professionalism - it is easy at a club like Arsenal to be upset when you don't play but he knows that other players are doing well and that he will get his chance, every time he comes off the bench he changes the game for me. It is very encouraging.
New manager, Joseph Bennett speaking to ATVO this month.

Last edited:
Great Update Joss

What hapend in the league cup?

Great Update Joss

What hapend in the league cup?

Cheers. Just didn't take chances tbh then they scored twice in extra time, think one was a pen and Arshavin scored in the 121st minute after we missed a pen

Yeah of course I will mate! interested as to who you are going to sign in january ;)

Yeah of course I will mate! interested as to who you are going to sign in january ;)

Cheers mate, hopefully I won't need to sign anyone as long as everyone's fit!

Match Highlights for Arsenal v Bolton (3-2 at Reebok) are up in the update, check them out.. 3 pretty good Arsenal goals and 2 scrappy Bolton goals ;)

great updates, the goals really do look like Arsenal goals, and Matralux seems to have go the desired effect spot on. Looking forward to your january signings!

Good stuff Joss, the tactics seem to be replicating Arsenal's very realistically. Results aren't too bad so far, the Mestella is a very difficult place to go. Keep it up

great updates, the goals really do look like Arsenal goals, and Matralux seems to have go the desired effect spot on. Looking forward to your january signings!

Good stuff Joss, the tactics seem to be replicating Arsenal's very realistically. Results aren't too bad so far, the Mestella is a very difficult place to go. Keep it up

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming!

Yeah, Mestalla is difficult FPB, but it was such a dull match. Literally nothing of interest happened lol. Yeah, watching the game in full as I did when I was testing the tactics/db it's obvious even early on that a lot of work has been put into the tactic etc. and it really works, triangles in midfield, through balls etc. They even counter attack like Arsenal even though CA is turned off in the TI

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

headernf.png

Gunners begin Winter of [dis]content

Joss Bennett's Arsenal side have finally found some consistency in the month of October as they notched up 5 wins, and 16 points from an available 18 in all competitions. Bennett will be delighted that his team are yet to lose in the league and in Europe, the two competitions which many fans consider to be the most important. Arsenal began the month with what turned out to be an unexpectedly close home encounter against Newcastle as Chamakh grabbed his first competitive goal for his new side since moving to England from French champions, Bordeaux on a free transfer. The Moroccan front man headed a late winner for Arsenal after Andy Carroll, a product of Newcastle's academy, saw his weak penalty saved by Fabianski. Bennett claimed after the match that justice had been done as he felt Sagna's sliding tackle took the ball from Jonas who seemed happy enough to go down under the right-back's challenge.

FREE VIDEO: New signing Marouane Chamakh grabs his first goal in red and white.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfCgSIPiWAo

Chamakh appeared to take real confidence from his late winner at the Emirates, grabbing another goal as the rest of the side fired blanks in a 1-1 draw away to Birmingham with Robin Van Persie dropped to the bench having not found the net since the opening fixture. There was late drama once again as Cameron Jerome turned the ball home in the 80th minute after Arsenal failed to properly clear a corner. In the Champions League, Arsenal showed almost complete dominance in front of their own fans against a strong Schalke side, missing a penalty late on as well as scoring twice in the first half through Andrey Arshavin and Laurent Koscielny.

Van Persie's terrific form against Fulham in recent years gave him a start on the right hand side of Arsenal's formation in the next game, with Chamakh starting up front. The Gunners again showed their dominance but this time failed to keap a clean sheet. Chamakh's backheel found Van Persie in the area, who ended his goal drought with a fine finish, Chamakh doubled their lead after he was found by young international Jack Wilshere, having the composure to dummy the shot before passing the ball past Mark Schwarzer. Clint Dempsey added a late consolation in injury time but the points were already confirmed. Arsenal could have had more if it wasn't for reported Arsenal target, Brede Hangelend who was the away side's best player, making important blocks and interceptions to keep the score respectable.

ArsenalOct.png

In the final game of the month, Chamakh and Arshavin kept up their form. The Moroccan doubled Arsenal's lead after Fabregas scored his 5th goal of the campaign. Chamakh played some part in all of the goals as his driving run on the right hand side led to Sagna crossing the ball and Fabregas sliding it home. Arshavin's skill and strength in the box was a huge part of his own goal, as the Russian passed the ball inside for Chamakh to tuck neatly in the far corner. Finally, he showed his work rate as he dropped deep ready to pick up a clearance from a stoke free-kick on the half-way line. Indeed he did pick it up, finding Wilshere whose delightful ball over the top found Arshavin's run. A beautiful goal was capped by a lovely lob over the goalkeeper as Arsenal scored 3 goals for only the third time under Bennett and earned their first three goal margin over the same period. Fabregas also missed a penalty after Wilkinson was judged to have blocked Arshavin off in the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJg_Q65h4aY

Again this month we have been very good at the back. We kept 3 clean sheets and only conceded 2 goals but scored a lot too. Obviously Chamakh has been the stand out performer this month. I would like to say that is down to me, but it isn't! Now he is just more confident and has gelled in London - it is very positive because he can score all kinds of goals and he never gives up. His goal [against Birmingham] was a good example of this, he chased a long ball and then was in the box to finish the move, and he has scored headers too which is good because it is what we lacked last season. I feel with these extra elements, and with the depth we have in the squad now [with Wilshere in form] that we can finally end the trophy drought and hopefully win the league. We are in a good position [at the top] both in the league and the Champions League. It is very encouraging!

Last edited:
nice update glad you walloped Stoke

Thanks.

What do people think of the layout/length of updates? Any comments/criticism (ADVICE!) welcome! Keep commenting too, great motivation...

Love the story and layout- Just wondering do your match/goal highlights take ages to upload onto Youtube? Mine do, and I'm just wondering if its something to do with my Laptop

Love the story and layout- Just wondering do your match/goal highlights take ages to upload onto Youtube? Mine do, and I'm just wondering if its something to do with my Laptop

Takes about 5 mins for just a goal, bout 10 for highlights usually. Depends on number of goals/quality of video etc.

Very impressive layout and presentation, especially the effort taken with the video highlights. The length is fine (I prefer updates that length and longer, but others may differ depending on whether they enjoy reading so it's a good balance) , and the updates are good quality with your writing also effective. No need to post it in the Game Updates thread as well though! :P

Back