ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Everton v Newcastle United
St James Park
Kickoff: 15:00
Referee: Howard Webb

Team News

Everton were dealt a double fitness blow on Tuesday with news that midfield pair Marouane Fellaini and Tim Cahill would both be forced to spend a spell on the sidelines. The news was worse for Fellaini who will have an operation on his ankle and will miss the rest of the season, Cahill is out for up to three weeks with a foot injury.

Newcastle were hopeful that Stephen Ireland would be available to make his debut after signing on loan from Villa but the midfielder picked up a knock this week and is unlikely to feature. Danny Guthrie may return for the Magpies, whilst Shola Ameobi may play with a face mask protecting his fractured cheek bone.

Hatem Ben Arfa (broken leg), Alan Smith (knee) and Dan Gosling (hamstring) are all out.

Facts
1. Leighton Baines has assisted 24% of Everton’s league goals this season, a higher proportion than any other player from any club.
2. Everton have had nine shots cleared off the line in this campaign, more than any other side in the top flight.
3. Newcastle players have been awarded 59 yellow cards this season, that is more than any other club.
4. Everton have won just twice in 16 visits to St James Park in Premier League history, with the last victory coming in 2000.
5. Only one goal has been scored in the last two Premier League clashes between these sides.
6. Only Manchester United have scored more goals at home than Newcastle United
7. Newcastle United poor form at home leaves them 17th in home form table

Team Form

Everton's last six Premier League fixtures perhaps reflect the inconsistent nature of their season, with two wins, two draws and two defeats.
That run has been combined with an FA Cup campaign that came to a hugely disappointing conclusion on Tuesday night as the Blues lost 1-0 at home to Championship side Reading in the fifth round.
Newcastle have lost just once in the league in 2011 and are unbeaten in their last four games. Three of Newcastle's last four matches have finished as draws including a remarkable 4-4 draw with Arsenal which saw the Magpies come back from 4-0 down. United's last Premier League game, against European rivals Bolton Wanderers, finished 1-1 with Daniel Sturridge cancelling out Kevin Nolan's opener.

Newcastle's last six (all comps): Bolton, home (drew 1-1); Birmingham, away (won 2-0); Blackburn, away (drew 0-0); Arsenal, home (drew 4-4); Fulham, away (lost 1-0); Tottenham, home (drew 1-1).
Everton's last six (all comps): Reading, home, FA Cup (lost 1-0), Sunderland, home (won 2-0), Chelsea away, FA Cup (drew 1-1 AET, won 4-3 on penalties) Bolton, away (lost 2-0); Blackpool, home (won 5-3); Arsenal, away (lost 2-1)

Last Match

A wonder strike from Hatem Ben Arfa won the game for the Magpies earlier in the season, their first victory at Goodison Park since 2001. Ben Arfa unleashed a fierce effort from the edge of the penalty area and gave the Magpies a precious advantage right on the stroke of half time. Marouane Fellaini came closest to finding an equaliser for the Blues but Newcastle were able to hang on to their lead.

Possible starting XIs:
Newcastle: Harper, Williamson, Enrique, Simpson, Coloccini, Gutierrez, Guthrie, Barton, Tiote, Nolan, Ameobi.
Everton: Howard, Baines, Neville, Heitinga, Distin, Jagielka, Bilyaletdinov, Rodwell , Osman, Arteta, Saha.

This is going to be a potentially cagey affair. The performance of Everton in the FA Cup tie, highlighted the inconsistency of the team, which has pretty much blighted the club for the majority of the season. But David Moyes, will without doubt drill some harsh truths into the players, and will do what he has to do most of the season, and that is to pick up the players, and do what he can to get the most out of them. But he can't do this by himself. The players need to really make up for the terrible performance against Reading. We lose the next two games, and other results go against us, we are in serious, serious trouble. As the rest of the fixtures show, there are by no means easy at all.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw myself. Baines freekick, and Nolan is bound to get one today. He's a goalscoring machine

2-0 to Everton. Its about time they wake up and show the quality. Hope Saha starts and show his quality.

You're meant to put the home team first, we're not American or all Everton fans, also did you come up with that Newcastle starting XI? We'll most likely play the same 4-4-2 we have the last few games, with Barton possibly still injured and being replaced by Guthrie. Saha is almost guaranteed to score, since almost all ex-Newcastle players do against us.

