Flat Pack Formations - Discovering a Legend, aka Knocking Aitor off his Perch!

I7IDanny

Reaction score

View attachment 393617

Hello - A quick heads up for anyone coming from/who saw my written story - this is the save it would have been based off before I stopped it due to lack of interest.

So, as we know, Klippybo is currently looking for his Second Coming of Aitor Herrera - the man he raves about so much (and quite rightly, beast of a regen.) However, I would like to challenge him using one of the most reputable youth systems in the UK, if not the whole of Europe.

I reckon the team that produced the Busby Babes, and Fergie's Fledgelings can produce and/or nurture a better regen than the team from San Mames can...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously the usual challenges occur with a story like this, but I will outline a few below that I can strike off as they are completed:

TEAM
- Surpass Liverpool's 5 Champions' League titles
- Achieve an unbeaten league campaign
- Achieve an unbeaten campaign in all competitions
- Reach 30 top flight titles
- Complete the Quintuple (PL, Champions' League, both domestic cups and the Club World Championship)
- Create a homegrown team (18 HG listed players in the 25 registered)

PERSONAL

-Become a Manchester United Legend
- Manage a National Team to a major trophy
- Reach the number 1 in the Worldwide Hall of Fame (Surpassing SAF in the process)
- Win 10 Manager of the Year awards
- Remain at the club for over 28 years (Again, surpassing SAF's record)

REGENS

- Surpass Ryan Giggs' record for appearances (671 League apps, 962 total apps)
- Surpass Sir Bobby Charlton's scoring record (199 goals)
- Win the European Golden Boy Award
- Be nominated for the Ballon D'Or
- Win the Ballon D'Or
- Win both the Ballon D'Or and The World Player of the Year Award in the same season
- Have a regen produced by the club worth over ?50m

So, there are my challenges, the next update will be of my first transfer window and preseason at Old Trafford. Only time will tell if I can produce a worldbeater that will knock Aitor Herrera off of his perch!

Last edited:
As a united fan can't wait to see how you get on here, its a shame that last one didnt take off but im sure this will!

View attachment 558457

Pre-Season/August:

So, my first preseason as United boss saw a promising sort of start to my reign. Transfers wise, I decided to mostly continue as I wish to go on - nurturing the youth we already had at the club, namely Adnan Januzaj, Andreas Pereira, Guillermo Valera and James Wilson. Alongside these, I made one actual incoming signing; the 17 year old striker from Stuttgart, Timo Werner for the price of 10m pounds.

In the outbound transfers, I loaned out a number of the lesser youth players, along with the permanent departures of Ashley Young (Everton) and Javier Hernandez (Paris-Saint Germain) for the combined prices of ?28m.

Staff-wise, I brought in a number of my own coaches, bringing back Rene Meulensteen (Coach) and a number of former players-turned-coaches including Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Assistant Manager), David Beckham (Coach), Michael Owen (U21s Assistant Manager) and Owen Hargreaves (U18's Assistant Manager). Aitor Olmo (Coach) and Juup Hiele (Goalkeeping Coach) also joined the staff.

Friendlies:

View attachment 393607

Manchester United 1 (Rooney 26)
Cruz Azul 1 (Barrera 73)

A rather lackluster start to my reign, but at least it wasn't a loss with many players still needing to regain fitness.

Manchester United 2 (Werner 11, Pereira 81)
CSKA Moscow 0

Victory with a number of first teamers rested, and a first goal for the young German signing. Positive signs coming from the team.

Toulouse FC 0
Manchester United 1 (Mata 58)

Struggling to a result in the first game of our France tour but a Juan Mata freekick made sure we got the win.

En Avant De Guingamp 2 (Mathis 8, Diallo 53)
Manchester United 5 (Mata 15, Werner 18, 28, Wilson 62, Rooney 86)

A dominant win, worried for a moment when we went behind early on but two goals from Timo Werner put us in the driving season, with James Wilson and Rooney putting the result beyond all doubt late on.

US Creteil-Lusitanos 1 (Oliviera 87)
Manchester United 2 (Werner 32, 46)

Another two goals from the youngster from Stuttgart. On performances like this, Van Persie will struggle to find a place in the first team...

SL Benfica 1 (Cardozo 58)
Manchester United 2 (Werner 41, Mata 76)

Yet another goal for Timo Werner... What a run this is turning out to be for the lad as we defeated Benfica in the penultimate friendly before the Community Shield.

Chorley 0
Manchester United 4 (Janko 10, Wilson 32, 56, 81)

I gave the youngsters a run out here against the non-league opposition, with James Wilson netting an excellent hattrick to finish off our preseason with a flourish.

