youngmanger

Reaction score
After England went crashing out of the Euros, I took a long hard look at the old guard, the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Rooney, Johnson, and I thought "who the **** are these guys?". I've been saying it for two years, England need to start over. Pick young players, give them experience, make them a team, and ****** win something for a change! So that's what I aim to do in this story. Win the World Cup or the Euros. Hopefully, we will be the best.
I will do updates on my squad picks, results, groups and so on. Feedback, constructive criticism, anything like that would be great. And my first questions to all you guys is " should I pick Rooney?" and "who should be captain?"
ENJOY!!! :D

23-MAN VS SQUAD LIST FOR 1ST FRIENDLY MATCH VS ARGENTINA:

GOALKEPPERS:
Joe Hart, David Stockdale, Fraser Forster

DEFENDERS:
Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole (c), Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, Phil Jagielka, Kyle Walker, Micah Richards, Ryan Shawcross

MIDFIELDERS: Jack Rodwell, Gareth Barry, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Aaron Lennon, Scott Parker, Ashley Young, Tom Cleverley

FORWARDS:
Gabriel Agbonlahor, Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney

The media have seen this as me resting "stars" like Downing, Ferdinand, and Lampard. To the media I say this: Downing wouldn't be a star at Yeovil (sorry Yeovil fans), let alone England. John Terry is a first class w*nker that will not play for England again. Lampard is just a has been. I see Shawcross as the future captain of England, he is a talented, strong, commanding young centre-half. The Ox will be ripping up wings for the next 20 years. Rodwell will be our engine. Cleverly will be our creative master. Welbeck and Agbonlahor is a long-term partnership that I hope to continue for the next 8-10 years. That is the plan. Let' hope that it works.

**INJURY ALERT**
Rooney injured for 3 weeks. Have picke Sturridge a his replacement.

Last edited:
Why don't you have Phil Jones over Jagielka (getting on a bit) and you must be mad having Barry in! He is awful I think, get Huddlestone in or play Jones at Def Mid. Sturridge in over Milner too...

Jagielka is 4 star reccommended by my assistant, Jones is 4 star potential. I like Jagielka, and I need someone experienced in a team full of young players. Fair enough on the milner thing. I like Barry, he anchors the midfield well but Rodwell will take that role in the coming games. Sturridge is a striker, simple as, if he does get in the quad that is where I'll play him

I just assumed as you were picking young players then Jagielka would be out. I'm certain Terry and Gerrard are ranked 4* if not more so going against your own rules basically. But yeh, fair enough on the experience.

Depends on what formation you play but he plays class as an inside forward. Pace is the key attribute as a winger and Miler doesn't offer much, just average in all departments.

After England went crashing out of the Euros, I took a long hard look at the old guard, the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Rooney, Johnson, and I thought "who the **** are these guys?". I've been saying it for two years, England need to start over. Pick young players, give them experience, make them a team, and ****** win something for a change! So that's what I aim to do in this story. Win the World Cup or the Euros. Hopefully, we will be the best.
I will do updates on my squad picks, results, groups and so on. Feedback, constructive criticism, anything like that would be great. And my first questions to all you guys is " should I pick Rooney?" and "who should be captain?"
ENJOY!!! :D

i know what you mean but you have to admit terry,gerrard and johnson were pretty much our best players in that tournament

i know what you mean but you have to admit terry,gerrard and johnson were pretty much our best players in that tournament

Maybe over 4 games they were, but not long term. England need to know how to get on without the old guard.

1ST INTERNATIONAL MATCH
ENGLAND 2-1 ARGENTINA
ROONEY (2)
We put in a great performance. Rodwell was a beast in midfield, and didn't let Cambiasso pick passes or run with it. We took the lead when Cleverley bombed past Zabaleta and crossed it in for Rooney who had a tap in. After 40 minutes Rooney scored again. The Ox beat his man, got in a shot but had it parried away , and Rooney was there to pick up the scraps and get the eventual winner. Messi scored a 86th minute penalty but it proved to be just a consolation. Well done England.

I just assumed as you were picking young players then Jagielka would be out. I'm certain Terry and Gerrard are ranked 4* if not more so going against your own rules basically. But yeh, fair enough on the experience.

