Reaction score
Most FM13 players I know are very attacking in their mentality, look for exciting matches and spend big money on front-line, for entertainment value.
Am I the only one who gets great pleasure from having a really solid defence? Whenever I'm watching a game and the other team has the ball, I find myself sub-consciously analyzing the positions of my more defensive minded players.
If my team (Real Madrid) are winning 4-0, I'm desperate for us not to concede late on. Or if one of our players does a perfect sliding challenge because of good positional play, to me it's almost the equivalent of a goal!
I could probably look at my team's defensive shape for hours on end, anyone else a fan of defences?

Can't really say so, no. I do enjoy a good defensive display, but for me it's all about the win. At the end of the day I don't really care if I win 1-0 or 4-3.

But finding good defenders does not seem as easy as finding good attackers, which is probably true IRL too. If you find a defender who is awesome in the air, has great tackling skills and is really fast, chances are his positioning sucks, or maybe his concentration or whatever. Finding a 'perfect' defender is really hard. And trying to give good regens some playing time can often lead to you conceding due to their lack of experience. It's not easy to set up a good defence.

Can be difficult. What I do is stick Alonso and Essien just in front of the back four, that seems to give us some extra protection. Also allows Arbeloa and Marcelo to get forward. Beaten Valencia 3-0 first match, they only got 2 shots off all game! Barcelona drew as well, gonna see how many games I can go without conceding!

I also get great pleasure from building a really strong defence, I always invest heavily in quality defenders and a quality BMW I find that the BWM postion is the key to a strong defence, I also like more defensive minded full backs to prevent the opposition getting crosses in.

My current line up is (Arsenal 2015)

Gk Szczesney
DR Danilo
DL Shaw
DC Hummels
DC Dede (best dc in the game, 19 tackling, 18 marking, 16 pace and 15+ heading and in all mental stats)
BWM M'Vila
MC Tiago
MR Gotze
ML Wellington Nem
P Neymar
AF Rodrigo

Although I love a solid defence, I do have attacking fullbacks. For me it's ok because I tend to have Alonso, Essien and Khedira in the middle, who all have an excellent work rate and can track back. That Gunners team looks nice, how have you done with them so far?

Most FM13 players I know are very attacking in their mentality, look for exciting matches and spend big money on front-line, for entertainment value.
Am I the only one who gets great pleasure from having a really solid defence? Whenever I'm watching a game and the other team has the ball, I find myself sub-consciously analyzing the positions of my more defensive minded players.
If my team (Real Madrid) are winning 4-0, I'm desperate for us not to concede late on. Or if one of our players does a perfect sliding challenge because of good positional play, to me it's almost the equivalent of a goal!
I could probably look at my team's defensive shape for hours on end, anyone else a fan of defences?

can't say i have the same love for defending as you but i do love seeing us keeping a clean sheet, as do most managers!

Yup, I am always looking defense first. I can't stand conceding, in any way, shape or form :D

I just go for goal scoring records. Defense is usually the line i overlook. That often hurts me, but what can i do...

Was 5-0 up against Granada to go 3pts clear at the top, we conceded a consolation in injury time, actually swore to myself! It hurts...

I also love to know I have set up a solid defence, on my Arsenal save, in one season I conceded something like 27 goals all season! All set records for most goals without conceding and most clean sheets! :D

Sometimes you can concentrate too much on the defense though, struggling to create chances.

Out of interest, do you have any general preference on how you set up your defence
(E.g I prefer to defend very deep, with not much pressing by the defensive 6 (back 4 and 2 CM) with my AM tracking back but marking tightly and my front 3 pressing tightly high up the pitch!)

I also love to know I have set up a solid defence, on my Arsenal save, in one season I conceded something like 27 goals all season! All set records for most goals without conceding and most clean sheets! :D

Sometimes you can concentrate too much on the defense though, struggling to create chances.

Out of interest, do you have any general preference on how you set up your defence
(E.g I prefer to defend very deep, with not much pressing by the defensive 6 (back 4 and 2 CM) with my AM tracking back but marking tightly and my front 3 pressing tightly high up the pitch!)

I play with a 4-2-3-1, with 2 defensive midfielders in front of the back four, and a CM. Always have Alonso dropping back as a DLP. Then either Khedira as BWM in the centre with Essien as DM, or Khedira as DM and Modric as another playmaker, depending on the opposition. Because Marcelo/Coentrao and Arbeloa are quality going forward, in my attacking tactic I give them an attack duty. I can normally get away with it having 2 DMs to provide enough cover. Got Ronaldo as defensive winger on the left, to use his physical presence to win it high up the pitch. Generally like to play quite deep too, although not too deep, as you can end up giving them too much space!

I'm with you too mate. Keeping a clean sheet is essential and when I setup my tactic, although in this year's game I play with mostly other users tactics, I always go with defensive part first. Even in match preparation I always set defensive positioning. To attack in a good way, you must have your players well positioned in the pitch, whether it is with a high or deep d-line.

I prefer those solid good wins like 1-0 or 2-0 than the 5-1, 4-2 or 3-2. I'm not bother if my team is all the game in their midfield if they defend well and the opponent have the ball and didn't do anything with it. Rather win by security and safety than by the show if you know what I mean :)

I'm with you too mate. Keeping a clean sheet is essential and when I setup my tactic, although in this year's game I play with mostly other users tactics, I always go with defensive part first. Even in match preparation I always set defensive positioning. To attack in a good way, you must have your players well positioned in the pitch, whether it is with a high or deep d-line.

I prefer those solid good wins like 1-0 or 2-0 than the 5-1, 4-2 or 3-2. I'm not bother if my team is all the game in their midfield if they defend well and the opponent have the ball and didn't do anything with it. Rather win by security and safety than by the show if you know what I mean :)

Totally agree, there's an element of invincibility about winning a series of games 1 or 2-0.

Lol Spleen don't call me Alex McLeish - I'm a Birmingham City fan!

it'll be interesting to see what you think creates a sturdy defence, whether it's 3 or 4 at the back and what roles they play!

it'll be interesting to see what you think creates a sturdy defence, whether it's 3 or 4 at the back and what roles they play!

4 at the back all the time for me, WBs leave too much space (I'd presume if you played 3 at the back you would use WB further up the field). I have both FB's set to support, with both CB set as cover.

In My 2nd season in my Spurs save, i always set my team up not to loose really and defence comes 1st and just finished 2nd to man utd, conceding only 17 goals all season! Even though i didn't win the league i was super happy with my defensive! I love a good 1-0 game haha!

I always rage for the first 2 seasons and then later i just laugh about moments like that. I rather go for 150 league goals than Championship, rly.

Isn't hard with a top team to go all season with the best defense, as long as you get a fairly balanced formation and half decent players you'll generally end up being better off than most teams.

Did the immovable object achievement not all that long ago.