I don't have beta as pre-ordered disc version from amazon. But when it arrives. I will start with my fave team united. Might sell couple players but plan to buy youth players for the future. Try and promote youth players to first team etc. Sign couple of wonderkids maybe but no big players.

Also plan to start a Brighton save and maybe league 1/2 save.

Why not bro?

Because by every year has become shittier & shittier.
I`m one of them not fooled by the colored package, and after 9 years i`m gonna say Bye Bye FM !
Gonna make my custom update for FM 09 & 10.

Truth to be told... I don't know ^^U
Since I pretty much covered my "go to" choices in the last 3-4 installments of the series.

In FM2k13 I spent most of my times in Spain (with a pretty succesful Real Sociedad save)
In FM2k14 I opted to give a try to national teams instead of leagues (mainly Balcanic countries, having moderate success with Bosnia and turning Croatia into a powerhouse) along with some "exotic" leagues such as Czech or Slovakian between national team runs.
In FM2k15 due to the infamous Eneko Osia bug that made the Spanish league system nearly unplayable for months I ended up playing in Italy, training AC Fiorentina (hard but rewarding experience).
And finally in FM2k16 I'm fully focused on good ol' Premier League for the first time in 10 years (I didn't have a save on England since FM2k6).

So, simply put: I'm having trouble to decide my new destiny once I lay my hands on a (most likely digital) copy of the game, since I already covered the main leagues, Germany always ends up being my go to destiny when I'm undecided (most of my saves since I started playing this series are on German system leagues) and I find French and Portuguese leagues quite boring...

I could opt for a nationalization or homegrown challenge... which I would most likely choose Italy as a destination and teams like Sassuolo that has a nice Italian base to work with already or Atalanta, that has the BEST youth academy system in the whole country (which could eventually turn the challenge from either nationalization/homegrown to an endogamic one).

I could try to revive the former glory days of teams that were Spain first division's regulars some point in the past and now they're forgotten in Segunda B (the lowest playable level in the game) like Albacete (known back in the 90s as the "clockwork cheese"), Real Murcia, Recreativo de Huelva (Spain's oldest team, known as the "dean" of Spanish football), Rácing de Santander, Real Unión de Irún, Sabadell, Arenas Club...

I could go back to Denmark (I haven't played the Danish league since FM2k8) and try to restore Brondby's former glory.

Or... I could go back to Germany once again because... why not? (Werder Bremen... I'm kind of looking at you...)

It looks like I have some serious meditation to do after all...^^U

Well since I've not played FM since FM14 i'm not sure.

I'll most likely do double save where I manage Newcastle (as normal) and then a random manager somewhere else in the world. Over the years, I've managed in Denmark, USA, Conference and tried to make a little known team/smaller team into a powerhouse or a journey man. But i find it challenging and rewarding having a double save.

Yow can all help me pick my 2nd manager if you like, I've got either:

Eric Cantona managing Yeovil Town
Nolberto Solano managing Hartlepool United
Shola Ameobi managing Gateshead
Brad Friedel managing LA Galaxy
Jesper Grønkjær managing FC København
Phillipe Albert managing R.S.C Anderlecht
Or
Santiago Muñez as an unemployed manager starting out after his successful "career" playing for Newcastle, Real Madrid and Mexico.

What do you reckon?

I`m one of them not fooled by the colored package, and after 9 years i`m gonna say Bye Bye FM !

All these FM haters who complain every year that the game hasn't changed enough or its shittier baffles me. What more do you actually want? People don't actually realise how hard this game is to make.

The games DOES get better every year, to say it doesn't is laughable. If you actually sit back and think about it, the game is amazing, there is nothing else in the world like it. It's well priced every year, they leave it wide open so people out there can edit it, skins, face packs, logos, editor ect. How many other games do that?

Going by Steam, its constantly in the most played games even 12 months after a release, no other game runs that strong for so long after a release besides a few like a GTA ect.

It's a great game that each year they look to improve on without changing the core concept of the game. If you make major changes, it's no longer FM, EA couldn't compete in the FM world, Soccer Management ect.

Yes there will always be frustrations and bugs but with a game that relies on masses amount of data all talking to each other, sometimes **** happens and people need to take a chill pill.