Community Shield

View attachment 558450

Manchester United 3 (Mata 41, Rooney 52, Werner 78)
Wigan Athletic 1 (McManaman 71)

A comfortable win in the end, but Robin Van Persie showed signs of his aging legs as he struggled, made worse by his replacement coming on and scoring the third.

Premier League

View attachment 558453

Manchester City 3 (Kompany 17, Aguero 71, 88)
Manchester United 1 (Jones 52)

Not the greatest of places to go to as your first Premier League game, and it showed. Jones looked to have grabbed us a little bit of hope with an equaliser, but a late Sergio Aguero brace killed us off.

Hull City 0
Manchester United 1 (Rooney 10)

An early Wayne Rooney goal got us the points, but on another day it could've been four or five. McGregor had a man of the match performance in their goal, despite losing.

Crystal Palace 1 (Thomas 66)
Manchester United 2 (Werner 14, 51)

My decision to start Timo Werner in place of the misfiring Robin Van Persie paid off as the youngster netted his first two Premier League goals, ending the month on a high.

Lineups:
Opp
GKLBCBCBRBDMCMAMCRAMCAMCLSTSubs
Wigan Athletic
(W 3-1)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajVan PersieTimo Werner, Andreas Pereira
Manchester City
(L 1-3)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajVan PersieTimo Werner, Tom Cleverley
Hull City
(W 1-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataPereiraVan PersieSaidy Janko, Timo Werner
Crystal Palace
(W 2-1)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWerner 2Michael Keane, Andreas Pereira

Summary

A good preseason and a trophy under my belt already, albeit the relatively easy Community Shield against Wigan that every United manager on FM should be winning. Disappointed to lose at City, but going to the Etihad for the first game of a new save was always going to be difficult and we recovered well enough.

Player of the Month

View attachment 393602

Timo Werner
Need I say anymore? Netting three goals in 4 games, whilst managing to oust (a misfiring, but still) Robin Van Persie from the team.

Last edited:
View attachment 393597

September:

Premier League:

Manchester United 3 (Mata 31, Van Persie 56, Rooney 72)
Southampton 0

Another big win for the team, whilst I was surprised at how easily So'ton rolled over defeated. Nevertheless, 3 more points on the board for us.

--

UEFA Champions' League Group Stages

Manchester United 0
Paris-Saint Germain 0

Even though the game ended goalless, it was anything but boring. We hit the post twice, whilst PSG missed a penalty from Ezequiel Lavezzi.

--

Norwich City 0
Manchester United 4 (Rooney 22, 34, Werner 57, Januzaj 78)

A great win away from home, albeit against a side we 'should' be beating anyway. Adnan grabbing his first goal whilst Timo Werner continued his scoring run.

--

Capital One Cup, 3rd Round

Liverpool 2 (Suarez 44, 63)
Manchester United 2 (Werner 10, Mata 78)
(Manchester United win 5-3 on penalty kicks)

It may have taken until the penalty shootout, but we got one over on our big rivals. Next up, an away draw against Wigan Athletic in the 4th Round.

--

Manchester United 3 (Van Persie 8, Mata 42, 68)
Fulham 0

Nice to see Robin Van Persie supposedly over his misfiring spell, but even this game he was overshadowed by two great strikes from Juan Mata.

Lineups:
OppGKLBCBCBRBDMCMAMCRAMCAMCLSTSUBS
So'ton
(W 3-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajVan PersieAndreas Pereira, James Wilson
PSG
(D 0-0)

De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerTom Cleverley, Robin Van Persie, Danny Welbeck
Norwich City
(W 4-0)

De GeaButtnerJonesEvansValeraCarrickFellainiRooney 2MataJanuzajWernerBen Pearson, Saidy Janko
Liverpool
(W 2-2, 5-3 on pens)

De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerTom Cleverley, Danny Welbeck, Robin Van Persie
Fulham
(W 3-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiPereiraMata 2JanuzajVan PersieSaidy Janko, Ben Pearson, James Wilson

Summary

Almost got a 100% record this month, only the draw against PSG going down as a black mark on the fixture list. Juan Mata was excellent all month, whilst RVP seemed to finally find his scoring boots again after losing his position to Timo Werner.

Player of the Month

View attachment 393598

Juan Mata.

A fantastic series of performances from the central AMC position, backed up by a number of goals and assists.

Nice start mate, like the list of challenges you've set. Should keep things very interesting!

Nice start mate, like the list of challenges you've set. Should keep things very interesting!

Aye, hopefully. Since I'm a couple of seasons in already, I won't be able to give monthly table updates until I catch back up with the save, only yearly ones.

