Ferguson attacks 'kamikaze' buys

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 107
  • Views Views 6K
City's first team squad are at least 120k per week on average. That's 3 times Man Utd's wages. Your point being....?

First of all, Balotelli isn't already an international. He only made 1 appearances for Italy so far, while Wayne Rooney had already scored 4 goals in Euro 2004, a big international tournament, when he signed for Man Utd. And there is one more massive difference here - wages. Rooney is reportedly on a 90k per week contract RIGHT NOW, and Balotelli is reported to be earning 180k per week RIGHT NOW in Man City. That's twice the money that Wayne Rooney, now already a proven goalscorer and performer at the highest level, is earning.

Let's talk about the wages of City's players, shall we? Robinho - 165k, Adebayor - 140k, Tevez - 140k, Yaya Toure - 200k, Mario Balotelli 180k, Kolo Toure 120k, David Silva 160k, Patrick Vieira 100k, Joleon Lescott 95k, Wayne Bridge 90k, Gareth Barry 80k, Craig Bellamy 95k (I assume City is paying his wages now, because no way Cardiff could afford it), Jerome Boateng 85k, Stephen Ireland 85k (assuming the Milner receives the same amount, although I'm pretty sure he will be receiving more) etc.

Now let's look at Man Utd. Rio Ferdinand 110k, Wayne Rooney 90k (no contract renewal yet), Berbatov 90k, Scholes 80k, Van Der Sar 50k, Giggs 70k, Fletcher 60k, Carrick 80k, Park Ji Sung 60k, Valencia 65k, Vidic 80k (new contract?), Nani 30k (not really sure about this but I heard no news about it) etc. Can you see the difference there?

Not to mention that Man Utd could definitely generate more revenues per year than Man City for now. There is more to the transfer deals rather than just the amount paid to the club.

My point is you didn't hear him moaning when he was offering the big money for transfers and wages before City and Chelsea began gazumping him. That's my whole point in it's entirity.

I have no problem with Ferguson's transfers or anything else -- I think he's done a wonderful job and deserves all the plaudits he's gets

And Balotelli is an international -- even if he's only played 2 minutes.

You're getting stuck on the fact I used Rooney as an example -- I only used those two players because their big-money transfers came at a time when their careeers were pretty similar -- Ronney had a little experience at international and Balotelli had his Champs League experience and was an international. They were both signed at a time when their countries rated them as the best up and coming youngster. The transfers are almost identical -- but Fergie wasn't bothered about 27 odd million for a teenager back in the day.

Seems like loads of sour grapes to me....he wont say a word if he could smash the transfer record whenever he wanted

Some of the posts in this thread truly are ridiculous - This is certainly the most bias thread I've seen in a while, whether it be for or against. I'm starting to think I'm the only one has even seen the press conference at all.

All I gathered from Fergie was that he was saying how United are concentrating on developing youth, as they did in the early 90's when we saw the likes of Neville bros. , Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, **** etc. - there was no accusation towards other clubs purely an acknowledgement that the teams around United are spending big and that he will not try to compete with them money-wise.

There was no undertone in his speech, he was not at angry but was simply stating that he is looking to bring the next set of youngsters through as the cycle continues. I don't believe he is a hypocrite for saying this, despite spending more than most in the last 10 years he did not say that spending money is wrong, only that the success is brings in only momentary.

I agree with him on his only controversial point made during the conference '..and I don't see it abating. The kind of spending we are seeing at the moment will be here for two or three years..' - he makes a fair point, it takes a lot more than money to bring success, yes he has spent money, he is not saying 'I've never spent money everything I've achieved is purely down to me being an amazing manager' he is pretty much warning these new oil-rich owners that you cannot say to a manager, here is £200m - go buy a team and win me some trophies; because unless the manager is a great one he will not be able to achieve anything.

I think 99% of the stuff posted, apart from what 19-11-08 said have massively over reacted one way or another. People quoting wages or whatever, who cares? So what is Toure is on £240,000 p/week - that is City's choice, I'm sure Fergie isn't scared of him or his insane wages, he knows City won't finish ahead of United, they can spend all the money in the world and still not be able to challenge.

The conclusion I gathered from this is that Fergie is saying you need to build a team, yes that involves buying but it also involves nurturing the talent you have not rejecting it - Fergie proved before that there can be a perfect mix of home-grown talent and bringing in big stars from abroad. That's just my neutral view, I don't think Fergie intended to get a reaction like this but I guess it is natural for this forum to use any excuse to have a United v City v Liverpool v Chelsea thread.

Oh and one last thing, I recommend you all actually watch the video before commenting in the future, there really should be a rule against the morons who read the stupid BBC headlines and start spouting **** almost instantly.

