Do you buy weak players on purpose?

Anlaby7Hull

Reaction score
Right so here's the situation, I started a new game with Leeds on the update by LFCMarshall so there in the Championship.I finished 9th 1st season so I was pretty pleased,I was even more pleased when during Pre-Season I signed Marcelo Zalayeta on a free transfer.However I was talking to my mate about it and he reckons he would have bought a weaker player instead to make it more realistic instead of buying a quality player player for his team.I found this a bit weird,does anyone else buy weaker players to make it more realistic?

Well,when I sold Alex Manninger to Real Madrid in my Juventus save,I only had one goalkeeper - Gianluigi Buffon.

During the transfer period,I was able to coup Guillermo Ochoa and fielded him in a rotational system with Buffon that allowed both players to have around roughly 25-30 games a season in goal,depending whoever had the better average rating.

Since I was worried that there would be the possibility of both Ochoa and Buffon being unavailable,I quickly searched through the transfer market to find a player that would be just like paperweight for the goalkeepers.He was transfer listed,unneeded by his club and looking for a new one.He never played a game.

So to answer your question,yes.

nope. sometimes i like going really random teams and buying unknown players that aren't very good, but will perform well for my team. makes me feel like a professional manager :D

Why would you buy weak players surely if Leeds could sign him they would so why shouldn't you

He's now assistant manager because he couldn't get anymore first-team football and,even so,it would be in very low Italian leagues.

View attachment 95233

Yes.

On my quadruple winning Newcastle team, I had 11 very good first team players and 3 quality substitutes. The other 4 subs were young prospects. There were a couple of other younger players I called on if necessary as well.

However, I was worried about a lack of experienced backup so I bought Corry Evans, Mike Hanke and John Carew on low wages and free transfers. Evans played once and was man of the match. It was pretty useful having decent players there, even if they came nowhere near to Verratti, Keirrison and Gignac!

Yes(ish) - When i play as Arsenal, i try to play like i'm actually Wenger... so i don't go and spend £100m on Aguero, Veratti and Akinfeev. I bought Ozil, and regretting it now, because he isn't play very well.

I would say yes and no. If you can sign quality players then you may as well if they're going to be in your first team. It would unrealistic/stupid to sign bad players on purpose knowing they would be your first choice. However if your squad is low on numbers and you dont have/dont want to spend that much money then you could sign cheap/bad players to fill the gaps and be backup. It's a good idea as they won't care as much that they're not getting regular first team football because they know they're not that good.

In a West Ham save of mine, I had won the League and Champions League about 4 seasons in, and despite having a good keeper (Igor Akinfeev) and backup (Rob Green) for some reason I still snapped up David James for £200k from Portsmouth. To this day I don't know why I did it.....

i know what he means sometimes i think that why don't i buy players who i rate in real life and realistic targets in real life for the club ..... but on the otherhand i think whats the point when you can get the quality you might aswell get it to improve you team more than the relistic target will

No, I tend to do the complete opposite, signing extremely unrealistic players for clubs that they would likely not choose in real-life.

Definitely, I've even got into a habit of signing players by how they would fit into the squad rather than by how good they are. Stupid I know, but I like squad harmony.

Yes.

On my quadruple winning Newcastle team, I had 11 very good first team players and 3 quality substitutes. The other 4 subs were young prospects. There were a couple of other younger players I called on if necessary as well.

However, I was worried about a lack of experienced backup so I bought Corry Evans, Mike Hanke and John Carew on low wages and free transfers. Evans played once and was man of the match. It was pretty useful having decent players there, even if they came nowhere near to Verratti, Keirrison and Gignac!

Bet you wish that was real,eh? ;)

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Definitely, I've even got into a habit of signing players by how they would fit into the squad rather than by how good they are. Stupid I know, but I like squad harmony.

I'm considering starting a save on that after I see where my Juve save takes me.

I mean,look at Sporting Braga - gel in well,have the same kind of attitude and none of them are world-class.

Yeah, especially if I can afford someone like Dzeko or Messi, I won't sign them, as I don't want to be winning each game 10-0, I want some realism, it's what keeps you interested in the game.

I never really do but you could take some weak player up for cheap and try to sell him for more i guess

A real manager would not sign a weaker player so i dont, i get the best player i can afford but i dont buy a player just for the sake of it, only if i need a player other wise i just buy young players in to loan them out or to have a replacement ready for when i get a decent offer for a player.
example being i had otamendi for 5.5m sold for 15million but didnt need to go out looking for a mega star as i had a young regen to bring into the starting line up who at most i payed 2-3million for.

Yeah, sometimes if the player is a legend at the club :)

No, I tend to do the complete opposite, signing extremely unrealistic players for clubs that they would likely not choose in real-life.
basically what i do, i sign players even if im the rival team, i spend more then i should on most players. just to have them...i ten to by my favorite players, or players with names i like...

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

you can get verratti for 300k at the start. Wat are u you talking about? :/
veratti i can never get for 300k they always want 2 to 3 million right off the bat. and thats when im a second division team with only 300k to start with.....