Hey timmzeh, I use to favor that formation but I feel u do suffer the 1 0 lost once a while too often for my liking. Hence I usually play the 4123 wide (as in described by FM).
I cant really help in being that high tempo because I never had luck with it plus my players tend to get too many cards for my liking. My tactics are usually base on being on the Gegenpressing as per say.
Ok I agree Depay should be play as an if due to his shooting ability. Basically u play him like u would with Arjen robben but basically on the left side instead.
Whenever I play a shadow striker the st position is always followed by a support role rather than attack. Because if it's in an attack role then your st will be too far out or too isolated (sometimes or most of the time) whenever you attack or counter attack.
As for playing 2 mid centre I usually don't play an advance playmaker either support or attack because the ss is going to drop into the same area and u r going to be left open for counters using that mid combo.
That's what I feel, I would usually play a holding midfield and a ball winner.
Well that's what I think but again I don't play such high tempo, so it might work but looking from your tacts, it does look when u win, u win big when u lose its lose big. do u experience that often?

Last edited:
Hey timmzeh, I use to favor that formation but I feel u do suffer the 1 0 lost once a while too often for my liking. Hence I usually play the 4123 wide (as in described by FM).
I cant really help in being that high tempo because I never had luck with it plus my players tend to get too many cards for my liking. My tactics are usually base on being on the Gegenpressing as per say.
Ok I agree Depay should be play as an if due to his shooting ability. Basically u play him like u would with Arjen robben but basically on the left side instead.
Whenever I play a shadow striker the st position is always followed by a support role rather than attack. Because if it's in an attack role then your st will be too far out or too isolated (sometimes or most of the time) whenever you attack or counter attack.
As for playing 2 mid centre I usually don't play an advance playmaker either support or attack because the ss is going to drop into the same area and u r going to be left open for counters using that mid combo.
That's what I feel, I would usually play a holding midfield and a ball winner.
Well that's what I think but again I don't play such high tempo, so it might work but looking from your tacts, it does look when u win, u win big when u lose its lose big. do u experience that often?

Yeah exactly! I win big, but lose big when I do. I dont use this tactic away from home against the big teams, otherwise I get thrashed. But at home and away at smaller teams it works a treat!

Timmzeh, I know u are aiming for the Gegenpressing but I would recommend to go for normal tempo. Yes I know klopp uses it like a too fast too furious mentality, but look it this way. If u play a high tempo it means u want your players to have less time on ball the hence movement and passes might be too hurried at times to get to truly make full use of the counter after the hard work of pressing. And if it happens too many times, Your team will have a melt down namely in cards and fatigue. The trick is to find the balance. Also do remember when you use an attack mentality automatically your players will be more aggressive and will play a higher tempo than say control or standard for example. I'm working on another formation ATM too. It's a 4231 narrow with high tempo, and I never like to switch to the attack mentality because when I do that they tend to do more mistakes and I don't usually score. With that in mind I hope u have an idea on how to do a pressing counter tact

Last edited:
Timmzeh, I know u are aiming for the Gegenpressing but I would recommend to go for normal tempo. Yes I know klopp uses it like a too fast too furious mentality, but look it this way. If u play a high tempo it means u want your players to have less time on ball the hence movement and passes might be too hurried at times to get to truly make full use of the counter after the hard work of pressing. And if it happens too many times, Your team will have a melt down namely in cards and fatigue. The trick is to find the balance. Also do remember when you use an attack mentality automatically your players will be more aggressive and will play a higher tempo than say control or standard for example. I'm working on another formation ATM too. It's a 4231 narrow with high tempo, and I never like to switch to the attack mentality because when I do that they tend to do more mistakes and I don't usually score. With that in mind I hope u have an idea on how to do a pressing counter tact

But then its not a counter press tactic?

It's is Google what is Gegenpressing all about. For me u press hard but u wanna fine tune so u don't over rush your passing that will end up as your number 1 reason of the style play breaking down. Jupp heyneckes Bayern played Gegenpressing too during his most successful season there. And you know how dominating Bayern was that time. No Ronaldo no messi, out pass out tackle and most possession. Beat Barca at their tiki taka game. That's how it suppose to end up when u get it right with the counter press

Last edited: