Driving Insurance Advice.

Callum6821

Reaction score
I passed my driving test on the 8th of March and am looking into getting a cheap little run a round 1-1.2litre, ive looked on comparethemarket.com and the cheapest i could get was £5000 full comp even with doing pass plus, does anyone have any advice on how to get it cheaper? Thanks in advance.

If you're a guy then all you can do is bend over, bite the pillow and get taken to brown town - It's going to hurt.

I just rang every single insurance company and the cheapest I could get was £3,000, sure you can get something similar. Ignore the comparison sites, find out for yourself.

Get one of your parents as main driver (Preferably one with most years no claims) and just have you as a named driver on the policy. Is what I did and went down loads.

Get one of your parents as main driver (Preferably one with most years no claims) and just have you as a named driver on the policy. Is what I did and went down loads.

yer but you don't get no claims yourself this way

Mine was only £1500 when I passed in a 1 litre so surprised yours is that high, but add you parents as second named driver, but make sure you have yourself as the main drive for your no claims!

Fronting. Technically illegal but loads of people do it, I still do it and I'm 22!
Basically someone else (an experienced driver, usually your parents) takes out the policy in their name and you are named as an occasional driver.

If you don't want to go down the illegal route then getting one of your parents to be a named driver on your policy usually brings the price down a bit.

What car are you looking at? Engine size is the not the be all and end all. Diesels are usually cheaper to insure than petrols. A lightweight car with a small engine may be more expensive to insure than a heavy car with a slighltly larger engine.

Also the typical boy racer cars will be expensive to insure no matter what engine size. It might not be cool, but a more boring car will save you money on insurance.

You may also wish to go down the extreme route, certain insurers will give young people a cheap policy provided they don't speed and/or drive at certain times of day or night, usally friday and saturday nights to prevent drink driving.

You prove this to the insurer by allowing them to fit a GPS tracking device to your car, which allows them to monitor your average speeds, and will let them know if you drive at a time you aren't alllowed to. It also doubles as a tracking device if the car gets stolen, which is reassurance for the insurer.

Last edited:
i pay 2700 with aviva with me as main driver and my mum as a named driver on a 60 plate 1.2 fiesta zetec. In my experience Aviva are the cheapest

yer but you don't get no claims yourself this way

Mine was only £1500 when I passed in a 1 litre so surprised yours is that high, but add you parents as second named driver, but make sure you have yourself as the main drive for your no claims!

Some policies offer no-claims bonus to all named drivers.

Also just remembered. Most insurers offer a discount for taking out the policy online. However all insurers prevent first time drivers from actually taking out a policy online. So when you ring the company, insist on your online discount, as it's not your fault they stopped you from using the website.

Some policies offer no-claims bonus to all named drivers.

Also just remembered. Most insurers offer a discount for taking out the policy online. However all insurers prevent first time drivers from actually taking out a policy online. So when you ring the company, insist on your online discount, as it's not your fault they stopped you from using the website.

fair enough on the top bit and didnt know about the online bit! thats strange! also agreed on Aviva I am now with them :)

fair enough on the top bit and didnt know about the online bit! thats strange! also agreed on Aviva I am now with them :)

Happened to both me and a friend of mine. We both got our online discount despite not taking out the policy online.

Last edited:
I use Confused.com and got £900 a year for my 1.2L Corsa, from Admiral.

Advice: Don't drive for a few years, buy a Fiat Cinquecenco, or get a *** change. Or all three. If nothing takes your fancy, pay a lot.

for the car your insuring its nor worth getting fully comp. Get third party and an experience driver added to it (onlt 1 as 2 or more drivers will actually increase it!!!). if you put you will do low miles i.e less than 10,000 miles and have an excess of £1000 you might get it below a grand. Good luck bud...and don't crash...be safe for your first year.
Note...it is no longer cheaper to insure your car in a garage from a driveway etc...my quote went down when i said it was street parking...either way bud insurance is expensive until you hit 30..

where do you live as thats a major factor to and maybe why you are getting crazy quotes..

for the car your insuring its nor worth getting fully comp. Get third party

Is not always the solution. Insurers appreciate that the type of person who only wants to insure their car third party may not be that safety conscious. It is sometimes cheaper to get a fully comp policy as the insurer is reassured that you are going to be taking care.

Is not always the solution. Insurers appreciate that the type of person who only wants to insure their car third party may not be that safety conscious. It is sometimes cheaper to get a fully comp policy as the insurer is reassured that you are going to be taking care.

if you can find fully comp cheaper than third party on a first time driver i will be mightly impressed. When I passed 4 years ago the difference was around £600

arent they trying to get rid of third party all together? thats what i heard anyway.

arent they trying to get rid of third party all together? thats what i heard anyway.

yeah its going to be fully or TFT. To be honest fully comp doesn't cover you for as much as it used to like being able to drive other cars etc..misfueling...

I passed my test in october and im 17 and was paying £3500 a year for TPFF. Then heard that direct line would be cheaper and got a quote on my 1.4 clio comprehensive for only £1100. im just a named driver and in my mums name and was cheap as she has about 9 years no claims but good thing is named drivers also gain no claims :)

I am a named driver on a 1.2L Honda Jazz with my dad as the main driver, who has loads of years no claims. It's only £850 a year with Aviva. Weirdly the price didn't go up even when I passed. Except I can't use it much at all, since it is actually my dad's car and he takes it to work every day. So I don't get the benefits!

If i were you id just get third party fire and theft for your first year or 2. Then you will have driving experience and no claims bonus. And by December 2012 your insurance will become cheaper due to European legislation banning sexism in the insurance federation sector. Go third party for a year as most of the time fully comp isnt worth the extra price.
Im now 22 and my insurance is 700 euro(£550) on a 318 coupe.

Also doesnt hurt to ring around. Price comparison sitees get a commision on your insurance so you will find cheaper.