Ferguson attacks 'kamikaze' buys

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 107
  • Views Views 6K
Meh, internet forum is internet forum. No need for the aggro over this though.

@sunilvk7 - I do try to be fair on this forum and pay credit where it's due. You can check a lot of the basic facts I've given in places like Red Cafe (the link between the success under Busby and equity investment is acknowledged there in their history of Manchester United's ownership, as is the two breaches of the FA's financial regulations which allowed Manchester United to financially muscle their way to success again).

My point really is that it does not matter where the money is coming from - whether from sponsorship, tv, or the chairman/boards pockets. That is how football has always worked. Clough spent heavily at Derby to get success. Shanks' big successes came when he was backed financially by the Moores family. etc etc etc.

What has to stop happening however is clubs taking out debt in order to try and achieve that success. If the money is there to be spent as equity investment, where's the problem? We can gripe and moan about it, but it's not damaging the club. What damages clubs is when they have corrupt/incompetent boards - like Leeds or Portsmouth - and the spending is being done via debt and/or money is being syphoned out of the club wrongly.

My disagreement with Ferguson's statement is that he's saying that he's always developed youth rather than spent heavily. This is incorrect. This will always be incorrect. He can rightly take plaudits for the youth players who have come through the Manchester United system from being schoolboys. What he can't do is claim that this is the same as spending £20m on a teenage lad and then claiming that he's developed him as a youth player. Not the same at all. Wenger has a similar issue - he's excellent at spotting talent and bringing it in at a relatively young age, but most of the young players he's brought through spent their formative years at other clubs and Wenger has spent heavily to recruit them. Likewise with Liverpool. There's a whole raft of issues which need resolving in my view about youth football and developing young talent and it isn't helped by managers misleading people about what they're doing.

The hypocrisy I see here is only Manchester United specific because Ferguson is trying to deflect attention from his current inability to compete for signings and these are the grounds he's chosen to use. He's obviously not going to be saying, "Well, our current owners are taking out tens of millions of pounds from the club at the moment, and that means we're not able to get the players we want." Which is a shame, but then that's how Ferguson has always been with owners at Manchester United.

Sorry to say but this sudden rediscovery of Scottish frugality by Ferguson is immensely hypocritical. It's more a reflection of Manchester United's inability now (for whatever reasons) to go out and smash the transfer record a couple of times every summer. He doth protest too much.

+1

It seems the tables have turned now.

Why does everyone get annoyed at City, we are very lucky to have Sheikh Mansour, and we are using the money he is letting us use, whats wrong with that, what should City think/. " Oh fans of other clubs think we are a disgrace, oh i know lets not use the money then" I think a large part of this comes down to jealousy from other fans, i mean who wouldnt like to be owned by a billionaire.

When i see Man City going from signing players like Danny Mills 5 years ago to people like David Silva nowadays, it makes me realise how money plays a huge part in success in football these days, who was Man Utds top scorer last year? Rooney i believe, he cost 30 million, im not having a go, but Ferguson is being a massive hypocrite, i really respect him and as i want to be a football coach when im older i sort of look at his success with youth as a major achievement, what he did bringing the Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs etc through, was excellent work, but he has spent plenty of money throughout his time as Manchester United Manager. It all adds up at the end of the day, whether you spend it over 6 years, or all in one go.

Personally as a City fan i know that most fans hate us, but to be honest i dont care, its football, that money isnt going anywhere, so people like Sir Alex need to shut up and get used to the fact there will be some rivalry in Manchester in the near future. I personally have never had a problem with managers spending money, you dont judge a manager on how much they have spent, you judge them on success, for example Eriksson spent **** loads at Lazio, but was the best manager in their history by a huge margin. Money is proven to build good teams.

Rant over

Why does everyone get annoyed at City, we are very lucky to have Sheikh Mansour, and we are using the money he is letting us use, whats wrong with that, what should City think/. " Oh fans of other clubs think we are a disgrace, oh i know lets not use the money then" I think a large part of this comes down to jealousy from other fans, i mean who wouldnt like to be owned by a billionaire.

When i see Man City going from signing players like Danny Mills 5 years ago to people like David Silva nowadays, it makes me realise how money plays a huge part in success in football these days, who was Man Utds top scorer last year? Rooney i believe, he cost 30 million, im not having a go, but Ferguson is being a massive hypocrite, i really respect him and as i want to be a football coach when im older i sort of look at his success with youth as a major achievement, what he did bringing the Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs etc through, was excellent work, but he has spent plenty of money throughout his time as Manchester United Manager. It all adds up at the end of the day, whether you spend it over 6 years, or all in one go.

Personally as a City fan i know that most fans hate us, but to be honest i dont care, its football, that money isnt going anywhere, so people like Sir Alex need to shut up and get used to the fact there will be some rivalry in Manchester in the near future. I personally have never had a problem with managers spending money, you dont judge a manager on how much they have spent, you judge them on success, for example Eriksson spent **** loads at Lazio, but was the best manager in their history by a huge margin. Money is proven to build good teams.

Rant over

I've seen you criticise Chelsea's heavy spending within the first 3 years with Abramovich several times, don't be so hypocritical.

Joe, I have to say, I have seen you slate Chelsea so many times because of how they spent when Abramovich took over.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, and you should expect other fans to be annoyed / jealous.

I very rarely criticise Chelsea's spending, only if they criticise Man City's spending. Becuase they are being hypocritical then, i have never had a big problem with teams spending money

City don't have to spend the money but it's a very difficult decision for a manager. The owners want big names and big signings, as they think that will be the way to gain success. They're not prepared to wait, bring in young players and build. They want instant success and don't care for individuals. It's shown with Bellamy this season. He's not a bad player, yet he's not in their squad because his reputation isn't as great as some foreign players. In that respect I feel sorry for players who were already at the club and managers who are brave/stupid enough to take on the job.

As for Man Utd, their spending ability is built on their success in the last couple of decades, rather than a rich owner. It's not as if they've ever spent massive amounts. The odd big signing yes, a few players in a transfer window yes, but never £100m+ for 3 seasons in a row. However, Man Utd have justified their spending with trophies and plenty of them. Unfortunately, Man City haven't managed to buy their success, if they had some might say it was justified, right now though, it isn't.

SAF has hit out because of the rate that these clubs are buying mediocre talent for inflated prices. yes fergie has spent his fare share in the market but he has not inflated the prices of players o such a degree like real or man city have done. when man city loose thier owners they will go bankrupt in about a month because of their excessive wages. i mean 250k a week for yaya?come on. its also hurting the smaller clubs or clubs in debt, for instance liverpool is in trouble over their debts and cant buy all the players they need to stay at the top.The bigger the transfer price the bigger the price for every other player.

Back