England squad for Euro double-header

• Thread starter Thread starter CtPauley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 90
  • Views Views 6K
Im a big fan of Huddlestone! I agree, there is nobody else England do have which is the reason they will never win a major trophy. No depth nor quality in certain areas. I wouldn't want to depend on James Milner in a game against one of the top seeded nations.

really not as simple as that, apart from the fact we have players out, its not how they look on paper, but how they perform.

perfectly good trio there, its a step for Cleverley but if he can continue his United start, he is more than capable. Parker is a very good player, and Rooney is simply one of the best 10's on the planet

really not as simple as that, apart from the fact we have players out, its not how they look on paper, but how they perform.

perfectly good trio there, its a step for Cleverley but if he can continue his United start, he is more than capable. Parker is a very good player, and Rooney is simply one of the best 10's on the planet

To be honest, Parker is so over-rated. Fair enough, he is a quality player. But its the team he's playing for, he looks good playing for West Ham. He was never anything special at Newcastle or his short stay at Chelsea. Any player can look good in a poor team. Much like Francis Jeffers when he played at Everton and Mateja Kezman at PSV. Good players can look good when playing alongside poor players.

Rooney is the best player there, hands down. I certainly wouldn't like to see Cleverley in my starting 11. Such a fuss is being made of him this season, its easy to look good when your playing for what looks to be an astonishingly good United side.

To be honest, Parker is so over-rated. Fair enough, he is a quality player. But its the team he's playing for, he looks good playing for West Ham. He was never anything special at Newcastle or his short stay at Chelsea. Any player can look good in a poor team. Much like Francis Jeffers when he played at Everton and Mateja Kezman at PSV. Good players can look good when playing alongside poor players.

Rooney is the best player there, hands down. I certainly wouldn't like to see Cleverley in my starting 11. Such a fuss is being made of him this season, its easy to look good when your playing for what looks to be an astonishingly good United side.

Sorry, but the bit about Cleverley is nonsense, since his passing and movement has actually been key to how we've been playing. Thats why we've looked so good. Parker isnt over rated either, very tidy for England, wins tackles and makes the short accurate passes, exactly what he's supposed to do. He is a big part of the reason we're "astonishingly good"

Everton are playing poorly and arent a great side, so we shouldnt pick jags then by your thinking with Parker? And yet we both know that we should be picking Jags. Just because he plays for west ham doesnt mean he isnt good enough, stood out against every side he played

Last edited:

Rooney is the best player there, hands down. I certainly wouldn't like to see Cleverley in my starting 11. Such a fuss is being made of him this season, its easy to look good when your playing for what looks to be an astonishingly good United side.#

So it's easy to look good in a poor team, but also easy to look good in a good side? Parker is the best destroyer in the current squad, I'm not sure who you would have replace him? Cleverley is inexperienced and maybe somewhat a gamble but he has started off the season well and deserves to be there.

Who would you select in midfield if not Cleverley and Parker?

So it's easy to look good in a poor team, but also easy to look good in a good side? Parker is the best destroyer in the current squad, I'm not sure who you would have replace him? Cleverley is inexperienced and maybe somewhat a gamble but he has started off the season well and deserves to be there.

The only question mark is on Cleverley but if he plays like he has been for United, its a no brainer.

Sorry, but the bit about Cleverley is nonsense, since his passing and movement has actually been key to how we've been playing. Thats why we've looked so good. Parker isnt over rated either, very tidy for England, wins tackles and makes the short accurate passes, exactly what he's supposed to do. He is a big part of the reason we're "astonishingly good"

Well i stick with what i said. If you take a CM partnership of Cleverley and Parker.. compare that to of the top 10 ranked countries in the world. Not even close. On paper and how they play is just not good enough for a nation that always has expectations beyond its ability.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Read my first post and you would know. I said they may be the best they can play, but that doesn't take away the fact that they are mediocre to average. Why would you want a 'destroyer' and an 'inexperienced' CM partnership. That won't be the case though, Capello will start Barry.

Well i stick with what i said. If you take a CM partnership of Cleverley and Parker.. compare that to of the top 10 ranked countries in the world. Not even close. On paper and how they play is just not good enough for a nation that always has expectations beyond its ability.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Read my first post and you would know. I said they may be the best they can play, but that doesn't take away the fact that they are mediocre to average. Why would you want a 'destroyer' and an 'inexperienced' CM partnership. That won't be the case though, Capello will start Barry.

Except Cleverley isnt mediocre and neither is Parker.
You can stick with what you say, we've clearly just poked big holes in it.

IMO I beleive we are a top class side, It's just we need a good old school motivational english coach, such one who leads by example........bring back Venables, even Hoddle!???????

