Elated Murray breaks into top 50

Kris

Reaction score
Andy Murray's maiden ATP Tour title has propelled him into the world's top 50 for the first time in his career.
The 18-year-old's victory over Lleyton Hewitt in the San Jose final lifted him 13 places to 47th and put him within sight of the British number one spot.

Tim Henman, currently the best-ranked Briton, lies in 40th place, three ahead of closest rival Greg Rusedski.

Murray could overtake Henman and Rusedski at this week's RMK Championships in Memphis.

He will move past Henman by matching his older compatriot's performance in Rotterdam.

However, he would have to out-perform Rusedski, who is also in the Netherlands, to be sure of the number one spot.

Murray said consecutive victories over world number three Andy Roddick and Hewitt had given him added confidence.

"It's the biggest moment of my life in tennis so far," said Murray.

Anybody who wins his first ATP tournament and beats guys as good as Roddick and Hewitt is going to have much more confidence.

"I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks. I know now I have a good chance of winning against the elite players."

Murray is the youngest British player in the Open era to capture an ATP title and the fifth teenager to lift the San Jose trophy, joining John McEnroe, Stefan Edberg, Michael Chang and Andre Agassi.

Of those four, only Agassi failed to go on and claim his first Grand Slam title within 12 months.

Bookmakers William Hill have shortened Murray's odds of winning Wimbledon from 25-1 to 16-1 and make him a 10-1 shot to win one of this year's remaining Grand Slam tournaments.

They have also installed Murray as 8-1 to win BBC Sports Personality of Year, in from 40-1 on Friday.

Murray's mother Judy, who missed the San Jose final as she was in Sheffield with her older son Jamie, said Andy had a better chance of progress at the US Open than at Wimbledon.

"There'll be massive expectation at Wimbledon, but you would have to say that Andy plays better on hard courts, so probably his best chance of doing well in a Grand Slam is likely to be the US Open," she told BBC Radio Five Live.

"But he did pretty well last year on grass, so as long as everybody doesn't expect him to win Wimbledon this year, then maybe he's got a shot in the next few years."
As in his victory against Roddick in the semi-finals, Murray's return proved crucial to his recovery from a set down to beat former world number one Hewitt.

The beaten Australian, who was 16 when he won his first ATP title, said Murray stood out from other young talents.

"I guess there haven't been too many 18-year-olds in the last five years or so with that kind of skill," he said.
"He hits the ball extremely well, he mixes it up extremely well. He can dictate when he wants to, but he is also very good on the defence.

"Murray's going to continue to get better and better in the next few years and people will see a lot more of him."

BRITISH PLACINGS
40 Tim Henman
43 Greg Rusedski
47 Andy Murray

Sounds like he is doing well. I never realised Henman was so far down in the rankings though.

I never realised Rusekski was so high.

Watched it live (I think) last night, was having a chug...not over Andy, over Leyton Hewitts burd.

Won't be long before Andy Murray becomes one of the best in the world, he's better than any other English tennis player at the moment.

He will move past Henman by matching his older compatriot's performance in Rotterdam.

:yikes: not bad for a Hibee lol Murray is brilliant for Scottish (british:rolleyes:) sport. Murrays Mound this year at Wimbledon!

Doesn't have the same ring as Henman Hill though. But your probably right :D

Lloyd said:
Won't be long before Andy Murray becomes one of the best in the world, he's better than any other English tennis player at the moment.

good one Lloyd

If you count him as English, that Stevie G is a great Scottish player.

He didn't say he was English, just better than English.

ja

He did call him English. ;)

let just say he's good for tennis..

i didnt really rusedskis was this *good* as well.

Lee said:
He did call him English. ;)

Should of read the whole thread or maybe he edited? Either way I take it back and point the bad reps in a different direction, sorry.

He said hes better than English players,not he is English...

Anyway,Murray did really well to win this one,especially by beating Hewitt and Roddick. He's far better than henman,but he wont win Wimbledon yet

We shall see how he progress' up untill the summer.

ajw said:
He said hes better than English players,not he is English...

Right let me explain. This is what Lloyd said "he's better than any other English tennis player at the moment." The fact that he said other English tennis player is implying that Murray is English aswell because you can't say Roddick is better than any other English player because he isn't English so it doesn't make sense. Understand?

Craven said:
Should of read the whole thread or maybe he edited? Either way I take it back and point the bad reps in a different direction, sorry.

Why cant you just accept you were wrong and move on...how arrogant,,,hoe English.

Andy, he called him English

Gregor said:
Why cant you just accept you were wrong and move on...how arrogant,,,hoe English.

Andy, he called him English

I said sorry but OK, i'll no longer apologize in future when i'm wrong if you are going to ignore it.

Apologising and then blaming it on someone else isnt a real apology.

"Should of read the whole thread or maybe he edited? Either way I take it back and point the bad reps in a different direction, sorry."

The first sentence isn't blaming anybody but myself for not being aware, the second sentence is the bad reps in my direction because i'd bad reped Llyod for confusing a scot with an English beforehand(as a joke). The wording was poor but i'm not blaming anyone else for me being wrong. Sorry if you feel otherwise, not much else I can say realy.

Ignore Gregor he's a ****.

Well he is great for British sport....screw Scotland.

/me Slaps Jessica with a Smelly Fish