Documentaries

I like Louis Theroux's 'Most hated family in America' about the Phelps family, and westborough Baptist Church.

Suprisingly no one has mentioned Fahrenheit 9 11

View attachment 163463

Urghh, I wondered how long it would take someone to post a Michael Moore documentary. Personally I just don't find them that great, although according to the Good Doctor (Mark Kermode) his latest ones aren't as bad as his older stuff but he still likes he completely ridiculous set pieces.

Add to that it's the most one sided "documentary" i've ever watched.

In light of today's events I decided to watch "The falling man".

Really, really powerful. The whole programme is unbelievable and offers an eye witness style view of those tragic events. Would recommend to all.

[video=youtube;BXnA9FjvLSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU]YouTube - 9/11 The Falling Man[/video]

Is The Falling Man a serious documentary or is it some conspiracy **** like Loose Change?

Louis Theroux, one of the best documentary makers.

I really liked Inside Job and Zidane ofcourse both of them are superb documentaries... if any of you would like to know about the financial crisis but can understand ****, go watch Inside Job it is really good and explains the financial crisis in simple terms which are easy to understand

I really liked Inside Job and Zidane ofcourse both of them are superb documentaries... if any of you would like to know about the financial crisis but can understand ****, go watch Inside Job it is really good and explains the financial crisis in simple terms which are easy to understand

Just watched Inside Job so thought I would give my feedback. The first half or so was good, having studied economics it was good to see the root causes of the banking crisis being put into (excuse the pun) layman's terms. I found, as the documentary went on it simply became (yet another) lot of 'banker bashing' which was disappointing. Had it continued to talk about the financial crisis rather than going for cheap arguments (though there were some valid ones) such as 'Hurr durr bankers sleep with prostitutes they're bad people' then Inside Job would have much more merit to it. Overall, promising at times but somewhat cheap at others.

Just watched Inside Job so thought I would give my feedback. The first half or so was good, having studied economics it was good to see the root causes of the banking crisis being put into (excuse the pun) layman's terms. I found, as the documentary went on it simply became (yet another) lot of 'banker bashing' which was disappointing. Had it continued to talk about the financial crisis rather than going for cheap arguments (though there were some valid ones) such as 'Hurr durr bankers sleep with prostitutes they're bad people' then Inside Job would have much more merit to it. Overall, promising at times but somewhat cheap at others.

Agree with you there... it was biased in the favour of the Government, it was trying to suggest that the bankers were solely at fault while the American Public were victims despite not having any money down and still taking a home loan which they had no means to repay

If you are looking for a clear unbiased account which will be enjoyable I highy recommend Dr Doom Nouriel Roubini's book Crisis Economics where he compares this crisis to ones that took place in yesteryears such as the Great Depression etc.

Agree with you there... it was biased in the favour of the Government, it was trying to suggest that the bankers were solely at fault while the American Public were victims despite not having any money down and still taking a home loan which they had no means to repay

It definitely wasn't biased towards the government. The main point in the Inside Job was that it was caused by de-regulation by the Government which is what allowed the bankers to run wild.

Not quite along the same lines as the others suggested, but I love this anyway....

The F***ing Fulfords ‪F***ing Fulfords part 1‬‏ - YouTube

And here is one of my favorite parts

[video=youtube;evaHEryLaUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evaHEryLaUE&feature=related[/video]

It definitely wasn't biased towards the government. The main point in the Inside Job was that it was caused by de-regulation by the Government which is what allowed the bankers to run wild.

unfortunately, the greed of normal people also caused the crisis when they borrowed heavily out of their means to invest in this speculative bubble such as by buying houses with no money down by taking a home equity loan etc..... yes the Government did make it easier getting credit and did not regulate mortgage lenders but I thought that most people would have enough brain cells to know that they were living outside their means

---------- Post added 16/07/2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 15/07/2011 at 07:11 PM ----------

just to add to this, Deregulation of the financial sector actually had its advantages but unfortunately the bankers were greedy and took advantage of this by making more and more risky loans because they had incentives to do so, read Rajan's paper so its hardly fair to blame the Fed or Paulson fully

Enjoyed Zidane a lot when I saw it, havent seen the inside job yet. Definitely going to though! i found this documentary about how the fashion industry leaders like Esprit clothinghttp://www.zalando.co.uk/esprit are desperate to enter the asian markets.It sounds very interesting.

Last edited:
Currently watching Our War.

Seriously eye opening footage. Makes you proud to be British.

God bless them.

just to add to this, Deregulation of the financial sector actually had its advantages but unfortunately the bankers were greedy and took advantage of this by making more and more risky loans because they had incentives to do so, read Rajan's paper so its hardly fair to blame the Fed or Paulson fully

O'RLY

unfortunately, the greed of normal people also caused the crisis when they borrowed heavily out of their means to invest in this speculative bubble such as by buying houses with no money down by taking a home equity loan etc..... yes the Government did make it easier getting credit and did not regulate mortgage lenders but I thought that most people would have enough brain cells to know that they were living outside their means

---------- Post added 16/07/2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 15/07/2011 at 07:11 PM ----------

Deregulation almost always has economic advantages, it's just up to the competency of policy makers to decide how much is enough. The UK actually started it all, Brown's first act as chancellor was to deregulate them, which caused the US to follow as we wiped the floor with them in competition. People were just stupid to loan money they knew they could never re-pay. The bankers were stupid to loan money they knew they wouldn't get back, quite clearly just passing round toxic debt through the system was eventually going to result in a huge clusterfuck. There are huge factors the government can be blamed for independent of the bankers that is making this recession hurt a lot more than it would. (Overspending, undertaxing).