View attachment 393580

October

Dortmund 0
Manchester United 4 (Werner 4, 16, Mata 44, Januzaj 77)

A fantastic win over one of the real strong contenders in our group. Werner came back to Germany and put Dortmund to the sword with a brace.

--

Premier League

Sunderland 0
Manchester United 1 (Jones 61)

Took a while, but we finally broke through for the deserved win, Vice-Captain Phil Jones heading in from a corner.

--

Manchester United 3 (Mata 13, Rooney 41, 83)
Everton 1 (Lukaku 3)

We had a scare when the loanee Lukaku put his team ahead, but a brace from former Toffee Rooney put us in the driving seat.

--

BATE Borisov 2 (Aleksiyevich 72, Krivets 90+2)
Manchester United 4 (Januzaj 23, 31, Mata 44, Werner 63)

We avoided a late scare as BATE pulled two goals back in the last twenty minutes, but a brace from Adnan Januzaj had already put us in control.

--

Aston Villa 0
Manchester United 3 (Mata 16, 57, 88)

A hattrick from Juan Mata killed off Villa in a very strong showing from the team.

--

Capital One Cup, 4th Round

Manchester United 3 (Werner 14, Lingard 33, Wilson 90+1)
Wigan Athletic 1 (Maloney 66)

Another great performance from the youngsters, with a repeat scoreline of the Community Shield earlier in the season.

Lineups:
OppGKLBCBCBRBDMCMAMCRAMCAMCLSTSubs
Dortmund
(W 4-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWerner 2
Danny Welbeck
Sunderland
(W 1-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiWelbeckMataPereiraWernerRobin Van Persie, Adnan Januzaj
Everton
(W 3-1)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooney 2MataWelbeckWernerAndreas Pereira, Michael Keane
BATE Borisov
(W 4-2)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansVarelaCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzaj 2WernerTom Cleverley, Andreas Pereira, James Wilson
Aston Villa
(W 3-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMata 3JanuzajVan PersieTom Cleverley, Timo Werner
Wigan Athletic
(W 3-1)
De GeaButtnerJonesKeaneVarelaPearsonCleverleyLingardPereiraJanuzajWernerJames Wilson, Juan Mata
Summary

A 100% month! Whilst in a tough October (on paper) is impressive in itself, but dominant victories over Dortmund, Everton and Villa made it all the sweeter. We are looking strong in all competitions we are in, and the team is gelling superbly.

Player of the Month

View attachment 393581

Juan Mata

For the second month running, the record signing destroyed the teams we played against - a hattrick against Villa and goals against Everton, BATE and Dortmund took him to 6 goals in 6 games for this month.

Least he's not my Physio! :D

He'd make a great therapist! Surprised you signed him though scumbags complaints about he was treated after picking up a good wage for doing HeeHaw for the time he was at the club!

View attachment 393391

November

Premier League

Arsenal 1 (Giroud 61)
Manchester United 0

Annoyingly, our first loss since the opening day of the season. We got hit on the counter as we pushed for the win.

--

Manchester United 6 (Januzaj 4, Werner 12, 52, 78, 90+1, Lingard 55)
BATE Borisov 0

And that is the way to bounce back! Werner netting an incredible 4 goal haul as we demolished BATE.

--

West Ham United 0
Manchester United 2 (Lingard 60, 65)

Jesse Lingard, the super sub strikes again! Not moments after coming on, he nets a brace to seal up what had been to that point a nervy match.

--

Cardiff City 0
Manchester United 2 (Werner 4, 51)

That man strikes again. Timo Werner netting another brace to give us another 3 points in the title race.

--

UEFA Champions' League Group Stage

Paris-Saint Germain 3 (Pastore 36, Verratti 61, 84)
Manchester United 3 (Werner 49, 90+3, Lingard 79)

What a nervewracking game! Thought we'd got the point at 2-2, then Timo Werner grabbed the equaliser, making it 3-3 at the death.

--

Stoke City 1 (Arnautovic 45)
Manchester United 4 (Januzaj 8, 82, Carrick 29, Rooney 71)

A good performance, even seeing Michael Carrick grab a goal from the penalty spot. The bad news was that Juan Mata, after a month of slight knocks, went off injured - fortunately doesn't look too bad, however.

