Reaction score
Looking on this forum i don't see any MLS stories so i thought it would be fun to make one. I see the MLS as a mix between managing a top league team but with the fun and money control of LLM.

A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER (MLS)

Major League Soccer (MLS) is a professional league representing the sport's highest level in both the United States of America and Canada, with headquarters in New York City. Sanctioned by the United States Soccer Federation (U.S. Soccer), the league is composed of 19 teams?16 in the U.S. and 3 in Canada. Seasons run from March to December, with each team playing 34 games in the regular season with the winner awarded the Supporters Shield. Ten teams compete in the postseason MLS Post-Season Playoffs, culminating in the championship game, the MLS Cup.

Major League Soccer's regular season runs from March to October with its 19 teams playing 34 games in an unbalanced schedule. Teams are divided into the Eastern and Western Conferences. Midway through the season, teams break for the annual All-Star Game, a friendly game between the league's finest players and a major club from a different league.
MLS has three automatic berths in the CONCACAF Champion's League for its American clubs, with an additional spot available via the U.S. Open Cup. Canadian clubs can qualify for a single berth via the Canadian Championship.

MLS TEAMS -

• Eastern Conference
    • Chicago Fire
    • Columbus Crew
    • D.C. United
    • Houston Dynamo
    • Montreal Impact(Canada)
    • New England Revolution
    • New York Red Bulls
    • Philadelphia Union
    • Sporting Kansas City
    • Toronto F.C. (Canada)
  • Western Conference
    • Chivas USA
    • Colorado Rapids
    • F.C. Dallas
    • Los Angeles Galaxy
    • Portland Timbers
    • Real Salt Lake
    • San Jose Earthquakes
    • Seattle Sounders F.C.
    • Vancouver Whitecaps (Canada)

next up, a MLS club appoint me as their new manager and the story will begin....

View attachment 451311

NEW YORK RED BULLS APPOINT PUGH AS MANAGER

Major League Soccer club New York Red Bulls have today announced that Young and unproven English manager Desmond Pugh is to take charge. With a empty trophy cabinet waiting to be filled, New York hope that Pugh is the man to fill it.

NEW YORK RED BULLS BACKGROUND

View attachment 451303

New York Red Bulls is an American professional soccer team based in New Jersey representing the New York Area. The team competes in the Eastern Conference of Major League Soccer (MLS). It is one of the ten charter clubs of MLS, having competed in the league since its inception. The team was a founding member of MLS (1996), but has gone through several name changes. The team was originally known as the New York/New Jersey MetroStars through 1997. From the 1998 season through the 2005 season, the team was known as the MetroStars. On March 9, 2006, the team was sold to Red Bull (Red Bull GmbH - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) leading to the team's current name.

Notable former players include: Juan Pablo Angel (2007-10), Youri Djorkaeff (2005-06), Lothar Matthaus (2000), Rafael Marquez (2010-12), Tim Howard (1998-03) and Claudio Reyna (2007-08)

The team plays its home games in the Red Bull Arena, in Harrison, New Jersey, which opened for the 2010 MLS season. Previously the team played at the Giants Stadium, where they had played their home matches from 1996 until the end of the 2009 season. The stadium was located in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
On November 16, 2007, Red Bull announced that it had purchased full ownership of the project of building a new stadium for the club in Harrison. Red Bull built the stadium without taxpayer money. The team moved to the new stadium, Red Bull Arena, located directly across the Passiac River from Newark, New Jersey for the 2010 season. The new stadium has a 25,189 seating capacity.

next up my squad review inlcuding my transfers...

View attachment 451286

NEW YORK RED BULL SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS

View attachment 451285

Bill Gaudette

Back at the club after being released two years ago, I re-signed him and he will be my first choice goalkeeper, has good reflexes and commands his area well.

View attachment 451279

Luis Robles

Back up keeper has 1 cap for U.S.A. is good at one-on-ones and a good shot stopper, good to have to keep Gaudette on his game.

DEFENDERS

View attachment 451277

Brandon Barklage

American Right-Back yet to be capped by his country. Good tackler and consistently works for the team. He is not automatic to be first choice but will start.