Not the whole nation. Only the stupid media and some fans that get carried away. I think most people on here would agree admit we are way off the level of Spain/ Germany etc. Not everyone thinks England should be winning every tournament.

Remember that is not our strongest midfield trio. We have some players to come back eg Wilshere/ Thudd. It is only for these two games, and it should be more than enough to cope with Wales and Bulgaria.

Not the whole nation. Only the stupid media and some fans that get carried away. I think most people on here would agree admit we are way off the level of Spain/ Germany etc. Not everyone thinks England should be winning every tournament.

Remember that is not our strongest midfield trio. We have some players to come back eg Wilshere/ Thudd. It is only for these two games, and it should be more than enough to cope with Wales and Bulgaria.

Indeed. We all know about Parker, and Cleverley performed against City, Spurs and Arsenal. If he plays the same way he will cause all sorts f trouble

he has averaged 50 passes per game, with a 91% accuracy. Possession

Except Cleverley isnt mediocre and neither is Parker.
You can stick with what you say, we've clearly just poked big holes in it.

I disagree. Cleverley has played 4 games for United and people are ramping on like he's a superstar. He was on par at Wigan, be honest.. coming into the United team he has Nani, Young, Welbeck and Rooney etc making him look good.

Wilshere will be a starter when fit, the real question will be his partner. And being an Italian it will undoubtably be a defensive midfielder like Barry who Capello seems to like.

I disagree. Cleverley has played 4 games for United and people are ramping on like he's a superstar. He was on par at Wigan, be honest.. coming into the United team he has Nani, Young, Welbeck and Rooney etc making him look good.

Wilshere will be a starter when fit, the real question will be his partner. And being an Italian it will undoubtably be a defensive midfielder like Barry who Capello seems to like.

Clearly you have no idea then, cos he wasnt playing central for Wigan.... he is for United, and where do you think the supply for the those players comes from? Him, average 50 passes a game with 91% accuracy, fufilling the role of the passer perfectly so far. Never heard so much nonsense. How can they make him look good, when he's the one giving them the ball?

If he keeps it up he will have more than enough for the next two games. As for the bold, every top side fields a defensive player alongside the creative one, its called protecting the back 4

Last edited:
Clearly you have no idea then, cos he wasnt playing central for Wigan.... he is for United, and where do you think the supply for the those players comes from? Him, average 50 passes a game with 91% accuracy, fufilling the role of the passer perfectly so far. Never heard so much nonsense. How can they make him look good, when he's the one giving them the ball?

I give up this argument because its obvious we both have very different opinions which won't be changed. Also, you can make lots of passes when you pass to the defence or to others when they come deep for the ball.

I give up this argument because its obvious we both have very different opinions which won't be changed. Also, you can make lots of passes when you pass to the defence or to others when they come deep for the ball.

Except he is passing forwards. so that argument falls down, he is find them in space and in the opposition 3rd

But we're not playing top 10 countries. We're playing Bulgaria, and Wales.

Scott Parker 2010/11: Apps 32, goals 5, assists 2, Tackles pg 3.78, passes pg 45.1, key passes pg 1.25, interceptions pg 2.59

Who would you play instead of those 2? It's alright saying they're not good enough for a top 10 game, what choice do we have? It's not like if we lose Xavi, we have Fabregas to call up. You play the best we have, and those 2, at present time, are it. Plus Cleverley already has a sound relationship struck up with Rooney - who will most likely be pivotal to the game - Did you ever think Cleverley is part of the reason United look so good right now? Wilshere is terrible too, he's made to look good and carried by Arsenal's pretty football. Amirite?!

Well that's just not true. You can, sure, but he hasn't. Go look at Guardian chalkboards, it's a nice spread of passes he's been playing.

Indeed. We all know about Parker, and Cleverley performed against City, Spurs and Arsenal. If he plays the same way he will cause all sorts f trouble

he has averaged 50 passes per game, with a 91% accuracy. Possession

I didn't realise it was that high, that's impressive. Could be exactly what we need given our usual inability to keep possession. If those stats are anything to go by, he is a very suitable candidate for that role. He and Rooney/ (Young if he plays) should be able to link well together as they have been playing for United together this season.

United have began to build a real core of young English players, bodes well for this summer if they can continue their fine form.

It's crucial for England that Cleverley keeps supplying those passes. Especially against Tottenham in the first part of the match he just wasn't there. He picked up his game later on, but England isn't as strong as Man Utd.

Dunno why we're arguing about this, it's elementary. Capello's obviously going to start Lampard and Barry in midfield, Andy Carroll up front with Adam Johnson behind him on the wing, and Lescott at the back.

Back