[Rant over]

Last edited:
Although I agree that Ferguson obviously will be frustrated at all his rival's spending spree he would not mind doing it himself if he had the money but since he does not,he goes on by saying how he wants to concentrate on his Youth Academy etc.

I agree that the Youth Academy has produced some world-class players but really can any of you see Ferguson spending as much time as he does if he had Arab money to play with...This thread is not biased against Fergie,what he says merits these comments in my opinion

That 65million was a big time one off, He signed Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves and Tevez, But this was right in the middle of chelsea's big spening surge. So he hardly did it when they couldnt.
I know very little about all this stuff, but, I just thought I'd pull you up by your nipples, and say when United signed those players in question, it was after Chelsea's big spending surge. That's all I know 8-|

Some of the posts in this thread truly are ridiculous - This is certainly the most bias thread I've seen in a while, whether it be for or against. I'm starting to think I'm the only one has even seen the press conference at all.

All I gathered from Fergie was that he was saying how United are concentrating on developing youth, as they did in the early 90's when we saw the likes of Neville bros. , Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, **** etc. - there was no accusation towards other clubs purely an acknowledgement that the teams around United are spending big and that he will not try to compete with them money-wise.

There was no undertone in his speech, he was not at angry but was simply stating that he is looking to bring the next set of youngsters through as the cycle continues. I don't believe he is a hypocrite for saying this, despite spending more than most in the last 10 years he did not say that spending money is wrong, only that the success is brings in only momentary.

I agree with him on his only controversial point mate during the conference '..and I don't see it abating. The kind of spending we are seeing at the moment will be here for two or three years..' - he makes a fair point, it takes a lot more than money to bring success, yes he has spent money, he is not saying 'I've never spent money everything I've achieved is purely down to me being an amazing manager' he is pretty much warning these new oil-rich owners that you cannot say to a manager, here is £200m - go buy a team and win me some trophies; because unless the manager is a great one he will not be able to achieve anything.

I think 99% of the stuff posted, apart from what 19-11-08 said have massively over reacted one way or another. People quoting wages or whatever, who cares? So what is Toure is on £240,000 p/week - that is City's choice, I'm sure Fergie isn't scared of him or his insane wages, he knows City won't finish ahead of United, they can spend all the money in the world and still not be able to challenge.

The conclusion I gathered from this is that Fergie is saying you need to build a team, yes that involves buying but it also involves nurturing the talent you have not rejecting it - Fergie proved before that there can be a perfect mix of home-grown talent and bringing in big stars from abroad. That's just my neutral view, I don't think Fergie intended to get a reaction like this but I guess it is natural for this forum to use any excuse to have a United v City v Liverpool v Chelsea thread.

Oh and one last thing, I recommend you all actually watch the video before commenting in the future, there really should be a rule against the morons who read the stupid BBC headlines and start spouting **** almost instantly.

[Rant over]

I will tell you, this is the best post i have read in this thread. Yes people overreacted seeing the headlines and artice, we(Few Mancs) overreacted to defend him, which both sets of fans thought they are correct in their own sense. but after reading your long post all i have to say is Spot on. Media just try to blow everything out of proportion and they are very successful in making people react the way they are.

All i want to say is Thank you. In the article last part was about youth and no surprise many ignored it.

I will tell you, this is the best post i have read in this thread. Yes people overreacted seeing the headlines and artice, we(Few Mancs) overreacted to defend him, which both sets of fans thought they are correct in their own sense. but after reading your long post all i have to say is Spot on. Media just try to blow everything out of proportion and they are very successful in making people react the way they are.

All i want to say is Thank you. In the article last part was about youth and no surprise many ignored it.

I agree sunvlik,spot-on post and I'm sure many would agree with this

Ferguson = a big cry baby....

I remember when he bought anderson, nani, hargreaves a few seasons ago and spent 50m+ so he can hardly talk... he's just ****** at ozil going to Madrid which seriously pleases me lol.

Also when he bought Veron and Ferdinand in 1 season and spent 60m+ etc...the list goes on at united...if i'm right in saying didn't he have 6 strikers before be bought hernandez and bebe so kamikaze in it's self.

But at the same time he's right and it happened before with mikel obi and wright phillips to name a few........