View attachment 451276

Hassoun Camara

French defender who can play centre-back and right-back, released by Montreal Impact and i immediately snapped him up. Good stamina and work rate and dangerous from a set-piece.

View attachment 451275

Connor Lade

Young versatile defender who can play full back either side. Brave in the tackle and like others has impressive work rate.

View attachment 451274

Roy Miller

Costa Rica International and will be first choice left-back. Fast down the left hand side he also provides a good cross and decent long shot for a defender.

View attachment 451273

Jamison Olave

33 year-old towering Colombian Centre-back. Very strong, tackles clean and commands the back four. First choice at centre-back.

View attachment 427029

John Pantsil
Ghanian right-back who brings a wealth of Barclays Premier League experience to the club. He will contend with Barklage for the right-back spot.

View attachment 451272

Ibrahim Sekagya
Uganda captain and towering centre-back to partner Olave. Similar build and attacking ability as Sol Campbell. Completes formidable centre-back partnership.

View attachment 451268

Shavar Thomas
Another defender who was deemed surplus to requirements at Montreal, capped over 30 times for Jamaica he brings solid back-up to the centre-back position.

MIDFIELDERS

View attachment 451265

Zach Barnes

Young American regen found in the D.C. United youth team. Good passer and goal scorer will be used as backup to improve.

View attachment 451263

Michael Bustamente

Back up defensive midfielder who is being tutored to the "Makelele" role. Will get some game time in less important games.

View attachment 451260

Tim Cahill (Designated Player)
1 of 3 designated players and vice captain. Cahill is the playmaker of this team, and his attacking movement and passing will be vital to any success.

View attachment 451259

Ian Christanson

Another young American at the club. Ian is a attacking midfielder and will be shadowing Tim Cahill to improve his ability.

View attachment 451258

Edu

Veteran Brazilian midfielder released by Colorado Rapids. Will provide cover all over midfielder and will provide tutorship to the young guns at the club.

View attachment 451257

Fabian Espindola

Attacking winger and goalscorer, Fabian has pace to burn and always has a trick up his sleeve. Has a reputation in the league of a bad boy so i will look to curb that as best i can.

View attachment 451256

Gilberto

Fast Brazilian box-to-box midfielder, bought to the club via-a-trade and will provide competition for places in the team.

View attachment 451255

Dax McCarty

Most consistent and talented American at the club. Box-to-Box midfielder who will work tirelessly for 90 minutes. Will partner Cahill in midfield.

View attachment 451254

Lloyd Sam

English fans might remember for his time at Leicester. Pacey winger who unfortunately is too injury-prone for my liking. Good person to attack opposition defenders last on though.

View attachment 451253

Mohammed Sissoko (Designated Player)

Second designated player and i am very happy with this signing i have made. Free transfer after being release from Paris St. Germain he will play just in front of the back four in the "Makelele" role.

FORWARDS

View attachment 451252

Thierry Henry (Designated Player), (Captain) & (M.V.P.)

Most important and most talented player at the club. His form will be vital to any championship hopes. Great finisher and will play on the left side of attack.

View attachment 451251

Vincenzo Iaquinta
Veteran Italian striker who will provide fantastic back up to the team, great striker of the ball and always a threat in the air.

View attachment 451250

Ivan Klasnic

Croatian International and first choice striker at the club. Great poacher and will no doubt be leading goal scorer if on form.

View attachment 451249

Bradley Wright-Phillips

Brother of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bradley is a fast poacher of a striker and like Lloyd Sam is injury prone will be used sparingly.

Well thats the squad next post will be pre-season results and first month of the season...​

Good introduction. I can never manage in the MLS on fm because rules and regulations put me off. However an MLS story would be cool to follow. Goooood luck!

Interested to follow this, just to see the draft, i revamped the USA leagues into a 4 tier league system but lost the hard coded draft unfortunately.. so will keep an eye on this.

I wanted to play an MLS career but the draft etc is incredibly confusing.... can you help me out on that by informing?

