England vs Holland: February 29th, Wembley Stadium

Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
Stuart Pearce names Fraizer Campbell in England squad for Holland game

• Interim manager hands first senior call-up to Sunderland striker
• Manchester City defender Micah Richards returns to the squad

Frazier-Campbell-007.jpg
Fraizer Campbell has won his first senior England call-up for the friendly against Holland. Photograph: Stu Forster/Getty Images

England's interim manager Stuart Pearce has handed the Sunderland striker Fraizer Campbell his first senior call-up.
Campbell's place in the squad to face Holland at Wembley next Wednesday represents a remarkable turnaround in fortunes for the player, who has suffered so many injuries during his time on Wearside.

The former Manchester United man now joins Wayne Rooney, Darren Bent, Danny Welbeck and Daniel Sturridge as the strikers in a youthful 25-man squad that also includes the Manchester City full-back Micah Richards.
Arsenal's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who had been tipped for a place in the senior squad, is named instead in the Under-21 squad for their match against Belgium.

England squad to play Holland

Goalkeepers Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United)

Defenders
Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders
Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards
Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

England Under-21 squad to play Belgium

Goalkeepers Ben Amos (Manchester United), Jack Butland (Cheltenham Town - loan from Birmingham City), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

Defenders Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough), Ryan Bennett (Peterborough United - loan from Norwich City), Steven Caulker (Swansea City - loan from Tottenham), Craig Dawson (West Bromwich Albion), Martin Kelly (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Smith (Leeds United - loan from Tottenham)

Midfielders Gary Gardner (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Henri Lansbury (West Ham United - loan from Arsenal), Jason Lowe (Blackburn Rovers), Josh McEachran (Swansea City - loan from Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Cameron Stewart (Hull City), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace)

Forwards Nathan Delfouneso (Leicester City - loan from Aston Villa), Will Keane (Manchester United), Marvin Sordell (Bolton Wanderers), Connor Wickham (Sunderland)

Yay for Richards back, but I'm not too sure about Campbell. Yes, he's come back and is on form, but he's only played a few games. Surely others deserve it more? Also, why do we have three right backs, when Smalling and Jones are both capable right backs, and why are the horribly off form pair of Walcott and Downing selected? Would much rather bring in another centre back, and the Ox and perhaps Gabby in a left wing berth.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with you Godcubed, Downing has been terribly awful this season. Tbh it would be worth just throwing Oxlaide out there for the **** it then give Downing a go...

I can't understand why Walcott and Downing have been selected. They simply haven't been performing well enough to warrant it. Oxlaide deserved the chance to show what he can do on a bigger stage and give him a bit of vital experience before the Euro's if he's going. Also have Cole and Baines really been playing that well? We all know what happened with Baines at the last tournament as well. Kieran Richardson from Sunderland has been playing pretty well at LB lately, maybe deserved a re-call?

Gotta agree that three right backs in the squad is a bit too much. So are the inclusions of Downing and Walcott. Lennon should have been there along with Gabby. Ox still isn't ready for the senior call-up IMO and Campbell's inclusion is also a surprise. Also would of named Jagielka?

I can't understand why Walcott and Downing have been selected. They simply haven't been performing well enough to warrant it. Oxlaide deserved the chance to show what he can do on a bigger stage and give him a bit of vital experience before the Euro's if he's going. Also have Cole and Baines really been playing that well? We all know what happened with Baines at the last tournament as well. Kieran Richardson from Sunderland has been playing pretty well at LB lately, maybe deserved a re-call?

Baines has been playing better. When we've been struggling in the league he's been the stand out player. And the fact he's joint top goal scorer this season so far speaks volumes. If you want a quality FB to whip in the crosses and have stand out dead ball skills-he's your man. May sound biased but I've seen both Baines and Cole play. And Ash is losing it now. It happens to players. He should still go with squad but I question wether he should start.

Cant understand the selections of some players if im honest.

Goalkeepers
Hart - Yes. Green - Ok. Carson - No. 3rd place should have gone to Ruudy.

Defenders.
Why 3 RBs? Smalling and Jones can both play there. Wheres Lescott? Overrated but has played well at CB over past few weeks.

