Do you have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 5K
D

Deleted member 79730

This is a question that is coming up a lot in modern day football. Some people believe that to be a good supporter you must go to games regularly, even own a season ticket some people say. But is this view true? I personally find it a very snobby view because some people cannot afford to buy a season ticket. Also i live in America, i lived in england and i loved Manchester City, but because i moved to America and cant attend games does that mean i am stripped of my "true supporter" status?

I would like to hear peoples views on this :)

No.. what does it matter if people think your this 'true supporter'. I'm sorry, i just think that as long as you know your committed to a team, whether you go or not, does it really matter what the **** others think. if it matters that much to you to be a 'true fan', then god help you

Not everybody can afford to see their team play, or get there - I'm on the same boat as you, Joe, only I live a bit closer than you do :P this is bullshit, only the people that go to the games say this because they think they're a bigger fan than others.

Absolutely not. A true supporter is someone who maintains faith and support in their team no matter the location and status of the club.

I think the only way someone cannot be classified as a true supporter , is if they begin to support a team who has recently come into money or achieved success. Those type of people annoy me , it happened when Hull were promoted into the Prem , everybody suddenly became a fan.
However , whatever my own argument is , I can't change what other people do or if they class themselves as a true supporter or not.But in answer to your question , I don't think you have to attend games to be a supporter , just as long as you aren't changing your favourite team every season depending on who won the league.

I wouldn't say so. Getting the chance to see your team can always be hard for a number off reasons. Price, availability etc. I'm lucky I have a season ticket but I know people who are proberly more fanatical about United than I am but won't often get the chance to see them at Old Trafford to other commitments.

People who are in the belief that only "true supporters" go and see there team play are just norrow minded.

I never attended any match, probably never will. But i see myself as true supporter and dont give a **** about what others think as I'm committed to my club for a decade now.

Not at all my friend. I live in Portsmouth and i have supported Chelsea for years, when i was younger i used to go to games reguarly but my mum and dad split up in 2000. My dad went abit crazy and moved away so i had knowone to go to games with but i watched every game that was on TV and from about 2003 onwards i havent missed one game on the net and this inclued our tour of Thiland a few years back when kickoffs where at 2, 4 and 6 in the morning.

I proberly get to 2-3 games a season if that sometimes but everyone who knows me knows how big of a Chelsea supporter i am.

no you don't. I only go to a few games a season mainly cup and pre season games. only really beacuse of the shifts my dad is on at his part time job we don't go down to the emirates as often as i would like to

To be a true supporter you have to stick with your team during the good times and the bad times. How much money you spend has no relevance to how much you support them. But you do need to try your best to watch/listen to your teams games on a regular basis whether that be live at the ground, on TV, on the radio or on a ****** stream that freezes every few seconds even causing you to miss a goal.

I hate people saying they suport a team when they dont even make an effort. I understand that getting to games is hard but there are many ways you can still follow your team and show true support for them.

Edit: Whats the Murphy orogy about?

To add on to what I've said, I'm a Liverpool supporter. But I go to a lot more Sunderland games than I do Liverpool because they're local (and I'm a student without a job, with the only income being my lucky betting streaks on accumulators. XD).

I enjoy watching football, no matter what the team.
****, if I had the chance to go to a Man United game, I would.
I only chose Liverpool to support because of the history of the team, when I was a kid, I was fascinated about reading about their successes in the 70's and 80's. <3

It really depends, I feel sorry for those who can't afford and will never label them part timers if they turned up to a big game.

What irritates me though is, those who can afford to go but choose not to! These people will also come down for the big games. When Rovers played Fulham in the F.A cup a couple of years ago me and Dad struggled to get a ticket due to all the stay away fans claiming their tickets for a nice day out.

In short if you can't afford to attend games - fair enough.
If you can afford but choose not to attend - No excuses imo

Last edited:
Sadly, I barely ever get the chance to go to Liverpool games as I live so far, but I still consider myself a 'true fan', because through thick and thin, I will remain loyal to Liverpool, and that loyalty has been tested like **** recently.

My friend on the other hand, has recently claimed to have stopped supporting Liverpool because "Tottenham are doing amazingly". Now that, is a true glory supporter. But when he heard we are signing Suarez, he jumps right back on the bandwagon. To him I say, you don't deserve to be a Liverpool fan.

It really depends, I feel sorry for those who can't afford and will never label them part timers if they turned up a big game.

What irritates me is though who can afford to go but choose not to! These people will also come down for the big games. When Rovers played Fulham in the F.A cup a couple of years ago me and Dad struggled to get a ticket due to all the stay away fans claiming their tickets for a nice day out.

In short if you can't afford to attend games - fair enough.
If you can afford but choose not to attend - No excuses imo
Also to add to your point, Rovers season tickets are disgustingly expensive considering we lose every week.

Not neccesarily, and it's obviously hard for people like Joe to get to City games, but I think if you can't get to your teams games, you should try and get to some games from your local team if you don't support them.

But if your a true supporter of a team like City/United/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea etc, and they suddenly lose form, then you don't support them as you once did, your not a true supporter, it depends what's in your heart really, because I know people that spend money on pointless things rather than get to games, but if you support a team that lives a million miles away, then you should have a good reason to support them.

I follow a few clubs as you can see, and I live in the states, I catch their games when I can on ESPN3 or their highlights on "OnDemand", but going to their games is almost impossible. I'm not a fan of MLS soccer as it's focused around sloppy long ball play (as a way to create more scoring chances and improve the reputation of the game in america)

But as for true fan, I've had this discussion many times. I don't think there are specific levels of fandom (bandwagon fan, fair weather fan, hardcore fan etc...), but there is more of a gauge that melds all the levels together.

To be honest, you need to look at each individual and judge them on case by case basis. Saying someone isn't an actual fan of a team because they don't have tickets is asinine for a multitude of reasons that I'm sure most of you can easily figure out on your own.

However, I think the people who throw around "I'm a true fan and your not" are just trying to either A. Trying to prove their fandom to other fans B. Are insecure in their own fandom

Most people I've met don't rub it in my face that they are a fan of my favorite team. I'm a fan too, so are thousands of others, you don't need to prove it to me.

My friend on the other hand, has recently claimed to have stopped supporting Liverpool because "Tottenham are doing amazingly". Now that, is a true glory supporter. But when he heard we are signing Suarez, he jumps right back on the bandwagon. To him I say, you don't deserve to be a Liverpool fan.

So amazing that they're getting beaten 4-0 by Fulham. XD
This lad sounds like an absolute ****, to be fair. (A)

No way, who ever thinks that either supports a really **** team and it is pennies for a season ticket or they jsut think they are better than everyone. I live in Dunfermline now (Scotland) and I have always supported boro, do I have a season ticket? No as it is to far to travel every week, does it make me any less of a fan? No i still watch them when they are on TV/Stream listen on the radio for them, but even if I didn't do that I wouldn'y be less of a fan. It is just a stupid view. Like I can't see you Joe getting a plane from New York everyweek to see Man City.

Also to add to your point, Rovers season tickets are disgustingly expensive considering we lose every week.

My Gran brought my ST for me this year cause I had decent GCSE Grades. All the other times I've had to pay 1/2 for my ST. But yes. Rovers are hideously expensive for such a **** club.....

Back