You're meant to put the home team first, we're not American or all Everton fans, also did you come up with that Newcastle starting XI? We'll most likely play the same 4-4-2 we have the last few games, with Barton possibly still injured and being replaced by Guthrie.

Still waiting on news on confirmed line-ups. Soon as I find it will edit immediately. But I'm hearing Ameobi may be making an appearance today. And you'll have to bear with me-this is my first ever match thread so I'm trying my best

Oh this game is at Newcastle, then i would go for 1-1.

Still waiting on news on confirmed line-ups. Soon as I find it will edit immediately. But I'm hearing Ameobi may be making an appearance today

But he's most likely not going to just stroll into the starting XI given the form of Best and Lovenkrands, expect him to be a sub or to replace Lovenkrands, but not for us to go 4-5-1 just for him.

Ireland is more likely to play than Guthrie tbh. I fancy our chances but I don't see this being a high scoring games, 2 fairly inconsistent teams I'll go 1-0 to us, Nolan most likely being the scorer

Nolan really has taken up the goalscoring reigns lately. Quality player imo. If Barton was to start, would've probably gone for a Newcastle win

Ireland is more likely to play than Guthrie tbh. I fancy our chances but I don't see this being a high scoring games, 2 fairly inconsistent teams I'll go 1-0 to us, Nolan most likely being the scorer

I'd hope so, but Pardew says he's picked up a minor thigh strain, hopefully he's over that now

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Nolan really has taken up the goalscoring reigns lately. Quality player imo. If Barton was to start, would've probably gone for a Newcastle win

Just saw that he's in the programme today saying he wants to play against his boyhood club (Everton), so sounds like he thinks he's fit.

I'd hope so, but Pardew says he's picked up a minor thigh strain, hopefully he's over that now

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Just saw that he's in the programme today saying he wants to play against his boyhood club (Everton), so sounds like he thinks he's fit.

Aye, the North East journo for Talksport just said himself he's expecting Barton to make an appearance.

Life would be made easier with releasing the team news earlier. Make predictions little bit easier lol

Harper
S Taylor Williamson Colo Enrique
Simpson Nolan Tiote Jonas
Best Lovenkrands

Subs: Tim Krul, James Perch, Michael Richardson, Danny Guthrie, Shane Ferguson, Shefki Kuqi, Shola Ameobi

Good plan, Taylor was good at RB when he came on last match, and Simpson surely has to be better than Guthrie at RM. Above is confirmed btw.

Last edited:
2-1 Everton. Beckford(if he plays, if not Saha) , Baines and Nolan.

Harper

Best Lovenkrands​

Subs: Tim Krul, James Perch, Michael Richardson, Danny Guthrie, Shane Ferguson, Shefki Kuqi, Shola Ameobi​

Good plan, Taylor was good at RB when he came on last match, and Simpson surely has to be better than Guthrie at RM. Above is confirmed btw.

Where you get that? Been trying to find the dam news just now lol

Harper
Best Lovenkrands

I have a sneaky feeling, that we will nick it today......Does anyone know any decent streaming sites to watch the game on!?

Where you get that? Been trying to find the dam news just now lol

I have some good local journalists on twitter who get team news asap, and it's now on nufc.co.uk too.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110305/newcastle-v-everton-steven-taylor-returns_2281670_2308588

Edit: That also has an Everton XI, and doesn't have the word expected beside it

Howard
Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Neville Rodwell Arteta Osman
Beckford Saha

Subs: Jan Mucha, John Heitinga, Seamus Coleman, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Shane Duffy, Jose Baxter, Victor Anichebe​

Last edited:
I have some good local journalists on twitter who get team news asap, and it's now on nufc.co.uk too.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110305/newcastle-v-everton-steven-taylor-returns_2281670_2308588

Edit: That also has an Everton XI, and doesn't have the word expected beside it

Everton (4-4-2): Tim Howard; Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, Sylvain Distin, Leighton Baines; Phil Neville (c), Jack Rodwell, Mikel Arteta, Leon Osman; Jermaine Beckford, Louis Saha

Subs: Jan Mucha, John Heitinga, Seamus Coleman, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Shane Duffy, Jose Baxter, Victor Anichebe

ah well, cheers for it. was gettin annoyed scouring around. I'm actually surprised Heitinga hasn't been picked to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back