Midfielder
Walcott & Downing? Seriously. Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer have both played much better than them, Chamberlain aswell! Cleverly? I know hes good but hes been injured most of the season? Barry?! No Aaron Lennon either.

Forward
Only issue is Campbell really. Hes a good player but I dont think hes ready.

Some very confusing selections there from Pearce.

Cant understand the selections of some players if im honest.

Goalkeepers
Hart - Yes. Green - Ok. Carson - No. 3rd place should have gone to Ruudy.

Defenders.
Why 3 RBs? Smalling and Jones can both play there. Wheres Lescott? Overrated but has played well at CB over past few weeks.

Midfielder
Walcott & Downing? Seriously. Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer have both played much better than them, Chamberlain aswell! Cleverly? I know hes good but hes been injured most of the season? Barry?! No Aaron Lennon either.

Forward
Only issue is Campbell really. Hes a good player but I dont think hes ready.

Some very confusing selections there from Pearce.

Smalling and Jones are centre backs, they will play as centre backs. Lennon is average, Cleverley is a young prominsing midfielder who is fit again, when else are you gonna play him, you have 3 friendlies left. Barry has been good all season

Not sure why anyone is concerned about the keepers though, its one game. Neither understudy will play in all likelyhood

Smalling and Jones are centre backs, they will play as centre backs. Lennon is average, Cleverley is a young prominsing midfielder who is fit again, when else are you gonna play him, you have 3 friendlies left. Barry has been good all season

Just seems like yesterday Barry was getting absolute pelters. Would like to know what suddenly happened

I know they are CBs but as others said they can also play RB and Cahill is the only experienced head at CB.
Lennon might be average, but he has flurished in a very good Tottenham side. Certainly miles better than Walcott and Downing.
Cleverly has amazing talent, yes. However he simply hasn't had the minutes, same as Campbell.

Just seems like yesterday Barry was getting absolute pelters. Would like to know what suddenly happened

Like Carrick, he caught form at the end of last season, and has stayed good all season. Quite annoying, cant really call for him to be dropped anymore

Gotta agree that three right backs in the squad is a bit too much. So are the inclusions of Downing and Walcott. Lennon should have been there along with Gabby. Ox still isn't ready for the senior call-up IMO and Campbell's inclusion is also a surprise. Also would of named Jagielka?

Jagielka still isn't recovered fully from his injury. Will take him time to regain his fitness levels

I know they are CBs but as others said they can also play RB and Cahill is the only experienced head at CB.
Lennon might be average, but he has flurished in a very good Tottenham side. Certainly miles better than Walcott and Downing.
Cleverly has amazing talent, yes. However he simply hasn't had the minutes, same as Campbell.

So you give him the minutes, that's the point of a friendly, see what the young player can do. Smalling and Jones are both playing better than Cahill at any rate. I wouldnt have any of the three wingers, and I'm hoping Sturridge starts wide right.

Jagielka still isn't recovered fully from his injury. Will take him time to regain his fitness levels

Would rather keep him safe for when it really matters

So you give him the minutes, that's the point of a friendly, see what the young player can do. Smalling and Jones are both playing better than Cahill at any rate. I wouldnt have any of the three wingers, and I'm hoping Sturridge starts wide right.

Can see your point actually about the minutes. Personally, I would have had an experienced head in their to help them out, even if for advice. If I was to have wingers, it would either have been Lennon and Chamberlain.

Has to be Rooney and Wellbeck up top. The connection them to have is unreal.

Would rather keep him safe for when it really matters

Exactly. It's a friendly nothing more. Plus we'll need him for our push for Europe too. Losing him again would be a big blow. Not just us for but for England. Besides, we already know he can do a job for England anyway

Can see your point actually about the minutes. Personally, I would have had an experienced head in their to help them out, even if for advice. If I was to have wingers, it would either have been Lennon and Chamberlain.

Has to be Rooney and Wellbeck up top. The connection them to have is unreal.

Parker or Barry will be alongside I assume. Gerrard will get some game time as well. Chamberlain, but not Lennon. But I agree that Walcott and Downing shouldn't be in the squad, though it has to be said Downing is better for England than he is for Liverpool, which isn't hard to be fair.

Hart
Richards Jones Smalling Baines
Parker Clevs
Sturridge Rooney Johnson
Welbeck
Please Pearce, stop me raging and play that team.​