Do you have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 5K
Joe I love you, You speak so much sense in that OP. A True supporter is not an attender of games, It is someone who is in love with the club and would never stop supporting the club.

Of course not.

I am lucky enough to have a season ticket at OT and would say I am a true supporter, however I wouldn't say to a non season ticket holder you are not a true fan as you don't come to the ground. There are so many reasons why some people can't come to watch their team whether it be price, family, age or where they live. None of this matters, they support who they want and nobody else should care.

Joe I love you, You speak so much sense in that OP. A True supporter is not an attender of games, It is someone who is in love with the club and would never stop supporting the club.

What about someone who loves the club, but doesn't love the management and refuses to give money to people who are running the club into the ground?

no you don't. I only go to a few games a season mainly cup and pre season games. only really beacuse of the shifts my dad is on at his part time job we don't go down to the emirates as often as i would like to
but i do watch all the games on tv and all of the games that aren't on tv i watch on motd

Not neccesarily, and it's obviously hard for people like Joe to get to City games, but I think if you can't get to your teams games, you should try and get to some games from your local team if you don't support them.

But if your a true supporter of a team like City/United/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea etc, and they suddenly lose form, then you don't support them as you once did, your not a true supporter, it depends what's in your heart really, because I know people that spend money on pointless things rather than get to games, but if you support a team that lives a million miles away, then you should have a good reason to support them.

To add on to my point, if you support about 4 teams then I don't think you can support every single one of them.
But say, if you've supported a team like Liverpool for 20 years, through thick and thin, and you live in Liverpool, have the opportunity to get tickets, then don't go, your not really that big of a supporter.

I have a mate at school who supported United, then when they lost form, he stated he supported.... St Etienne..

Pretty much what's already been said. Been supporting Everton since I was 8 (1983), and never had a chance to see any games, as me dad was in the navy so we moved around loads. I was hoping to see me first game next month at St. James Park until I saw I had to pay £65 for one ticket. No way can I afford that when not working, and have family to provide for

Agree with Luke.
'Fans' who only try to go when you are doing well, or in a big game are silly gooses.
What annoys me more are people who support United, but have lived in London their whole life, and so have their parents Etc.

What about someone who loves the club, but doesn't love the management and refuses to give money to people who are running the club into the ground?

Well that is ther choice, I would class them as a true supporter, just cause they dont buy/ own all the expensive merchadise doesnt make them not a true Fan.

I was a Rangers/Bo'ness Utd fan before i was a Newcastle fan, as I lived in Bo'ness for 6 years with my family being Rangers/B.U. supporters, but now that i live in the north east, i support Newcastle that bit more than the other two, however, I would say i am a true supporter of all clubs.

I haven't had a season ticket at Newcastle since we got relegated, and i don't plan on getting one soon, until i can afford one. I watch all the games i possibly can on sky, or online streams, read news on the club, and have conversations about them, because i am a 'true supporter'.

Same goes for rangers, i can't afford a season ticket, and even if i could, i wouldn't travel 200 miles to ibrox every weekend. I have an ESPN subscription, plainly because SPL games get shown regularly on it. When I am in Scotland visiting family, I often get a ticket for a Rangers game.

And my local club Bo'ness United. I have been to more of their matches than the other two put together. I went to every match when I lived in Bo'ness. I even travelled back home from the north east just to see them play a local derby/league decider. When I visit my family, I never fail to miss their game, home or away.

So, you don't have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter IMO.

what annoys me is (i shall use United as an example) people who say they support United but couldn't even point to Manchester on a map and believe me there are plenty of them where I live.

Lets put this in Lower League Terms; The difference between the Occasional Fan and True Diehard Supporter at Argyle..

The Occasional Fan will come; When we play Exeter, A Big Team in the FA Cup, When we are flying in the league. They won't come to any matches on a Tuesday Night when Man United are on Sky- When results are poor, we are relegated, best players signed they protest with their feet and stay at home- They pretend they have nothing to do with Argyle.

True Supporter; Will make an effort to come to every match when possible, will keep the faith whether its Championship, Carling Cup or League 1. Will back the players and manager, and will put Argyle ahead of Man United in the Champions League... Etc Etc, also goes to away games when money and time allows.

What irritates me is though who can afford to go but choose not to!

If you can afford but choose not to attend - No excuses imo

I sort of see where you're coming from, but like me (I live in Wales if you didn't already know) it's very hard to go see Arsenal every week. I'm on a comfortable wage and can afford to go, probably every game if you just count the ticket and ride up, but because I live 200+ miles away and work every other weekend (******* contract) I can't go, but I'm still as loyal as any season ticket holder.

That wasn't having a go at you btw, just harder for some people to get to games who can afford it than others.

Lets put this in Lower League Terms; The difference between the Occasional Fan and True Diehard Supporter at Argyle..

The Occasional Fan will come; When we play Exeter, A Big Team in the FA Cup, When we are flying in the league. They won't come to any matches on a Tuesday Night when Man United are on Sky- When results are poor, we are relegated, best players signed they protest with their feet and stay at home- They pretend they have nothing to do with Argyle.

True Supporter; Will make an effort to come to every match when possible, will keep the faith whether its Championship, Carling Cup or League 1. Will back the players and manager, and will put Argyle ahead of Man United in the Champions League... Etc Etc, also goes to away games when money and time allows.

Totally agree with every word of that, a football club is for life, not just when they're doing well.

Totally agree with every word of that, a football club is for life, not just when they're doing well.

who are you to say that is the rule though.

surely football is entertainment, so why should people pay hard earned money for something that doesn't entertain them?

What if theyre working? or cant afford to go?

who are you to say that is the rule though.

surely football is entertainment, so why should people pay hard earned money for something that doesn't entertain them?

how can you be a true fan, if one day you support southampton, then decide to support arsenal?

how can you be a true fan, if one day you support southampton, then decide to support arsenal?
Thats not what he meant. if city ever played shocking, tony pulis esque football i would not waste my money watching it. I would still support the club but i would not fork out money to watch long ball rubbish

Thats not what he meant. if city ever played shocking, tony pulis esque football i would not waste my money watching it. I would still support the club but i would not fork out money to watch long ball rubbish

Oh, well if I had a season ticket I would definitely.

If I had to pay £20 then I wouldn't.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

twisting words ftl

yeah i didn't understand what you meant

I hate it when you have no link to a club, you just support it because they are doing well. Like 75% of my school supports man utd. The other 29% supporting Spurs and Arsenal. And 1% other.

The thing is that none of them come from Manchester, None of them have any link to Manchester, but they all support Man Utd for some reason. My school is in Tottenham, and still people like Arsenal because they are better. I suppose its not far away, but they chose Arsenal over Tottenham because Arsenal were the better side.

Back