• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Stuart Pearce has announced the provisional squad for the U-21 Euro championships. The most notable inclusions being Jack Wilshere, and Andy Carroll, which could potentially spark a club vs country row with Arsenal and Liverpool respectively.

Wilshere and Carroll named in England Under-21 squad | talkSPORT

I know that we should be sending the best squad available, and start to try to win trophies, but is sending Wilshere a good idea, bearing in mind his age, and he will have played a lot of games and may need a rest? Can't decide, but I guess this country does need to start winning tournaments, and I suppose on the flip side, it would be good for Wilshere, as he has a winning mentality, and has said it would be good for him. However, if he's already played quite a few games for Arsenal, surely he should be considered more for the senior squad?
Overall though, looking at the provisional squad, that will obviously be whittled down, it does look pretty strong to me.

Last edited:
Full squad for finals in Denmark (June 10-25):
Fielding (Blackburn), Loach (Watford), Steele (Middlesbrough), McCarthy (Reading), Bennett (Middlesbrough), Bertrand (Chelsea), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jones (Blackburn), Mancienne (Chelsea), Mee (Manchester City), Naughton (Tottenham), Richards (Manchester City), Smalling (Manchester United), Tomkins (West Ham), Trippier (Manchester City), Walker (Tottenham), Albrighton (Aston Villa), Cork (Chelsea), Cleverley (Manchester United), Davies (Bolton), Hammill (Wolves), Henderson (Sunderland), Howson (Leeds), Lallana (Southampton), Lansbury (Arsenal), McEachran (Chelsea), Muamba (Bolton), Rodwell (Everton), Rose (Tottenham), Sinclair (Swansea), Wilshere (Arsenal), Carroll (Liverpool), Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Hooper (Celtic), Rodriguez (Burnley), Sears (West Ham), Sturridge (Chelsea), Vaughan (Everton), Welbeck (Manchester United), Wickham (Ipswich).

My team would be something like this:

Loach
Richards - Smalling - Jones/Tomkins - Gibbs
Albrington - Rodwell - Wilshere - Welbeck
Carroll - Sturridge

Fielding (Blackburn), Loach (Watford), Steele (Middlesbrough), McCarthy (Reading), Bennett (Middlesbrough), Bertrand (Chelsea), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jones (Blackburn), Mancienne (Chelsea), Mee (Manchester City), Naughton (Tottenham), Richards (Manchester City), Smalling (Manchester United), Tomkins (West Ham), Trippier (Manchester City), Walker (Tottenham), Albrighton (Aston Villa), Cork (Chelsea), Cleverley (Manchester United), Davies (Bolton), Hammill (Wolves), Henderson (Sunderland), Howson (Leeds), Lallana (Southampton), Lansbury (Arsenal), McEachran (Chelsea), Muamba (Bolton), Rodwell (Everton), Rose (Tottenham), Sinclair (Swansea), Wilshere (Arsenal), Carroll (Liverpool), Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Hooper (Celtic), Rodriguez (Burnley), Sears (West Ham), Sturridge (Chelsea), Vaughan (Everton), Welbeck (Manchester United), Wickham (Ipswich).

Loach
Carroll - Sturridge

Pretty much looking forward to watching Smalling, Wilshire and Sturridge playing. Especially Sturridge-really come into his own lately and really excelled at Bolton

Hoping for...

Loach
Walker <3 Smalling Jones Gibbs/Naughton
Henderson Rodwell Wilshere
Albrighton Carroll Sturridge

Our team should be rape!

But as it is England, I bet they fail.

Sigh.

I would go:

-----------------Steele----------------
Richards - Smalling - Jones - Gibbs
--------- Rodwell - Muamba---------
------------- Henderson -------------
-------------- Wilshere ---------------
---------- Sturridge - Carroll --------

Last edited:

Loach
Carroll - Sturridge

That team looks like it would own.

I would pick Steele over Loach...

It'll be interesting to see if Connor Wickham gets involved in the Championships and doesn't just warm the bench. I hope he does get his chance!

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this team has the overwhelming capability to play well at the U21 championship and make a great run deep into the tournament. Of course the squad will be cut down, but I think Pierce has named a great side. All this nonsense about resting players for the summer, including Wilshere, Carroll, etc. is just pretty dumb. You don't see anyone in the Spain team who won the world cup have any such fatigue for club this year. The same can be said for the Netherlands team who finished as runner-ups.

Plus it'll be really great to see a Rodwell/Wilshere partnership in midfield. That's probably the future core of the English National Team.

Yes! Adam Lallana got in. :) The only player below Championship, but not for long anyway. Really glad, he has been one of the best players in the league this season, and he is amazing. Shame Chamberlain didn't get in, but he is only 17. Amazing team we have, and on paper, we should really own the tournament. And in 6 years time, look at the England senior team we will have! :D

Pretty much agree that a Wilshere-Rodwell partnership could be the future core for England. Would be very strong, and Rodwells versatility will be handy as well. I still think maybe Wilshere should've been given a chance in the seniors, as he's played quite a bit for the Gunners now.

Ajt09, Wilshere stated that he really wanted to play in the tournament; and given that Rodwell/wilshere culd be a future partnership, i think its very good they could get tournament time together

My team(s):

Loach/Steele
Walker - Smalling - Jones - Gibbs/Bertrand
Rodwell
Wilshere - - McEachran
Welbeck - - - Carroll - - - Sturridge

Loach/Steele
Walker - Smalling - Richards - Gibbs/Bertrand
Jones
Rodwell - - McEachran
Wilshere
Carroll - Sturridge

The likely team:

Loach/Steele
Richards - Smalling - Jones - Bertrand
Muamba
Henderson - - Wilshere
Welbeck - - - Carroll - - - Sturridge​

This is a very good squad and hopefully we can win in Denmark. Hoping for:
Steele/Loach
Walker - Smalling - Jones - Bertrand/Gibbs
Henderson - Rodwell - Wilshere
Albrighton - Gypsy (Carroll) - Sturridge

Ajt09, Wilshere stated that he really wanted to play in the tournament; and given that Rodwell/wilshere culd be a future partnership, i think its very good they could get tournament time together

Yeah that's true. Think I'm just over eager to see him in the seniors I guess lol. There's a lot of talent in that line-up I can't wait to see play in the future. The future is suddenly looking very bright for this country

Reading's McCarthy has really impressed me, so I'd go with :

McCarthy
Walker Smalling Jones Gibbs
Albrighton Henderson Wilshere Cleverley
Welbeck Carroll​

Hope you's win it ! :)

My Team

Steele
Richards Smalling Jones Gibbs
Albrighton Henderson Wilshere Sinclair
Carroll Hooper/Sturridge

Yeah that's true. Think I'm just over eager to see him in the seniors I guess lol. There's a lot of talent in that line-up I can't wait to see play in the future. The future is suddenly looking very bright for this country

if we utilise them properly then the future is very bright indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back