View attachment 451214

PRE-SEASON RESULTS AND PERSONAL VIEW

New York Cosmos 2-0 New York Red Bulls

For my first pre-season game of three, i decided to put a young team out to see the standard of the youth setup of this club, needless to say it didn't go well. In terms of English standard it was a premier league team playing a league 1 team. i hope that our team cohesion as well as our tactics get better.

San Antonio Scorpions 0-3 New York Red Bulls - (Klasnic 48,52) (Miller 80)

Second game of pre-season went better saw my formation of 4-1-2-3 look good and we comfortably won without breaking stride. My last game i will put my first team in the first half and my reserves in the second half.

Charlotte Eagles 5-5 New York Red Bulls - (Iaquinta 39), (Klasnic 43, Pen 69), (Christanson 51), (Gilberto 75)

Fantastic game for the neutral but not for my defence. Klasnic already has found his feet in this country and i have high hopes for him scoring most of my goals. It was also good to see a couple of youngsters score too.

Mixed results may look indifferent but the team cohesion looks settled and the attacking talent in my team fills me with postives. Klasnic, Henry and Cahill should score most of the goals, whilst Olave should keep things solid at the other end.

The MLS season 2014 looks set to be the best yet. ESPN looks at the season ahead and looks at each club and where they expect to be.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
CHICAGO FIRE
View attachment 451227

Manager:
Frank Klopas (2011)
Top Players: Carlton Cole, Alberto Fernanadez, Joel Lindpiere
Prediction: 5th - Should reach the playoffs especially if New Signing Carlton Cole finds form but the title may be too much.

COLUMBUS CREW
View attachment 451225

Manager: Carlos Valderamma (Dec 2013)
Top Players: Matteo Ferrari, Federico Higuain, Chad Marshall
Prediction: 14th - This is Colombian legend Carlos Valderamma's first job and he may struggle to achieve much with this Columbus side. Higuain needs to score on a regular basis and Marshall will need to "marshal" his defence. Play-offs will be seen as a huge success.

D.C. UNITED
View attachment 451223
Manager: Ben Olsen (Aug 2010)
Top Players: Dwayne De Rosario, Peguy Luyindula, Jermaine Taylor
Prediction: 16th - A season of struggle seems set for united as the squad has been weakened during close-season. New french striker Luyindula arrives from New York to spear D.C.'s attack

HOUSTON DYNAMO
View attachment 451221
Manager: Dominic Kinnear (Aug 2005)
Top Players: Giles Barnes, Ricardo Clark, Andrew Driver
Prediction: 12th - A season of consolidation is on the cards for Dynamo this campaign. Vastly experienced manager Dominic Kinnear could rally his troops to excel and possibly sneak into the playoffs.

MONTREAL IMPACT
View attachment 451219
Manager: Marco Schallibaum (Jan 2013)
Top Players: Marco Di Vaio, Sidney Govou, Alessandro Nesta
Prediction: 4th - Contenders for the championship with a trio of talented european players. Di Vaio will be up near the top of the goal scoring charts, as Nesta should keep things safe at the back.

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
View attachment 451217
Manager: Jay Heaps (Nov 2011)
Top Players: Chad Barrett, Stephen Cherundolo, Saer Sene
Prediction: 17th - Perennial strugglers New England Revolution will more than likely have another poor season. With a lack of depth of quality and no outright goal scorer, Revolution will do well to score in games.

NEW YORK RED BULLS
View attachment 451214
Manager: Desmond Pugh (Dec 13)
Top Players: Tim Cahill, Thierry Henry, Mohammed Sissoko
Prediction: 2nd - One of the favourites, New York with new manager Desmond Pugh have assembled a talented squad and should reach the semi-finals at least, can they win the championship?

PHILADELPHIA UNION
View attachment 451213
Manager: John Hackworth (Jan 2012)
Top Players: Freddy Adu, Sebastien Le Toux, Patrick Owomoyela
Prediction: 11th - Union remain postive they can reach the play-offs despite a leaky defence, May just miss out....just.

