• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 3K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says travelling to Greece for Thursday's Europa League tie ahead of Sunday's Premier League match against Liverpool is a "nuisance".

More...

Play a second string side. Problem solved.

Gomes, Livermore, Pavlyuchenko, Townsend, Falqué, are all worth starting.

What? PAOK is a solid team to be honest and I want us to pass the groups and advance somewhere like in semi-finals... We were quarter-finalists last year in CL and now we don't give a **** about EL. That's a shame because that's how big clubs win trophies and such.

Clearly doesn't rate the Europa League highly and to some extent I agree with him. I certainly don't make a habit of watching the games.

What's he actually won at Spurs? Maybe he should concentrate on winning some silverware..

What's he actually won at Spurs? Maybe he should concentrate on winning some silverware..

He took them from bottom of the league to safety, then to Champions league following year. Not too shabby at all.

He took them from bottom of the league to safety, then to Champions league following year. Not too shabby at all.

I'm not saying he hasn't done well. Just saying maybe he should be concentrating on winning something rather than slating decent competitions.

It wasn't as if they were in the bottom three after 30 games though was it.

And if he really thinks its a nuisance why doesn't he play a team full of youth players. That way his first team squad won't be fatigued. Simples.

We had an exceptional squad, and far stronger than those others around the bottom of the table.

The players' morale was rock bottom after the hard taskmaster that is Juande Ramos, and Harry Redknapp came in and picked them all back up with his well-known man management approach. Many could have achieved the same thing, provided they were the polar opposite of Ramos like Redknapp is.

That said, performances since February this year have generally been dire, and we're not going to keep giving Harry a free ride because he managed to get a top half squad into the top half.

Maybe he should take a back seat for a year or two and become a fan and see what its like. There is nothing better than seeing your side lift some silverwere no matter what trophy it is.

It's a European trophy ffs. Wish it had some kind of prestige tbh.

im waiting for euro 12, end of cappelo, and Harry red comes into place :P

...Whilst spending loads, having a top squad and generally not giving his youngsters a chance (and messing up people's career - Dos Santos, Bent, Bentley, Gomes, etc.).

I don't think it's that hard, although getting into the Champions League and then in the Quarters is still a great achievement.

But he hasn't won many trophies, and he should be targeting the Europa League as Spurs aren't really in contention to win anything else right now (bar the League Cup maybe). It's not like they've got millions and are in contention to win the Champions League!

I wish people in England valued the Europa League as highly as our European friends do, it's a good competition to win and you shouldn't knock it.

I agree its a European trophy. Why woudn't you not want to win it?!

Have to say having been to the UEFA Cup Final in 06 in Eindhoven and witnessing the run Middlesbrough undertook that year I find it baffling to understand how some managers approach this competition. AVB wins it and he gets the Chelsea job, he became well known across Europe for his Europa League run and he rotated but he never took it lightly.

For fans of Tottenham as well it must be frustrating because they know if they went for it they have a great chance of winning it. And are Spurs any 'bigger' a club than FC Porto?

Lack of respect for the competition in England just bemuses me, those European matches in 06 (Going to Rome for a start) was a once in a lifetime experience for Middlesbrough Football Club. Strangest part is, it kills the coefficient and look at City being in pot 3, if you want to do better in the Champions League then you need to do well in the Europa League to get your coefficient up.

Makes no sense for Harry to take it this lightly, rest some players? Absolutely fine, but don't make a joke of the competition and play 9 or 11 kids.

I wish people in England valued the Europa League as highly as our European friends do, it's a good competition to win and you shouldn't knock it.

no worries mate. Birmigham , Stoke , spurs are on the job :P

Remember how Fulham reach the final in 2010

no worries mate. Birmigham , Stoke , spurs are on the job :P

Remember how Fulham reach the final in 2010

Just because we have 3 teams in the competition and a team reached the final recently, it doesn't mean we take it seriously.

Back