--

Lineups
Arsenal
(L 0-1)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerJesse Lingard
BATE
(W 6-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansVarelaCarrickFellainiRooneyLingardJanuzajWerner 4
Andreas Pereira
West Ham
(W 2-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyPereiraJanuzajWernerJesse Lingard 2, Michael Keane
Cardiff
(W 2-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyLingardPereiraWerner 2 -
PSG
(D 3-3)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyLingardPereiraWerner 2Guillermo Varela, Juan Mata, Tom Cleverley
Stoke
(W 4-1)
De GeaButtnerJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzaj 2WernerGuillermo Varela, Andreas Pereira

Summary

Aside from the loss to Arsenal, not a bad month at all! Big wins at Stoke and BATE have the squad's morale sky high, whilst even the fringe players are getting games and scoring goals.

Player of the Month

View attachment 393392

Timo Werner

A huge haul of goals this month from the seventeen year old striker, who has totally ousted Robin Van Persie from the team. Honourable mention to Jesse Lingard as well who netted four goals this month.

Last edited:

View attachment 393353

December

Premier League

Swansea City 0
Manchester United 3 (Mata 11, Vorm OG 28, Carrick 75)

Another great win to keep up the form, Carrick netting another penalty whilst Mata impressed on his return to fitness.

--

Chelsea 0
Manchester United 3 (Rooney 3, Lingard 5, Werner 18)

A 20 minute salvo ensured that we went home winners, with Lingard and Werner keeping up their scoring streaks, and looking great as a team against one of our main title rivals.

--

Manchester United 3 (Werner 22, Evra 30, Mata 90+2)
Dortmund 1 (Lewandowski 45+1)

And we qualified as top of our group with another dominant win over Dortmund, with even Patrice Evra getting on the scoresheet!.

--

Newcastle United 1 (Obertan 76)
Manchester United 1 (Mata 30)

We squandered a number of chances, and then got hit on the break by a former United player, Gabriel Obertan. Two points dropped.

--

Capital One Cup Quarter Final

Arsenal 0
Manchester United 3 (Rooney 13, Mata 27 Jones 71)

Revenge for the previous month, as both captain Wayne Rooney and vice captain Phil Jones got onto the scoresheet to take us through to the Semi-finals.

--
Tottenham Hotspur 0
Manchester United 1 (Rooney 26)

An early goal from Wayne Rooney sent us onto the road to victory, with a strong defensive show guaranteeing the win.

--

Liverpool 0
Manchester United 3 (Werner 11, 90+2, M. Keane 61)

A massive win over our big rivals, with the debutant for injured Jonny Evans, Michael Keane, scoring on his first Premier League start.

--

Lineups
Swansea
(W 3-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataLingardWernerAdnan Januzaj
Chelsea
(W 3-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyLingardJanuzajWerner
Andreas Pereira, Guillermo Varela, Ben Pearson
Dortmund
(W 3-1)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyLingardJanuzajWernerJuan Mata, Ben Pearson
Newcastle
(D 1-1)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerGuillermo Varela, Jesse Lingard
Arsenal
(W 3-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerJesse Lingard, Ben Pearson
Tottenham
(W 1-0)
De GeaEvraJonesEvansRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerAndreas Pereira, Jesse Lingard
Liverpool
(W 3-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesKeaneRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWerner 2-

Summary

A fantastic month! Big victories over Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal (in the cup) and Chelsea saw us move into a two-horse race with City for the league. Another bonus was that we qualified top of our CL group, and found that we would be playing Ajax in the first Knockout Round...

Player of the Month

View attachment 393325

Wayne Rooney

Three goals and a number of fantastic performances from the club captain, whilst Mata, Lingard and Werner all had good shouts for the POTM award.

Last edited:
View attachment 392937

January

No-one in, and only a few young players leaving to lower league cubs on loan in a very quiet January transfer window.

Premier League

West Bromwich Albion 0

Manchester United 4 (Werner 3, 55, 75, Evra 26)

A great away win, with Werner banging in a hattrick. The German is looking like an inspired signing.

--

FA Cup 3rd Round

QPR 1 (Phillips 72)
Manchester United 2 (Werner 38, Pereira 90+1)

The young lads narrowly scraped past QPR, where I may have been guilty of underestimating their side a little. Never the less, we got through.

--

Carling Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 3 (Werner 38, 87, Mata 66)
West Bromwich Albion 1 (Brunt 33)

Werner definitely likes playing against WBA, doesn't he! Another brace to add to his collection and putting us in the driving seat for the return leg at OT.

--

Hull City 0
Manchester United 3 (Werner 28, Januzaj 30, Welbeck 80)

A good solid win against Hull, and yet another Werner goal. Only Suarez so far has more goals this season in the League.

--

Manchester City 2 (Nasri 82, Toure 88)

Manchester United 2 (M. Keane 59, Pearson 84)

Eightieth minute, I thought we'd won it. Eighty-fifth minute, I thought we'd won it. Both times pegged back by our City rivals.