Sporting Kansas City
View attachment 451208
Manager: Peter Vermes (Nov 2006)
Top Players: Matt Besler, Stephen Hunt, Graham Zusi
Prediction: 8th - Will reach the playoffs all being well. Kansas has a fine selection of home grown talent at their disposal and with Vermes they have a man who knows the MLS inside out.

TORONTO F.C.
View attachment 451207
Manager: Ryan Nelsen (Feb 2013)
Top Players: Stephen Caldwell, Simon Davies, Danny Koevermans
Prediction: 19th - Despite talent from the U.K. Toronto lack the grit of a homegrown team. Last season they finished bottom. but somehow Nelsen kept his job. This year will be no different.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

CHIVAS USA
View attachment 451206

Manager: Jose Luis Real(May 2013)
Top Players: Carlos Bocanegra, David Carney, Gabriel Farfan
Prediction: 18th - Chivas USA didn't win a single game away last season and look set to struggle on the road again. Lack of firepower up front is their problem.

COLORADO RAPIDS
View attachment 451205
Manager: Oscar Perja (June 2013)
Top Players: Hendry Thomas, Anthony Wallace, Marvell Wynne
Prediction: 6th - The Rapids are a solid outfit in the MLS and look set to reach the post-season. A solid defence is the key and Perja prides himself on cleansheets.

FC DALLAS
View attachment 451204
Manager: Schellas Hyndman (June 2008)
Top Players: Fabian Catillo, Kenny Cooper, Steve Zakuaini
Prediction: 10th - FC Dallas frontman Kenny Cooper has targeted that his goals will take his team all the way, in a realistic world however FC Dallas will do well to reach the post-season.

LOS ANGELES GALAXY
View attachment 451203
Manager:
Bruce Arena (Aug 2008)
Top Players: Landon Donovan, Juninho, Robbie Keane
Prediction: 1st - The team to beat in the MLS. The days of Beckham may be long gone, but with Donovan and Keane, the Galaxy look set to take this year's Championship by storm. Arena may be the key.

PORTLAND TIMBERS
View attachment 451202
Manager: Caleb Porter (Dec 2012)
Top Players: Will Johnson, Donovan Ricketts, Mikael Silvestre
Prediction: 7th - The Portland Timbers are a good solid outfit in the MLS, playoffs is a must for this team but i doubt they will get any further. Veteran Donovan Ricketts has already stated this will be his last season.

REAL SALT LAKE
View attachment 451201
Manager: Jason Kreis (Nov 2007)
Top Players: Kyle Beckerman, Robbie Findlay, Nick Rimando
Prediction: 9th - R.S.L. are always in the mix come post-season and this time shall be no different, however they don't have the wow player to make a difference come the play offs.

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
View attachment 451199
Manager: Steve Nichol (Dec 2012)
Top Players: Alan Gordon, Stephen Lenhart, Chris Wondolowski
Predictions: 13th - The Earthquakes possess a potent attack trio but their defence is the weakness, inconsistent results last term may be result in the same this year. No playoff journey again.

SEATTLE SOUNDERS
View attachment 427181
Manager: Sigi Schmid (July 2011)
Top Players: Clint Dempsey, Brad Evans, Obafemi Martins
Prediction: 3rd - Seattle have a talented squad and if Dempsey can fire on all cyclinders then the Sounders may just be celebrating come October. New York and L.A. Galaxy stand in their way.

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS
View attachment 451198
Manager: Martin Rennie (Jan 2012)
Top Players: Jay DeMerit, Darren Mattocks, Kenny Miller
Prediction: 15th - Vancouver like Toronto look set to disappoint this season, this will be unless Mattocks lives up to his potential. DeMerit can not do it all by himself.

Hope you enjoyed the preview... next up the first couple of months of the season​

Last edited:
Good start bud, like the preview- well written and shows you've done a little research of the league. Would be interesting to see if you could take the reigns of the national team at some point as well.

Good start bud, like the preview- well written and shows you've done a little research of the league. Would be interesting to see if you could take the reigns of the national team at some point as well.

they may be for the future, NY Red Bulls have no trophies so i am keep to become a club legend before moving onto the U.S. National Team

Im guessing out of the massive amount of detail you put into your posts he has found a slight mistake?