I went back and looked at my FM12 save's the other day, OMG it felt so old and slow. Good luck with your FM09. If you're not into FM17 I'm not sure why you're on a forum for FM17.

Last edited:
My plans are; get excited to start a save, realise I'm terrible when I get sacked, give up in a huff then repeat when I forgot why I gave up in the first place.

If you're struggling and don't know who to choose then check out Sampdoria Genua. They have some amazing young players to develop plus some aged but experienced Italians and they almost got relegated last season so expectations aren't big.

Highly recommended team to manage. Cheers.

If you're struggling and don't know who to choose then check out Sampdoria Genua. They have some amazing young players to develop plus some aged but experienced Italians and they almost got relegated last season so expectations aren't big.

Highly recommended team to manage. Cheers.

It's only Sampdoria, Genoa are their arch rivals.

Actually... That's not a bad idea at all... It's a team that hasn't won any major trophy since the early 90s (back on 1991 when they won the Serie A against all odds and 1994 when they won the Coppa Italia) and have lost some important talent on the last years: Andrea Poli, Mauro Icardi, Pedro Obiang, Manolo Gabbiadini, Éder (not the Portuguese, the Italian)... all of them were blucerchiati at some point in time.

Nowadays they have some interesting players on their squad like Luís Muriel, Dennis Praet, Jacopo Sala, Filip Djuricic or Milan Skriniar... But their squad is also incredibly old with players like Antonio Cassano, Angelo Palombo, Edgar Barreto, Emiliano Viviano, Fabio Quagliarella or Luca Cigarini around.

Definitely one to consider, I'll add it as a potential target should I start on Italy once again, alongside Sassuolo and Atalanta.

Sorry I forgot it's Sampdoria, didn't want to offend anyone :)

The reason I recommend Sampdoria is because I had my best ever career in FM as Sampdoria manager back in FM12 so I'm probably being slightly sentimental here lol

Yeah, they've lost some talented players but there's a lot of good youngsters in their u20 and u18 teams and the likes of Palombo, Barreto and Viviano are there waiting for being mentors :)

Sampdoria can also produce incredible regens over the years.

I would pick Sampdoria if I were you and the silly reason being is that both Sassuolo and Atalanta have pretty ugly stadiums lol

FM 2009? The same FM where Shaktar Donetsk would rip me apart with 40 yard Douglas Costa banana curlers? Don't forget players running through each other.

FM 2009? The same FM where Shaktar Donetsk would rip me apart with 40 yard Douglas Costa banana curlers? Don't forget players running through each other.
That's put me in a frenzy of FM 2009 nostalgia! I remember the superkeeper bug where the ME literally wouldn't let you score.

I usually put together a database that goes all the way down the 8th tier of Danish football, just so that I'll be able to play with my local team, Hvalsø IF. Takes tons of hours to even prepare it, but always worth the time, just for the sake of experiencing a world where we'll go up the ranks and eventually becomming a CL competing team. Takes blood, sweat, and tears, but always worth it.

Haven't played since FM14, not sure if my laptop will be able to handle FM17 at this point, but if I do get it I'll probably go with my old stand-bys:

Arsenal
USA national team
Atletico Madrid
Olympique Lyon or Monaco
MLS (usually Real Salt Lake, but maybe something different)
Xolos Tijuana

I never seem to play in Germany or Italy much, so maybe I should try one of those countries. Or maybe Portugal.

I always have one savegame each FM, and this year i started out with Real Oviedo in the second division in spain. and i'll propably stay there for a while before moving on to italy or england

Prefered clubs after Real Oviedo

Lazio
Fiorentina
Celta de Vigo
Leeds
Paok
Larissa (greece)

Oviedo is an excellent choice and they've got a nice stadium that will easily fit Primera Division standards

I've one goal and that's to try and conquer Europe and possibly the World. It's a challenge I attempted when FM15 was out but after sixty odd seasons, I was nowhere close to completing it. It's pretty much impossible to conquer but enjoyable nonetheless.

Got a Newcastle save on the go for the first time in years which I've been enjoying as well.

My initial thoughts are to test the game with the team i support (Manchester City) and then try and revive Stuttgart after the spiral of failure they have fallen into. Then possibly Sheffield united and a nice long term English bottom to the very top save. After that the usual mix of fallen giants and trying to improve whole leagues and nations( eg, Ireland, Sweden, Wales)