Do you have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 5K
I sort of see where you're coming from, but like me (I live in Wales if you didn't already know) it's very hard to go see Arsenal every week. I'm on a comfortable wage and can afford to go, probably every game if you just count the ticket and ride up, but because I live 200+ miles away and work every other weekend (******* contract) I can't go, but I'm still as loyal as any season ticket holder.

That wasn't having a go at you btw, just harder for some people to get to games who can afford it than others.

Yeah, I see where your coming from as well. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with what I meant - My bad ;). If people work on Saturday's and go to the bigger games, not a problem. Imo that's making the most of your money

You live in Cardiff and support Arsenal, some people may say, "Why don't you support Cardiff". But assuming you've supported the Arsenal all your life, through thick and thin then imo you are a "true supporter".

A true supporter is someone who is passionate about their side and follows their team all the way, trust me my team has had our low points but u just stick with em

I haven't read all the post's as Im not in a reading mood but I don't beleive a true fan has to go to every game, or be a STH because there are people who can't afford to go. A true fan is a fan who will Stick by their club through thick and thin! When they're teams losing they still sing and are a proud supporter and don't shy away, and not only a fan when they win. And sometimes when you do attend games you stay until that full time whistle goes no matter the score. Alot of STH leave early in games just to get home quicker etc so because they have a ST makes them true fans ? not saying it doesn't because they leave but you should stay at a game until the end no matter what. Thats a true fan.

no not at all. ticket prices are making it a lot harder for me to get to chelsea games. I'm a member and have been for 10 years, despite that I have to cough up about 100 quid in travel, accomodation and ticket expenses to go to 1 game. I also have a weekend job and that makes it even ahrder to get to league games which is why the only match I've been able to get to is the spartak moscow game at home.
to the point, no you don't. it's just a case of supporting them through thick and thin.

As long as you're willing to stand alone in a room, like i often do, arguing with your rival's supporters, even tough your club is in the gutter, and when i was younger, willing to fight, you're a true supporter. If you're willing to go to a pub where it's crowded with rival's fans, and still celebrate your team's goals at the top of your lungs, you are a true fan.

I happen to have a season ticket, but even if i didnt, i'd be as a die hard fan as i am now.

Had a convo on a facebook status last night with Sam Charnock's friends and i found their views quite bigoted. They seemed to suggest the exact theory that i am against, one guy stated that because his kids attend games regularly and have been to over 30 stadiums that they are the best fans around and that if you dont attend games you cannot call yourself a true supporter. I want to know what people think of this and if they agree with this theory.

Had a convo on a facebook status last night with Sam Charnock's friends and i found their views quite bigoted. They seemed to suggest the exact theory that i am against, one guy stated that because his kids attend games regularly and have been to over 30 stadiums that they are the best fans around and that if you dont attend games you cannot call yourself a true supporter. I want to know what people think of this and if they agree with this theory.
that theory is a pile of *****. thats all i will say

To say you need to have a season ticket/go to games regularly to be a 'true fan' is ridiculous. I have had a season ticket for my local club for the past 10 years, yet I consider myself to be a Liverpool fan, I do love my local club, and will always attend games if I have the time, granted I only bought the past 3 season tickets because they were in the gutters financially.

To be a 'true fan' it doesn't require money to be spent, mass amounts of time, you support the club you have feelings for, support who you like, for whatever reason, whether that be local, success or family. I've been a Liverpool fan ever since I've liked football, and to label someone not a 'true supporter' for not attending games regularly is ridiculous, they might not be able to afford to go, have other commitments or not be in the mood to watch a game, even. To suggest that makes you seem like a snob and **** right rude.

Will not post my views on this because it is likely I will be slated.

First of all, they're not my mates, they're old enough to be my Dad, and despite me telling them a number amount of times, they didn't know you were from America.

