Bladesman1963

Reaction score
Flushed with the success of my first tactic, the strikerless Tick Attacker, which got The "Mighty" Blades promoted to the Premier League, I decided I needed something a little different as an alternative to keep us there!

So I read up on Pellegrini's philosophy and tactics and here's what I came up with!

Though still in it's infancy, it's looking pretty good! A 100% record in pre-season, beating some decent teams in the process, with the team being far from fluid with the tactic.

View attachment 433036

So here's the tactic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnzfxvno5bdsdy1/PELLEGRINI.tac

View attachment 433056

It's not 4-2-2, as most of the pundits would have you believe. Since when have Silva and Nasri been wingers????

It's more of a 4-2-2-2. The term Pellegrini uses to describe the wider midfielders is "Interiors". The width for this system is provided by the Wing-Backs.

So, let's have a look at the individual players.

Goalkeeper - Sweeper Keeper

View attachment 433055

Obviously Joe Hart, famed for his fantastic decision making when rushing out!

Wing-Backs

View attachment 433050

Set on automatic, with an instruction to get further forward.

Central Defenders

View attachment 433048

One set to stopper and the other set to cover, a la Kompany and Nastasic.

Defensive Midfielders

View attachment 433047View attachment 433046

One sitting DM...Fernandinho and one more offensive DM....Yaya!

Interiors

View attachment 433045

Silva and Nasri.

Strikers

View attachment 433044View attachment 433043

The classic combination of Deep Lying Forward....Aguero and the Advanced Forward.....Negredo.

In conclusion, the tactic seems to produce a remarkably similar style to what we're witnessing with City at the moment. It's early days for my lot though and I don't know whether I dare be so cavalier in the regular season against the "Big Boys"!

Here's some stats from a few of the games played so far.

View attachment 433040View attachment 433039View attachment 433038

If you decide to give it a go with this tactic, please let me know how you get on and feel free to offer suggestions and tweaks to improve it.

Last edited:
Flushed with the success of my first tactic, the strikerless Tick Attacker, which got The "Mighty" Blades promoted to the Premier League, I decided I needed something a little different as an alternative to keep us there!

So I read up on Pellegrini's philosophy and tactics and here's what I came up with!

Though still in it's infancy, it's looking pretty good! A 100% record in pre-season, beating some decent teams in the process, with the team being far from fluid with the tactic.

View attachment 469983

So here's the tactic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnzfxvno5bdsdy1/PELLEGRINI.tac

View attachment 469938

It's not 4-2-2, as most of the pundits would have you believe. Since when have Silva and Nasri been wingers????

It's more of a 4-2-2-2. The term Pellegrini uses to describe the wider midfielders is "Interiors". The width for this system is provided by the Wing-Backs.

So, let's have a look at the individual players.

Goalkeeper - Sweeper Keeper

View attachment 469940
View attachment 469935

Obviously Joe Hart, famed for his fantastic decision making when rushing out!

Wing-Backs

View attachment 469951

Set on automatic, with an instruction to get further forward.

Central Defenders

View attachment 469955

One set to stopper and the other set to cover, a la Kompany and Nastasic.

Defensive Midfielders

View attachment 469958View attachment 469961

One sitting DM...Fernandinho and one more offensive DM....Yaya!

Interiors

View attachment 469964

Silva and Nasri.

Strikers

View attachment 469965View attachment 469968

The classic combination of Deep Lying Forward....Aguero and the Advanced Forward.....Negredo.

In conclusion, the tactic seems to produce a remarkably similar style to what we're witnessing with City at the moment. It's early days for my lot though and I don't know whether I dare be so cavalier in the regular season against the "Big Boys"!

Here's some stats from a few of the games played so far.

View attachment 469975View attachment 469977View attachment 469980

If you decide to give it a go with this tactic, please let me know how you get on and feel free to offer suggestions and tweaks to improve it.
Good op apart from the The "Mighty" Blades Aka Pigs
well done though

Tried this tactic out, 3 wins from 3, 10 goals scored and only 1 let in! Great job

I'll try your tactic with Man City and will post some results later.Cheers!

Yeah downloaded no problem but when i try to import it ays cannot import this file

Are you guys downloading it from the Dropbox link? Because there is a PELLEGRINI.tac link in between the the tactics, but it doesn't work, and isn't even the same tactic as the one in OP

Are you guys downloading it from the Dropbox link? Because there is a PELLEGRINI.tac link in between the the tactics, but it doesn't work, and isn't even the same tactic as the one in OP
Yes , I downloaded it from dropbox

I don't know what that is and how it got there! I'll get rid of it if I can to save confusion!

How does this hold up with Navas factored into it?

How does this hold up with Navas factored into it?

It is designed around the usual starting 11. I guess that if you were actually playing with the current Man City squad that Navas would have his own personal instructions to always play as a winger, which is what usually happens when he comes off the bench.

It is designed around the usual starting 11. I guess that if you were actually playing with the current Man City squad that Navas would have his own personal instructions to always play as a winger, which is what usually happens when he comes off the bench.

I'll give a go see how the tactic plays as the rotation comes into play.

I'll give a go see how the tactic plays as the rotation comes into play.

I've noticed that players in my squad who are natural wingers tend to play more like wingers than APs even without their own personal instruction, which I guess would be logical in a real life situation.

I've noticed that players in my squad who are natural wingers tend to play more like wingers than APs even without their own personal instruction, which I guess would be logical in a real life situation.

Yeah, i presume most woud have hug line, and runs down... .. side as PPM's anyway.