Depends on what formation you play but he plays class as an inside forward. Pace is the key attribute as a winger and Miler doesn't offer much, just average in all departments.

Mate, I am picking young players, but I'm also picking unproven players that deserve a chance. Jagielka was up against a league winner and a ******* in the centre defense at the euros, he'd have never got in. I just don't want the same old england. that is the idea

JT has been the best England CB for years!! You clearly just have a personal problem with him and want to ignore his clear talent as a footballer. Bit silly

u sed out with the old u still got cole,berry,lennon

Pointless story really

I don't understand everyone moaning about this squad. He's picked who he wants to pick, get over it

u sed out with the old u still got cole,berry,lennon

Pointless story really
Cole is the best left back in the world mate, I have to pick him. Lennon is still young and he hasn't had a proper chance. Terry has had his chance, he's played at Euro 2004, world cup 2006, world cup 2010, euro 2012, and what has he accomplished? **** all. and maybe terry has been englands best CB for years, but he's not going to be around forever. The aim is to gradually make it a team complete with youngsters, not throw them in straight away. It doesn't work like that. But in my next few squads, I will guarantee no-one over 30 will be in the squad.

EURO 2012 QUALIFIER
BULGARIA 2-2 ENGLAND
OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN, ROONEY
We should have won that match. It was the old guard that made the mistakes, with Cole letting in Petrov for the first equaliser. Substitute Parker gave away a free kick on the edge of the box with Stylian Petrov smashed home for the second equaliser. I can't belive we let two leads slip. Oxlade-Chamberlain scored a nice goal though, volleying home from a Rooney cross. Rooney put us 2-1 up when he was put through by Rodwell, but we just couldn't defend a lead. Very dissapointing.

EURO 2012 QUALIFIER
ENGLAND 2-1 WALES
WELBECK (2)
We played well today, getting the morale-boosting win that we wanted. Welbeck was in good form, both of his goals came from Rooney through balls that he slotted into each bottom corner. Their goal came from an own goal by Gary Cahill, as a Robson-Kanu cross deflected off him and past Joe Hart. this was the line up.

Joe Hart
Micah Richards Phil Jones Gary Cahill Leighton Baines

Adam Johnson Tom Huddlestone Jack Rodwell Alex Oxlade-C

Wayne Rooney Danny Welbeck

23-Man SQUAD LIST FOR MATCH VS MONTENEGRO
GOALKEEPERS:
Joe Hart, Jack Butland, David Stockdale

DEFENDERS:
Kyle Walker, Micah Richards, Leighton Baines, Kieran Gibbs, Gary Cahill, Ryan Shawcross, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling

MIDFIELDERS:
Tom Cleverley, Tom Huddlestone, Jack Rodwell, Gary Gardener, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott, Matt Phillips

STRIKERS:
Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Gabby Agbonlahor, Nathan Delfouneso*

Just in case you'd like to know, the average squad age is 22, and the oldest player on the team is 26

*Sturridge got injured so Delfouneso replaced him

If you ask me you it looks like you're looking for the sack sure if I play England I mix the Old Guard with fresh talent but playing some of these players is really just blind.

If you ask me you it looks like you're looking for the sack sure if I play England I mix the Old Guard with fresh talent but playing some of these players is really just blind.

well, I wasn't asking you, and don't write me off yet, and if I do terrible at the Euros I will hold my hands up and say "Do you know what? You were right, I was wrong". But until then, at least give us a fu8king chance!

I know everyone is criticising this but I see what your plan is for the England team. Don't let them pressure you into picking a team that is too young. Take gogogo golem's advice and mix the old guard with the young. I recently did an England save and got to the Final of the Euro's and Cofederations Cup by gradually bringing in young players but sticking with a few of the old guard as the foundations of the team. Gerrard is key in midfield and Milner is very good on the wings. I stick with you on the Terry front though I did have him partnering with a younger talent like Shawcross during the Euro's before ditching him after. I began bringing in the young talent more during the World Cup qualifications and it seemed to work.
Keep it up though. I will be following :).