--
Crystal Palace 0
Manchester United 1 (Rooney 5)

An early goal from Wayne Rooney sent us onto the road to victory, giving a similar story to the Spurs game last month.

--

Capital One Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

Manchester United 0
West Bromwich Albion 2 (Popov 54, Brunt 90+2)

(Manchester United win on away goals)

A poor performance in all, but we ended up through by the narrowest of margins to play Newcastle in the final.

--

FA Cup 4th Round

Arsenal 3 (Giroud 1, Podolski 37, 41)
Manchester United 3 (Giroud O.G 38, Werner 55, Welbeck 83)

A thrilling game, and one that gets us a home replay. Just glad we managed to come back from 2-0 and 3-1 down so strongly.

--

Southampton 0

Manchester United 1 (Mata 87)

A poor performance, but a late goal from Mata got us the three points.

--

Lineups
WBA
(W 4-0)
De GeaEvraJonesKeaneRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWerner 3Guillermo Varela, Ben Pearson
QPR
(W 2-1)
De GeaEvraJonesKeaneRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerAndreas Pereira, Danny Welbeck
WBA
(W 3-1)
De GeaEvraJonesKeaneRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWerner 2Andreas Pereira, Ben Pearson
Hull
(W 3-0)
De GeaEvraJonesKeaneRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerDanny Welbeck
Man City
(D 2-2)
De GeaEvraJonesKeaneRafaelCarrickFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerDanny Welbeck, Andreas Pereira, Ben Pearson
Crystal Palace
(W 1-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesKeaneRafaelPearsonFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerJoe Rothwell
WBA
(L 0-2)a

De GeaButtnerJonesKeaneRafaelPearsonFellainiRooneyMataJanuzajWernerJoe Rothwell, Danny Welbeck, Andreas Pereira
Arsenal
(D 3-3)

De GeaButtnerJonesKeaneRafaelFellainiPearsonRooneyMataJanuzajWernerJoe Rothwell, Jesse Lingard, Danny Welbeck
So'ton
(W 1-0)
De GeaButtnerJonesKeaneRafaelFellainiPearsonRooneyMataJanuzajWernerJesse Lingard, Danny Welbeck

Summary

After playing a LOT of games this month, including playing WBA three times, we ended up keeping our title charge
going, and still in with a chance of all four trophies.

Player of the Month

View attachment 392939

Timo Werner

Eight goals, even though he burnt out a little towards the end of the month, and 4 MOTM performances. RVP who?

View attachment 391491

February

Premier League

Manchester United 2 (M. Keane 34, Werner 51)
Norwich City 0

Michael Keane grabbed a goal as he continued in the injured Evans' stead, and Timo Werner continued his fantastic form this year with yet another goal.

--

FA Cup 4th Round Replay

Manchester United 1 (Jones 62)
Arsenal 0

We finally got past Arsenal to set up a 5th round tie with Wigan, playing the North-West side yet again this season after Jones netted from a corner.

--

Manchester United 2 (Werner 17, Pearson 90+2)

Sunderland 0

Another day, another goal for Timo Werner. A comfortable victory in the end sealed by Ben Pearson's late effort.

--

Fulham 0
Manchester United 1 (Rooney 67)

This time we dragged ourselves over the finish line, playing poorly but still managing to grind out the draw due to a scrappy goal from Wayne Rooney.

--

FA Cup 5th Round

Manchester United 2 (Werner 66, Lingard 86)
Wigan Athletic 0

It might have taken until the second half, and a late penalty kick from Jesse Lingard, but the team made it into the FA Cup Quarters, keeping our dream of a first year Quadruple alive.

--

Champions' League 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

Ajax Amsterdam 1 (Fischer 40)
Manchester United 5 (Werner 25, 55, 64, Januzaj 44, Lingard 82)

What a performance! Five away goals means we are all but confirmed to be in the Champions' League quarter final draw next month, and Timo Werner tops the scoring charts in Europe's elite competition.

--

Everton 2 (Deulofeu 9, Lukaku 20)
Manchester United 1 (Rooney 5)

Unfortunately we struggled after the European night, getting an early goal but dropping off the pace soon after. A poor performance.

Summary

A month of great results, especially with the youth intake coming through in the next month. Unfortunately, a chance at another perfect month was ruined by the loss to Everton at Goodison Park. Nevertheless, we continue on at a very strong pace towards the title.

Player of the Month

View attachment 391493

Timo Werner

Yet again the young German takes this award, fantastic player and what a signing he is looking to be.

Last edited: