Discussion: Why Are There So Few Black Managers in League Football?

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Fellow FM-Basers,

To those who enjoy listening to BBC Radio 5 Live, you will know that there's an interesting discussion due for the 31st March at 7pm which ponders the question: Why are there so few black managers within the Football League?

Those listening tonight were quized 'how many black managers are there in the Football League?' and the answer was just 2. I'm sure a lot of you would have got this correct, as Paul Ince is a well-known black manager, who is currently managing Notts County. However, I think it's very interesting that out of 94 managers, only 2 are black. In fact, there has only been 3 non-white managers in Premier League history, Chris Hughton (Newcastle), Ruud Gullit (Chelsea, Newcastle) and Tigana (Fulham).

What am I asking you to discuss? Well, it's simple. What are the reasons for the lack of black managers in England? Some of the greastest players to grace English football have been black, but why have hardly any gone on to management, where many white ex-players have? Is it to do with the views upon them if they go into management? Will this number increase in the future, as Paul Ince is encouraging?

Now, i'm encouraging that this discussion stays on topic, and of course, avoid any racist remarks, remember we are all equal. Just discuss the questions I have asked, show your views and maybe attempt to get to the bottom of this strange statistic?

So, share your views about this topic and take part in the discussion.

Thanks,
Kylo

My Opinion is that with the racism flowing around in the 80s and early 90s, it meant that many former pros didnt have the motivation to continue once they finished. It is a shame really, but i think your find more of todays pro going into management and coaching with in the next couple of years.

Fellow FM-Basers,

To those who enjoy listening to BBC Radio 5 Live, you will know that there's an interesting discussion due for the 31st March at 7pm which ponders the question: Why are there so few black managers within the Football League?

Those listening tonight were quized 'how many black managers are there in the Football League?' and the answer was just 2. I'm sure a lot of you would have got this correct, as Paul Ince is a well-known black manager, who is currently managing Notts County. However, I think it's very interesting that out of 94 managers, only 2 are black. In fact, there has only been 3 non-white managers in Premier League history, Chris Hughton (Newcastle), Ruud Gullit (Chelsea, Newcastle) and Tigana (Fulham).

What am I asking you to discuss? Well, it's simple. What are the reasons for the lack of black managers in England? Some of the greastest players to grace English football have been black, but why have hardly any gone on to management, where many white ex-players have? Is it to do with the views upon them if they go into management? Will this number increase in the future, as Paul Ince is encouraging?

Now, i'm encouraging that this discussion stays on topic, and of course, avoid any racist remarks, remember we are all equal. Just discuss the questions I have asked, show your views and maybe attempt to get to the bottom of this strange statistic?

So, share your views about this topic and take part in the discussion.

Thanks,
Kylo

I think over the next 5-10 years we will see an influx of black managers at the highest level. As Scott said it wasnt long ago that racism was a huge part in the game and it may of scared many black men to stay or get into the game.

and the point of that quote was?
On-Topic, I was thinking about this a while back, prob due to racism like scott said.

I don't mean this to be racist, but the era from which most current managers played football was much different to today. Black / African players were generally known for their physical strength and endurance, and not for their tactical or technical prowess. They were dominated by the white majority and told what to do and how to play. I'm sure that with the overwhelming increase in black professionals, there will soon be more black managers coming into the game. Obviously, the issue of racism has been tackled now and there is a greater incentive for every player to stay in the game.

I was thinking about this too, but it's not only in England - around the world the majority of managers are white. What's even more curious - African nations and often teams in several african leagues end up hiring white managers. There are but a few black managers managing at the top level, the first that comes to mind being Kombouare (sp?).

Paul Ince also managed Blackburn in Premier League no?

My thoughts exactly.

From my point of view, it just seems like most black ex-players would prefer to go into TV/Media work or youth coaching. I do believe however, that it'll change over the next decade. I'm sure Rio has already said he'd like to go into management and I wouldn't be suprised if the likes of Seedorf & the Toures went into it either.

in years to come we may see many of the top black footballers become managers such as Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto'o etc. I wouldnt mind seeing many of them as managers.

Give it 10-15 years, and I'm sure there'll be a lot more.

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

in years to come we may see many of the top black footballers become managers such as Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto'o etc. I wouldnt mind seeing many of them as managers.

Drogba as a manager? Oh lord...

How about El-Hadj Diouf? ;)

England is predominantly white, but I suppose not by that much...I guess that had Football in the early 1900's been mainly black players, and white players coming afterwards, it would be the other way around.

They don't get the same opportunities unfortunately.

Something else I saw related to black people in football was Zenit's alleged 'no black players' policy and although this can't be proven and they claim not to be a racist organisation because they have Bruno Alves who is very brown. Wouldn't say he is black though and also they have had I think 2 asian players (from Korea Republic, I think). But, this doesn't mean they aren't racist to black/african players. Hopefully this policy isn't true but ex-manager Vlastimil Petržela claimed that he was going to sign a black player but the board wouldn't let him.

Hope it isn't true because I think they are a great team and I quite like them, but I am completely against racism and it shouldn't be allowed to continue in football.

Last edited:
haha lol I couldn't think of a better way to describe him.

Tanned maybe?

But yeah as most have said already, I think it's to do with the fact that racism existed so much previously that it may have kept them out, but as time has gone on they've been accepted and will start to get into it a lot more now.

Not trying to be stereotypical but black players tend to be more skilful than technical. Some don't have the managing ideas as others. Could you see Heskey as a knowledgable manager? no, maybe, no. He doesn't have a footballing brain, whereas the likes of Gerrard, Giggs and Neville do. Idk tbh, I think Rio Ferdinand will eventually try himself at managing and maybe Sol Campbell. But whoever mentioned Drogba, no he is unlikely to manage in the Prem. ;) :)

Not trying to be stereotypical but black players tend to be more skilful than technical. Some don't have the managing ideas as others. Could you see Heskey as a knowledgable manager? no, maybe, no. He doesn't have a footballing brain, whereas the likes of Gerrard, Giggs and Neville do. Idk tbh, I think Rio Ferdinand will eventually try himself at managing and maybe Sol Campbell. But whoever mentioned Drogba, no he is unlikely to manage in the Prem. ;) :)

But you have picked a target man lump like Heskey and Compared him to a man who worked under fergie for 15 years and skippered his club.

I can quite easily see someone like Verira trying his hand at management for instances.