I actually don't mind if i have made a mistake, it means he must have read all through my posts to find a mistake, and instead of putting something like -- good story just to let you know on "x" post you put this when i think you mean that he just puts that i made a mistake??

I actually don't mind if i have made a mistake, it means he must have read all through my posts to find a mistake, and instead of putting something like -- good story just to let you know on "x" post you put this when i think you mean that he just puts that i made a mistake??
I dont know i tried to look when i read through the post for a slight name mistake like a Daniel Mattocks instead, meh

anyhoo MLS Season starts in March so should have March and April in the next hour or two, as you can see alot of effort and writing goes into it.

**** me, I point out one thing and this happens. One of the Vancouver Whitecaps players was listed as Dwayne Mattocks, I'm sure it's Darren. Whether that was put in on purpose I don't know or care. I didn't read it looking for mistakes, it popped up. I was enjoying the story. Thanks for mugging me off dude, go **** yourself. Laters

**** me, I point out one thing and this happens. One of the Vancouver Whitecaps players was listed as Dwayne Mattocks, I'm sure it's Darren. Whether that was put in on purpose I don't know or care. I didn't read it looking for mistakes, it popped up. I was enjoying the story. Thanks for mugging me off dude, go **** yourself. Laters

all i was saying was the way you posted it seemed you just showing up mistakes no harm done?

They see me Trolling they Hating. Calm down dear theres no need for that sort of language. :p

View attachment 451101

MARCH 2014 RESULTS & REVIEW

At last, after months of preparing and pre-season friendlies the regular season is upon us. The first game as manager of New York Red Bulls was....

A tricky away tie as my first game, hopefully i can channel any nerves into a positive performance....

A good win to start the season. Both main strikers got onto the scoresheet and i was pleased how the team battled after going behind early. John Pantsil picked up concussion whilst Thierry Henry picked up a slight knock.

After a good start to the season my next game was away again, this time to Canadian outfit Montreal Impact. This would be a step up in quality.

Another game where i won 2-1 but also another game where i had to win the hard way. With Henry out injured Tim Cahill took the armband. We left it very late to ****** the win but Vincenzo Iaquinta stooped at the back post to head home in stoppage time. I must get this team taking the forward step in games in order to control the match.
So 2 wins out of 2 youngster Zach Barnes damaged his knee and will be out of the next game, hopefully get Henry back.

Next up is our first game at the Red Bull Arena and for the second game in a row we face Canadian opposition this time its Toronto F.C.

We seem to be making a habit of hard fought 2-1 wins, this time we got a bit of help with a own goal. Henry's injury had got worse in training so Bradley Wright-Phillips got the nod and impressed with a goal. Tim Cahill impressed and hit the bar twice.

That makes it 9/9 in the league so far great start. We could be making things easier but at the moment points are more important. Now another home game this time we welcomed Houston Dynamo

A bore draw but on the bright side a clean sheet. Luis Robles done well and is impressing during his stint in the first team. Need Klasnic to start scoring though. I am impressed with this unbeaten start and hope this can go on for a while yet. We shall see.

Three Injuries in training see me go into the transfer market to get in Jordan Spence from West Ham on a month's loan. Hopefully the injuries won't hit me too hard as we go on the road to New England Revolution.
With Henry and Barklage ruled out Robles and Barnes carrying slight knocks the disruption of the team didn't go well. The mental toughness of the team was evident in the last twenty minutes when we lost a 3-1 lead to lose 4-3. My first defeat as manager and it wasn't nice i told the squad if they are to win anything they need to stand up and be noticed.

Last game of the month and after our first defeat i was keen to get back to winning ways. We went to the nation's capital Washington D.C., to play D.C. United.

Our first win with a clean sheet, in a match we dominated from start to finish. At last i am starting to see the potential of this team. Cahill scored a goal and Sekagya scored a bullet header from a free-kick. We can look forward to April with optimism. 1st in the conference and 1st overall is a brilliant start. 12 out of 18 points not bad at all​