Last edited:
sunilvk7 Alex Ferguson used to play for The Rangers, he managed St Mirren and Aberdeen up here in Scotland Long before ever going to Man Utd and we Scots know Fergie Very well.
We know when he loses that in the main he gets mad, rants and raves in the dressing room and turns the air all shades and levels of blue... he's an arrogant sob and is one of the worst losers that the world of footy has ever known. He has played mind games from the very start of his managerial career and has always been successful. The fact now that Man Utd's big money spending is nearing an end given all the debt that HIS spending has caused and probably now put the club on the brink of bankruptancy is lost on no one and what Fergie is trying to do is deflect and deny so that he has a ready-made excuse for NOT winning the league again this season by blaming it on others and THEIR spending ... pot and kettle ... in the land of the millionaires... and it sucks big time when you run out of the money.
Take it from me .... Fergie is in a monumental 'huff' and when he comes out in a press conference and says all what he did ... just shows what a bad loser he still is.

sunilvk7 Alex Ferguson used to play for The Rangers, he managed St Mirren and Aberdeen up here in Scotland Long before ever going to Man Utd and we Scots know Fergie Very well.
We know when he loses that in the main he gets mad, rants and raves in the dressing room and turns the air all shades and levels of blue... he's an arrogant sob and is one of the worst losers that the world of footy has ever known. He has played mind games from the very start of his managerial career and has always been successful. The fact now that Man Utd's big money spending is nearing an end given all the debt that HIS spending has caused and probably now put the club on the brink of bankruptancy is lost on no one and what Fergie is trying to do is deflect and deny so that he has a ready-made excuse for NOT winning the league again this season by blaming it on others and THEIR spending ... pot and kettle ... in the land of the millionaires... and it sucks big time when you run out of the money.
Take it from me .... Fergie is in a monumental 'huff' and when he comes out in a press conference and says all what he did ... just shows what a bad loser he still is.

You know thats not true mate, nice WUMMERY tho lol

Clueless..

its amazing how one man's views can spark off such bollocks between other people.

(Man United fans) why are you all taking the bait? fans from other clubs are of course going to see us as hypacritcal seeing as compared to them, we have spent big money. its not our fault the money we spend is the money generated by the club in merchandise sales and success.

Most teams in the big 4 are quality of spending big money over the last few years. Chelsea just spend mobile number figures, Liverpool spend £20 Million on a A&E fanatic, Arsenal spend £10 Million on a defender no one has never heard off and City just spend big on anyone (for the same price for Milner, Madrird brought Ozil and Samir Khedira, crazy i no) whilst Spurs spend money on players they previously sold. Every club does it, its part of football, get ****** over it.

Lol. What a fail. In no way has our debt been caused by ferguson's spending.<)

And there was me thinking I mentioned youth in my post only for you to tell me I haven't, how foolish of me.

I think its fascinating just how weight SAF's words carry. I doubt there would have been much comment if it had been anyone else, yet you have people polarised and up in arms on both sides.

And there was me thinking I mentioned youth in my post only for you to tell me I haven't, how foolish of me.

Lol it was not for you and i said you were spot on too. You ignored that.;)

"Over the last two or three years we have seen very wealthy owners become part of football clubs and therefore go on this kamikaze effort to spend their money."

That's Sir Alex Ferguson's take on the continued summer spending of some of Manchester United's rivals. Not that he's looking at anyone in particular, of course. Near neighbours never even crossed his mind LOL!

But is there not something "kamikaze" about signing a player that you've never even seen? For £7.5 million?

Who would do that?

Well, Sir Alex Ferguson would:

"I didn't see any videos of him, it's the first time," Ferguson said. "Normally, as in the case of Javier and Chris, I saw plenty of video footage of them. You've got to trust your staff at times and our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly. So I sent David Gill down there to do the deal.

"You'd have to ask Real how interested they were but I know they were hovering and so were Benfica. So were one or two other clubs and that's where you have to make quick decisions in life and I'm not too bad about that. I also spoke to Carlos Queiroz about him. Sometimes you have to go on an instinct, you look at material. You look at their age and whether they're bringing pace, balance, desire to play and things like that."

Hmm...

"Over the last two or three years we have seen very wealthy owners become part of football clubs and therefore go on this kamikaze effort to spend their money."

That's Sir Alex Ferguson's take on the continued summer spending of some of Manchester United's rivals. Not that he's looking at anyone in particular, of course. Near neighbours never even crossed his mind LOL!

But is there not something "kamikaze" about signing a player that you've never even seen? For £7.5 million?

Who would do that?

Well, Sir Alex Ferguson would:

"I didn't see any videos of him, it's the first time," Ferguson said. "Normally, as in the case of Javier and Chris, I saw plenty of video footage of them. You've got to trust your staff at times and our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly. So I sent David Gill down there to do the deal.

"You'd have to ask Real how interested they were but I know they were hovering and so were Benfica. So were one or two other clubs and that's where you have to make quick decisions in life and I'm not too bad about that. I also spoke to Carlos Queiroz about him. Sometimes you have to go on an instinct, you look at material. You look at their age and whether they're bringing pace, balance, desire to play and things like that."

Hmm...

He has signed a player with out watching him, but he was Scouted him. He clearly trust his staff well enought o pay the money which COULD lead to 7.5million on Installments and appearance's. There is still a different from buying a player for 7.5 and 3 for 24million. then having 9 world class midfielder(madrid) or spending 120million in 5 weeks( city)

Back