But my mate who was on my status didn't help his cause at all.

has an Arsenal fan i go to about 10 games a season with a supporters club i can not afford it every week has i live in cardiff so i go when i can afford to

I think as long as you have a good excuse, going to games week-in-week-out isn't that important. However, fans who are within a realistic distance (as long as they're not completely broke) should go to every game. Sunderland, for example, have about 15,000 fans watching us from a pub or online via crappy foreign channels and streams, which is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

I think as long as you have a good excuse, going to games week-in-week-out isn't that important. However, fans who are within a realistic distance (as long as they're not completely broke) should go to every game. Sunderland, for example, have about 15,000 fans watching us from a pub or online via crappy foreign channels and streams, which is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Agree with this 100%

And to expand on what I normally say, I understand if your're living in America and can't get to games Joe, I suspect you have a good reason for supporting City, and an even better one for not going too games.

But the reason I get annoyed on Facebook about City/United fans not going to games, is because they live in Stockport, which is a 10 minute train ride to Manchester for less than £10, aren't tickets £10 also for under 16's at City? That's £20 for a few games for the team they supposedly love, I've paid alot more, and I support the worst team in the Football League. Same with United fans, I know it's harder to get too tickets for United games, but come on, they've got Crawley Town at home this weekend, how much a bet they didn't even attempt to get to that game, also I have a mate who was asked if he was going to Southampton away, he replied "Am I heck, **** that lol." - Also another of my mates who supports Leeds, I asked him if he would go to Wembley if Leeds got there - Nah, I'd rather chill at home with a beer." He does not support his club.

I know they're aren't alot of people from Stockport on here, but for County fans it's so frustrating, when we doing well 2/3 years ago we were getting crowds of 7,000, and now we're not doing so well we're back down to 3,000 and we need approx 5,000 to breakeven, and if these glory hunters round Stockport would get down and not making up ***** excuses (such as I support [***] team because my dad does, that's bollocks, support who you want imo.") We'd get more money from tickets, and we wouldn't of been in admin last season and be in a higher division.

Alot of people on here support the Liverpools/United/City/Arsenal and I don't get into arguments about that because I don't know how hard it is to get down there because you might live miles away, but if I was a United fan living in Stockport I'd definitley try, save up money, email the club to reserve tickets etc.

Agree with this 100%

And to expand on what I normally say, I understand if your're living in America and can't get to games Joe, I suspect you have a good reason for supporting City, and an even better one for not going too games.

But the reason I get annoyed on Facebook about City/United fans not going to games, is because they live in Stockport, which is a 10 minute train ride to Manchester for less than £10, aren't tickets £10 also for under 16's at City? That's £20 for a few games for the team they supposedly love, I've paid alot more, and I support the worst team in the Football League. Same with United fans, I know it's harder to get too tickets for United games, but come on, they've got Crawley Town at home this weekend, how much a bet they didn't even attempt to get to that game, also I have a mate who was asked if he was going to Southampton away, he replied "Am I heck, **** that lol." - Also another of my mates who supports Leeds, I asked him if he would go to Wembley if Leeds got there - Nah, I'd rather chill at home with a beer." He does not support his club.

I know they're aren't alot of people from Stockport on here, but for County fans it's so frustrating, when we doing well 2/3 years ago we were getting crowds of 7,000, and now we're not doing so well we're back down to 3,000 and we need approx 5,000 to breakeven, and if these glory hunters round Stockport would get down and not making up ***** excuses (such as I support [***] team because my dad does, that's bollocks, support who you want imo.") We'd get more money from tickets, and we wouldn't of been in admin last season and be in a higher division.

Alot of people on here support the Liverpools/United/City/Arsenal and I don't get into arguments about that because I don't know how hard it is to get down there because you might live miles away, but if I was a United fan living in Stockport I'd definitley try, save up money, email the club to reserve tickets etc.
Some people have families and have better things to spend their money on. Why should all of someones hard earned money go toward a football team?

And to be fair if those guys are men that were debating against me, i feel really sorry for their kids, such idiocy coming from grown men. If they were teenagers fair enough, but to think they have families is worrying.

As long as you follow your team, keep up to date with what's happening, know the players etc then you can't say you're not a true fan. Being 16 I really can't afford to blow £40 on a Leeds match all the time. Only been to 1 match this season which is quite poor but it's annoying paying an adult ticket even thkough Im 16

Back