• Views Views 23K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike.

Reaction score
Sunderland's Jordan Henderson poised for first England call-up
• Henderson omitted from England Under-21 squad
• '£20m is not enough to sign him,' warns Steve Bruce

Jordan Henderson is in line for his first call-up to England's senior squad ahead of next Wednesday's friendly with France.

Like Blackburn Rovers's Phil Jones, Newcastle United's Andy Carroll and Arsenal's Jack Wilshere, the Sunderland midfielder has been left out of Stuart Pearce's England Under-21 party for Tuesday's game against Germany in Wiesbaden.

Henderson, 20, is rated by his club manager, Steve Bruce, as "the best young British footballer there is". Capable of playing wide on the right or in central midfield he is on the radars of both Chelsea and Manchester United.

"Jordan is the brightest young prospect in the British game," said Bruce. "He's a fantastic footballer and he has got the world at his feet. He's got the lot. Jordan has everything you need from the modern-day player – he has a lovely feel for the ball but he's also 6ft 2in and has terrific energy."

When Sunderland drew at Blackburn recently 10 Premier League managers from others clubs convened at Ewood Park, all watching Henderson. "If someone like Real Madrid comes in and offers us £30m we've got a problem," said Bruce. "But Jordan's not for sale. I've seen stories talking about potential £20m bids for him – but £20m would not be enough."

England squad for the international friendly against France at Wembley on Wednesday, November 17:
Foster (Birmingham), Hart (Man City), Green (West Ham); Gibbs (Arsenal), Cole (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Jagielka (Everton), Lescott (Man City), Richards (Man City), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Smalling (Man Utd); Walcott (Arsenal), Wilshere (Arsenal), Young (Aston Villa), Gerrard (Liverpool), Barry (Man City), Johnson (Man City), Milner (Man City), Henderson (Sunderland); Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Bothroyd (Cardiff), Carroll (Newcastle), Crouch (Tottenham).

Last edited:
Hopefully this is correct, I would love to see those four in the England team, we need to work on bleeding in our youth players in friendlys.

I don't think he is ready yet. I think Jarvis deserves more of a call-up than Henderson

I dont think he is ready yet, I dont mind seeing Wilshere and Caroll though

even if all these young players don't get any game time they will still gain invaluable experience of being able to train with the national side and some of the best players in the world

Although I accept I'm going to be bias, I think it's a bit unfair saying he's not ready. He, along with Carroll, Wilshere and Jones, is playing first team football in the Premier League, and doing well on a regular basis.

why is he not ready capello should drop some of the regulars and maybe start him with wilshere imo its only a friendly

evryone has been complaining about not using youth now he wants to and people are saying hes not ready?

evryone has been complaining about not using youth now he wants to and people are saying hes not ready?
totally agree you just need to look at brazil, france & germany etc they are bringing young players through and it seems to be working for them apart from france i think fabio needs to start calling on younger players more and giving them a chance instead of calling them up just to sit on the bench

Good news. Henderson's class, and he will gain good experience training with the England team.

Is he really worth 20million. If utd spent 20million plus on this geezers, i for one would be ******.

Steve Bruce is obviously just saying he is worth that sum to scare away potential suitors.

He has not fulfilled that sum yet. However it is possible that if he were to improve and become a regular England international I could see him possibly rising to the value of £15 million. I wouldn't say anyone would buy him for that ridiculous sum.

Is he really worth 20million. If utd spent 20million plus on this geezers, i for one would be ******.

I think it's more a case of Bruce just boosting his confidence than Bruce actually meaning it. I think all the names mentioned above should be called up, but none of them started. They are ready for some England minutes, but not ready to be relied upon in the first 11

Squad in full

Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart;
Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Chris Smalling, John Terry;
Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;
Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jay Bothroyd, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch.

Jay Bothroyd

Good for him. Hope he takes his chance well.

Squad in full

Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Chris Smalling, John Terry;
Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;

OMG, boothroyd?

Squad in full

Robert Green is back?!

Reckon the starting XI should be;

Hart
Richards Jagielka Smalling Gibbs
Walcott Henderson Wilshere A.Johnson
Carroll Agbonlahor​

Nice to see smalling in there. XD Hope he actually gets some time on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back